Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zero VGS posted:

I've put about the 20 hours into Outer Worlds and it is an irredeemable piece of poo poo on it's own, *before* anyone dares compare it to this masterpiece. It offends me that it is showing up on GOTY lists. It literally feels like Fallout 3 in gameplay, graphics and writing. Literally no improvements from an 11 year old game. Yeah I'm mad. Anyway I quit playing that to pick this up and never looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LULNZxZ-QG8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Zero VGS posted:

I've put about the 20 hours into Outer Worlds and it is an irredeemable piece of poo poo on it's own, *before* anyone dares compare it to this masterpiece. It offends me that it is showing up on GOTY lists. It literally feels like Fallout 3 in gameplay, graphics and writing. Literally no improvements from an 11 year old game. Yeah I'm mad. Anyway I quit playing that to pick this up and never looked back.

it surprises me that people couldn't figure out it was going to be poo poo with that trailer with the epic british girl XDD who does the epic fingerguns XDDD

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Infinite Karma posted:

The best sequel would be Joyce losing her grip on time sailing through the Pale and waking up on some other place with amnesia, and not knowing where her boat is or why she's there. As she figures out that she's working her fixer mojo in this new place, she decides if she's going to pull the company line or work towards something better, and also find her loving boat to get off this wretched place. Basically Tyranny but Disco.

I never imagined this possibility but I am so in.

also fits devastatingly well with a revelation about the Pale and Revachol's isola that's apparently skippable

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 20, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I would love a Joyce Wheels and Deals sequel.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Horizon Burning posted:

it surprises me that people couldn't figure out it was going to be poo poo with that trailer with the epic british girl XDD who does the epic fingerguns XDDD

Feelin p smug about calling this tbh, my predictions are normally terrible

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
as if the microsoft corporation would allow disco elysium to win over the outer worlds

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There should be 'for your consideration' campaigns for the game awards. Outer worlds could give out some polished rebranded rick and morty merch and DE could give out some official frittte plastic bags

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If they are allowing the public to vote for the winners I pretty much immediately dismiss any award as, if nothing else, an entirely predictable and boring contest of "which game has the most players".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fangz posted:

If they are allowing the public to vote for the winners I pretty much immediately dismiss any award as, if nothing else, an entirely predictable and boring contest of "which game has the most players".

I think DE has a chance in the RPG category. The field isn't great.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
outer worlds just feels like well we have to put something

is it true the DE dev(s?) wrote a book before the game?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Relin posted:

is it true the DE dev(s?) wrote a book before the game?
Yeah, they're planning on translating it into English soon.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just finished. Phenomenal game, a couple questions.

1. The only task I had left incomplete was making Egg Head's music more hardcore. I found the Van Eyck reel and had it repaired, but the bass was still lacking. Where was that? Shivvers told me it was in the hawthorne tree again, but I didn't find anything there.

2. I had the thought that was supposed to lower the thresholds for critical success/failure by 1, but it didn't seem to work on the check with the phasmid in the ending. I savescummed that one, and rolled a few 11s that weren't counted as successes before giving up. Is the thought bugged, or does it not work with red checks, or is that check in particular special?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Thoom posted:

Just finished. Phenomenal game, a couple questions.

1. The only task I had left incomplete was making Egg Head's music more hardcore. I found the Van Eyck reel and had it repaired, but the bass was still lacking. Where was that? Shivvers told me it was in the hawthorne tree again, but I didn't find anything there.

2. I had the thought that was supposed to lower the thresholds for critical success/failure by 1, but it didn't seem to work on the check with the phasmid in the ending. I savescummed that one, and rolled a few 11s that weren't counted as successes before giving up. Is the thought bugged, or does it not work with red checks, or is that check in particular special?

1 you need to complete the other quest in the church to get suitable bass.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Roobanguy posted:

1 you need to complete the other quest in the church to get suitable bass.

Does that mean doing the dancing skill check? I fully helped out Soona as far as I could tell. Did I just forget to talk to Egg Head after that? That sounds like something I would do.

