Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

KillHour posted:

I'm sure this was posted already but lol

Like he's ever used a wrench before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Would it seriously be better at this point for Sondland to just tap out and admit he was in over his head, has no idea how any of this poo poo works, and just wants to go home?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wylie posted:

Hey, EW, a lawyer question: How much does it hurt Castor as a cross-examiner that he has to fill out 45 minutes of time? What's stopping him from just, you know, not running out the clock and saying "I'm done here, I yield back"?

He's charging by the minute.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1197202668189601793

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

1glitch0 posted:

Would it seriously be better at this point for Sondland to just tap out and admit he was in over his head, has no idea how any of this poo poo works, and just wants to go home?

He's done. He can't be effective at his job after today.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Group panic session?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Yes yes.. good. Run like the rats you are.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Group panic session?

when/if the republicans knife trump in the back, it'll happen faster than you think possible

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Passing around cyanide pills in the chamber like it’s April 1945.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wylie posted:

Hey, EW, a lawyer question: How much does it hurt Castor as a cross-examiner that he has to fill out 45 minutes of time? What's stopping him from just, you know, not running out the clock and saying "I'm done here, I yield back"?

he doesn't need to use all 45 minutes but it would be embarrassing not to. that said, a good cross-examination is a lawyer basically giving a speech punctuated by an occasional "yes" from the witness. and here, there's no judge to whack you on the knuckles when you flagrantly violate the rules and actually don't even bother to involve the witness.

but sondland is so damaging and willing to throw everyone under the bus i'd have struggled to fill 45 minutes, but i would have had an outline prepared for this eventuality that was basically attacking his credibility for changing his testimony and the like and just making him answer yes or no questions about lack of specific pieces of evidence where he is given no chance to explain

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Wylie posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but yesterday Nunez and Castor couldn't/wouldn't fill up all their time for the second round of time that Schiff requested, so Nunez yielded back ~15 minutes of unused time and they went straight to the member questions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

oxsnard posted:

when/if the republicans knife trump in the back, it'll happen faster than you think possible

It will never happen. Their base loves Trump WAYYYY more than them.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
republicans have to now be considering that booting trump will stall investigations that implicate more republicans

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

I bet there will be a few calls tonight between the GOP key players asking “so uh... should we do it?” and a lot of “you first” replies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think it would be brought up if one of the right members was on this committee but they arent.

nobody cares. ambassadorships are a vestigial position that sounds important but isn't.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They're scrambling to formulate a new defense plan.
EDIT: They being the reps that left.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I bet there will be a few calls tonight between the GOP key players asking “so uh... should we do it?” and a lot of “you first” replies.

Is this about the cyanide pills or knifing trump?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/wilsonskomal/status/1197201406387556352

pro click

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mcmagic posted:

He's done. He can't be effective at his job after today.

Oh yeah, he's done. I think he just wants to not go to jail at this point.

And rumors of Pompeo resigning during the hearings isn't... great.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

OAquinas posted:

No one is brave enough to ask but they're down for both as long as someone else goes first

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
is them leaving the room genuine panic or are they trying to play up that they think this is a sham

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

I’m good with either, my friend. :unsmigghh:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

oxsnard posted:

republicans have to now be considering that booting trump will stall investigations that implicate more republicans

Yeah I'm kind of curious about this as a tipping point. The Trump administration is so inept that they're likely to implicate GOP MOC's at some point, who are absolutely on the take from Russia (by way of the NRA and others) that this would be an existential threat that they need to have him removed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

nobody cares. ambassadorships are a vestigial position that sounds important but isn't.

I think people do care. Selling off jobs to rich assholes is pretty good for a culture of corruption narrative.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Strange Poon posted:

is them leaving the room genuine panic or are they trying to play up that they think this is a sham

Yes.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

1glitch0 posted:

Oh yeah, he's done. I think he just wants to not go to jail at this point.

And rumors of Pompeo resigning during the hearings isn't... great.

That tweet was from Seth abramson who I understand is not a reliable journalist.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Strange Poon posted:

pompeo decided to resign in the middle of this glorious moment, so I presume the former

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

evilweasel posted:

he doesn't need to use all 45 minutes but it would be embarrassing not to. that said, a good cross-examination is a lawyer basically giving a speech punctuated by an occasional "yes" from the witness. and here, there's no judge to whack you on the knuckles when you flagrantly violate the rules and actually don't even bother to involve the witness.

but sondland is so damaging and willing to throw everyone under the bus i'd have struggled to fill 45 minutes, but i would have had an outline prepared for this eventuality that was basically attacking his credibility for changing his testimony and the like and just making him answer yes or no questions about lack of specific pieces of evidence where he is given no chance to explain

hell yes, I'm glad you are doing this!

It's a great way to understand the nuanced layers of hosed they all must feel right now

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Strange Poon posted:

If they didn't want to participate, they'd not show up for the beginning so there wouldn't be a quorum. They're just leaving to have a private strategy session.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think people do care. Selling off jobs to rich assholes is pretty good for a culture of corruption narrative.

the reality is that our current campaign financing structure creates much, much worse corruption. giving a pointless vestigial job with no policy-making ability that sounds important is among the most innocent things you can give to a large donor.

there's better things to focus on about how our campaign financing structure creates corruption, especially things that are specific to the corrupt people

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

oxsnard posted:

pompeo decided to resign in the middle of this glorious moment, so I presume the former

It's being reported that his resignation has been in the works a while since he's going to run for KS senate.

evilweasel posted:

the reality is that our current campaign financing structure creates much, much worse corruption. giving a pointless vestigial job with no policy-making ability that sounds important is among the most innocent things you can give to a large donor.

there's better things to focus on about how our campaign financing structure creates corruption, especially things that are specific to the corrupt people

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think the Ambassadorship stuff is politically effective. It's such a simple connection between a donation and some rich rear end in a top hat who is clearly unqualified getting a job.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 20, 2019

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Two things will need to happen for the MAGA-chuds to turn on Trump:

1: he get perma-banned from Twitter, making it more difficult for him to reach his base without any filters, and

2: FOX NEWS and the Murdoch apparatus actively start to work against him.

It’s only when these things happen (lol) that the chuds will lose heart. They love Trump because they are repeatedly told to love him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Blurred posted:

That tweet was from Seth abramson who I understand is not a reliable journalist.

There were actual reports yesterday that he is planning to resign to run for Senate

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Blurred posted:

Yeah, but the article is originally from the Independent. It's not necessarily the most reliable story in the world, but it's not Seth Abramson tin foil poo poo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's being reported that his resignation has been in the works a while since he's going to run for KS senate.

ah yeah i saw that, I'm dumb. Still think they're panicking

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mcmagic posted:

It will never happen. Their base loves Trump WAYYYY more than them.

Wasn't Nixon in a stronger position before it tipped over?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Two things will need to happen for the MAGA-chuds to turn on Trump:

1: he get perma-banned from Twitter, making it more difficult for him to reach his base without any filters, and

2: FOX NEWS and the Murdoch apparatus actively start to work against him.

It’s only when these things happen (lol) that the chuds will lose heart.

We need him to remain on twitter after his ouster in order to completely fracture the GOP

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

Wasn't Nixon in a stronger position before it tipped over?

That was an era of way more cross-party voting and far weaker party voter loyalty.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

We need him to remain on twitter after his ouster in order to completely fracture the GOP

As a judge, I’d allow him to tweet from prison as long as his profile picture was the same as it is now except he is photoshopped as behind bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i respect that Goldman clearly wants Morrison's blood if it's at all feasible to get it