Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Spite posted:

i really hope you are right.

cable news does seem to think that no one under 50 exists. they seem to still treat millenials as 18-21 year olds instead of 30+ adults with kids. I dunno if age tracks with likelihood to vote but it would be hilarious if the democrats took the senate.

It absolutely does

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/05/29/gen-z-millennials-and-gen-x-outvoted-older-generations-in-2018-midterms/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I’m about 31 and in a very purple state and I know people my age who would’ve waved to vote for a Romney in 2016 but went with HRC because they knew Trump was a piss baby, and he hasn’t done himself any favors since then.

An interesting twist though is that because many in my generation are still so dependent on Boomer mom and dad (either financially or more realistically for childcare) I do see people my age leaning R because when Grammy and Grampy come over to watch the kiddos they can’t not talk any how the lying liberal left is trying to take down Trump, and mom and dad are too exhausted and brain dead to think for themselves and believe it. I don’t think that this will be enough to turn the tides, but it is something to account for.

I feel like Republican leadership knows that Trump has allowed them to meet their objectives, 2 SC judges, permanent tax breaks, and huge military budget with the addition of normalizing corruption and making GBS threads on the government. The older GOP probably no longer really gives a gently caress because like all Boomers they got what they wanted and will be in lala retirement land in 4+ years. Keeping with Trump is their lottery ticket, but if he loses, so what.

It will be interesting to see how the 35-50 year old GOP react when they realize McConnell pulled one over on them and find out the general populous for the next couple of cycles will likely actively hate them.

Isn’t there some saying that Lincoln made the South vote Democrat for 75 years? I feel like Trump is doing the same for Republicans now.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Since 2016 Republicans have gotten spanked on election night everywhere that wasn’t redder than satans rear end in a top hat (and even in those places democrats did better).

They are royally hosed in 2020 though I personally think they’ll cling to a slim majority in the senate.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Numlock posted:

Since 2016 Republicans have gotten spanked on election night everywhere that wasn’t redder than satans rear end in a top hat (and even in those places democrats did better).

They are royally hosed in 2020 though I personally think they’ll cling to a slim majority in the senate.

With Trump actually being on the ballot, and all of the billions of donor money coming in, I'd be shocked if the GOP has a bad year in 2020. Trump's approval rating is higher now than it was before he got elected. Couple that with an underwhelming cast of Democrats that don't gin up excitement outside of their lane, and you have a recipe for disaster.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1197123084156882944

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sondland is in full "save my rear end' mode.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
As for today's hearings - I expect Sondland is going to be a bust. He has probably been instructed to stonewall, lie, and "forget" details to provide cover for the republicans. The guy is a Trump mega-donor - he wants nothing more than to be a spoiler for the democrats impeachment hearings, and Barr will ensure he faces no consequences.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

People forget that Pompeo is a tea party lunatic Koch whore. This is who he's always been.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TyrantWD posted:

As for today's hearings - I expect Sondland is going to be a bust. He has probably been instructed to stonewall, lie, and "forget" details to provide cover for the republicans. The guy is a Trump mega-donor - he wants nothing more than to be a spoiler for the democrats impeachment hearings, and Barr will ensure he faces no consequences.

He's also been caught in many lies and doesn't want to go to prison.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He's also been caught in many lies and doesn't want to go to prison.

DOJ would have to charge him though...

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

I'd agree with you if every other day of these hearings hadn't been enormously consequential and Sondland didn't look like a rat deserting a sinking ship. The Democrats' lawyer on the committee has proven himself extraordinarily competent, as has Adam Schiff at controlling the pace and tenor of the hearings, and so far, Democrats have scored at every opportunity.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

The best response to this I've seen is: a new admin might arrive in 14 months. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on perjury, but if it's more than that, a new AG could bring those charges.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Barr won't be attorney general forever and it's a pretty big gamble that he'll be there fourteen months from now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AhhYes posted:

The best response to this I've seen is: a new admin might arrive in 14 months. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on perjury, but if it's more than that, a new AG could bring those charges.

Because American elites really have reason to worry that other elites, even from the other party, will hold them accountable for crimes after a change of power. That is why Bush and Cheney are in jail right now.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Barr won't be attorney general forever and it's a pretty big gamble that he'll be there fourteen months from now.

Democrats are the party of :decorum:. They are not going to go back and charge Trump allies with anything.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1197145143394078721?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even though I don’t think it’s super likely considering Trump’s non loyalty for everyone but himself there’s always the chance he would let someone get all the blame and frame them as some Dem plant or something, which means he was totally innocent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bobjr posted:

Even though I don’t think it’s super likely considering Trump’s non loyalty for everyone but himself there’s always the chance he would let someone get all the blame and frame them as some Dem plant or something, which means he was totally innocent.

Rudy was a total Never Trumper D plant all along!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sondland's opening statement says "yes there was a quid pro quo and everyone knows."

edit: CNN got a copy of it, and that's where that's coming from. Fox is currently on commercial break.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

As much fun as it is to see him flip, I really do wonder why would you donate a million dollars to someone if you weren't willing to go down with the ship.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

As much fun as it is to see him flip, I really do wonder why would you donate a million dollars to someone if you weren't willing to go down with the ship.

Because Trump himself isn't willing to go down with the ship

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TyrantWD posted:

They didn’t think the ship would sink, and even if it’s not Trump levels of no loyalty it’s all about making more money and nothing else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

A millions dollars is NOTHING to these people. It's like me or you spending 20 bucks.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TyrantWD posted:

To get a comfy ambassador role and not realizing he's made a huge mistake like he's gob loving bluth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic posted:

A millions dollars is NOTHING to these people. It's like me or you spending 20 bucks.

Big spender over here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

This is incredible

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1197152608684781569

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TyrantWD posted:

You signed on for lavish parties and sticking it to your gardener when you left the country. Getting grilled by congress? No thank you, here's the crimes can I go now?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

:getin:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Woah

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1197152790348550145

(I can wait, personally. I don't really want to see Republicans clinging desperately to Trump's boots begging to prove they love him best, you know?)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

welp I was wrong, he's going full flip I guess, amazing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I'm not sure this could be any worse for the GOP

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

You signed on for lavish parties and sticking it to your gardener when you left the country. Getting grilled by congress? No thank you, here's the crimes can I go now?

He did get a little too big for his britches. He was actually doing policy for some reason unlike most of these rich fucks who buy an ambassadorship and just throw parties for other rich fucks in whatever country they are in.

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016
countdown to Trump tweeting "I don't even know Gordon Sondland, never met the guy"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm not sure this could be any worse for the GOP

You mean the Demonrats and HILLARY

Totally exonerates the president

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Holy poo poo. So that's a complete flip, isn't it? Probably smart, if you assume Trump isn't winning in 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Also holy cameras

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel it. This is the day Trump uses a slur in a tweet.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

The Fox News headline is exactly what I thought they'd post, "FOLLOW LIVE: Sondland rips Giuliani, acknowledges ‘potential quid pro quo’ but no ‘rogue diplomacy’"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DebtBeat posted:

countdown to Trump tweeting "I don't even know Gordon Sondland, never met the guy"

Didn't he already say he barely knew him?