Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/I_Am_Yakiti/status/1196303848849231872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Randaconda posted:

5) That Johnny Depp piece of poo poo movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmzZaB0kss

I will stand up for the Bollywood song about a fat child, but I haven't seen the rest of the movie and I assume it's exactly as bad as you'd think from the framing bits of this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In the shipping one I think the big ship has flags for, I have a Pilot and You're Running into Danger' and hers are 'I'm Carrying Dangerous Cargo' and 'My ship is healthy' i.e no one on board is diseased.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

PERSONAL OPINION ABOUT THE WONKA MOVIES INCOMING

While I like all right thinking people find the original movie superior in most every way, I find the old oompa loompa songs boring and tedious.
The new songs are better and are performed in an engaging way.

This was my personal opinion, thanks.

P.s. I also enjoyed the dentist daddy addition.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aramoro posted:

In the shipping one I think the big ship has flags for, I have a Pilot and You're Running into Danger' and hers are 'I'm Carrying Dangerous Cargo' and 'My ship is healthy' i.e no one on board is diseased.

Pretty sure yellow means piss play.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

His autobiography made a huge impression on me as a child and it wasn't until I was much older and had history degrees that I really realized he was the prototypical imperial subject, working for shell and flying planes around Africa and just generally being a cog in the extractive colonial apparatus, which he characterizes as a big fun adventure and is how I read it as a kid to

If I ever have kids I'll have them read Dahl but he's certainly representative of a lot of the cultural baggage from the mid-20th century people like to not acknowledge if they can avoid it

The contrast between his homelife with his loving norwegian mom and the constant abuse he suffers at english boarding school is the grist for all his kids books.

The fact that english boarding school was so abusive that going to war and being an exploitative oil guy seemed way better is the system functioning as intended.

Seldom Posts has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Nov 20, 2019

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Despite being an massive antisemite I do think Roald Dahl's books are good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangling_modifier

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

By popular demand posted:

PERSONAL OPINION ABOUT THE WONKA MOVIES INCOMING

While I like all right thinking people find the original movie superior in most every way, I find the old oompa loompa songs boring and tedious.
The new songs are better and are performed in an engaging way.

This was my personal opinion, thanks.

P.s. I also enjoyed the dentist daddy addition.

But what about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJnzoUvR_k

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Maybe it's just my age showing but I find T&J and Wonka to be two competing flavours that just don't work well together.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like the oompa songs from the remake, thats about it though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Besesoth posted:

Roald Dahl also wrote the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice", which strikes me as especially odd because Ian Fleming wrote the almost Dahl-esque "Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang".

Roald Dahl was in the service with Fleming and he was part of the inspiration for the James Bond character, specifically his constant womanizing.

The cold-blooded murdering was inspired by Sir Christopher Lee.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

That was great, thanks for the link!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

Roald Dahl was in the service with Fleming and he was part of the inspiration for the James Bond character, specifically his constant womanizing.

The cold-blooded murdering was inspired by Sir Christopher Lee.

Dahl was an intelligence officer for the UK, but then it's more likely Fleming based most of the character on his brother, Peter Fleming.

Roald Dahl was a really interesting person though, Pilot, Spy, Medical Inventor, Children's Author, Horror & Sci fi Author.

He still has things to teach parents today as his daughter died of measles, so you know, vaccinate your kids.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nothing about that is good in any way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmzZaB0kss

I will stand up for the Bollywood song about a fat child, but I haven't seen the rest of the movie and I assume it's exactly as bad as you'd think from the framing bits of this.

Eh, it's okay. Decent performances by all. Christopher Lee is always great, and Deep Roy is always fun. Hey even got Geoffrey Holder, Baron Samedi from Live and Let Die, to narrate. It's arguably even more batshit than the first movie.

The first teaser definitely expresses the deep weirdness of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7Js7hY1DE

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

The candyman doesn't hit the kid in the face when he lifts the counter. 0/10.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/shenanigansen/status/1197215955434311680

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MAD magazine did it better years ago

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Jack Davis was one of the top ten American cartoonists, and probably in the top three most versatile.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Owns

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ultrafilter posted:

If your only exposure to the works of Roald Dahl is the Willy Wonka movies, reading some of the books is an eye-opening experience.

The Twits forever.

quote:

If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Frog Act posted:

His autobiography made a huge impression on me as a child and it wasn't until I was much older and had history degrees that I really realized he was the prototypical imperial subject, working for shell and flying planes around Africa and just generally being a cog in the extractive colonial apparatus, which he characterizes as a big fun adventure and is how I read it as a kid to

If I ever have kids I'll have them read Dahl but he's certainly representative of a lot of the cultural baggage from the mid-20th century people like to not acknowledge if they can avoid it

...I never thought of it like that before. Hmm.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Powerful man's revenge."

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Powerful man's revenge."

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do mind. Read a drat book.

I'm the obnoxious prick who read War and Peace, Infinite Jest, half of Pynchon's novels, and the entirety of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. If I don't feel like reading a book, I ain't gonna read it!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

No crazy hair, door kicking, or dunking; a bad death bulge comic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

No crazy hair, door kicking, or dunking; a bad death bulge comic.

That's not a hat.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tired of these fake mob girls.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

what the poo poo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

beanieson posted:

what the poo poo

Cowboy Game 2

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Can't have these without the final payoff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think Deathbulge is my favorite web comic.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

RIP Gahan Wilson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mister Mind posted:

RIP Gahan Wilson

gently caress. At least it's a relevant PYF thread this time.