Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comstar posted:

Wasn't Nixon in a stronger position before it tipped over?

yes and no

nixon had won in an actual landslide. but back in nixon's day, the parties had not really finished ideological sorting: there were plenty of elected republicans who had more in common ideologically with elected democrats and vice versa. so while nixon was much more popular nation-wide than trump is, he had far less control over the party base and people in congress.

nixon's resignation and the southern strategy are big factors in the parties eventually sorting out into nationwide ideological parties which wasn't really fully complete until the obama years, when the last vestiges of the "southern democrats" got swept out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Is this about the cyanide pills or knifing trump?

They're arguing that or how to defend this poo poo right now, probably while ducking Trump and/or Guiliani phone calls (and maybe conf calling in Hannity)

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol if Trump gets sunk by a medium-big-time real estate guy

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So I missed pretty much everything to this point, is Sondland flipping and throwing Rudy under the bus? And the Republicans have actually fled the room in a panic?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Pompeo's timing on that announcement is vicious if it's true this was already in the works

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So I missed pretty much everything to this point, is Sondland flipping and throwing Rudy under the bus? And the Republicans have actually fled the room in a panic?

yes and yes

also the republicans in the audience slunk away too, not just the members

https://twitter.com/Milbank/status/1197205168275775489

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Comstar posted:

Wasn't Nixon in a stronger position before it tipped over?

Fox News didn't exist then. In fact, Roger Ailes's explicit reason for starting the channel was to prevent another R president from going down like that

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Fox would need to find a new kind of Trump to pitch against Trump in order to get the chuds to turn. Offer up a better version of a Trump against a lovely Trump would be easy. Right now it’s easy for them to label Fox as a fake news MSM because right now there’s no other Mega Chud to cheer for.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

evilweasel posted:

yes and yes

also the republicans in the audience slunk away too, not just the members

https://twitter.com/Milbank/status/1197205168275775489

Oh that's not a good look. Everyone's out coming up with talking points

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

so in this investigation, is “quid pro quo” understood in this case as
1. Trump withholding aid until Zelensky announces his investigation into Burisma
2. Trump refusing to meet with Zelensky until he announces an investigation into Burisma

Is it both of these things? Is 2 considered an actual crime in the letter of the law or is it one of those things that’s obviously shady as gently caress but we can’t really do anything about it?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1197203450284646401?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dave Grool posted:

lol if Trump gets sunk by a medium-big-time real estate guy

I’m almost waiting for the twist that 20 years ago Trump screwed him over somehow so he just bid his time to hurt him the most.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
reminder that Pence's wife was furious at him for the entirety of the campaign and election for associating with trump. She's like 100x smarter than her husband

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andronian posted:

1. Trump withholding aid until Zelensky announces his investigation into Burisma
2. Trump refusing to meet with Zelensky until he announces an investigation into Burisma

Is it both of these things? Is 2 considered an actual crime in the letter of the law or is it one of those things that’s obviously shady as gently caress but we can’t really do anything about it?

IIRC it was also made clear that Burisma means Biden and the investigation didn't need to happen, only to be announced

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Andronian posted:

Its both, though of course the aid was withheld illegally and Congress should have been notified of its withholding and ya know, its aid so its the bigger deal.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm so sad that Ailes didn't live long enough to see his tool of preventing another Nixon betray him.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

are there any votes coming up on the House floor so they can shut down Nunes for a bit?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Have any of the Republicans who left returned yet, or are they going to try out a new strategy of boycotting the hearings?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Andronian posted:

Yes, and yes the second is a crime. The Democratic lawyer dude did a great job of getting Sondland to agree that the meeting was an "official act".

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

NY Times TVIV getting weird

nytimes posted:

Mark MazzettiWashington Correspondent
I’m craving more Parnas and Fruman in these impeachment hearings.

12:39 PM ET
Michael D. ShearCongressional Correspondent
Mark, I think you might want to reorient your priorities in life.

12:40 PM ET

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
SECRET Testimony?!!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What just happened with Sondland saying trump told him, “I want nothing no quid pro quo.” I must’ve missed something because he earlier testified there was absolutely quid pro quo. Now he’s saying trump said no? Did he just flippity flop?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nunes is covered in sweat holy poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"It's not fair that we don't tell the witnesses exactly what we know and don't know before they answer" :cry:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Blind Rasputin posted:

What just happened with Sondland saying trump told him, “I want nothing no quid pro quo.” I must’ve missed something because he earlier testified there was absolutely quid pro quo. Now he’s saying trump said no? Did he just flippity flop?

He's just saying that even though Trump might have said that it was in fact quid pro quo. basically just saying Trump doesn't know what the gently caress qpq is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Andronian posted:

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes, and yes the second is a crime. The Democratic lawyer dude did a great job of getting Sondland to agree that the meeting was an "official act".

I agree with SP but would clarify: Sondland has been very clear it's "Burisma and CrowdStrike/the 2016 Election"

it's important because they can come up with some kind of halfassed defense of Burisma, but the whole thing was also contingent upon their insane, russian-propaganda based conspiracy theory that CrowdStrike has the DNC servers in Ukraine and they kept them their to help Hillary win in the 2016 election

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Up late fantasizing about Dick

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Nunes implying Democrats jerk off to these hearings is a fun take.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trump literally said "I want no quid pro quo" and then asked him to do a quid pro quo in different phrasing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is Nunes explaining to us why that testimony wasn't released? Because they explicitly don't want you to get your story straight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oxsnard posted:

reminder that Pence's wife was furious at him for the entirety of the campaign and election for associating with trump. She's like 100x smarter than her husband

Actually she was dumber than he was because Trump won...

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

oh hell yes nunes is gonna give us some FACTS

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I regret to inform you that the President has difficulty with words, their meanings, telling the truth, and bowel control.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Nunes going all in on WHISTLEBLOWER nonsense.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

In one specific phone call directly with Trump its a direct quote.

His whole testimony is how EVERYONE working for Trump told him it was a quid pro quo.

Edit: He is trying to thread some imaginary needle that it was a quid pro quo on the meeting but not explicitly on aid dollars though. Guess he somehow think that makes it better i guess?

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 20, 2019

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

PlasticAutomaton posted:

He lined up Rudy, Pompao, Trump, Morrison, Mulvany, Hill and more in front of that bus. He also explicitly stated that a "quid prop quo" occurred.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

Trump literally said "I want no quid pro quo" and then asked him to do a quid pro quo in different phrasing.

Trump is a dumb mob boss "oh no, I don't want you to do anything illegal. I'm just saying if this were to happen in this specific way, it would be good for you and if it didn't, it would be bad for you."

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Retro42 posted:

In one specific phone call directly with Trump its a direct quote.

His whole testimony is how EVERYONE working for Trump told him it was a quid pro quo.

Trump is also a mob boss-lite where everything is implied and he never speaks directly about anything so he can have some kind of plausible deniability that only works in movies or on TV.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trump explicitly told Sondland "I want no quid pro quo", in a way that a mob-boss would say "I don't want you to 'commit extortion'! Just let them know something bad might happen if they don't do this thing for us." But Sondland and Mulvaney have also admitted that it's obvious, that at least the meeting, was definitely a quid pro quo, in effect. Republicans are trying to hang their hat on a criminal claiming what they did was not a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oxsnard posted:

I'm afraid 100 times zero is still zero