Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Addamere posted:

Oh? More Americans have died from lack of access to healthcare since the Bolivian coup than have Bolivians been killed by the coup forces in that time.

That one does it while being decorous and wearing a suit and gladhanding for the cameras while the other does it with a gun does not make one less evil.

different flavors of poo poo, sure. thought I made that pretty clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1197189270961840128

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

brugroffil posted:

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

us democrat-style liberalism is what supports rampant christo-fascism in other countries. that's basic neocolonialism. there is very little daylight between them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Al! posted:

us democrat-style liberalism is what supports rampant christo-fascism in other countries. that's basic neocolonialism. there is very little daylight between them

Yeah neoliberalism is kept alive by exporting violence and undecorous conduct to developing-country proxies. Neoliberal looting in the developed world depends on governments like Bolivia's Christian fascists murdering indigenous people and strip-mining their national resources for the profits of multinational corporations and the sale of cheap goods to global consumers. That's how the system works, one doesn't survive without the other.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liberal Democrat and all-around positive force for workers in America LBJ killed millions of people in Asia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Frijolero posted:

Liberal Democrat and all-around positive force for workers in America LBJ killed millions of people in Asia.

He also supported a coup in Brazil because some mild reforms might have happened otherwise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

brugroffil posted:

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

I mean, Guaido supports those same christo-fascists so...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

brugroffil posted:

yes, there's a difference. neoliberals are polite fascists.

how stringently have the neoliberals in america opposed trumps death camps for immigrants? they can't even commit to getting rid of them in an election season and they've been funding them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

joepinetree posted:

He also supported a coup in Brazil because some mild reforms might have happened otherwise.

we couped some folks

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the topic of big corporations selling their goods to global consumers, did you know a standard impulse-aisle bag of M&Ms candies costs 1 peso (~$0.05) in Mexico? Just something to think about when you consider bringing things up to self-interested Americans: international capitalism is loving you over, too, by making things orders of magnitude more expensive for you just because they know they can get away with it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

libs are polite fascists domestically, one need only look at their overall approval of Dubbya and the Iraq War amongst literally hundreds of other damning examples to see that they are absolutely cool with literally any amount of genocide and slaughter once it isn't within the borders. If Hitler had killed twice the number of people he did but had done it to brown people instead of white ones he'd have a bust in the Oval Office

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

libs are polite fascists domestically, one need only look at their overall approval of Dubbya and the Iraq War amongst literally hundreds of other damning examples to see that they are absolutely cool with literally any amount of genocide and slaughter once it isn't within the borders. If Hitler had killed twice the number of people he did but had done it to brown people instead of white ones he'd have a bust in the Oval Office

basically if FDR hadn't been wildly popular or the business plot had succeeded the us would have joined the axis

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

It took the USA being directly attacked by Japan to pull us into WW2, and we only declared war on Nazi Germany after they honoured their pact with Japan to declare war on us. Had the Reich just said "gently caress Japan" and withheld the declaration of war on us, it's my belief we would have just beaten the Japanese and called it a day. Public opinion really does not give a poo poo about bad things happening to people "over there".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

then as now, the us has far more in common culturally with nazi germany than it ever has with russia, great britain or france

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Addamere posted:

On the topic of big corporations selling their goods to global consumers, did you know a standard impulse-aisle bag of M&Ms candies costs 1 peso (~$0.05) in Mexico? Just something to think about when you consider bringing things up to self-interested Americans: international capitalism is loving you over, too, by making things orders of magnitude more expensive for you just because they know they can get away with it.

What? I live in Mexico and bags of M&Ms are close to 20 pesos ($1usd) last time I checked. Unless you're talking about those dime bags that have like 5 M&Ms in it that are the equivalent of buying a single Hershey's Kiss, which sell for 1-3 pesos ($0.05-0.15usd). Localized pricing is real, but also takes into account taxes, as well as transportation/etc costs within that country. Some other stuff goes the other way, though: a Nintendo Switch costs $9000 pesos ($450usd) at MSRP but is usually about $100-150usd cheaper, and the pro controller is about $100usd. Games can be $60-80usd depending on where you get them, but Steam uses localized pricing, so depending on the publisher, the same game can be about 60% cheaper on launch on Steam in comparison to buying it for a console retail.

Anyways, this was a lovely derail.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Maleh-Vor posted:

What? I live in Mexico and bags of M&Ms are close to 20 pesos ($1usd) last time I checked. Unless you're talking about those dime bags that have like 5 M&Ms in it that are the equivalent of buying a single Hershey's Kiss, which sell for 1-3 pesos ($0.05-0.15usd). Localized pricing is real, but also takes into account taxes, as well as transportation/etc costs within that country. Some other stuff goes the other way, though: a Nintendo Switch costs $9000 pesos ($450usd) at MSRP but is usually about $100-150usd cheaper, and the pro controller is about $100usd. Games can be $60-80usd depending on where you get them, but Steam uses localized pricing, so depending on the publisher, the same game can be about 60% cheaper on launch on Steam in comparison to buying it for a console retail.

