Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Horizon Burning posted:

the whole plot has been leaked. this was before the most recent trailers and tv spots that confirmed it:

act 1: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d5i0ye/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

act 2: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d7bshe/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

act 3: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/dafpm8/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

so much dumb poo poo. the points of contention at this point are, like, whether the spectre that appears to kylo ren to abruptly turn him good is real han solo or cgi han solo or if it's a cover for hayden christenson.

anyway, it's a literal palpatine's behind it all

This sounds loving terrible and tedious to watch. Let's make a RotJ remake except with characters we barely care about, including bringing back Palpatine out of nowhere with a literal nonsense plot. That Rey twist with Palpatine is the dumbest poo poo too and undermines her as a character. They should have just kept her as no one special because that is so loving stupid.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 20, 2019

Burns
May 10, 2008

Execute Order... 67.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
We don't actually know if any of those leaks are true. The leak poster was saying that there were reshoots involving Adam Driver when he was known to be elsewhere doing other things. Some people have even been saying that the leaks are a mixture of actual leaks and bullshit that Star Wars "news" websites made up to get more clicks and views.

Or at least I hope they're not true. :ohdear:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
True Star Wars fans read the leaks, go to the movie anyway, then complain that it was boring and predicable.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

These leaks are believably boring and on brand

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ema Nymton posted:

We don't actually know if any of those leaks are true. The leak poster was saying that there were reshoots involving Adam Driver when he was known to be elsewhere doing other things. Some people have even been saying that the leaks are a mixture of actual leaks and bullshit that Star Wars "news" websites made up to get more clicks and views.

Or at least I hope they're not true. :ohdear:

The leaks aren't true!

They're impossible!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The leaks make the movie sound like it's gonna be four hours.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Extra Large Marge posted:

True Star Wars fans read the leaks, go to the movie anyway, then complain that it was boring and predicable.

What I hate about modern movies is how they're all out of focus and have people's sillhouettes walking randomly through the frame and have the occasional obnoxiously distracting gambling website ad.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Sydin posted:

The leaks make the movie sound like it's gonna be four hours.

Whatever the runtime, it will still feel like four hours.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Ema Nymton posted:

We don't actually know if any of those leaks are true. The leak poster was saying that there were reshoots

Posted before but... there are often reshoots and multiple endings for tentpole movies now. Hollywood has a weird fascination with the idea that if the plot it leaked then zero people will show up at the theater. It is therefore policy in certain circles to shoot multiple endings to a film regardless of whether you intend to use them. This is no way excuses the fact that this particular Star Wars movie is clearly a cluster.

I think it's clear that what was leaked was a full cut of the film, no matter what damage control they apply.

JJ: "Oh no... that's definitely not our ending at all! Ours is way different! You can still see the movie! ... um can somebody swap reel 1347-b in for 1347-a? And have the art department change the hologram in scene 1202-a to Chewbacca. Oh wait, the test audiences hated 1347-b... use 1347-d and make that hologram puppet Yoda."

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Another super loving dumb part is Kylo Ren's redemption done in the most hackneyed, cheesy way imaginable. Yeah, obviously he was inevitably going to become a good guy and help save everyone, but I thought Rey was finally going to reach out to his heart and turn him... not the ghost of his dad who he murdered empowering him to the light side. So loving lame. It's like something out of a trashy Sci-Fi Channel original. Oh yeah, and Han Solo never had even the vaguest of Force ability, so they're going to do contrived "dude sees a vision while dying" poo poo. Couldn't they pull out Anakin (actually meaningful and thematic, so why didn't they do this????) or Obi-Wan (also thematic and maybe cool if done right) showing him the light, at the very least, if they're going to do cheesy bullshit? :rolleyes:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 20, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rey and Kylo having a force tug of war over an entire loving starship until Rey loses her cool and blows it up with ~force lightning~ cannot possibly come off as dramatic no matter how sophisticated the CGI is. Like, it's going to be Leia flying through space levels of goofy.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Big problem I'm having with these movies is I feel like most characters don't really have any arc and the way the world works seems weird? Like how did the first order get so powerful and build up again? What exactly is the Arc for Finn, Poe etc most characters outside of Rey and Kylo are just *there*. In the original trilogy I felt like Han, Leia, Luke and even Vader progressed and had purpose of a sort? That might just be nostaaaalgia though.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Haven't seen The Last Jedi and won't watch The Rise of Skywalker.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blackfyre posted:

Big problem I'm having with these movies is I feel like most characters don't really have any arc and the way the world works seems weird? Like how did the first order get so powerful and build up again? What exactly is the Arc for Finn, Poe etc most characters outside of Rey and Kylo are just *there*. In the original trilogy I felt like Han, Leia, Luke and even Vader progressed and had purpose of a sort? That might just be nostaaaalgia though.

