Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This game lets you change the difficulty any time, except for the final mission. I've had a blast, but I'm ready to just see the end now

(and this fight and responses ITT have assured me the Soulsboune/Sekiro is NOT for me haha. Watching the ending on YouTube)

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
They hosed Debra Wilson's poo poo up man. She doesn't even look human in this game, just eyeballs on a big fukken head lol. They super exaggerated her eyes.

I talked mad poo poo about this game and then bought it on steam. It was really fun and cool but i returned it because lol @ $60 on a 20 hour game. Also from what I read the exploration only really unlocks new colors for your poncho.

It pretty much is star wars souls as far as combat goes, so that is a plus. I will probly get it if it goes to $20.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SirSamVimes posted:

Just had the second fight with Second Sister and good lord the saber duels in this game are fantastic. Absolute peak so far, gameplay-wise.

Also great story-wise, because Second Sister's VA is just having the absolute time of their life every time they open their mouth and I love it.

edit: Is she going to poo poo-talk me for this entire tomb/dungeon? Please tell me she is. :allears:

Yeeeeeep!

They do a lot to spice up what is basically always you Zelda/Darksidering through a place, while keeping it in story.

gently caress the haters, I enjoyed the plot and the characters overall immensely.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

vandalism posted:

They hosed Debra Wilson's poo poo up man. She doesn't even look human in this game, just eyeballs on a big fukken head lol. They super exaggerated her eyes.

I talked mad poo poo about this game and then bought it on steam. It was really fun and cool but i returned it because lol @ $60 on a 20 hour game. Also from what I read the exploration only really unlocks new colors for your poncho.

It pretty much is star wars souls as far as combat goes, so that is a plus. I will probly get it if it goes to $20.

In lieu of Steam it seems like playing the game on one month of Origin Premier is often recommended, given how short it is.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am not seeing why people are comparing this to Sekiro, really.

While Sekiro was the easiest of the Souls, it was still a super tight, mechanically strong, mistake punishing monster. More important than the difficulty is how well realised the combat is, how fluid and responsive it is.

I like this game, it's fun, but it's nothing like Sekiro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game is only $50 at Wal Mart (60 for deluxe), if you're unlucky enough to need to go there and wanted to pick this up

A few hours in and it's actually better than expected. And it's really pathetic that we could have had games like this for the past 6 years if EA wanted

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

I am not seeing why people are comparing this to Sekiro, really.

While Sekiro was the easiest of the Souls

Really? I haven't even gone near it after getting scarred by Nioh, but if it can be relatively easy I might try it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The exploration is so Metroid Prime, even the map is the same, with a bit of that Souls feeling of not knowing if you're on the main path or a side path

And BT is the best robbit, he is my friend

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got this via a month of Origin Premier so I'm kinda on a time-limit. How far through the game is (planet name spoiler) Ilum?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Pierson posted:

I got this via a month of Origin Premier so I'm kinda on a time-limit. How far through the game is (planet name spoiler) Ilum?

Very much near the end of the game. Like... 85% or 90% through maybe?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks man! Guess not sot much of a time-limit as I thought. Guess I'll use the rest of my premier month to check out Fifa or something.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Really? I haven't even gone near it after getting scarred by Nioh, but if it can be relatively easy I might try it out.

Sekiro is by no means easy, but it's easier than the 3 Dark Souls games and BloodBorne. It's still tough, much tougher than this game. But if you're looking for an entry point for a Souls game, yeah, Sekiro is probably the one for you. Not to mention Sekiro bosses are just the best fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is getting underwater boxes an unlocked skill? I found some on Zeffo that I can't access.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Soonmot posted:

Is getting underwater boxes an unlocked skill? I found some on Zeffo that I can't access.

I assume you have the breather so you can go underwater.

I ran into a glitch where I couldn't slice or open boxes. Kill game and re-launch it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finished this game yesterday! Got it though the Origin sub and it was extremely worth it (would be much less worth for 60€ due to how short it is)

I actually loved every moment of it? I still can't believe I enjoyed a loving Star Wars EA game, but it was super good and well done. The story was alright, the animation and voice acting good, the action super fun. Definitely the best star wars experience since Rogue One (and Kotor)

Edit: I also think that the EA sub is the absolute best way to get these kind of games across. High quality but short games (that don't overstay their welcome). It's my first time with the Origin sub and I really have zero complaints. I still don't understand this. What is going on.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 20, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I assume you have the breather so you can go underwater.

I ran into a glitch where I couldn't slice or open boxes. Kill game and re-launch it.

NOPE!

