Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

dogsicle posted:

i've also got one slot open at 111,489,815 extra-specially hmu if you're putting up a maxed NP2 Gil during the lotto

IF I am lucky with my rolling starting Thursday (IFFFF) then I will definitely put him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
EDIT: double post, ignore

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Omobono posted:

Request sent, I should be able to max Golden Rule if needed.

Also :lol: at that 6 bonus CE setup.

much obliged :tipshat:

i know i'll have superscope lantoria up but not much else exciting

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Omobono posted:

Kojiro is low key one of my favourite bits of Fate insanity. Yeah, this random nameless farmer learned how to sword so well, he broke reality and achieved True Magic (or at least a limited facet of it but still).

I never liked Kojiro's backstory. Saying that some random farmer found a katana and ran off to a mountain where he spent the rest of his life practicing with it alone without receiving any swordsmanship training or ever fighting anyone somehow managed to become an ultimate swordsman who could surpass heroes with decades of proper training and combat experience as well as break the laws of physics through trying really really hard just felt too ridiculous even by Fate standards.

Vengarr posted:

I guess that gets down to what Yagyu was saying--about how Musashi would never be able to face her rival, because no human could master an "infinite" sword.

It would take some kinda bizarro sword ghost to help her achieve the Void.

The one who had said that was the ghost of Arima Kihei, who was the first person Musashi ever dueled, in her trial quest. Musashi didn't need Kojiro to reach the void, since she managed that after her fight with the historically accurate old man.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Todays Saturday's episode is sure gonna be something.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 20, 2019

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

dogsicle posted:

there's a setup sheet that's been going around here, minor formatting/proofreading issues aside: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1448wbABDw8yAxHQtzg05uytlNmwSsaHIx-GmrtK-EqY/edit#gid=316046083

There's another Christmas setup spreadsheet by SoA:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIpll9LyEGxtnMtp3Ytn2qppVKc3MyQOv83pfqVyy4Q/htmlview?sle=true

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i love a good soa sheet, ty

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Factor_VIII posted:

I never liked Kojiro's backstory. Saying that some random farmer found a katana and ran off to a mountain where he spent the rest of his life practicing with it alone without receiving any swordsmanship training or ever fighting anyone somehow managed to become an ultimate swordsman who could surpass heroes with decades of proper training and combat experience as well as break the laws of physics through trying really really hard just felt too ridiculous even by Fate standards.

The one who had said that was the ghost of Arima Kihei, who was the first person Musashi ever dueled, in her trial quest. Musashi didn't need Kojiro to reach the void, since she managed that after her fight with the historically accurate old man.

Arent there plenty of heroic stories where the protagonist in question never receives training and just has god given gifts in fighting instinct.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes. It's really weird to see someone complain that a guy achieving great feats through sheer hard work and determination is unrealistic, when those are two of Shiro's defining characteristics that let him defeat the people he defeats in FSN. Kojiro isn't even considered a high end servant in the servant rankings and only holds his own in FSN through the fact he has stairs as a tactical advantage against a majority of his enemies.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hate cool things

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Rando that I had on my list with the friend message 'Gigguk Was Right' finally hit 30 days since last login and was pruned from my list.

I'm sad that I'll never know what the hell he was talking about. RIP, you mysterious gentleman.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Crasical posted:

Rando that I had on my list with the friend message 'Gigguk Was Right' finally hit 30 days since last login and was pruned from my list.

I'm sad that I'll never know what the hell he was talking about. RIP, you mysterious gentleman.

gigguk is a godawful anime youtuber, not missing out on anything there

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shipon posted:

gigguk is a godawful anime youtuber, not missing out on anything there
Gigguk is the McDonalds of servicable anime reviews.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

doubt

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Yes. It's really weird to see someone complain that a guy achieving great feats through sheer hard work and determination is unrealistic, when those are two of Shiro's defining characteristics that let him defeat the people he defeats in FSN. Kojiro isn't even considered a high end servant in the servant rankings and only holds his own in FSN through the fact he has stairs as a tactical advantage against a majority of his enemies.
Stairs as well as Caster's magical backup along with the temple itself being unfavorable to servants forcing them to walk up the stairs. Otherwise Heracles wouldn't have been forced back.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Give me my tickets grandpa

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Are we getting apologems for missing out apologems now? :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope with all of this compensation I really do get Jalter in January

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Squiddycat posted:

I hope with all of this compensation I really do get Jalter in January

I will cross my fingers for you. Jalter is a good friend and everyone should hang out with her.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ignis posted:

Are we getting apologems for missing out apologems now? :v:

Looks like they appeared after all, I was able to claim the tickets.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Shirou had magic powers that he improved in order to do the things he did. And those powers gave him the weapons and strength of powerful heroes, which allowed him to go toe to toe with much more powerful enemies. As for Kojiro, he held his own because nobody every did something he had no defense against such as use a ranged attack. Even Artoria could have blown him away without a fight if she had used Invisible Air.

I have to say that the idea that if you can break the laws of physics if you work hard enough does sound extremely Japanese.

Aurora posted:

I hate cool things

That was the equivalent of saying that an ordinary dude went into a forest and practiced punching by himself until he was able to punch through tanks with no magic powers because he tried hard enough. I preferred the way they handled Musashi since she both received swordsmanship training and then actually fought against a large number of really strong opponents in order to improve (and had a magic sword that allowed her to kill supernatural entities).

