Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Libre is still far from perfect with super-heavy excel spreadsheets. If you happen to know the type of person who uses excel to do things that should be a real computer program. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Klyith posted:

Libre is still far from perfect with super-heavy excel spreadsheets. If you happen to know the type of person who uses excel to do things that should be a real computer program. :cripes:

My dad was an accountant for most of his working life; and after his retirement his main source of entertainment appears to be creating ridiculously complex excel spreadsheets. His main masterpiece that covers all his investments and whatnot is I believe well over 100mb; but he also tracks the most ridiculous poo poo - like he has spreadsheets tracking his fuel consumption and the cost of fuel going back decades.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it amazes me people will seemingly go to the lengths of the earth with excel and not just spend like a week or two learning basic relational db theory or r or something that is light years more catered to mass calculation

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
But then they wouldn’t be able to unironically refer to themselves as ‘excel wizards’

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If it's still your dad, he was gonna dad out and call himself a wizard no matter what. Might as well be on excel

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Lord Bude posted:

- like he has spreadsheets tracking his fuel consumption and the cost of fuel going back decades.

Don't shame me!

(I started it to keep track of repairs and such and started adding fuel costs cause why not)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Lol, we do a ton of stuff in excel at work... seriously, we had to move some people to x64 office because some of the sheets wouldn’t open and calculate in 32-bit office. I had to recompile our COM addins to work in both versions.
While it’s not ideal, in the back of my head I’m always thinking:
Spreadsheet applications are responsible for the PC revolution more than any other app by a wide margin. Their ease of use and power is literally what caused most businesses to buy computers and hence make them affordable for the average person.
No matter how much spreadsheets suck to work with sometimes (they do), they have quite a legacy.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Double from awful app

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Is there any way to get Office 365 to shut the gently caress up and stop trying to switch my account over to my university email? I have a personal license that I use but because I have my .edu email added into Outlook I get a desktop notification every 10 loving minutes telling me that there's a problem with my school account and I need to enter my password. There is no problem; I still receive my school emails even if I just ignore the notification. Entering my password, however, changes my Office account and OneDrive storage over to my school e-mail.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

namlosh posted:

Lol, we do a ton of stuff in excel at work... seriously, we had to move some people to x64 office because some of the sheets wouldn’t open and calculate in 32-bit office. I had to recompile our COM addins to work in both versions.

And I thank god every day that Excel singlehandedly killed off 32-bit Office and all the absolute loving garbage add-ons people shat out in VB6.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'll ask here first, but if I need to make a new thread, lemme know:

I'm about to transition from one computer to another, with the same WIndows 10 Home product key. Currently set up where my C drive is an SSD with Windows 10 and a suite of my most used programs (chrome, media players, etc), whereas my secondary drive has all the media, and games. The new computer will use a different drive, so it won't be as simple as dropping both drives into my new computer.

So, since I've never done a win 10 migration, I'd like some guidance for the smoothest migration between 2 computers, retaining the same Windows 10 Key, preferably with as little hassle regarding passwords or things.

If anyone could provide basic step-by-steps regarding the migration, assuming my other computer can turn on and it works, I'd appreciate it. Any sort of guide/tutorial would be great, too.

Also I do have an external hard-drive for dragging and dropping files.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can either enter your existing key on your new machine (after migration) or go to Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and link your activation to a Microsoft account. Migrating alone won't transfer your license.

