Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donnerberg posted:

I can't speak for other posters, but it isn't about talent to me. It's about what's come out of Valve. They help indies with fantastic ideas get their project out under the Valve name, and they hit with sequels that stay close to what came before. A VR Half-Life sequel is to my understanding neither of those two things, so I liken it to Artifact and Condition Zero until we get an indication otherwise.

Half Life 2 doesn't fit that criteria either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

stev posted:

Half Life 2 doesn't fit that criteria either though.

Was is that different from the first? I haven't played it in ages, and video games might as well have been magic back then, so when you say that, I don't trust my memory.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donnerberg posted:

Was is that different from the first? I haven't played it in ages, and video games might as well have been magic back then, so when you say that, I don't trust my memory.

Yeah I'd say it was pretty different given its massive focus on physics etc.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, fair enough. That was a gamble. Imagine if we didn't enjoy stacking boxes?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, fair enough. That was a gamble. Imagine if we didn't enjoy stacking boxes?
Imagine parallel universe Ravenholm where the Gravity Gun isn't fun, nobody would ever have beaten the game

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
HL1 was still a substantial step forward in interactivity for FPSes IIRC. E.g. crates that didn't exist in a simple binary state of [intact]/[destroyed], but could instead be partially destroyed, breaking off pieces at a time with your crowbar

This HN comment explains it well: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21574810

quote:

Half-Life 1’s “thing” is sort of like Breath of the Wild’s “thing”: every object in the game has physical attributes, and these physical attributes can cause the sim to emit signals from particular objects that interact with other sim objects through general interfaces (rather than only interacting with specific “compatible” objects), with the results differing depending on source attributes, target attributes, and the distance between the source and target; and with the same attribute of the target often taking on a weighted-average of the sum of the input signals it’s been receiving lately.

When an HL1 object is “on fire”, for example, it’s emitting “infrared-radiation particles” as hitscan shots off of a point-source at its center. If these hit something, the physics sim checks the “on fire” object’s “hotness” attribute, and its distance from the target it hit, and from these computes a “heat impulse” that should be given to the target, which may or may not be enough to set the target “on fire.” Different things burn with more or less “hotness”, and for more or less time before burning out, depending on the material they’re made of. Explosive barrels don’t have any special code—they’re just “on fire” for a very hot, very short time (but they’re also “concussive”, which is a separate instantiation of this same logic.) The Crossbow’s alternate fire just slides a physical object that’s intensely “on fire” through the scene at high speed. Etc.

This system continues into HL2 as well. Pheropod/bugbait objects are just a copy of this system, where “on fire” is instead “acts as ally”, and antlions can be temporarily or permanently caught “acts as ally” by getting hit by a strong enough dose of pheropod radiative signalling.

This system is basically why HL1 and HL2 play the way they do: rather than only being able to kill things with weapon-objects programmed to emit “kill” signals toward enemies, you can kill things with pretty much any object, in a variety of ways, as enemies are physical-sim objects that can die for physical-sim reasons. And it’s very easy to make a useful new object in these engines, as you can just model something, give it some interesting physical attributes, and plop it into a level. The sim will then take care of making it useful.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Imagine parallel universe Ravenholm where the Gravity Gun isn't fun, nobody would ever have beaten the game

First time I went through ravenholm I didn't realize you were supposed to use the gravity gun, so I was scraping by the whole time since there's barely any ammo in that place.
Coupled with the fact that I was like 12 years old and thought the zombies were really scary, it really enhanced the experience for me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mymla posted:

First time I went through ravenholm I didn't realize you were supposed to use the gravity gun, so I was scraping by the whole time since there's barely any ammo in that place.
Coupled with the fact that I was like 12 years old and thought the zombies were really scary, it really enhanced the experience for me.

How the hell did you get through the headcrab room at the bottom of the mineshaft

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cicero posted:

HL1 was still a substantial step forward in interactivity for FPSes IIRC. E.g. crates that didn't exist in a simple binary state of [intact]/[destroyed], but could instead be partially destroyed, breaking off pieces at a time with your crowbar

Another big thing that HL1 was praised for was the way it handled loading... the game would pause and load as you walked through hallways and vents, creating the impression that the entire game took place on one enormous map. I don't think any other FPS titles did that previously, or if they did, they didn't do it as well.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Another big thing that HL1 was praised for was the way it handled loading... the game would pause and load as you walked through hallways and vents, creating the impression that the entire game took place on one enormous map. I don't think any other FPS titles did that previously, or if they did, they didn't do it as well.

Boy they really did not carry that lesson forward, did they?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

How the hell did you get through the headcrab room at the bottom of the mineshaft

I don't remember, but I don't think it was very hard compared to the rest of it. Headcrabs die to just one crowbar hit.

Pylons posted:

Boy they really did not carry that lesson forward, did they?