Just noticed some interact points underwater that woulldn't trigger

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Funso Banjo posted:

Sekiro is by no means easy, but it's easier than the 3 Dark Souls games and BloodBorne. It's still tough, much tougher than this game. But if you're looking for an entry point for a Souls game, yeah, Sekiro is probably the one for you. Not to mention Sekiro bosses are just the best fun.

I think it's that Sekiro is more of an action game compared to the Souls. There's no stamina meter, easy parries. It's much more aggressive than the souls games, where most of the time you're dodging and poking.

If you enjoy the lightsaber vs lightsaber combat in fallen order you owe it to yourself to play Sekiro.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Soonmot posted:

You’ll get a skill later on, yes.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

It's Sekiro in the sense that you have to break an enemy's stamina down so you can parry them and pull off a finisher move. Plus some of the traversal is a lot more Sekiro like than any of the souls games that have it so you cant even mantle a 2 foot ledge. Plus you're also unlocking abilities and finding upgrades.

Also I found Sekiro a lot harder in terms of precision etc. Dark Souls is fairly easy once you realise you just need patience, Sekiro is about reflexes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They also feel "fairer" in a way, you can see where you hosed up your parry or dodge because because everythign is reasonably consistent. This game feels very random with parry and dodge timing sometimes leading to "what happened" reactions when you die instead of "welp missed that flash/sound/whatever"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

hobbesmaster posted:

They also feel "fairer" in a way, you can see where you hosed up your parry or dodge because because everythign is reasonably consistent. This game feels very random with parry and dodge timing sometimes leading to "what happened" reactions when you die instead of "welp missed that flash/sound/whatever"

Yeah the combat is honestly not good. It's not bad because the game gives you enough crutches to work around it on everything but the hardest difficulty, but they needed to get a designer from Platinum or Capcom's DMC team in their office to help them out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Considering this is their first foray into third person from making ONLY FPSes, it's serviceable. Here's hoping they learn some things and maybe patch in the first DLC or just get more polish on the sequel.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

On Dathomir's final boss and sometimes the unblockables he does don't make sense to me with regards to tracking. Am I supposed to dodge later? Earlier? Would just a quickstep work at the right time? Sometimes it feels like he tracks ridiculously far from a roll. And I'll admit most of his poo poo are learnable patterns so far but unblockable tracking visually rather far away is actually aggravating.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pierson posted:

Thanks man! Guess not sot much of a time-limit as I thought. Guess I'll use the rest of my premier month to check out Fifa or something.

play respawn's other game, titanfall 2, if u havent. really great but short singleplayer campaign there

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Another upgrade question:

Is there a force jump? I'm back on Bogano after unlocking the force pull ability. I'm in the Bogdo Sinkhole region, the one with three holes on the upper level that go down into the pit with the boss Monster/Bounty Hunters and a chest you slice. There are a couple chests on platforms that seem JUST out of jumping distance and I'm not seeing any ropes or wall runs. One has some vines, but their starting point seems to be in an area I can't get to.

EDIT: \/\/\/Awesome, thanks

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Another upgrade question:

Is there a force jump? I'm back on Bogano after unlocking the force pull ability. I'm in the Bogdo Sinkhole region, the one with three holes on the upper level that go down into the pit with the boss Monster/Bounty Hunters and a chest you slice. There are a couple chests on platforms that seem JUST out of jumping distance and I'm not seeing any ropes or wall runs. One has some vines, but their starting point seems to be in an area I can't get to.

Yes there is a jump upgrade.

Its really annoying that some things have the red marker for "you can't get there yet" and others have nothing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes there is a jump upgrade.

Its really annoying that some things have the red marker for "you can't get there yet" and others have nothing.

I also noticed that once you DO get the double jump some areas on Bogano get the yellow "unexplored area here" walls on the map. Before you get it, no sign you can't make the jump until you try and wind up having to backtrack.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

It's a shame the backtracking is so unrewarding in this game. Ah yes i'll go revisit a planet i dont need to and slog though most of the map just so I cant can unlock a beige skin for my poncho or a force echo with 3 lines of text.

edit: can't = can

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 20, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm 100% with the cosmetic only upgrades. I just wish they were more varied than different poncho colors. Give different outfits! And more kyber crystals!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Just Chamber posted:

It's a shame the backtracking is so unrewarding in this game. Ah yes i'll go revisit a planet i dont need to and slog though most of the map just so I cant unlock a beige skin for my poncho or a force echo with 3 lines of text.

*screen goes gray and bright*

Cal: this pot belonged to a worshiper that left it here hastily because they had to take an big dump.

