Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Which one is space-France and space-Protestants? I assume Ottomans are space-Fremen and the Hapsburgs are space-Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Which one is space-France and space-Protestants? I assume Ottomans are space-Fremen and the Hapsburgs are space-Emperor.

If we’re actually doing comparisons then

Emperor- Space Spain/Hapsburgs. You think you own the place and get more money than sense.

Bene Gesserit- Space Papacy. You get to tell people what to do and are always picking favorites.

Spacing Guild- Space Netherlands. You make money from shipping and want the dummies to keep fighting each other.

House Harkonen- Space Ottomans. You start out super strong, but lose momentum once everyone’s seen your tricks.

Fremen- Space Protestants. As hard to kill as cockroaches and they come back just as fast.

House Atreides- this is where the metaphor breaks down I guess, were there any early modern Europeans known for spycraft? :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Atreides is Britain. They hold themselves to a higher standard which just means they have a charming naivete to their violent Imperialism and walk right into traps because only cowards are cautious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I know they won’t map 1:1 but I have a group that’s played here I stand and doesn’t know much about Dune aside from its popularity. I’ve read the book but haven’t played the game. A friend bought it so he’s looking forward to playing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a lot of overlap between Dune and traditional dudes-onna-map games like Inis, Blood Rage, and Khemet except with the added complexity that practically every element of the design is a currency you can use to bargain with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If we're mapping Dune (which I hvaen't played as a game) onto HIS/VQ, then the Bene Gesserit are France because breeding programme.

Louis XIV is the kwisatz haderach.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
England are the ones with the breeding programme in HIS tho.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I thought that was the Habsburgs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

al-azad posted:

[...] except with the added complexity that practically every element of the design is a currency you can use to bargain with.

This is a good description, and I think key to getting Dune to click. If you think the only money is money (spice), some factions are going to seem very lopsided. It can STILL be lopsided but it comes down to the players and what they value and how they use it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just picked up The Grizzled: a game of empathy, which is a neat little WW1 skinned coop. It's an excellent filler with more depth than expected.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tias posted:

Just picked up The Grizzled: a game of empathy, which is a neat little WW1 skinned coop. It's an excellent filler with more depth than expected.

The art in that game is really beautiful, too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Narrator posted:

The art in that game is really beautiful, too

The artist was dead before the game was released. His regular job was working for Charlie Hebdo and he was one of those killed in the attack.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

England are the ones with the breeding programme in HIS tho.

VoodooXT posted:

I thought that was the Habsburgs.

:eyepop:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tias posted:

I like that game quite a bit! I have yet to try the expansion though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Catan Go is a thing

https://catanworldexplorers.com/

quote:

Get ready for CATAN - World Explorers, an upcoming massively multiplayer augmented reality game that transforms the entire Earth into one giant game of CATAN. Harvest, trade, and build in the real-world as cities and landmarks are transformed into opportunities to collect resources and build settlements.
You’ll compete with your team simultaneously at local and global levels, and with friends in custom personal matches. Prevail as a seasonal champion and win rewards that follow your character into future seasons!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

soon i will have an excuse for yelling "do you have wood for sheep??" at my neighbors :mmmhmm:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My brain defaulted to a version of Go where you place hexagons instead of stones.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Interest check: I'm thinking about running a PBP of Android, with an angle towards showing off the game, and I'm curious if I'd get enough players. I'd be looking for people who at least know how to play, so it isn't too imbalanced. It wouldn't have the same hectic pace - given the potential for interrupts, I'd be fixing an update time to give people time to get PMs / COs in. Lemme know via PM.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Am I correct in assuming thst the cowboy Bebop game is probably poopy

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If you are going to BGG Con, I’ll be there. Almost certainly the only black woman over 60 so come up and say hi 😀

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elysium posted:

Played The Oregon Trail Game: Journey to Willamette Valley yesterday.

Thematically, it was actually kind of amazing and almost perfectly replicated the game experience. Some of us tried to forge through to the valley as quickly as possible, drat everything else. Some of us just constantly hunted. And some of us got super screwed by random events. Just like the game!

But then we got to the end of the game and the scoring system just floored us with how dumb it actually is. So when someone gets to the end, you finish that round and then calculate scores. We thought you got +$500 for bringing your wagon in to the valley, and then $100 for each health point of your family that made the journey alive, plus whatever money you had, minus money for how far away any family had died, and if you didn't finish, how far away your wagon was.