Edit: Yup, that was it.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 20, 2019

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

hey it wouldnt be the first time a good rpg has terrible marketing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SuJ5T9sfAA

unfortunately the outer worlds wasnt so lucky

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I wonder how much of a stretch it is to assume the big white cloud in the back is The Pale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Songbearer posted:

I wonder how much of a stretch it is to assume the big white cloud in the back is The Pale.

the neat thing about this is, it's from the viewpoint of the island.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

gently caress

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

...gently caress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I know right

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Outer Worlds just confuses me. Were all the people who wrote Tyranny and Pillars 2 sick or something? Was it Boyarsky and Cain being in charge? What the gently caress happened.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what actually are the faults of outer worlds? i haven't played it past getting parvati and then i got distracted by sending packages in NotIceland as budget Sigur Ros plays

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone has beaten DE and needs another bizarro detective game... Shenmue 3 came out tonight! It's uh... extremely Shenmue.

edit:

Turtle Racing

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 20, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what actually are the faults of outer worlds? i haven't played it past getting parvati and then i got distracted by sending packages in NotIceland as budget Sigur Ros plays

It's just shallow and bland, not terrible but def mediocre

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As I understand it, it's basically "do you want to play F:NV again? With minor graphical and stability upgrades, but a step or two back in writing quality?"

I think even if it was as well written as NV... you know, it's been 10 years. Time to try something new?

This is basically the equivalent of COD sequel fatigue, except for people who really want their videogames to make them feel smart.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

complete mechanical/writing/environmental failure.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

That might be what it would look since, since it's apparently visible by a roiling cloud of atmospheric debris thrown up at the edge, kind of like the accretion disc of a black hole. Though it's thousands of km away so nobody can actually see it from Revachol. It might just be a really cool looking sunrise.

The neat thing I figured out is that Revachol's royal insignia is the sun with a bunch of smaller suns around it, based off an inexplicable atmospheric phenomena that looks really cool and is only visible in Revachol. The number matches up with the number of colonial churches that were built, so the implication is that each church was indeed built around a hole, and the pale-holes are warping the light and creating weird prismatic sunset effects.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Outer Worlds just confuses me. Were all the people who wrote Tyranny and Pillars 2 sick or something? Was it Boyarsky and Cain being in charge? What the gently caress happened.

The lead author's most recent work is diablo 3

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is there a way to become a hobo if you have the money to stay at Garte's and have stayed there already? I want to choose to sleep on the bench/street but don't know how to trigger it

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Calico Heart posted:

Is there a way to become a hobo if you have the money to stay at Garte's and have stayed there already? I want to choose to sleep on the bench/street but don't know how to trigger it
Nope. It's a weird omission - apparently most everyone assumed that sleeping rough is part of the hobocop experience, but there are only two places to sleep in the game, and both include a roof over your head.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

As much as I like Obsidian, I feel they have been doing the "same old formula" since New Vegas. The only real step outside of that was Tyranny, which was excellent, but according to both Avellone's rpgcodex rant (which was just a hosed up thing all around lmao, both by obsidian assuming the truth of some of his statements, and also the fact that avellone of all people went to a loving alt-right infested hellhole to air his grievances) and the lead Tyranny designer the idea itself and some of the setpieces/characters were Avellone's, so that helps explain why some of that magic would be gone now. Call Avellone ego-driven and pretentious all you want, there's a big reason Disco Elysium has him at the top of the Thanks list in the credits and the ZA/UM guys had him beta test the game: the guy is a visionary, probably the closest thing western games had to the japanese game auteurs like Miyazaki/Taro et al before ZA/UM came along.

That being said, I haven't played Pillars 2. Is the writing more interesting than in non-Tyranny Obsidian products?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pillars 2 is real real good, and it's a God drat shame more people haven't played it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mulva posted:

Pillars 2 is real real good, and it's a God drat shame more people haven't played it.

I have it in my library, it's just after Pillars 1 I was like "meh, I'm kinda good." The only reason I played Tyranny was because I heard the elevator pitch of Fantasy Judge Dredd, and it ended up not having much combat - which is what bogs down PoE imo. Turns out, combat in western RPGs is not very memorable, it's just kind of a thing that happens. Very rarely you get stuff that's properly designed to be memorable and interesting like, say, combat in Chrono Trigger was, or Disco Elysium's tribunal scene.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Tyranny is great as long as you play it the right way - the game really only has two paths that are satisfying. The "be a hero and save the world" and "be a lone wolf and go it alone" kind of miss what makes the theme and setting special.

Pillars 2 absolutely owns.

Outer Worlds is a fun game and perfectly enjoyable, but the one sentence review on the front page really nailed it. It's Obsidian on their best behaviour, meeting your parents and not doing anything risky. It makes sense to me as Microsoft just bought them up after two games that underperformed. I wouldn't hold it against them to have their first game after that play it safe.

