Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

ngl mates, i feel perky again tbh. feel like doing the shawn michaels dance. it is written. we have to win.

Now I'm imagining Corbs giving Johnson Sweet Chin Music last night and hell, it's an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

I've been too addicted to Death Stranding to watch debates or read this thread, how was the debate? My impression from the media is that Boris won? And that the crowd groaned when Corbyn talked about the impact of climate change on the world's poorest people, sounds about right.

Can't blame you for being addicted to death stranding, I keep having to stop playing because it's hard as gently caress to play drunk tho.

The debate went pretty well, I felt. Johnson was a disingenuous oval office the whole time and Corbyn wasn't at his strongest performance but while a majority think Johnson "won" it 2/3rds though Corbyn did a good job compared to 3/5s for Johnson.

Oh and the galaxy brain brigade have been screaming that Corbyn pronounced "Epstein" too Jewishly and that means he's an anti-Semite

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

"Hey now let's put it all in perspective - it's not like I had Diana killed!

That was done by.."

*Andrew keels over dead from sudden 'heart attack'*

still expecting them to walk into Andrew's bedroom to find Epstein's corpse

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

mediaphage posted:

Ok let's cut out the middleman: an app that summons someone to poop on a Tory.

I believe Jeffrey Epschtlom used to handle that.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

RockyB posted:

Quick tip: If you donate blood you get tested for HIV, Herpes and lots of other things for free!

(But you can't donate if you're gay. Obvs.)

[Or did they change that?]

Just a note on this, if you think you may have been infected DO NOT DONATE BLOOD to test yourself - get a proper test done.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Mentioned at work today to my friend/colleague that I was applying for a proxy vote. He had a look at the form and said he needed to get on that too. We joked about voting for the Lib Dems, he's literally a communist and used to pester us about forming a union and has a no gods, no masters tattoo. When I asked how he was voting (he's Scottish so SNP felt possible) he said... the Greens??? lmao and wtf m8

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1197191790677364736

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's perfectly legal to register in multiple locations, and many if not most universities register students to vote as part of sign-up procedures though?

Yep, here's a loving tory minister lauding praise on one of the first universities to include voter registration in their degree enrolment process - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/voter-registration-chris-skidmore-1.665948

Newton-Dunn in a disgrace, not that anyone really needed reminding of the fact

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1197081943181086721

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paperhouse posted:

Mentioned at work today to my friend/colleague that I was applying for a proxy vote. He had a look at the form and said he needed to get on that too. We joked about voting for the Lib Dems, he's literally a communist and used to pester us about forming a union and has a no gods, no masters tattoo. When I asked how he was voting (he's Scottish so SNP felt possible) he said... the Greens??? lmao and wtf m8

The Scottish Greens are the best party in Scotland in fairness. They are notably less melty than the England & Wales Greens. It's why the arguments from Nat supporters that they wish the party was further left but it has to be a broad church to win support for indy fall flat with me, the Greens are better than the Nats on everything while still being pro-indy if that's your thing. With the added bonus of receiving 40,000 more votes than the Lib Dems in 2016.

Mind you, not sure there's much point voting for them for Westminster, they aren't going to win a seat. More's the pity.

https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/1197196285939462144?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Only the Lib Dems can enter heaven

In the same sense that only Nixon could go to China, presumably.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/odranwaldo/status/1196826098585214977?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
GB stops at Northampton.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Ha ha this is a good tweet.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Yeah scotgreens are cool even for a watermelon like me

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

chestnut santabag posted:

Just a note on this, if you think you may have been infected DO NOT DONATE BLOOD to test yourself - get a proper test done.

if you want to get tested for whatever reason and are near the capital then Dean Street Express in Soho is fab and free (and just down the road from a Karl Marx blue plaque)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

Only the Lib Dems can enter heaven

Jo Swinson is gonna take a running jump at the eye of that needle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

The other thing they have over basically every other party in Scotland is they have absolutely staked out a position on trans rights and there's not a TERF in their midst, at least of their MSPs. Breath of fresh air.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mugsbaloney posted:

the best thing was when someone called them "watermelons" and they had special badges made combining a watermelon with their logo, which they wore in parliament

forkboy84 posted:

The other thing they have over basically every other party in Scotland is they have absolutely staked out a position on trans rights and there's not a TERF in their midst, at least of their MSPs. Breath of fresh air.

the closest thing is Andy Wightman going to one of the terfs' meetings once and then getting seemingly forced into making a twitter apology shortly afterward. unless he starts Just Asking Questions at some point it's very possible it was just a genuine ignorance of dog whistles from a guy who's spent his life caring more about land reform than queer theory. i mean there are probably some members somewhere with grumbles but it's nice to see a party actually telling people to cut that poo poo out when they mess up publicly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I've said it before, but we need to get this guy posting in here

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sanford posted:

At a major, major charity today (name three big charities off the top of your head and odds-on you've got it) and had to listen to one of the trustees ranting about how if Labour get in then everyone will need charity, and there'll be no-one left to give it. I hate myself for it but I had to sit quietly - not worth losing the contract and therefore my job in order to tell an old oval office he's an old oval office. Ray of hope as I lef though- my main contact at the organisation talked to me in the lift about how she doesn't necessarily agree with what he was saying, and we made a few increasingly left-wing statements to each other without outright declaring any political allegiance. We got to the ground floor, the doors opened and she said she was going straight back up so I stepped out the lift and she said "[Sanford]?" and I turned round and she said "For the many" and the lift doors closed and it was like something out of a film and it was great. Drove home with a big old smile on my face.
charities are effectively under purdah during the election, trustees especially
e&w: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...lection-special
scotland: https://www.oscr.org.uk/guidance-and-forms/guidance-and-good-practice-for-charity-trustees/

don't know of an effective reporting mechanism though

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RE: Bloodchat a few hours ago

