Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Use linux.

Yeah yeah ok, seriously there are so drat many different causes and fixes you might as well throw a dart at a board, or consult an oracle. I'll I can say is google "windows update failure," look for your exact symptoms (also google any error codes it's giving you), start with the most common causes and work your way down. If you don't have it all set up just the way you like it, or don't mind re-doing it, then seriously consider backing up and :pt:ing, because there's a very good chance you'll spend a lot more time troubleshooting than just starting fresh.

E: well, I would try at least a couple of the most common fixes (for your exact symptoms).

vvvE2: oh yeah it's 1909 now. Starting fresh with that might be a very good idea and probably save you from still more headaches.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Captain Yossarian posted:

What should I do if windows constantly fails updates? They appear to download fine but fail at installing or hang at 0% until they fail

poo poo, I'd grab the 1909 ISO and upgrade to that. It's a Windows OS issue.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

GreenNight posted:

poo poo, I'd grab the 1909 ISO and upgrade to that. It's a Windows OS issue.

I might have to. It updated fine on all my laptops but my big boy computer? Of course not lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

*family feud X buzz* Update Orchestrator runs every day even if you have no updates waiting.

*second X buzz* The update tasks run with SYSTEM privilege, and can only be edited by the SYSTEM account even if you take ownership. Also the task is reset every time update runs to change the time based on active hours.

Try this: Start -> gpedit
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
"Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" -> set to Disabled

Heya, this is from a million years ago but I'm finally trying this and there is no longer the 'Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically...' option in the group policy editor.

Anything else I can try? This really annoys me. I'm current on all my updates so there's no reason Windows needs to wake itself up randomly and not go back to sleep again.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Hmm you sure? I'm looking at it in my group policy. Although it might be one of those settings that's restricted depending on if you're using home/pro/enterprise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Win10 in my bootcamp partition updated last week and installed a broken Broadcom driver for the WiFi. So that's awesome.

What's weird is that the effects only showed up in the Windows side of the stack. If I fired up the ubuntu shell, I didn't see the same issues.

Fortunately I was able to roll back to the previous driver, but that was a pain in the rear end. Especially trying to look up solutions with wifi that was barely working.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

Heya, this is from a million years ago but I'm finally trying this and there is no longer the 'Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically...' option in the group policy editor.

Anything else I can try? This really annoys me. I'm current on all my updates so there's no reason Windows needs to wake itself up randomly and not go back to sleep again.

Heh, we tried that group policy and also the system power setting that's supposed to stop all wake timers, and even *that* did nothing! So there's one last thing that definitely works. But two qualifications:

1. It's messing with system files in a way that MS doesn't want you to. I tried this on my machine and had no immediate problems, but then a month later I was getting the "Error 0x800f0982" failures on updates. I'm pretty sure the two are unrelated -- that code is for a language pack error and I think is due to font stuff. (Side note: when Windows tells you that Comic Sans is a critical system font, they're not lying.)

2. These tasks got removed or changed in 1903 & 1909. My laptop only has 1 wake due to update checks in its /sleepstudy history -- I guess MS realized that people hated their computer waking 3 times per night. So if you're still on 180x the easiest way to deal with them is just update to a recent version.

Klyith posted:

Hooo kay, here's the sledgehammer solution:

1. Open an admin command prompt to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator and paste these two commands:
takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"
takeown /F "Universal Orchestrator Start"

2. Get the psexec utility from Sysinternals. Extract it somewhere. Open another admin command prompt where you put it, and run this:
psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc
which will open task scheduler as the SYSTEM account. Now you can edit the "Universal Orchestrator Start" and "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start" tasks, located in TaskSchedulerLibrary-> Microsoft-> Windows-> UpdateOrchestrator
Change the Triggers to daily instead of one time, and uncheck the wake from sleep box on the Conditions tab. Optionally set the times to like morning and evening when the computer is likely to be a awake.
Close the task scheduler.

3. In the first command prompt where you did takeown, run these to make the tasks read-only.
attrib +R "Universal Orchestrator Idle Start"
attrib +R "Universal Orchestrator Start"

The Idle Start task normally runs multiple times per day, with this change it only runs once. Automatic Updates still work though. The next time there's a full new version update to Win10 you will need to repeat the process.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

why in the gently caress does one of these work PCs hitch constantly after the stupid loving Radeon drivers are installed. It's as regular as a metronome, every three seconds or so, it freezes up for about half a second. Didn't do it with no video driver, does it with both Windows Update drivers for the Radeon and the driver package straight from AMD. Christ I hate loving Radeons.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thanks to this thread I realized that my home install never updated to 1903 and when I tried to manually update it failed. So I grabbed the "upgrade" installer and it worked great and updates are behaving normally now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

Heh, we tried that group policy and also the system power setting that's supposed to stop all wake timers, and even *that* did nothing! So there's one last thing that definitely works. But two qualifications:

1. It's messing with system files in a way that MS doesn't want you to. I tried this on my machine and had no immediate problems, but then a month later I was getting the "Error 0x800f0982" failures on updates. I'm pretty sure the two are unrelated -- that code is for a language pack error and I think is due to font stuff. (Side note: when Windows tells you that Comic Sans is a critical system font, they're not lying.)