Finn has an arc in TFA. He starts out a child soldier, he freaks out in what’s apparently his first fight, he starts running madly for his life, but eventually realizes that that’s no way to live and he needs to fight for what’s right. He gets his rear end kicked when he tries, but that’s fine and in keeping with his general ineptitude. It’s a decent arc, one of the stronger points in a bad movie.

Then TLJ just repeats this exact arc but worse and with more buffoonery.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blackfyre posted:

World building is sooooo 90's.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Salty Josh posted:

Haven't seen The Last Jedi and won't watch The Rise of Skywalker.

solid username/post combo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Last Jedi is the 4th best star war.

5>4>3>8>R1>7>3>Solo>2>1

I have spoken

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

Finn has an arc in TFA. He starts out a child soldier, he freaks out in what’s apparently his first fight, he starts running madly for his life, but eventually realizes that that’s no way to live and he needs to fight for what’s right. He gets his rear end kicked when he tries, but that’s fine and in keeping with his general ineptitude. It’s a decent arc, one of the stronger points in a bad movie.

Then TLJ just repeats this exact arc but worse and with more buffoonery.

I worked with a black gentleman who had an understandable distaste for the first leading black man in a star war having "fear and running away" as a major component of his characterization after TFA came out. I granted that I understood but saw basically the arc you describe and that I felt it left him in a good place where he overcame it and showed badass physical and moral courage and looked forward to his heroism in the next picture.

After what TLJ did with the character I feel like I owe him an apology with the muddled reset button they pressed on that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Horizon Burning posted:

the whole plot has been leaked. this was before the most recent trailers and tv spots that confirmed it:

act 1: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d5i0ye/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

act 2: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d7bshe/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

act 3: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/dafpm8/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

so much dumb poo poo. the points of contention at this point are, like, whether the spectre that appears to kylo ren to abruptly turn him good is real han solo or cgi han solo or if it's a cover for hayden christenson.

anyway, it's a literal palpatine's behind it all

lmao this stuff. Like Jesus Christ can this really be???

quote:

Palpatine also reveals that he has been amassing an armada of Star Destroyers equipped with Death Star tech, each one capable of destroying a planet on its own. Generals Hux and Pryde are tasked with rounding up children in large numbers to train and staff his armada.

quote:

As the ship takes off, Rey shifts her attention from Kylo to her captured friend and begins to use the Force to stop the transport and pull it back to the ground. Kylo attempts to counteract this by pushing the ship away. Control over the ship becomes a battle between Kylo and Rey, much like their battle for Anakin’s lightsaber in TLJ. Kylo begins to gain the upper hand which angers Rey. In her frustration, lightning shoots from her hand, destroying the the transport ship and killing all its passengers.

quote:

Poe tracks down an old contact of his, Zorri Bliss, who brings them to a small creature named Babbu Frik (again, spelling not confirmed) to hack 3PO’s programming to read the Sith language on the dagger. Frik tells everyone that he can unlock the message to be read, but in doing so C-3PO’s memory will be wiped. Still reeling from the loss of Chewbacca, the heroes argue about finding another way to get the job done, but in an act of self sacrifice C-3PO voluntarily consent to the modifications, knowing that (for all intents and purposes) the droid we’ve all known for years will essentially die.

quote:

As Kylo makes his way down to the planet, Zorri helps the Resistance escape by employing the use of something described to me as a “First Order passage device”, something that transmits a signal recognized as friendly to the First Order allowing the ship to pass uninterrupted. As our heroes make their escape, we see that Palpatine’s orders to Hux and Pryde are being carried out as children are being rounded up by soldiers of the First Order.

quote:

The device works as advertised and their ship lands without question. On board the Star Destroyer, the droids log on to the ship’s computer network to locate the Falcon, but in the process they discover that Chewbacca is still alive! He was on a different prisoner transport ship the entire time.

quote:

Rey has now made the decision to follow the example set by Luke and exile herself on the island where the Jedi began. Rey scuttles the ship she stole from Kylo and throws the repaired lightsaber originally constructed by Anakin Skywalker in after it. A ghostly hand snatches the lightsaber out of thin air as it's being thrown. It's Luke Skywalker.

quote:

The Resistance arrives and they are confronted with hundreds of Palpatine’s Sith Star Destroyers. Their goal is to take out the flagship of the destroyers, where General Pryde is located. Taking out the flagship will supposedly sever communications with the rest of the fleet and prevent them from being able to navigate the perils of the Unknown Regions. At one point during the battle Finn and Jannah (joined by others, but exactly who is not clear to me right now) land on Pryde’s flagship to destroy it. They recognize this as essentially a suicide mission but Finn and Jannah in particular see the price they may have to pay as wort it to prevent more children from being abducted like they once were. One of my sources described it to me like a D-Day type mission for the Resistence where they attempt to land on to a moving Star Destroyer amidst the battle scene.