Anyways, this was a lovely derail.

white people are raised with the idea that everything is astronomically cheaper in the third world when for the most part it's the opposite

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Addamere posted:

It took the USA being directly attacked by Japan to pull us into WW2, and we only declared war on Nazi Germany after they honoured their pact with Japan to declare war on us. Had the Reich just said "gently caress Japan" and withheld the declaration of war on us, it's my belief we would have just beaten the Japanese and called it a day. Public opinion really does not give a poo poo about bad things happening to people "over there".

the only countries post Evian conference to allow Jewish migration in unlimited numbers (if they could get there first) were in Latin America and China. Hitler based the Nuremberg race purity laws on American policies. the global north have been terrible gringos forever.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Maleh-Vor posted:

What? I live in Mexico

one of my favorites continues to remain that some people think that the Northern/Southern hemispheres have opposite concepts of time

it somewhat brings time cube to life as you try to get someone to explain exactly how four simultaneous days are happening when we've got one sun

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maleh-Vor posted:

What? I live in Mexico

idk, maybe they were on sale? Regular size bag at a random oxxo in Jalisco, yesterday

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Al! posted:

then as now, the us has far more in common culturally with nazi germany than it ever has with russia, great britain or france

season 3 of the man in the high castle sucked so hard for this reason with the whole subplot of "erasing" american history and culture (culminating in blowing up the status of liberty and melting the liberty bell) to secure the future of the american fascist state, as if there were something inherently anti-fascist about american culture. as if hilter didnt specifically praise the native america genocide in his own book.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you see, as you begin to approach the equator, time begins to stall out. when you're in Panama, time comes to a complete standstill,

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Victory Position posted:

you see, as you begin to approach the equator, time begins to stall out. when you're in Panama, time comes to a complete standstill,

having navigated the Panama Canal, i can verify this is true

it is only through powerful sea magicks and the assistance of king neptune that the master helmsman completes this arduous journey

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i dont know about this dog murder story. where was the dog?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NYT: morales’ coca chewing, rabid cur put down by pro-democracy forces

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

season 3 of the man in the high castle sucked so hard for this reason with the whole subplot of "erasing" american history and culture (culminating in blowing up the status of liberty and melting the liberty bell) to secure the future of the american fascist state, as if there were something inherently anti-fascist about american culture. as if hilter didnt specifically praise the native america genocide in his own book.

lol. Did they melt the fasces in Congress too?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how could anyone possibly imagine a nazi takeover at a time when america already had fully legally enforced white supremacy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

¡wow!

¡expresidente morales!

https://twitter.com/outofcontextmex/status/1194726187060387841?s=21

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

how could anyone possibly imagine a nazi takeover at a time when america already had fully legally enforced white supremacy

that is why the Japanese subplots were more interesting, because it turned American racial dynamics on their head and made whites into second class citizens subject to arbitrary treatment, detention, and murder from state authorities.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

not my expresidente

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lmao

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The crowds outside the refinery where yesterday's massacre happened are even larger than they were yesterday. The crowds there are mostly Aymara but today a large group of Quechua arrived from outside the city to reinforce them, a few thousand in all. There's been a bit more shooting by the military but not really at anything in particular, and near as I can tell there have been no deaths so far there today. Wakes have been held for most of yesterday's dead with thousands of people in attendance. It's looking like the total death toll was around a dozen or so, with several more still critically wounded who may not survive. Most of the dead were killed by single gunshots to the head.

There's been heavy clashes in Cochabamba today, still ongoing, along the same streets where the other massacre happened. More shooting. The police seem to have mostly handed over the situation there to civilian far-right groups in plainclothes; there's footage of the police arming them. No reports on deaths yet but there's bound to be a few.

Apparently the interim government has set an agenda for the legislature and is attempting to hold a legislative session, which is just lol. They've still only got a couple senators and maybe a dozen deputies, the rest of the seats are functionally vacant because the people who occupy them are either arrested, missing (which at this point can be safely read as 'dead'), in exile, or in hiding. One of the items on that agenda is scheduling new elections, but who the hell knows what those will look like or when they will be scheduled for or if MAS will even be allowed to run.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Nov 21, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AmirAminiMD/status/1197076027366920192?s=20

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

:popeye:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mister Bates posted:

The crowds outside the refinery where yesterday's massacre happened are even larger than they were yesterday. The crowds there are mostly Aymara but today a large group of Quechua arrived from outside the city to reinforce them, a few thousand in all. There's been a bit more shooting by the military but not really at anything in particular, and near as I can tell there have been no deaths so far there today. Wakes have been held for most of yesterday's dead with thousands of people in attendance. It's looking like the total death toll was around a dozen or so, with several more still critically wounded who may not survive. Most of the dead were killed by single gunshots to the head.

There's been heavy clashes in Cochabamba today, still ongoing, along the same streets where the other massacre happened. More shooting. The police seem to have mostly handed over the situation there to civilian far-right groups in plainclothes; there's footage of the police arming them. No reports on deaths yet but there's bound to be a few.

Apparently the interim government has set an agenda for the legislature and is attempting to hold a legislative session, which is just lol. They've still only got a couple senators and maybe a dozen deputies, the rest of the seats are functionally vacant because the people who occupy them are either arrested, missing (which at this point can be safely read as 'dead'), in exile, or in hiding. One of the items on that agenda is scheduling new elections, but who the hell knows what those will look like or when they will be scheduled for or if MAS will even be allowed to run.
jfc are the people managing to arm themselves or would that just make things worse

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I don't think it would make any difference in the level of violence they're met with, if they're unarmed the police will just lie and claim they were armed anyway. The army claimed that yesterday's massacre was justified because the protesters had large quantities of dynamite and were attempting to blow up the refinery, for example.

That having been said, the crowds that have been clashing with police and army in the cities are still essentially unarmed - 2x4s, bricks, rocks, bottles, the occasional petrol bomb.

I'm sure many of them would happily do so, but guns are not available there with anywhere near the ease they are in the US, and like in the US privately held guns are mostly concentrated in the hands of the wealthy. Rural farmers (who are almost unanimously pro-MAS and have been a major part of some of these protests) often have firearms and we've seen some in these protests here and there, but we're talking single-shot break-open shotguns, bolt-action rifles, maybe the occasional revolver. Pieces of poo poo, basically, not really suited for getting into running gun battles with the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What are people going to do if the military just, keeps shooting people?

I just hope somebody down there has a plan, and I'm sure they do they're just not blasting it out to the world.