ChronoReverse posted:

Stairs as well as Caster's magical backup along with the temple itself being unfavorable to servants forcing them to walk up the stairs. Otherwise Heracles wouldn't have been forced back.

It is rather funny how Nasu realized he had overdone it when he had said that Kojiro forced Herc back in FSN and later had to come up with the explanation that Medea used gravity magic to keep Herc from advancing. After all Herc could have literally just gone up the stairs and walked past Kojiro and the latter wouldn't have been able to even scratch him.

Nasu really had Herc job way too much. Another example of that was Emiya taking 5 lives during their duel in the Fate route, which makes no sense when you consider that in UBW Emiya had the time to fully charge up a powerful broken phantasm and use it to snipe Herc while he was distracted by Artoria and Herc was still able to block the attack and suffer no damage. In Fate Emiya would have had Herc in his face, giving him no time to prepare any weapons capable of harming him. I think it would have made more sense to just say that Emiya delayed Herc without killing him.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Got my NP2 Gilgamesh with my second ten roll, leaving me a fair bit of both tickets and quartz to try for Okita tomorrow. I'm pretty happy right now. Also got my third Suzuka Gozen as the last roll.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i had set aside the xmas embers for a certain archer

...not that one, but i won't complain

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I thought gill was cool based on babylonia but then I saw a video of him blinding Illya what the gently caress is even this franchise

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Roger Explosion posted:

I thought gill was cool based on babylonia but then I saw a video of him blinding Illya what the gently caress is even this franchise

Caster Gil is cool, kid Gil is somewhat cool, Archer Gil is a prick.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

With his bad boy attitude, Archer Gil is a real heartbreaker. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We all have our edgy teenage phases.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roger Explosion posted:

I mean yeah, the series has existed for 15 years and Gil started as unrepentant shithead, so you missed a lot of character changing Gil has gone through

Holy poo poo, you are a tedious person.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

-powerlevels-

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

YggdrasilTM posted:

So, I dunno about Kid Gil, but the difference in Archer and Caster is tied into his myth.

Archer Gil is him in his prime, and his legend shows him as a pompous, self-absorbed rear end in a top hat who was such a hard partier that the people of Uruk begged the gods to stop him. So they send down Enkidu, who was found in the forest by a prostitute who later brought him to Uruk. When they first met they fought for a full week, then became best bros until they partied too hard, killed the wrong divine beast and the gods Killed Enkidu in retaliation.

Caster Gil is him after he came back from his quest for immortality, realizing that life is fleeting and meaningful, and dedicating himself to being a king deserving of his life. He is still far from humble, but he recognizes himself and other mortals for their value and uses judgement and logic rather than pure force to solve problems.

It's actually a fun contrast in their characters, I think.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's something amusing about how FGO gave Alter forms to a lot of Servants so we could get cool evil versions of them whereas by contrast we get a good version of Gil.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I do kinda think it's hilarious that archer gil's alignment isn't actually evil

he's just such a loving dick

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's not just that. Gil was cartoonishly evil in FSN and they dialed it back significantly in his later portrayals, such as CCC, once they realized how popular he was. To justify that shift they came up with the rationalization that he was so evil in FSN because he hated capitalism:

quote:

Interview summary: "Apparently Gil's personality is heavily influenced by the era he's summoned into. He was a jerk in FSN because the world (his property) was being sullied by the consumption society of the early 2000s, which rubbed him the wrong way. He's taken a liking to the virtual world of 2032, though, so his personality is more stable and closer to how he actually was in life. Wada says he reminds her a little of Hollow Ataraxia Gil."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I thought it was cus of the mud

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Factor_VIII posted:

To justify that shift they came up with the rationalization that he was so evil in FSN because he hated capitalism:

oh my god that's the loving best

capitalism is so bad it makes a hero known for being an rear end in a top hat in history even eviler

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I hate cool things, also women

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Where the hell are you pulling this poo poo from?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

I agree that Artemis as a character in FGO is an abortion. DW took a fierce, harsh and untamed virgin goddess and turned her into a retarded bimbo who spends all her time chasing after a man. If anything, her looks and personality would fit more with Aphrodite who had relatively large breasts and slept around.

It's true that there was one ancient author who had recorded a legend saying that Artemis had loved Orion but that was at most a local belief of a small minority and the result of syncreticism with another goddess. Most ancient Greeks did not believe it. I think the only reason DW portrayed Artemis that was was so they could keep making the 'joke' of people getting shocked when they noticed that Artemis' personality was the complete opposite of how she was remembered. Pretty much the same reason they made Caesar fat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i fell down a rabbit hole of reading about the characters in this and, as someone who's pretty familiar with Type-Moon stuff but had been avoiding this poo poo, this game sounds loving batshit bonkers

Kiritsugu's back, he's an Assassin Servant, and he's super loving creepy-looking? there's apparently enough different alternate OG Sabers that you could fill a baseball team? Rin and Sakura got possessed by ancient goddesses and are now sorta-kinda Servants? there's yet another EMIYA and he's even edgier than the original and also, apparently, a black guy? apparently Saber Alter is back, but she's chill now, and there's an event where she's goddamn Santa Claus for some reason? what the gently caress is going on in this game? :psyboom:

is this, like, actually a fun game? because if it is i might get over my gacha aversion and deep-dive this bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

So disliking what Fate did with a mythological figure means that I hate women? Amazing, your deductive reasoning would leave Sherlock Holmes in awe. And what's cool is in the eye of the beholder.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 21, 2019