Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I forget which podcast it was, but Matt told the story of his leg injury as a guest as part of his "becoming a leftist" saga, and it explains a whole lot. I mean that genuinely, not in a snarky way

If I think of it, I'll post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was from his interview with CounterPunch.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Yes, thank you!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Matt is divorced, and he touched the poop

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
HIGH HIGH HOPES FOR A LIVING! while piloting the hindenberg into a forest fire mental image has had me laughing on and off for 48 hours

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/1197201478986948609 oh dear

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Tried listening to a few episodes of Chapo. Just never really got into it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
probably means something good about your brain, honestly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have to wonder how much of it too is Brendan and later Chris being really good at editing out dumb tangents

I've been listening to Chapo from the beginning recently (up to episode 23 or 24 now) and they were always good about this, so I attribute it mostly to Will.

Gripweed posted:

It's crazy to think about how much it's changed since the start. Will got fat...

That's it that's the only change.

This is one thing I've noticed; when I started listening to these early episodes I was expecting some big difference, but after literally the first one or two episodes it started to basically sound almost the same as the later episodes. The main things I've noticed is that they seemed to do a LOT more cold opens originally and they directly referenced twitter stuff more often.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Nov 20, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ahhh son of a bitch, I didn't know there was a debate tonight

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ReapersTouch posted:

Tried listening to a few episodes of Chapo. Just never really got into it.

tbqh i think the only part i actually liked was them ripping and riffing on the flynns, but that memory is so incredibly funny that it is carrying me through episode after episode.

also virgil is a surprisingly good dry interviewer, which is a very different kind of content, but i really appreciate it when it comes around.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TheBalor posted:

Okay, maybe someone here can answer me on what exactly happened with Brown Moses? Early on during the Syrian Civil War, he was just a poster, and as it developed he became quite popular. Even when he started Bellingcat, people still liked him...and then there's silence for a while, and then everyone hates the guy. I get that people are saying he's a CIA stooge of some sort, but what happened here that he became persona non grata? When did the face-heel turn happen?

when he got hired by the CIA

THS
Sep 15, 2017

420 Gank Mid posted:

when he got hired by the CIA

the money is laundered through the atlantic council please be fair to him

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i think the only part i actually liked was them ripping and riffing on the flynns, but that memory is so incredibly funny that it is carrying me through episode after episode.

also virgil is a surprisingly good dry interviewer, which is a very different kind of content, but i really appreciate it when it comes around.

I listened to him interview Alan Moore and it was a good one. None of the other ones made me want to put in the time to finish them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I've been listening to Chapo from the beginning recently (up to episode 23 or 24 now) and they were always good about this, so I attribute it mostly to Will.

This is one thing I've noticed; when I started listening to these early episodes I was expecting some big difference, but after literally the first one or two episodes it started to basically sound almost the same as the later episodes. The main things I've noticed is that they seemed to do a LOT more cold opens originally and they directly referenced twitter stuff more often.

brendan joined like three episodes in

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

GOTTA HAVE HIGH HIGH HOPES FOR A LIVING

Read this in Discworld's Death voice/text choice and it really makes me appreciate ol' Terry.

e:

Goon Danton posted:

Ahhh son of a bitch, I didn't know there was a debate tonight

It's also Trans Day of Remembrance, a yearly date to remember all the trans people killed that year. It's almost all trans women of color in the US, and Brazil worldwide. Can't wait for Kopmala to bring it up tonight to show she's down with the transes

this year it's 37 in the US and 369 worldwide :)

T-man has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Nov 20, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i think part of why im still with chapo, to get kinda weird and e/n for a minute, is its this lifeline that has persisted through the longest four years of american history

virgil's got a line in We Live In The Zone Now, which is still an absolutely incredible hour of radio, about how people are going to need someone to be mad a thow bullshit the world is and still make them laugh in order to get through it, and like

yeah man

poo poo absolutely sucks but i know that when awfull hellworld poo poo goes on my friends on the podcast are going to call the rapist judge a disgusting bog ape while audibly vibrating from barely suppressed rage

its just been this one consistent thing in a really wild moment in all of our lives, for me at least. that and cspam are how i know im not alone in this nightmare dimension

also i'll take a big mac

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
and matt was right this is exactly like if loving grimace became president

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crepeface posted:

not true, virgil also got fat

virgil is also a sex weird now :nws:

and will swings

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I am not clicking that link

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
c'mon, give it a shot

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Ytlaya posted:

There is an ep where they specifically talk about how they're done talking about Twitter people who don't have any pull in the real world Candice Aiston etc I think part because it was repetitive and part because they were getting too popular to talk about nobodies, iirc it was around Charlottesville

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ReapersTouch posted:

Started the Revolutions podcast from the beginning, and boy howdy do I not give a poo poo about the English civil war.

The English one is kind of annoying because it's fairly low stakes until Cromwell invades Ireland. American one is rough outside of a few parts I didn't know like what led up to Saratoga, but since I'm American I knew most of it

But they're both really useful for leading into the French series which is absolutely standout, and that goes right into the Haitian one which is also amazing.

Its been kind of a let down since then though - 1832,1848 and 1870 Europe are just failures, and the Bolivar stuff in south America is just interminable failures. Mexican one was kind of interesting in that it was groups of generals backstabbing each other over and over, plus the USA loving things up too .

I'm super excited for the Russian one that's going on now but like to build up a month or two of eps and go through them all at once. That, China and Cuba are the three I care about after french and Haitian

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and will swings

that's just a poetry reading, book launch party you plebes

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and will swings

Honestly I was expecting something far worse. Is this picture from that terrible booj sex party?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the shock that some posters expressed over the article about that party shocked me in return. apparently some of us meant significantly different things by "dirtbag left."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

the shock that some posters expressed over the article about that party shocked me in return. apparently some of us meant significantly different things by "dirtbag left."

honestly i was just bored by it, like, drat you're transgressive, doing drugs and loving. wow. norms are destroyed

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is some extremely bougie Brooklyn poo poo

the treatlads' attendance is not disqualifying, merely funny

THS
Sep 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and will swings

good for them

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you think I won't make post about dumb poo poo you are out of your goddamn mind

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The fact people were clutching their pearls over the party itself and not that an article was written about it was honestly kind of demoralizing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

The fact people were clutching their pearls over the party itself and not that an article was written about it was honestly kind of demoralizing

yeah i dont understand why that was noteworthy

send that writer to a juggalo party

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

honestly i was just bored by it, like, drat you're transgressive, doing drugs and loving. wow. norms are destroyed
Don't forget the really bad poetry about doing drugs and loving.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Doc Hawkins posted:

What is politics if not a formalization of all your neuroses and complexes about the sex other people are having?

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

I'm super excited for the Russian one that's going on now but like to build up a month or two of eps and go through them all at once. That, China and Cuba are the three I care about after french and Haitian

Unfortunately, the Russian Revolution is probably going to be the end point of the podcast, or at least that’s the plan from around a year or two ago.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is some extremely bougie Brooklyn poo poo

the treatlads' attendance is not disqualifying, merely funny

i just thought it was funny that virgil's getting fat now

here's the article about it if you wanna read it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
what article is this now? please link and let me kill the remaining time before i can go home

e: ^^^cheers!

e2: christ that was tiresome

Clipperton has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Nov 20, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the tweet where someone was mad at the critics and saying 'uhh it's called seizing the means of production? maybe uve heard of it?' to justify their bougioise drug orgy was pretty epic

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i just thought it was funny that virgil's getting fat now

all liquid diets and the gamer lifestyle tend to do that to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

goons never been to a party lmao