Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
chalk up another conservative candidate suspension

https://twitter.com/kevin_larkin/status/1197123256391745537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you've had gay sex in the last 3 months, you can't. Otherwise it's fine. I guess HIV symptoms are apparent within 3 months so it gives at-risk people a window to find out before donating?

Not symptoms, no - you can be mostly asymptomatic for years, and the symptoms can be non-specific, which is part of what makes HIV so dangerous. I'd guess 3 months is enough incubation time for the infection to build up to a point that it can be detected with certainty?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Orange Devil posted:

A recurring motif in business is not understanding when to use numbers and when not to use them. A certain type of manager thinks decisions about investments and costs ought to be made "rationally", meaning by just looking at the cold hard numbers and doing whatever brings in the most money. The problem is that while costs that you are considering of incurring can generally be predicted and measured down to the last cent, you often can't do the same for expected benefits. When you can, you don't need a fancy manager to make the decision, literally any idiot can compare cost & benefit and if benefit > cost then do it, if not don't do it.

I know an accountant who decided to vote Tory by working out which party would result in the highest take-home pay for him.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

I don't think I've ever heard Jeffrey Epstein's name pronounced "Ep-steen". Everyone I've heard say it rhymed it with Einstein. If this genuinely is an anti-Semitic dogwhistle then this woman must have got it from her anti-Semitic friends, because I have no friends like that and it's a mystery to me.

Guess we need to americanise everything from now on, just to be safe. Starting with David Badd-ill

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

crispix posted:

In Northern Ireland if you'd have had gay sex in the previous 12 months you're not allowed to give blood for the next 12.

Until 2016 if you'd ever had gay sex you were banned from giving blood for life :laugh:

In Australia, we just ban anyone who lived in the UK between 1980-96 from giving blood outright. We know you've all got Mad Cow!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

It's a year. Even if you're married to another man and monogamous.

From the same people who brought you the "if you pay money for unprotected sex you have to wait six months, if you receive money for protected sex 20 years ago you're still banned" logic.

You shouldn't be using blood donor services for testing anyway, but the rules are some straight* bullshit.

*:dadjoke:

I think they changed it. Blood.co.uk says 3 months.

Bizarrely you can donate if you're a sex worker, after 3 months, but if you've had sex with a sex-worker (or someone who's ever been one) you're banned for life :psyduck:

The rules are a hot mess.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Doccykins posted:

Typical labour antisemitism

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got some bumph from my Labour candidate. Going to vote for him anyway, obviously, but this photo from it has a real Mortal Kombat 2 vibe.

"Toast-yyyyy!"

(gently caress it, because why not, even though I should be working:)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Payndz posted:

Got some bumph from my Labour candidate. Going to vote for him anyway, obviously, but this photo from it has a real Mortal Kombat 2 vibe.

"Toast-yyyyy!"

(gently caress it, because why not, even though I should be working:)

I'm so glad you posted the shop because I'd forgotten about that and couldn't figure out what you meant

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not symptoms, no - you can be mostly asymptomatic for years, and the symptoms can be non-specific, which is part of what makes HIV so dangerous. I'd guess 3 months is enough incubation time for the infection to build up to a point that it can be detected with certainty?
Yeah three months is enough for a near certain serum test.

I think they changed it. Blood.co.uk says 3 months.

Bizarrely you can donate if you're a sex worker, after 3 months, but if you've had sex with a sex-worker (or someone who's ever been one) you're banned for life :psyduck:

The rules are a hot mess.
Looks like they've changed that recently, it used to be 12.

quote:

pre-2011 – men who have sex with men were not able to give blood
2011 – a 12-month wait was introduced
November 2017 – a 3-month wait for men who have sex with men was introduced following changes to SaBTO guidance

It also looks like they've very recently completely reversed the sex work rule. It used to be if you have ever received money or drugs for sex then you're banned for life, but if you gave money or drugs for sex it's a three month wait.
Now it's

quote:

You are working as a sex worker. You may be accepted for donation if it is longer than 3 months since you last received money or drugs for sex
While keeping the three month rule for paying, or if you have had sex with someone who has ever been paid.