It's because us lesbians are actually perfect, immortal, gorgeous beings of light and grace.

forkboy84 posted:

The individual in question is cautious to avoid identification so all I'll say is that I know the person who drove this policy through, more-or-less on a single-handed crusade for trans rights, and that they are extremely good people. Scotgreens are good, would be strongly tempted by them were I in that bonnie land.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

the best thing was when someone called them "watermelons" and they had special badges made combining a watermelon with their logo, which they wore in parliament
Did Tam Laird try to gently caress it?

e: ^ Oh god please tell me loving TERFs haven't jumped on the "if self ID then 'men who have sex with men' meaningless and we'll all get HIV" thing.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

charities are effectively under purdah during the election, trustees especially
e&w: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...lection-special
scotland: https://www.oscr.org.uk/guidance-and-forms/guidance-and-good-practice-for-charity-trustees/

don't know of an effective reporting mechanism though

Closed meeting though, I was the only person there not employed by the charity. Don’t know if that makes a difference but he wasn’t campaigning as such, more just being a horrible old bastard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

“I’d like you to welcome my friend and our candidate to be the next prime minister,” says Sanders [Libdem candidate in Hampstead and Kilburn]. “The voice of a new liberal generation”.

Swinson says that Corbyn and Johnson only know how to rehash ideas from the past – “whether it’s the 1970s or the 1870s”.
[...]
“We are the only party that can win a significant number of seats from the Conservatives and deprive them a majority,” says the Lib Dem leader.
[...]
“The future of our country is in our hands ... so if you want to stop Boris Johnson and stop Brexit then vote Liberal Democrat. If you want a £50bn bonus to improve your life, vote Liberal Democrat ... If you want to work with our friends to tackle the climate crisis, vote Liberal Democrat. If you want to build a brighter future, vote Liberal Democrat.”

Strong Hilary energy there.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Tesseraction posted:

Jo Swinson should resign, she's clearly allowed anti-Semitism to run rampant in the Liberal Democrats.

Well I mean, proportionally this does indicate the lib dems have a much larger %age of anti-semites.

As a reminder while the lib manifesto is being spaffed out:

RockyB fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 20, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Have any labour candidates been directly accused of antisemitism? I'm aware of members and stuff, no idea what anyone "official" has done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does ted heath look like alex jones?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nonce Force Plus!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have any labour candidates been directly accused of antisemitism? I'm aware of members and stuff, no idea what anyone "official" has done.

I hear the Islington North candidate said shtein instead of stein.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

quote:

Swinson says that Corbyn and Johnson only know how to rehash ideas from the past – “whether it’s the 1970s or the 1870s”.

Swinson is by contrast relatively up-to-date. She knows how to rehash ideas from the 2010s, the only period of relevance the Lib Dems will ever have in this century :getin:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

RockyB posted:

Well I mean, proportionally this does indicate the lib dems have a much larger %age of anti-semites.

As a reminder while the lib manifesto is being spaffed out:

Someone else from my local pollyticks FB page must be here, because this was posted there, and I haven't seen it in the wild.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His idea to return the land to common ownership is straight from the 1640s! :byodame:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

voter registration closes midnight next tuesday 26th november at 11:59pm - register! https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

here's the stats with a week of applications left to go comparing all of 2017 to where we are in 2019 now:

yeah the 55+ age band have more registrations now compared to the end of voter reg in 2017. what i don't know is if this counts all voter application submitted, or fresh voters - this could just show how many people are making sure they're on the register or updating details

the real surge in applications is in the next week, especially the last day so don't let the current deficit for <45 get you down. the section at the bottom for To Date shows applications are up by 38.58% across the board, with the lowest being 25-34 at 21.39% which could be due to saturation (there aren't any official figures for # of voters per age band although i do have an experiment involving ONS population figures, quasi-official turnouts at the age bands and reweighing polls against that rather than the the pollster's weights)

speaking of i'll go check if kantar have disclosed their data for yesterday's poll yet
raw data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing

bit clearer:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 20, 2019

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've been really optimistic about the election - plus how can I convince someone else to vote Labour if I don't think they'd win - but having a bit of a wobble today.

If the Tories get into power I don't know how I feel about another five years of this poo poo. And the knowledge that media (print and digital) dominates opinion regardless of experience or even empathy, it feels as if the chances of any future left government is slim. The effect capitalism has on the environment, or health, education means the future looks increasingly bleak within our lifetimes, let alone the next century - we can't survive capitalism.

And if the conservatives got into power are we meant to wait another five years for the chance at losing again? It is putting the future in the hands of those who won't be living in it, a bequethment of turds. Does an entire country lack the confidence for something better rather than putting up with more poo poo?

Anyway, I'm going to make a calzone for tea and stuff it with chorizo and brie. Treat yourself!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a thread title and a half lol.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That's a thread title and a half lol.

Talking of which...

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1197213153852977153?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab you said that my obvious joke screenshot was too obvious but there's a furious man in my replies trying to debunk it, including retweeting me with a correction and replying to everyone who replied to me with a screenshot of the original manifesto.

Naturally I've accused him of doctoring the screenshot to protect Dear Leader and that the Cult of Swinson is truly terrifying.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

justcola posted:

And if the conservatives got into power are we meant to wait another five years for the chance at losing again? It is putting the future in the hands of those who won't be living in it, a bequethment of turds. Does an entire country lack the confidence for something better rather than putting up with more poo poo?

Realistically even if the Tories win I can't imagine them being any more stable than the 2017 election returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also even if they win a majority that's only going to make them more unpopular by the next election. Plus it's entirely possible we fight them to another hung parliament which is the most lolworthy outcome.