So I reached the valley first, having only 1 health point for each of my family, and 1 dead. This triggered two other players to try to scramble to reach the valley, both getting hilariously screwed trying to cross the same river. And the one player who was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back just selling everything they could for cash. Looked like I came in close second to one of the other players who reached the valley, and the one in the back not actually doing that terrible considering they barely moved the entire game.

But then we really read the rule closer, and you get $500 for your wagon... period. You just get $500. Everyone does. No need to bring to the valley. And you get $100 for each health point of your family, no matter where your wagon is. The only reason to go to the valley is if you manage to pick up a Hitchhiker ($400 for delivery) and because you don't lose money for being farther away.

So despite NEVER MOVING MORE THAN TWO COLUMNS AWAY FROM THE START OF THE GAME, the player in the back won by a ton! She just kept all her family health up at all cost of finishing and sold a bunch of poo poo. Got a few favorable cards towards the end, and despite getting like $1100 subtracted from her score for NEVER HAVING MOVED AT ALL TOWARDS OREGON she still won the game. What the gently caress.

Thematic! The sensible family just settled down in Ohio, safe and happy, while all you idiots Donner partied yourselves.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How about reworking Galaxy Trucker to be an Oregon Trail game

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man that was a real nail-biter, my last horse died back in South Dakota, but we somehow didn't get a single Open Plains card for the rest of the trip.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I would absolutely play that.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Note however that the good Oregon Trail game is not to be confused with this Exploding Kittens competitor.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Shadow225 posted:

Am I correct in assuming thst the cowboy Bebop game is probably poopy

Dunno. But speaking of licensed crap, my casual group has been playing the Binding of Isaac game a lot. If anyone saw it and wondered what it was, it's just Munchkin. Except it has some limits on how many gently caress you cards you can play at a time, so the game does actually end in a reasonable time frame.

Also the timing and numerous ambiguous card interactions are not explained in the rulebook but my buddies assure me we are playing it "like Yugioh" whatever that means, but it works pretty well and at least is consistent.

So yeah, if you were looking for Munchkin that ends on time, you could give it a go. If that sounds horrible to you, then steer clear. I'm not super into it and I hope they tire of it soon so we can move on to something else, but it's not the worst game we've played and you know it's just fun to play games even if they're not my favourite.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Slideshow on making games that appeal more to women, by Elizabeth Hargrave who did Wingspan.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1J_TXmL6js3qGCtVopLnn4ybgDrXBqMKZi5sBAZ6oI9c/edit?usp=sharing

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My wife refuses to play co-op games because she can't win them, which is fair I think.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Slideshow on making games that appeal more to women, by Elizabeth Hargrave who did Wingspan.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1J_TXmL6js3qGCtVopLnn4ybgDrXBqMKZi5sBAZ6oI9c/edit?usp=sharing

Slide 24 of that is very interesting, with the Top 10 games adjusted for complexity. I wonder what the methodology was behind that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magnetic North posted:

Slide 24 of that is very interesting, with the Top 10 games adjusted for complexity. I wonder what the methodology was behind that.

The analysis was first posted here, and there was some extensive discussion on Reddit (amongst other places).

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Aramoro posted:

My wife refuses to play co-op games because she can't win them, which is fair I think.

Wait what? You both win if you win.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Note however that the good Oregon Trail game is not to be confused with this Exploding Kittens competitor.

This game is hilariously bad. On your turn, you have to play a trail card representing your journey west. You have to play one if it is possible to do so, and most of them make you draw from a Calamity deck. Several of them, such as Snake Bite or Dysentery, just kill you. No choices, no recourse. Draw and be eliminated from the game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SettingSun posted:

This game is hilariously bad. On your turn, you have to play a trail card representing your journey west. You have to play one if it is possible to do so, and most of them make you draw from a Calamity deck. Several of them, such as Snake Bite or Dysentery, just kill you. No choices, no recourse. Draw and be eliminated from the game.

So it holds true to the original computer game.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

So it holds true to the original computer game.

Yeah that's exactly my recollection of playing that in the early 90s.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Aramoro posted:

Funnily enough my gf loves playing coop games because she can't lose (to others)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

No, you both draw at best.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Aramoro posted:

My wife is the same because she is very competitive. I record all our games and for the year she has a 70% win rate against me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OgreNoah posted:

It's not about Mrs Aramoro winning, it's about her beating him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I am amused by the comments from annoyed BGG users asking "how do you know that more complex games aren't inherently superior :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I am super not competitive and would take a draw any day.