Just really hoping they don't make Pillars 3 a Skyrim wannabe.

dex_sda posted:

I have it in my library, it's just after Pillars 1 I was like "meh, I'm kinda good." The only reason I played Tyranny was because I heard the elevator pitch of Fantasy Judge Dredd, and it ended up not having much combat - which is what bogs down PoE imo. Turns out, combat in western RPGs is not very memorable, it's just kind of a thing that happens. Very rarely you get stuff that's properly designed to be memorable and interesting like, say, combat in Chrono Trigger was, or Disco Elysium's tribunal scene.

IMO Real-Time-Wth-Pause is a weird holdover from the AD&D games which was never really thrilling but people grew up with it so it stuck around. Pillars 2 is a much better game with a great story, world and cast and you have the option to play it turn-based, which makes the combat more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Really I might be double spoiled now, because after this and running a Blades in the Dark pnp half-season I have had so much memorable and interesting loving combat in RPGs and none of it ever involved inventory bullshit, placing miniatures or rolling initiative/pausing the game.

By the way, to guys who play pen and paper here and want a little bit of that DE feel: get a Blades in the Dark game going with a decent GM. It's very creative and has some of that Disco Elysium skill feel.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

WHAT IN THE ABSOLUTE poo poo :psyboom:

Zero VGS posted:

If anyone has beaten DE and needs another bizarro detective game... Shenmue 3 came out tonight! It's uh... extremely Shenmue.

edit:

Turtle Racing

Wait are you screwing with me? When did this drop? And how come I heard absolutely nothing? I feel like that's not a good sign.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 20, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Tyranny is great as long as you play it the right way - the game really only has two paths that are satisfying. The "be a hero and save the world" and "be a lone wolf and go it alone" kind of miss what makes the theme and setting special.

I actually really liked the be a hero path - it has that 'gently caress the police' feel of going against the flow - but you are correct that the most interesting thing in that game was siding with one of the evil sides, and that the 'lone wolf' path is super boring.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

dex_sda posted:

Really I might be double spoiled now, because after this and running a Blades in the Dark pnp half-season I have had so much memorable and interesting loving combat in RPGs and none of it ever involved inventory bullshit, placing miniatures or rolling initiative/pausing the game.

By the way, to guys who play pen and paper here and want a little bit of that DE feel: get a Blades in the Dark game going with a decent GM. It's very creative and has some of that Disco Elysium skill feel.

Blades in the Dark is really fun! I think there are actual combat rules buried somewhere deep in the book but really you should treat combat encounters in it as puzzles to be solved with the tools at your disposal rather than HP bars trickling down. The same goes for Burning Wheel - a great, in-depth roleplaying game where you just need to ignore everything they wrote about combat and use the "light" rules.

dex_sda posted:

I actually really liked the be a hero path - it has that 'gently caress the police' feel of going against the flow - but you are correct that the most interesting thing in that game was siding with one of the evil sides, and that the 'lone wolf' path is super boring.

Yeah, I think going into the game thinking "I'm going to try being as moral as possible in a completely immoral world" leads to a really fantastic and singular experience.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Blades in the Dark is really fun! I think there are actual combat rules buried somewhere deep in the book but really you should treat combat encounters in it as puzzles to be solved with the tools at your disposal rather than HP bars trickling down. The same goes for Burning Wheel - a great, in-depth roleplaying game where you just need to ignore everything they wrote about combat and use the "light" rules.

The combat in BitD is the same as anything in the game: you make a clock for an obstacle (enemies/big boss/whatev's) and then players figure out ways to chip at the clock with their skills. You roll, and see how much success happened, and how many problems popped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

dex_sda posted:

The combat in BitD is the same as anything in the game: you make a clock for an obstacle (enemies/big boss/whatev's) and then players figure out ways to chip at the clock with their skills. You roll, and see how much success happened, and how many problems popped up.

Yeah - the only problem with having the clock though is that if the players get a number of bad rolls you can end up "spinning your wheels" as the game doesn't want you to just try the same poo poo over and over. A lot of the time this can be fine if the players/GM are innovative enough but if you get yourself into a situation where there isn't much creativity to be had I can see it being a bit of a slog.

World of BitD is also pretty fun. I was three games in before I realised there are no horses in the world and everyone used goat-drawn carriages.