*press Options button*

Galactopedia: 12. A pot that belonged to a Zeffo worshiper. It was left here hastily because they had to take a big dump.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

*screen goes gray and bright*

Cal: this pot belonged to a worshiper that left it here hastily because they had to take an big dump.

*press Options button*

Galactopedia: 12. A pot that belonged to a Zeffo worshiper. It was left here hastily because they had to take a big dump.

beep boop boowee

Cal: you’re right BD, i wouldn’t take a dump here either

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Soonmot posted:

I'm 100% with the cosmetic only upgrades. I just wish they were more varied than different poncho colors. Give different outfits! And more kyber crystals!

The concept art for this game had some really really cool looking outfits for Cal, like different helmets, fur jackets etc and it was all dropped for that ugly rear end poncho that I never wore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Just Chamber posted:

I wondered that and watched an interview with her to see for myself, they're nowhere near that level, it was a little distracting.

yeah, irl she looks normal. in this game she looks like marge Simpson. it sucks because i like her character and the actress can sell anything.

i like the story but i feel like alot of conective stuff was left on the cutting room floor. i still kinda feel like this game would have been better as a uncharted/titanfall 2 type linear levels with the combat system that it has now. like i just wish the world changed up a little. idk.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Grabbed a screenshot of the art book showing some of the looks we could have got for Cal, i mean some are pretty silly looking but it shows the level of customization we could have had:

Honestly that half cape looks miles better than the poncho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There is something to be said for cutting the project down to a manageable size instead of the disastrous half decade long projects at :bioware:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

There is something to be said for cutting the project down to a manageable size instead of the disastrous half decade long projects at :bioware:

Yesss, though i think this was more the case of oh poo poo EA/ Disney says we need to get this out the door before the film go go. And it's not to say what we got was bad, because it's a good game, it's just there are little things that would have bumped it from good to great imo. And that's always the biggest disappointment when you have something that's so close to greatness rather than just being trash to begin with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Yesss, though i think this was more the case of oh poo poo EA/ Disney says we need to get this out the door before the film go go. And it's not to say what we got was bad, because it's a good game, it's just there are little things that would have bumped it from good to great imo. And that's always the biggest disappointment when you have something that's so close to greatness rather than just being trash to begin with.

Disney films have set planned releases quite a way in advance, the project managers at respawn knew when they started the project when the new star wars movie was coming out and based on that when their game is going to be kicked out the door come hell or high water. So being good project managers they cut things until they can make that time frame work.

I'm curious if there was an inventory, drop or upgrade or some other system that was cut leaving only the cosmetics in the crates out in the world. The crates feel kinda weird otherwise.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Disney films have set planned releases quite a way in advance, the project managers at respawn knew when they started the project when the new star wars movie was coming out and based on that when their game is going to be kicked out the door come hell or high water. So being good project managers they cut things until they can make that time frame work.

I'm curious if there was an inventory, drop or upgrade or some other system that was cut leaving only the cosmetics in the crates out in the world. The crates feel kinda weird otherwise.

Oh i mean yes there were definitely things cut like the outfits etc, maybe other systems with the crates etc as you said, which ok fair if there's not enough time, you have to work with what time you're given. But also the game does feel unpolished in spots, like the technical issues, some of the melee feels clunky at times, underwhelming rewards for exploration, voice lines not syncing to mouths etc, stuff like that that does seem to indicate the team did need more time to work on the things that were actually included in the game. I mean we dont know when they were given the project and if that was enough time for such a AAA game and they weren't crunching right up to the last minute. I hope not because crunch in this industry is a big problem. But it's had lower review scores than it might have simply because it has that feeling of a game that needed 6 more months of development which is a quote I've heard from both Waypoint and Giant Bomb in their critique. I mean it's speculation but I imagine the devs know this and would have liked to have had a few more months but that wasn't an option.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 20, 2019

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

play respawn's other game, titanfall 2, if u havent. really great but short singleplayer campaign there
I adore TF2, it's the best.

Finished it off and I think the game was a solid 8/10. My biggest complaint was how incredibly low-energy the entire finale level and ending felt. Rather than be a weird hybrid of Sekiro and Uncharted I think they should picked one and went full-speed in that direction because the combat wasn't as good as Sekiro and the cinematic platforming didn't feel as cinematic or exciting as Uncharted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Grabbed a screenshot of the art book showing some of the looks we could have got for Cal, i mean some are pretty silly looking but it shows the level of customization we could have had:

Honestly that half cape looks miles better than the poncho

Giving Saw a cape and not the player was definitely a mistake.