quote:

Rey grabs both Anakin’s and Leia’s lightsabers and Palpatine turns his wrath on her. It’s lightsaber vs. lightning at this point and when it seems like all hope is lost for Rey, the spectors of Luke and Leia come to her aid. They jointly work toward overpowering the Emperor, deflecting his lightning back toward himself, killing him and unleashing an explosion powerful enough to make the arena start to crumble around them. Darth Sideous, the last of the Sith Lords, is finally dead.

Like holy poo poo tell me it's true. Tell me it's all true, because if so this will be a glorious poo poo show the likes of which we haven't seen in years.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Owlbear Camus posted:

I worked with a black gentleman who had an understandable distaste for the first leading black man in a star war having "fear and running away" as a major component of his characterization after TFA came out.

My bff and his kids just generally cashed out based on the "Droid, please!" scene. (And the ten minutes that lasted forever at the end of the film, to be fair.)

Lots of Imperials have a British accent. I still don't understand why Boyega had to change his to play Finn.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

^ I only skimmed these and avoided the final ones because i would at least like the end to be a surprise but lol it sounds like Rey says fucks the resistance and exiles herself to Luke Skywalker's island and seemingly wants to abandon being a Jedi after what, A year of being one? Jeez Millennials are so lazy right guys?

Empty Sandwich posted:

My bff and his kids just generally cashed out based on the "Droid, please!" scene. (And the ten minutes that lasted forever at the end of the film, to be fair.)

Lots of Imperials have a British accent. I still don't understand why Boyega had to change his to play Finn.

Don't Imperial Officers tend to have British accents and the Stormtroopers tend to be American? I always took that as showing the class divide where the officers are obviously picked from well off planets with British accents like Coruscant and the Stormtroopers are just fodder from back water places. In that sense it makes sense and is a reason I could see them asking him to change his accent? Or maybe him being British would clash too much with Rey's accent?

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 20, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Like holy poo poo tell me it's true. Tell me it's all true, because if so this will be a glorious poo poo show the likes of which we haven't seen in years.

I hope it's true

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Just Chamber posted:

Don't Imperial Officers tend to have British accents and the Stormtroopers tend to be American?

I didn't think about that. Good point.

Just Chamber posted:

Or maybe him being British would clash too much with Rey's accent?

But I assumed it was this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
oi someone nicked me lightsaber

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

'at laser blades prohibited lad, ye're goin ta star gaol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

Wow I did not pick up on this and it's going to bother me forever. The only meager defense I can offer is that the accents are coding the officers as aristocracy and the troopers as working class (daniel craig also uses an American accent in his cameo).

E: F,b

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There's a noticeable number of American officers (I think more so in ANH than in Empire off the top of my head), while all the storm troopers are American. A thing to consider is that the movies were mostly shot in England and I think that's where most of the casting outside of the big parts was done. So while it was definitely deliberately done to have the bad guys be English (while most of the rebels are American), it's not 100% consistent and was likely also to a large extent driven by circumstance of location, I would also guess that pretty much all the stormtroopers were just played by extras, not actors, and all the lines we hear them speak were added post-filming (also to make them more legible on account of the helmets).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

its all true.

all of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait for spirit Goku Luke and Leia helping Gohan Rey kamehameha deflect lightning to defeat Perfect Cell Palpatine.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burns posted:

Execute Order... 67.
Emperor, we require more genetic material for your clone bodies.

Yesssssss.... execute order...... 69!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why does Rey speak the queen’s English anyway? She’s a yokel who grew up in a dump.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

Why does Rey speak the queen’s English anyway? She’s a yokel who grew up in a dump.

dumb fanwank:

she is an isolated loner who lives in a gutted AT-AT and almost everything she owns is scavenged from star destroyers, so out of boredom she watched a lot of "getting to know your e-11 blaster rifle," "battlefield medicine, the bacta way" and "introduction to imperial customs and courtesies: knowing how many little pill holder things someone has before you salute them" holotapes narrated by stuffy imperial colonels and picked up the accent that way

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Palpatine is going to destroy every planet except Tatooine. All future movies will be filmed on set in the Emirates.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

Nonchalantly doing things that she has no background in is Rey's specialty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it turns out that Rey is Princess Di and Dodi Fayed's hidden lovechild

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

people keep saying it's an Ep6 remake but it feels more like an Ep3 remake, some of these scenes holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Rey watched one Received Pronunciation video and mastered it instantly