Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hmm, I'm about half-way through season 3 right now. I'm definitely racing through it! But I'm not sure I like the direction this is headed. I think the Vorlon-angel thing is pretty weak and looks goofy as hell. Marcus is an obnoxious Jedi (though at least they all call him out on that), and I'm just not into all the religious stuff .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did the books ever expand on how the Centauri tried to claim that Earth was just a long lost Centauri colony? Because we know the evolutionary history of humanity, and we are definitely descended from other Earth animals. Nobody could have believed the Centauri.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Did the books ever expand on how the Centauri tried to claim that Earth was just a long lost Centauri colony? Because we know the evolutionary history of humanity, and we are definitely descended from other Earth animals. Nobody could have believed the Centauri.

In B5 universe, the entire planet earth's education system has the religious wrong answer exemption so no one believes in evolution anymore.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Delthalaz posted:

Hmm, I'm about half-way through season 3 right now. I'm definitely racing through it! But I'm not sure I like the direction this is headed. I think the Vorlon-angel thing is pretty weak and looks goofy as hell. Marcus is an obnoxious Jedi (though at least they all call him out on that), and I'm just not into all the religious stuff .

:hmmyes:

Keep going.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Delthalaz posted:

Your emotions and thoughts are currently right on track for maximum enjoyment of the series.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Torrannor posted:

I mean...I imagine that most people didn't really believe it, but I can also imagine that a first contact situation where the aliens look outwardly EXACTLY like humans (at least with their clothes on...) would cause a lot of people to start questioning things.

There are people NOW that still don't believe in evolution one iota, I imagine in 100-ish years there still will be those kinds of people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...I imagine that most people didn't really believe it, but I can also imagine that a first contact situation where the aliens look outwardly EXACTLY like humans (at least with their clothes on...) would cause a lot of people to start questioning things.

There are people NOW that still don't believe in evolution one iota, I imagine in 100-ish years there still will be those kinds of people.

It is amusing that the myth lasted long enough to perpetuate, but Earthgov still managed to get hold of Centauri DNA before they did an X-ray.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jedit posted:

It is amusing that the myth lasted long enough to perpetuate, but Earthgov still managed to get hold of Centauri DNA before they did an X-ray.

Their ambassadors just leave it lying around everywhere.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jedit posted:

EarthGov Medical Rep: "We would love the chance to do a basic examination, to learn more about you and our shared heritage."
Centauri Ambassador: "Hmmmmmno. No, I don't think so."

EGMR, to diplomatic staff: "I don't know, just get a sample somehow. Give him a drink and preserve the glass? Hair samp—no, that's gotta be a wig, no way that's real hair ..."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

G’kar was always careless about leaving his DNA all around.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Just started a rewatch and I forgot how they bring up Londo's death in the literal first episode. Also that they're (Sinclair) so aggressive towards the Narn and supportive of the Centauri. Doing s1e3 tonight. Probably won't do a post along tho.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The show forgets about it later, but the Narn were in the middle of a really aggressive expansion period and were very literally antagonizing the Centauri. G'kar was a violent and cruel man. The Centauri Republic was in a frail, fading state, and could barely afford the upkeep for what they had left, to the point of endangering the rest of the galaxy with some of their cost-cutting. Right before Londo did the thing, the Narn had set up an aggressive posture on the border in direct contradiction to former treaties, and it's not very hard to imagine a war going the other way.

They really should've brought back Londo's nephew at some point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The show forgets about it later, but the Narn were in the middle of a really aggressive expansion period and were very literally antagonizing the Centauri. G'kar was a violent and cruel man. The Centauri Republic was in a frail, fading state, and could barely afford the upkeep for what they had left, to the point of endangering the rest of the galaxy with some of their cost-cutting. Right before Londo did the thing, the Narn had set up an aggressive posture on the border in direct contradiction to former treaties, and it's not very hard to imagine a war going the other way.

They really should've brought back Londo's nephew at some point.

