Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i can't loving believe kabu has my trainer number

someone dig this boomer a grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Thievul is my new favorite pokemon. I just steal leeks from ducks and run away.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Caught my first good (sorry Meowth) Gigantamax: Corviknight. Doesn't seem amazing on stats but it's solid enough, especially with it only being weak to fire and electric while being immune to two types and resistant to a whole lot more. Picked up a Bisharp right after and a Steelix right before it so I went from having no decent steel options to having several.

Blaziken386 posted:

uh, no

sorry, but that's never been a thing in pokemon

the only recolors are "shiny" pokemon, with a different, set, color scheme, and the chance of finding one without specifically trying to breed or chain for it is like, 1 in 4000.

In hindsight I guess it was silly to hope for a new mechanic like that when Sword and Shield have cut back a bit overall. :(

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God dam Bede is insufferable. I’m making it my missions to one shot him every single time.

My Gardivoir has done this repeatedly and it never gets old. I never used Gardevoir much in the other games and that was clearly a mistake. Maybe it wasn't as good before fairy type existed but a psychic + fairy type with moonbeam and psychic wrecks poo poo even when it isn't weak against that typing. I had a Golisopod setup for the ice gym, not realizing how annoying Emergency Exit was, so I just swapped to Gardevoir and murdered everything. HP gets low? Use Draining Kiss and there's a big chunk of HP recovered if the target wasn't already near-dead.

Dad Jokes posted:

I've had luck manually disconnecting to local and reconnecting to internet to refresh cards. Kind of weird that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the refresh option to appear.

I wouldn't be surprised if the long delay is because letting people refresh often would cause server issues due to a few (million) people refreshing for raids every few seconds. It still sucks though. I hit x, refresh stamps, and any rare/good pokemon raid is usually already full. I hosted a Ditto raid once and 3 people filled it within a couple seconds.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Genovera posted:

<breeding effortpost>
Yesterday I discovered that the pikachu you get from playing Let's Go has 6 perfect IVs. Mine is also male, and pikachu is in the field and fairy egg groups, which cover a lot of pokemon. I'm going to use him to make a team of powerful dads, one per egg group.

I started breeding for a pair of 5 perfect IV (or a single 6IV if I get lucky) pokemon for each egg group, using my 6IV male pikachu as a starting point. It has been going way faster than I expected.

I have a 4IV female swoobat from a 5* raid battle, and she is field/flying egg group. I was able to breed five 5IV male woobats out of 10 eggs. I could have stopped sooner but I got some spares to give to friends. After that, I started breeding pikachu with quagsire (field/water 1 egg group). My quagsire was only 1IV, but the first egg hatched into a 4IV female, and that wooper got me a 5IV female within an egg or two. Getting a couple 5IV male woopers will be trivial at this point.

I didn't realize how much having that 6IV Let's Go bonus Pikachu would help!

Edit: I got a 6IV male wooper :D

Genovera fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 20, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey I have a silly competitive question that came up when talking to a friend, but what are the odds that there's going to be fake out tactics thanks to the animations of Dynamax pokemon?

A physical Max Flare looks the exact same as a special Max Flare so I'm wondering if people could, in theory make a gimmick build that can mask which defense you'd be hitting, or if that would just be useless :v:

Also hey I'm over 310 pokemon in my dex. Already almost done so now my thoughts are just drifting to how the hell I'm going to get a foreign ditto

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Quick question: Is there an actual use for Tiny/Big Mushrooms in Sw/Sh besides selling them?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey I have a silly competitive question that came up when talking to a friend, but what are the odds that there's going to be fake out tactics thanks to the animations of Dynamax pokemon?

A physical Max Flare looks the exact same as a special Max Flare so I'm wondering if people could, in theory make a gimmick build that can mask which defense you'd be hitting, or if that would just be useless :v:

Also hey I'm over 310 pokemon in my dex. Already almost done so now my thoughts are just drifting to how the hell I'm going to get a foreign ditto

I think you could, but I am not entirely sure if it would make enough difference to matter?

E; Because either you are using a flexible mon where people won't be too surprised by either physical or special, or you've got to use something in a role it's less suited for, which probably doesn't give enough benefit to make up for the inherent disadvantage.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm already starting to develop a living pokedex in Sw/Sh since i won't be able to transfer all of my current living dex (which, granted is down about 10 guys, mostly event mons)

i think i have an illness. on the bright side, PokeJobs are going to make it significantly easier. I've pretty much non-stop been sending out as many pokemon as I can for either whole/half day jobs, and some of the EXP numbers you get are absurd. I think the highest I've seen so far is around 35k for one 24 hour job, which was enough to launch my level 5 gift Eevee/Meowth over level 30 without a single battle. I'm sure if I really wanted to I could actually train them, but this way they don't get any EVs, I don't have to spend any active time doing anything, and now that I'm done with the story, those jobs can be up to 30 at a time, which is definitely way more than I could do on my own.

Has anyone else had trouble determining the requirements for some of the more esoteric jobs? if they have a type it's pretty obvious, but when it asks for "cute" or "fierce" or "intimidating" or "solid and well grounded" i just kinda toss some up and hope for the best. Not to mention the weird one I just got that was just "kEeP tHiS tOp SeCrEt aNd YoU WiLl bE ReWaRdEd HaNdSoMeLy" in that really annoying typing pattern

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finding yourself in a situation where the damage numbers line up well enough for you to plausibly bluff the opposite damage category is going to be rare enough that this probably isn't worth planning around. At most it might make already viable mixed attackers slightly more popular, but nothing that couldn't already pull off a mixed set is going to run one because of this.

The closest thing to this particular sort of mind game that's relevant in competitive is probably bluffing a choice item, though I'm not sure how popular that is as a tactic these days.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Counterpoint: Mr. Mime

Sprites are never coming back, they are way more limited than the 3D models for all the stuff they wanna be doing with Pokemon now. And frankly, people way overblow the quality of sprites. I barely remember most of them. Some Pokemon definitely suffered in the 3D transition but when GF puts in the time and effort, a lot more personality can be conveyed with the 3D models than sprites ever had.

Which, again, is why a gen where they don't add anything new but touch all this stuff up would be nice.

Decent 2d art is also not cheap.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do you check a Mon's IVs?

Do you get money from Battle Tower Battles?

Are Battle Tower battles doable with non-minmaxed pokemon?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao Barraskewda's dex entry specifies that they are delicious. I made the right decision by naming him Tempura.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Annath posted:

How do you check a Mon's IVs?

Do you get money from Battle Tower Battles?

Are Battle Tower battles doable with non-minmaxed pokemon?

Win 6? Battles in tower to get the IV checker.

No but you get a better currency, BP.

You can get pretty high with your in-game team or just rent the rain team and never lose

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Hours of playtime spent battling Pokemon and exploring Galar: 30
Hours of playtime spent fiddling with outfits and my league card: 20

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Yesss, Eevee and Farfetch'd are in the same egg group. I can use the Lets Go Eevee gift to make duck-shaped superweapons!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Haifisch posted:

Hours of playtime spent battling Pokemon and exploring Galar: 30
Hours of playtime spent fiddling with outfits and my league card: 20

Should've waited one page to post :devil:

And to not just throw out a dumb shitpost; I spent nearly an hour running around glimwood tangle last night, trying to find a sinistea. And then after finally getting one it had a special attack lowering nature :suicide:

Luckily I came upon another one right after with a +speed -attack nature. I also have both Pokedex entries, which I think means one of them is the rarer type. But I have no idea which is which :v:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

According to Bulbapedia, the authentic one evolves with a Chipped Pot, whereas the fake one evolves with a Cracked Pot, so you can probably see which one is highlighted in the use-item screen.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm glad the mints are a thing, now I don't have to care what nature legendary I catch for when I need it for VGC 2022.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Dad Jokes posted:

According to Bulbapedia, the authentic one evolves with a Chipped Pot, whereas the fake one evolves with a Cracked Pot, so you can probably see which one is highlighted in the use-item screen.