That's bizarre, but at least it's a positive step towards the FAIR individualized treatment guidelines. :toot:

lol at the wording

quote:

You have ever injected, or been injected with, drugs; even a long time ago or only once. This includes body-building drugs and injectable tanning agents. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed the drugs. Please check with us to make sure
though. "We might treat the time you used an epi pen a bit different to sharing needles, maybe, but better ask."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
quick request an israeli colleague keeps telling me he can’t support labour because corbyn is antisemetic and mentions this one video clip where corbyn says “our friends in hamas and hezbollah” does anyone have a decent resource for explaining the context of this in a response to the antisemitism claims? it’s very frustrating

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bump_fn posted:

quick request an israeli colleague keeps telling me he can’t support labour because corbyn is antisemetic and mentions this one video clip where corbyn says “our friends in hamas and hezbollah” does anyone have a decent resource for explaining the context of this in a response to the antisemitism claims? it’s very frustrating

How about "its basic diplomacy".

It was in the context of a meeting between multiple politicians and Palestinian representatives, and at the time IIRC there had been a fairly recent Palestinian election to confirm Hama's as government

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bump_fn posted:

It was a conference about peace in the middle east and you don't start building bridges between hostile factions by calling one side a group of awful terrorists, you treat both as friends.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

Tell him he's right, and Corbyn's also a racist and mass murderer because he once called Tony Blair "my right honourable friend"

He used it the same way one would in court, referring to the opposition legal team as 'my learned friend' even if you think they're all twats.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

bump_fn posted:

You can't engage in peace talks if you don't approach both sides with trust and goodwill, does he think that describing them as 'those terrorist bastards' is going to get anything at all done?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

bump_fn posted:

It was a peace talk where he did the friendly "and here we have our friends from .."

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MirrorRoyal/status/1197112483649146880
:laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :hmbol:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Doccykins posted:

Isn't this two Tory candidates in two days who've been suspended for anti-Semitism?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Guess I'm not voting for Labour.

Not because I don't want to, more because I've just been in contact with my council's election office and they've hosed up my application to vote from abroad. They're telling me that merely registering as an overseas voter doesn't mean I get to vote from overseas, and that I should take my polling card (that they sent to my house in holland) and book myself a plane and vote in person.

Their reasoning? That being an overseas voter doesn't mean you're a postal voter, and so won't get sent a voting pack. You have to apply for that separately, according to them, and they say they've already been printed off.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
As a rational, self interested lolbertatrian I donate blood on the reg because...

- It keeps my undiagnosed haemochromatosis in check
- It's 850 calories a pop, that's almost a pound of fat a year!
- I get the warm, satisfying glow of knowing that I haven't somehow caught hepatitis in the past three months

Also I guess it helps the lives of poor people who can't afford their own butler/blood chattel.

I wonder if there's actually any political will around to change the donor regulations from the current 70s setup. Obviously doesn't account for trans people very well at the moment.

Oh and people should really read up on haemochromatosis by the way. It's surprisingly unknown.

quote:

Haemochromatosis is an inherited condition in which iron levels in the body slowly build up over many years.

This build-up of iron, known as iron overload, can cause unpleasant symptoms. If it isn't treated, this can damage parts of the body such as the liver, joints, pancreas and heart.

Haemochromatosis most often affects people of white northern European background and is particularly common in countries where lots of people have a Celtic background, such as Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1197127410459795456?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they need rules for blood donors ofc but yeah they should also be clear and scientifically rigorous, these seem...not that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

It was a peace talk where he did the friendly "and here we have our friends from .."
Diplomacy is the art of making your guests feel at home when you wish they were.

gh0stpinballa posted:

they need rules for blood donors ofc but yeah they should also be clear and scientifically rigorous, these seem...not that
I checked it out and 22 October 2019 was when they adopted the intention to move towards FAIR, so looks like sex workers and people who have ever injected ever were blanket banned until 5 weeks ago, replaced with a system where you can make a personal case on why you should be eligible.

Good work all the social media comments about "why should a call girl who used protection and quit 20 years ago be banned for life but a john who doesn't only has to wait three months?" on blood drive ads (and the FAIR committee too I guess :v:).