The show definitely doesn't forget. Recall what the other Narn want from G'kar in the “What have I endured?” scene. Still plenty of aggressive Narn left, they just lack the capacity to act.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So are we supposed to assume Franklin dumped his girlfriend as soon as he found out she was dying and just kept on with his narcissistic walkabout

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Delthalaz posted:

So are we supposed to assume Franklin dumped his girlfriend as soon as he found out she was dying and just kept on with his narcissistic walkabout

Yeah, he's a real rear end. One of my least favorite characters in B5. He rarely does big sweeping Bad poo poo on screen but he's just a steady, quiet drip feed of terrible, self-centered decisions. He's Londo without the redemption arc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

She does die shortly afterward as Marcus finds Franklin’s autopsy notes when he’s searching for ways to save Ivanava.

I’m half way through Season 5 and Garibaldi hasn’t mentioned or shown any indication that he’s still married to Lys

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

She does die shortly afterward as Marcus finds Franklin’s autopsy notes when he’s searching for ways to save Ivanava.

I’m half way through Season 5 and Garibaldi hasn’t mentioned or shown any indication that he’s still married to Lys

Re: Franklin in S3, that was post-walkabout

Re: S5, She turns up

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just started Day of the Dead, this is a very unsettling change of pace. Surprised at the writing given the guest writer... Hoping this improves

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Zoot zoot!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not sure what I just watched

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TraderStav posted:

Not sure what I just watched

It’s a show called Babylon 5

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You might just egg me on to rewatch Season 5. I stopped my last rewatch at the end of 4.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I really enjoy the idea that since popular comedy tends to be very of-the-moment, comedy from 250 years hence will be incomprehensible.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vavrek posted:

I really enjoy the idea that since popular comedy tends to be very of-the-moment, comedy from 250 years hence will be incomprehensible.

Do you think you could explain today's humor to someone from the '90s?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vavrek posted:

Zoot zoot!

Lol that's so good

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd have to know what today's humor is, first.

Depending on which of the comedy podcasts I listen to we're talking about, maybe. (Podcasts are easy to explain.)

Internet meme culture, though? I can't explain that to someone in 2019, much less 1998.

sebmojo posted:

Lol that's so good
Right?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Those two guys just crack me up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vavrek posted:

Something I appreciated is that the show recognises that they're fundamentally performers doing a bit, and got to be pretty intelligent and sincere people when they were "off". Also that different races have their own senses of humour.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I wonder how much that was part of the script before Penn & Teller were cast. JMS said the only real change was the addition of The Machine, so that Teller could stay mute, but "performers doing a bit who are intelligent and sincere when they're 'off'" sounds just like P&T.

Or it could be that Gaiman's a really good character writer and understood how to make compelling and realistic characters, and came up with that dynamic independently.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zoot zoot is just future yeet

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Most of what I remember from that episode is that The West Wing basically had the exact same script when they had Pen and Teller on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It gets pretty dark, there's a lot of doom and gloom about the world right now that fosters a some real black comedy. A lot of current meme humor has developed beyond the simple into weird postmodern denunciations against the idea of having something worth saying, either on purpose or by accident through posting dumb stuff, which itself is kinda dark. We're still riding some of the overflow of irony back in the 2000s, so it's hard for anything to be earnest.

Of course, there's also a budding rebellion against all that called Hopepunk, but I'm not sure how much of that counts as humor.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

This is the first I've heard of it, but the very concept of "hopepunk" is comedic in its own right.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

This is the first I've heard of it, but the very concept of "hopepunk" is comedic in its own right.

“Positive punk” was a thing as far back as the 80s.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Midjack posted:

“Positive punk” was a thing as far back as the 80s.

Old things are not funny, check.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Can we please put slapping "punk" on the end of things to rest because it's loving hollow and pointless.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I would like to formally request that Hollowpunk be a thing.

However, as a concession to the legitimacy of The Unlife Aquatic's point, it shall be a punk subgenre focused on the aesthetics of Hollow Knight.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I'm gonna invent punkpunk.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
The year, is 2019, the place, is Babylpunk 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
It's our last, best hope for punk (to die).