2. These tasks got removed or changed in 1903 & 1909. My laptop only has 1 wake due to update checks in its /sleepstudy history -- I guess MS realized that people hated their computer waking 3 times per night. So if you're still on 180x the easiest way to deal with them is just update to a recent version.

Wow, awesome, thanks! I'm on 1903 but I see there's an update available to 1909 so I will try that first. Just still seems crazy to me that Windows is working this way. Couldn't it just check for updates while it's on literally all day rather than waking up in the middle of the night, finding nothing, and then staying awake...

Unrelated Windows question - when I'm moving windows on top of other windows, something it will minimize all of the background windows. This happens pretty often if I have two browser windows snapped to the left and right sides and then I'm moving some third window around on top of them, or moving a window so it's partially offscreen. I've disabled Aero Shake so it's not that... I also have DisplayFusion installed but haven't been able to find anything in the options there that might affect this. Can't find anything by Googling either. Just to be clear I never want it to minimize windows without me doing that specifically, ever.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
So is anyone else experiencing problems with searching from File Explorer in 1909? Sometimes I click the search field and nothing happens. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds for it to decide it can now take an input. Sometimes I can start searching like in the olden ages, without a drat problem. What the hell?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Any ideas on how to recover this Windows install?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anybody have Windows 10 running in HDR mode? I got a nice new Oled TV and the PS4 runs in HDR mode without any tinkering. When I select the HDR option it switches back after the screen flickers a little. No message or anything.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Exclusive: Microsoft is working to bring 64-bit Intel app emulation to Windows on ARM

https://www.neowin.net/news/exclusive-microsoft-is-working-to-bring-64-bit-intel-app-emulation-to-windows-on-arm

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Uh, why is ReFS on the list of features no longer being developed? Does this mean NTFS gets a major rework eventually, i.e. copy-on-write, resilient metadata, self-healing and poo poo?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-deprecated-features

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wow, they're completely blocking WEP?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mystes posted:

Wow, they're completely blocking WEP?

This is good. WEP is actively worse open wifi; at least open wifi won't confuse anyone into thinking they're secure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nobody should be using WEP now but I bet dumb people who are using it will be annoyed if they suddenly can't connect after upgrading.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mystes posted:

Nobody should be using WEP now but I bet dumb people who are using it will be annoyed if they suddenly can't connect after upgrading.

quote:

Since the 1903 release, a warning message has appeared when connecting to Wi-Fi networks secured with WEP or TKIP (which are not as secure as those using WPA2 or WPA3). In a future release, any connection to a Wi-Fi network using these old ciphers will be disallowed. Wi-Fi routers should be updated to use AES ciphers, available with WPA2 or WPA3.

You're right; dumb people will call this sudden.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Well, with how hosed the MS update cycle has been over the past year I could totally see someone getting 1903 a couple weeks ago and then getting 1909 today.

That said they should have done this a long time ago. Like, when W10 shipped it should been displaying that message.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, why is ReFS on the list of features no longer being developed? Does this mean NTFS gets a major rework eventually, i.e. copy-on-write, resilient metadata, self-healing and poo poo?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-deprecated-features

What I got out of that link is that they're limiting the ability to create ReFS volumes to Enterprise/Pro for Workstations (and Server editions), not that they're stopping development completely. Just more product segmentation

"Creation ability will be available in the following editions only: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Creation ability will be removed from all other editions. All other editions will have Read and Write ability."

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Actuarial Fables posted:

What I got out of that link is that they're limiting the ability to create ReFS volumes to Enterprise/Pro for Workstations (and Server editions), not that they're stopping development completely. Just more product segmentation

"Creation ability will be available in the following editions only: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Creation ability will be removed from all other editions. All other editions will have Read and Write ability."

It still seems really backwards. NTFS is really getting to the point where it's not an appropriate file system for a modern O/S anymore, particularly on systems with solid state storage or mixed ram/storage (optane). Microsoft wants Windows on those platforms, and cutting out a modern file system from being part of the base system means it will have terrible support, slow development, and little end user benefit.

They may end up needing to do a ng-refs or something, what a mess.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

EoRaptor posted:

not an appropriate file system for a modern O/S anymore, particularly on systems with solid state storage

Could you expand on that? What limitations does it have that a client machine would bump up against?