I evolved the good one with a cracked pot. Is the chipped pot from the same vendor?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Cracked pot means you evolved a fake Sinistea.

Chipped pot is from the vendor. However, unlike the cracked pot where you get a freebie, chipped pots only can be obtained from that vendor.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Well, the fake one is better so...

Just goes to show brand whoring is for suckers :smuggo:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chairman Rose is an extremely believable villain: he's an out of touch rich guy who thinks he's a genius that knows better than the younger generations, but he's busy investing in energy production that will doom everyone instead of using the clean, renewable power the Pokemon world has had access to for years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Doesn't his plan technically work, and his real problem is foolishly relying on the undefeated champion Leon instead of two small children?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 20, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fangz posted:

Doesn't his plan technically work, and his real problem is foolishly relying on the undefeated champion Leon instead of two small children?

His power plant gets destroyed and he turns himself in for his crimes (which is the most unrealistic part.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I know it's always been a thing in Pokémon but the way some of your guys evolve sure is bollocks. It's annoying that I have no choice but to look it up every single time just to make sure I can keep it in my party and level it up to evolve it.

That applies double to the one you have to play in handheld and turn the console upside down for!!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

His power plant gets destroyed and he turns himself in for his crimes (which is the most unrealistic part.)

The poke world doesn’t seem to have a justice system considering (post game spoilers) Swordbert and Shieldbert also turn themselves in then still come out to see you with only Leon “keeping an eye on them”..

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fangz posted:

I mean that plan involves locking up a Pokemon and using them as a battery for eternity, which is still pretty evil.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

I mean that plan involves locking up a Pokemon and using them as a battery for eternity, which is still pretty evil.

More evil than locking them in a pc box, lets be fair?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Online sources say Sirfetch'd can get Roost via breeding but I can't seem to get it on one. Am I dumb?

I'm breeding a male Hawlucha with Roost and a female Dux and they keep spitting out nothing

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's okay I caught them in a luxury ball

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Online sources say Sirfetch'd can get Roost via breeding but I can't seem to get it on one. Am I dumb?

I'm breeding a male Hawlucha with Roost and a female Dux and they keep spitting out nothing

Regular Farfetch'd can get Roost as an egg move, Galar Farfetch'd can't.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MoaM posted:

Eh, there's an option to choose number-codes so you can hook up with your friends easier. I don't remember if I have Switch Online or not, but you can trade with friends, for sure.

I honestly think you just need an internet connection; I hadn't touched my switch in at least a year and a half: all the online features are active.
I just tested this, and it seems you do need online to trade/do stuff with people not on your home network. :smith:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

That makes more sense. So throw up starters and reject until they do the same?

Yeah, it worked pretty quickly. I think it'll work pretty well with version exclusives too.

I guess the people trading Dittos want a Ditto from another trainer? Does that still make breeding faster?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Regular Farfetch'd can get Roost as an egg move, Galar Farfetch'd can't.

Alas

In that case, I've got a crapload of perfect Adamant ducks with Night Slash if anyone wants one

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Avalerion posted:

More evil than locking them in a pc box, lets be fair?

Hey, I also use them for free labor in the pokemines for the equivalent of like, 5 usd

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Alas

In that case, I've got a crapload of perfect Adamant ducks with Night Slash if anyone wants one
I would love one, Gonna just use Nintendo Online trail :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Valleyant posted:

Hey, I also use them for free labor in the pokemines for the equivalent of like, 5 usd

I think you'll find that pokemon are paid in exposureexperience

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah are Pokejobs even worthwhile if you don't care about the experience?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The increase base stats ones are a good thing to do overnight if you want ridiculously overpowered pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fangz posted:

The increase base stats ones are a good thing to do overnight if you want ridiculously overpowered pokemon.

That's just EV training, and it's 96 per day which is not great. That means 7 days to max out your EVs.