No see I have a very unusual condition where I forget all the times I solicited sex from a minor, due to a serotonin surge when an Argentine captain hijacked my radio signal to call me a nonce, here are a list of the times I ate at Nando's, I have the extra hot butterfly chicken and the spicy rice and sometimes some mash and I've never solicited sex from a minor at Nando's that I recall.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

Just to add to the other replies btw:

It is NOT anti-Semitic to criticise the actions of a government whose official religion happens to be Judaism.

Saying "Israel are wrong to brutally murder people with US provided military weaponry" is as anti-Semitic as saying "Tony Blair was wrong to brutally murder people with US/UK provided military weaponry" is anti-Christian.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Took me a while to see the problem because coffee is a soup.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bundy posted:

It is NOT anti-Semitic to criticise the actions of a government whose official religion happens to be Judaism.

Saying "Israel are wrong to brutally murder people with US provided military weaponry" is as anti-Semitic as saying "Tony Blair was wrong to brutally murder people with US/UK provided military weaponry" is anti-Christian.

I got a 30 day ban from /r/ukpolitics for saying Israel was a nazi state. Apparently that was extremely anti-Semitic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

This is true, but Hamas and Hezbollah are antisemitic, but also they're the only ones we can reach out to because all the moderate antiracist "we must be like Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela" organizations like the PLO got killed or imprisoned by the IDF or Mossad.

Which I guess fulfills the strict definition of "be like Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela" :stonklol:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HorseLord posted:

Not because I don't want to, more because I've just been in contact with my council's election office and they've hosed up my application to vote from abroad. They're telling me that merely registering as an overseas voter doesn't mean I get to vote from overseas, and that I should take my polling card (that they sent to my house in holland) and book myself a plane and vote in person.

Their reasoning? That being an overseas voter doesn't mean you're a postal voter, and so won't get sent a voting pack. You have to apply for that separately, according to them, and they say they've already been printed off.

Can't you nominate a proxy voter?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

Took me a while to see the problem because coffee is a soup.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1196891905377873925

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tesseraction posted:

Can't you nominate a proxy voter?

You should be able to get an emergancy proxy vote right up to the day of the election.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voting-person-post-or-proxy/voting-proxy

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

HorseLord posted:

whoever told you that is wrong, the deadline for applying to vote by post is November 26th

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
:thunk:

Really desperate stuff, this

https://twitter.com/Rsavage6/status/1197057356913356800?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/GSpellchecker/status/1197125982123110402

:stare:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

If you've had gay sex in the last 3 months, you can't. Otherwise it's fine. I guess HIV symptoms are apparent within 3 months so it gives at-risk people a window to find out before donating?

The antibodies that they test for in your blood do not become detectable until after 3 months (to a reliability of 99.99%) although modern 4th generation testing kits have a 95% or so detection rate after 4 weeks.

If you test negative after 8 weeks it's ridiculously unlikely that you will test positive after 12 but the gold standard is seen as 12.

Most people do not have significant symptoms other than what you may shrug off as a cold and can live that way for multiple years without realizing. It's possible to live a healthy life as HIV positive for several years until serious complications come about but the longer you are not treated the more your quality of life will be compromised.

deletebeepbeepbeep fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 20, 2019

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
This is good for Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-debate-jeremy-corbyn-won-lost-boris-johnson-poll-brexit-yougov-a9210571.html

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This is bad for Corbyn...wait

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

This stuff is honestly blowing my mind. I read much more news than I listen to, and I don't watch any, and I've been pronouncing it all this time like Einstein. I really think he was uncertain because it sounded to me like he stumbled over the pronunciation when he said it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So does that mean I have been mispronouncing Einstein, Frankenstein and beer stein?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

So does that mean I have been mispronouncing Einstein, Frankenstein and beer stein?

calling Frankenstein a monster is not just incorrect because he was the scientist, but is also anti-Semitic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

calling Frankenstein a monster is not just incorrect because he was the scientist, but is also anti-Semitic

Frankenstein was the monster, not the innocent life he brought into the world. :hai: