Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Al! posted:

nytimes in full white settler mode

wapo schizophrenic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
pretty simple to me, the first one's a news story the second one's opinion

they allow truth into their opeds sometimes, but not their reporting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wsj is screaming BLOOD BLOOD as expected

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Al! posted:

jesus loving christ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

la times is going with the "they were coca growers so they deserved to die" line and is neglecting to mention that journalists have been attacked by police and soldiers

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Al! posted:

apparently this lady has just been publishing right-wing, anti-left nonsense about latin america for decades

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

not an endorsement posted:

apparently this lady has just been publishing right-wing, anti-left nonsense about latin america for decades

can you get more gringo than "mary anastasia o'grady" lmfao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1196864246698643459

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

death to america

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

yellowcar posted:

death to america

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Al! posted:

nytimes in full white settler mode

the best thing about rifts is that both sides have equal culpability :)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus christ even in their own loving framing that's NOT WHAT A loving INTERIM LEADER loving DOES

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

yellowcar posted:

death to america

:d2a:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Brazilian newspaper saying the Bolivian coup plotters tortured and killed Morales' dog.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
maybe now white usamerican liberals will condemn the coup

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
^^^
https://mobile.twitter.com/SuarezVotto/status/1196843040700325888

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's funny how the C-SPAM thread has so much more activity than the D&D one in this situation, in contrast with the threads when the Venezuela situation was being most reported on. I guess right-wingers doing a coup in Bolivia just doesn't rile liberals up in the same way as ~a bad left-wing "authoritarian"~ does (especially in light of the fact that the opposition leader they promoted for Venezuela supports the obviously-terrible coup in Bolivia).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
also, i swear to god, can somebody please steam those flags

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
john wick them evo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny how the C-SPAM thread has so much more activity than the D&D one in this situation, in contrast with the threads when the Venezuela situation was being most reported on. I guess right-wingers doing a coup in Bolivia just doesn't rile liberals up in the same way as ~a bad left-wing "authoritarian"~ does (especially in light of the fact that the opposition leader they promoted for Venezuela supports the obviously-terrible coup in Bolivia).

Guaido is exactly like them, an engineering dork who used to work at Best Buy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There were a handful of (not a) coup supporters posting but the right wing fascists pulled the mask off right away so a lot of their "buhbuhbuh democracy!" excuses evaporated

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

hate to say it but i am starting to suspect this government ain't so interim!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the fact that this government is having huge issues with keeping people in line, despite said people not even taking up guns yet tells me the govt is, in fact, very internim.

hopefully they all hang at the train station

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Truga posted:

the fact that this government is having huge issues with keeping people in line, despite said people not even taking up guns yet tells me the govt is, in fact, very internim.

hopefully they all hang at the train station

:pray:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

it's because the fascists actually took power in bolivia and started enacting fascism which made it hard for libs to keep defending, whereas in venezuela guaido remained schrodinger's president and so no one could definitively prove that he would have set up death squads

THS
Sep 15, 2017

vyelkin posted:

it's because the fascists actually took power in bolivia and started enacting fascism which made it hard for libs to keep defending, whereas in venezuela guaido remained schrodinger's president and so no one could definitively prove that he would have set up death squads

we can’t know for sure what would happen if the right wing in venezuela took over though.. that would be unfounded assertions and they might be genuine about restoring democracy. if you oppose guaido just because he is against maduro then, well, that’s a pretty typical tankie attitude. anyway i am going to credulously believe this venezuelan who just registered an account today, writes perfect english, and refuses to say what their ideological point of view is

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

an Argentine journalist and a Mexican photographer are currently trapped inside a military cordon in Senkata, they're saying that everyone who attempts to leave is getting shot and that the police are hunting them specifically. these are the guys responsible for getting most of the footage of today's massacre out.

https://twitter.com/F_ortegazabala/status/1196959902041870336

these two journos escaped and are now reporting again after a nerve wracking evening.

others weren't so lucky, we don't have a definite count yet but so far it looks like yesterday's death toll exceeds the Cochabamba massacre

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starting to think female fascist dictators might also be bad, but on the other hand she has some real girl power sticking it to the man like this so who's to say she is in the wrong?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

is guaido right wing or just typical lovely neoliberal rear end in a top hat?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

THS posted:

we can’t know for sure what would happen if the right wing in venezuela took over though.. that would be unfounded assertions and they might be genuine about restoring democracy. if you oppose guaido just because he is against maduro then, well, that’s a pretty typical tankie attitude. anyway i am going to credulously believe this venezuelan who just registered an account today, writes perfect english, and refuses to say what their ideological point of view is

"I won't give you tankie fucks the satisfaction of revealing my ideology" was an all-time great post.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

brugroffil posted:

is guaido right wing or just typical lovely neoliberal rear end in a top hat?

yes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brugroffil posted:

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

Yes, but the difference isn't that one is not right wing

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

brugroffil posted:

how much difference is there between the mob boss and the hitman

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

brugroffil posted:

in the united states domestic politics there is a difference between those factions. in south america though... pinochet and friedman worked hand in glove.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

in the united states domestic politics there is a difference between those factions. in south america though... pinochet and friedman, the democrats, the republicans, the cia and the entire western media establishment worked hand in glove.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

Oh? More Americans have died from lack of access to healthcare since the Bolivian coup than have Bolivians been killed by the coup forces in that time.

That one does it while being decorous and wearing a suit and gladhanding for the cameras while the other does it with a gun does not make one less evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

in the united states domestic politics there is a difference between those factions. in south america though... pinochet and friedman worked hand in glove.

The difference is that neoliberalism has realized hegemony through its control of both parties in the American political system, so it doesn't need to collaborate with fascism. In most other cases neoliberalism & fascism go hand-in-hand, because a dictatorship of the fasces is the only way to realize a neoliberal agenda and letting neoliberals run the economy is one less thing fascists have to worry about. Fascists primarily care about the pageantry of power, and couldn't care less about the details of running a state.