It does seem strange that they'd remove access to ReFS creation after having it available for so long, but some analyst probably realized they could sell more Enterprise editions if they limited the availability.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 25, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
NTFS feature that made it so it wouldn't split large files across the hard drive was useful in the hard drive era

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seem like when they say "ReFS (added: August 17, 2017)" that's when they added it to the list and the ability to create ReFS volumes was removed from the Creator's update for some versions of Windows, so there's nothing in this list necessarily implying that anything new is happening in the way of deprecating ReFS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Removing the ability for more people to test it isn't usually what you do before a bigger rollout, so I assume ReFS is functionally dead.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
This is something I just figured out that might be helpful to someone
If you want to install windows without all the default start menu crap you can install Windows 10 Enterprise which only has Office, Edge and Store tiles. Then you can use "Change Product key" to change the version to Pro.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Perplx posted:

This is something I just figured out that might be helpful to someone
If you want to install windows without all the default start menu crap you can install Windows 10 Enterprise which only has Office, Edge and Store tiles. Then you can use "Change Product key" to change the version to Pro.
I wish I had seen this post about an hour ago so I could have tried it on the reload I'm in the middle of.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm finally moving my desktop away from Windows 7 when I build a new computer next month, but now I'm wondering if I should just reuse the Windows 7 Pro key I got, or if I should use the Windows 10 Education key I got years ago.

Basically, is my experience going to be drastically better/worse on either Pro or Edu? Cortana doesn't work here and I intend to keep it that way, so that's not really a consideration.

All I can really find is it's like Enterprise, but for schools and also Cortana doesn't work with it and there was some issue with Nvidia drivers when Pascal cards were just coming out, any insight would be appreciated.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no meaningful difference to the end user. Edu used to have an annoying permanent desktop watermark (don't know if this is still true), so I suggest going for Pro.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
There's a few group policy settings that are only available on Education and Enterprise, most notably around automatic update settings if that bothers you, should be an article or two on Google that goes into it.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but IIRC when you install Windows 10 from a clear format and there's multiple hard drives connected it does some fuckery with files across all of them or something.

Is this still the case? Is there any way to prevent this besides disconnecting the other hard drives prior to the process? Because if I have to it will be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

There's no meaningful difference to the end user. Edu used to have an annoying permanent desktop watermark (don't know if this is still true), so I suggest going for Pro.

CFox posted:

There's a few group policy settings that are only available on Education and Enterprise, most notably around automatic update settings if that bothers you, should be an article or two on Google that goes into it.

Thanks, I'll just go for Pro then. I don't really care too much about auto updates because shut down my computer at night, so it gets its chance to install them without needing to force them through.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mystic Stylez posted:

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but IIRC when you install Windows 10 from a clear format and there's multiple hard drives connected it does some fuckery with files across all of them or something.

Is this still the case? Is there any way to prevent this besides disconnecting the other hard drives prior to the process? Because if I have to it will be kind of a pain in the rear end.

The problem that people run into is that the EFI boot files may get put on a drive separate from your windows install, which will cause issues if you replace one of your non-OS drives and suddenly you can't boot anymore.

Disconnecting the drives is the guaranteed way to ensure that the installer doesn't do that, and it's worth doing it now to prevent future headaches.

Lambert posted:

Edu used to have an annoying permanent desktop watermark (don't know if this is still true), so I suggest going for Pro.

Some of the earlier versions of Win10 had it, but it's not longer around (at least for me).

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 26, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure the "files on wrong drive" thing only happens with MBR/legacy boot, not in UEFI mode. So the way to stop this from happening is to disable CSM in your Bios - you should do that either way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I think it can still happen with UEFI, it's just less random.

So if disconnecting drives is a PITA, do:
1. Set UEFI-only / turn off compatibility mode in BIOS
2. Find where your bios sets boot order for drives, make sure the one you want to install windows on is #2 on the list after USB storage

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm using an activated copy of Windows 10 on my desktop and would like to use that licence for a new Win 10 install on a new PC I'm putting together. I've looked in my emails and didn't find the product that I presumably bought (5+ years ago), is there some way to get my product key from the system itself?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's this tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

But, depending on how you installed Windows 10, this might display a generic key that can't be used for activation. To be sure, link your license to an MS account in Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation. That way, you can always enable the MS account on your new installation and activate Windows.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lambert posted:

There's this tool: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

But, depending on how you installed Windows 10, this might display a generic key that can't be used for activation. To be sure, link your license to an MS account in Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation. That way, you can always enable the MS account on your new installation and activate Windows.

Produkey triggered my malware scanner, but in googling I ended up finding this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3g12kj/is_produkey_a_legitimate_software_to_find_your/cttt3vr/

which worked in getting me my product key. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's also a legitimate tool, so you could have used that as well. But it does trigger some malware scanners.

You can check whether you got a legitimate or a generic product key using this list: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95922-generic-product-keys-install-windows-10-editions.html