To clone your SSD to a new computer, download Macrium Reflect. Either clone to the new drive from your old computer, or create a USB boot stick in Macrium and clone it on your new computer (either connect the SSD via USB, or use an intermediate drive to store an image on and later write to the new drive, or connect it via SATA).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

(w10 home)

I've asked this before but have any advancements been made in the "literally never make your taskbar obscure the poo poo youre working on" department, i literaly do not ever possibly care to have it pop on my screen unbeckoned

i have display fusion but the only options seem to be for not allowing it to go over full screen windows which i probably run approximately zero

also display fusion taskbar settings have seemingly been wonkily implemented on every PC i use it on :shrug:

E: a goon itt or the other windows one was kind enough to link a win7 tool that stopped taskbar but i didnt get it working in w10

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 24, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why not simply enable "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" in Windows Settings?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Statutory Ape posted:

(w10 home)

I've asked this before but have any advancements been made in the "literally never make your taskbar obscure the poo poo youre working on" department, i literaly do not ever possibly care to have it pop on my screen unbeckoned

i have display fusion but the only options seem to be for not allowing it to go over full screen windows which i probably run approximately zero

also display fusion taskbar settings have seemingly been wonkily implemented on every PC i use it on :shrug:

E: a goon itt or the other windows one was kind enough to link a win7 tool that stopped taskbar but i didnt get it working in w10

I dont know, but out of curiousity, what do you do that you never want to see or use the taskbar? (I'm thee opposite. I usually have various things open and want to see them.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lambert posted:

Why not simply enable "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" in Windows Settings?

Apps that are foreground have activity and it brings the taskbar to foreground , obscuring parts of 3 windows

As for use case I'm on mobile and it's boring and not worth typing out. Just don't want or need a taskbar getting in the way of anything. I manually call taskbar as needed or use KB shortcuts/keybinds for most functions I need

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Statutory Ape posted:

Apps that are foreground have activity and it brings the taskbar to foreground , obscuring parts of 3 windows

As for use case I'm on mobile and it's boring and not worth typing out. Just don't want or need a taskbar getting in the way of anything. I manually call taskbar as needed or use KB shortcuts/keybinds for most functions I need

Can't you just leave the taskbar normal (i.e. not hidden), make it small, and ignore it?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Double Punctuation posted:

And I thank god every day that Excel singlehandedly killed off 32-bit Office and all the absolute loving garbage add-ons people shat out in VB6.

Ha! We’re still on office 2013 at work so I hadn’t thought of this. That is cool. From our perspective, we just had to recompile since everything’s in .net using CCW’s to integrate with COM/excel. It just sucked to manage 2 different packages.

Pretty sure upgrading to the latest office or o365 or whatever is gonna happen next year.

Anybody hear that you will be able to use python integrated into o365 like VBA? I know I read it somewhere but can’t find any info now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hooah posted:

Can't you just leave the taskbar normal (i.e. not hidden), make it small, and ignore it?

tbh, im just going to go ahead and qualify that i dont want an alternative solution.

if what i want isnt possible or reasonably achievable that is an acceptable answer/soluton, but any alternatives that leave the taskbar visible are not

mystes
May 31, 2006

namlosh posted:

Ha! We’re still on office 2013 at work so I hadn’t thought of this. That is cool. From our perspective, we just had to recompile since everything’s in .net using CCW’s to integrate with COM/excel. It just sucked to manage 2 different packages.

Pretty sure upgrading to the latest office or o365 or whatever is gonna happen next year.

Anybody hear that you will be able to use python integrated into o365 like VBA? I know I read it somewhere but can’t find any info now.
I think it was just excel and they were just considering doing it but I'm not sure it actually happened? They did add javascript, though and apparently there's an editor available as an add-in now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/profiles/script-lab/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Statutory Ape posted:

(w10 home)

Was it this?

I have not tested this myself, but I've used a bunch of utilities written by that guy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Statutory Ape posted:

tbh, im just going to go ahead and qualify that i dont want an alternative solution.

if what i want isnt possible or reasonably achievable that is an acceptable answer/soluton, but any alternatives that leave the taskbar visible are not
I still want to know how youre using three windows on a phone and the real problem is the taskbar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FRINGE posted:

I still want to know how youre using three windows on a phone and the real problem is the taskbar.

I think they meant they don't want to type out their use case while phoneposting. However, I am otherwise as curious about why things keep popping up on front of the in-focus window.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

mystes posted:

I think it was just excel and they were just considering doing it but I'm not sure it actually happened? They did add javascript, though and apparently there's an editor available as an add-in now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/profiles/script-lab/

This is awesome, thanks

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Possibly turning off "Animations in the taskbar" will stop the taskbar from popping over without mousing onto it?

System properties -> advanced system settings -> performance -> visual effects

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FRINGE posted:

i play world of warcraft on a bicycle on an ipad you would be shocked at my talents amigo

quote:

However, I am otherwise as curious about why things keep popping up on front of the in-focus window.

lol software i run pops it open if its not the in focus window and it does it with regularity...and its almost never the in focus window.

like, yes, i can work around this but lol if there shouldnt be at least one way to either stop the effect from happening at all, or just eliminate the ability for an unmanual taskbar pull to even happen, frankly, how graceful or elegant the solution is is highly negotiable, ill build a drat bezel over the bitch

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Stop using the lovely software that is misbehaving?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

hooah posted:

P sure they need to be running windows.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hooah posted:

tell it to the AAA video game devs that made the billion+ dollar franchise its in

on my w10 machine

on all my w10 machines, actually, fresh install or no, etc. :shrug:

anyway, if you don't know an answer to something and would rather just shitpost about wrong OS or blaming me for using the wrong software, at least be funny or engaging lmao

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Statutory Ape posted:

tell it to the AAA video game devs that made the billion+ dollar franchise its in

on my w10 machine

on all my w10 machines, actually, fresh install or no, etc. :shrug:

anyway, if you don't know an answer to something and would rather just shitpost about wrong OS or blaming me for using the wrong software, at least be funny or engaging lmao

What makes you think I was shitposting? I've never seen any game do what you're describing, no one else here seems to have the same issue.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I built a new computer with a fresh install of Windows 10, and under "Other Devices" I have 2 "PCI Device" entries and a "PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller", all with yellow signs and exclamations near them.

There's nothing super fancy in my computer that uses pci-e except my new radeon 5700 which seems to be working fine.

What can I do to identify what this is?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've had that before and it was related to my motherboards chipset. Updating those drivers manually fixed it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Morter posted:

So I built a new computer with a fresh install of Windows 10, and under "Other Devices" I have 2 "PCI Device" entries and a "PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller", all with yellow signs and exclamations near them.

There's nothing super fancy in my computer that uses pci-e except my new radeon 5700 which seems to be working fine.

What can I do to identify what this is?

In the devices' properties pages, go to Details > Hardware IDs, and note the VID and PID (vendor and product ID). They usually look something like

code:

USB/VID_13D3&PID_3458

(VID 13D3, PID 3458. That's a Realtek Bluetooth adapter.)

Googling those numbers will usually either lead to the manufacturer's drivers page or give you enough information to find it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Turns out my motherboard needed drivers. Whoops

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm going to clone my boot HDD to an NVME M.2 soon, what is the preffered procedure and software?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I used macrium reflect recently on the kids computer (to an ssd) and the sky didn't fall.

Would recommend.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stink Terios posted:

I'm going to clone my boot HDD to an NVME M.2 soon, what is the preffered procedure and software?

Macrium to do the clone.

Moving to an NVMe may not be bootable, if the drive uses a specialized driver or your source was booting with MBR / legacy bios. Having a w10 installer usb stick handy would probably be a good idea, so you can try the repair in that event.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Is there any way to tell if the drive is using MBR/BIOS?
Regardless, I have the USB stick ready. The install is pretty new and the entire rig (sans psu) is less than 6 months old.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stink Terios posted:

Is there any way to tell if the drive is using MBR/BIOS?
Regardless, I have the USB stick ready. The install is pretty new and the entire rig (sans psu) is less than 6 months old.

If the drive is GPT format then it's using UEFI. Here's how to check that.

If the drive is MBR, you can following these instructions to convert it before you do the clone. Might be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

It's GPT. Thanks for the help, now I just have to wait for it to arrive.