Sure they did? In HL2 you walk all the way to nova prospekt.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 20, 2019

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Polo-Rican posted:

The only other game I can think of that did that earlier than HL1 was Killing Time on the 3DO and PC, though the load times between segments was longer. I guess technically Strife (the Doom engine game not the other one) did that even earlier?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mymla posted:

I don't remember, but I don't think it was very hard compared to the rest of it. Headcrabs die to just one crowbar hit.

Sure they did? In HL2 you walk all the way to nova prospekt.

With about a million loading screens.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pylons posted:

With about a million loading screens.

...Just like in half life 1? I'm honestly not sure what you feel was different in 2 in this regard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The good news is that, on an SSD at least, those loading screens are super fast and the end result is a world that does feel large and open.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

You’ve got to be loving kidding me with this post lmao. Holy poo poo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mymla posted:

...Just like in half life 1? I'm honestly not sure what you feel was different in 2 in this regard.

Not only did both HL1 and 2 do that, but all the games - HL1 through HL2:EP2 - are unbroken from the perspective of Gordon. Dude hasn't even slept from the moment he started work that morning at Black Mesa, except for the times he's forcibly knocked unconscious.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not only did both HL1 and 2 do that, but all the games - HL1 through HL2:EP2 - are unbroken from the perspective of Gordon. Dude hasn't even slept from the moment he started work that morning at Black Mesa, except for the times he's forcibly knocked unconscious.

He slept enough between HL1 and 2 and he's pretty much asleep permanently now so....he's rested.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chaosapiant posted:

He slept enough between HL1 and 2 and he's pretty much asleep permanently now so....he's rested.
G-Man explicitly tells Gordon to wake up at the start of HL2, so maybe he used his weird space alien government magic powers to refresh his neurochemistry.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Technically the time between HL1 and HL2 is just a really big loading time

So HL3 is still coming, it's just so big it's taking a long time to load!!!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Polo-Rican posted:

As great as that was those loading screens were a huge immersion breaker on 2004 hardware. A game fully pausing to load without any warning or transition screen feels like it's crashed or your PC is about to explode.

The continuous map thing was great though. I'm a sucker for any game that feels like one long road trip.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
God of War on PS4 does an incredible job of this, you go all over the region and even into different dimensions, and it's one long single cut. There's no camera angle suddenly changing, or loading screens. Just one focused on Kratos, from start to finish.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
To be honest just not having to change disc to play the second half of the game was a big enough win for me. I don't mind a loading screen every now and again.. but the major two half-life games have helped define the genre, for better or worse. Probably better

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I was hoping for an Opposing Forces sequel, tbh :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You’ve got to be loving kidding me with this post lmao. Holy poo poo

Yup, you got me. I was disinterested and tried to bail while giving the guy an out to talk about the game he liked.

I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling goobusters!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

lmao masterful troll by Valve

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Clark2 posted:

lmao masterful troll by Valve

:gaben:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

chaosapiant posted:

It's cute to me when folks say there's "no game dev talent at Valve" because to me that means you must work there. I'm guessing some folks whose names you recognize left the company, and you thought that was everyone? Or you have, on hand, the resumes of every employee? I'll never understand blanket hyperbole posts like that.

it's artifact all over again hahaha

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Entorwellian posted:

I was hoping for an Opposing Forces sequel, tbh :(

What, the critically acclaimed official Steam storefront releases Prospekt and Hunt Down The Freeman that were sold for actual money dollars didn't scratch that itch?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hunt Down The Freeman is so Chernobylically bad it actually causes itches

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Gnome de plume posted:

What, the critically acclaimed official Steam storefront releases Prospekt and Hunt Down The Freeman that were sold for actual money dollars didn't scratch that itch?

I'd rather be making GBS threads blood from ebola than play either of those.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gnome de plume posted:

Black Mesa and Minerva were p. good tho

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

speaking of which Black Mesa is almost done I think

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I feel like portal would be a much better VR experience.

The only thing I ultimately want out of VR is to get myself a really nice steering wheel, and then just have the vr headset so I can do stuff like look at my rear view mirrors and check blind spots in stuff like Forza 7

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 21, 2019

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
My opinion:

Valve had two options:

Make Alyx mainly VR but announce and release a port/version of it that isn't VR only, so that people who aren't super-rich or just don't like VR can enjoy another trip into Half-Life's world, and people who are into VR can enjoy a game that serves as a killer app for the very controversial technology making everyone get into arguments.

OR Make Alyx only VR and piss off literally the mass majority of people who were annoyed by the silent death of Episode 3 by making them doubt that valve actually is doing this to make another game but merely to create a cash cow, while also causing literally tons of dumb flame wars in literally every single thread or blog post or news or whatever about the game about the EXACT same arguments regarding VR that everyone always makes, and ultimately have yet ANOTHER large controversy that would've killed the company if not for the large amount of money they make literally every second from steam and poo poo, and the circle continues, forever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I feel like portal would be a much better VR experience.

The only thing I ultimately want out of VR is to get myself a really nice steering wheel, and then just have the vr headset so I can do stuff like look at my rear view mirrors and check blind spots in stuff like Forza 7

I would've preferred L4DVR or PORTAL VR 1000% but then again I haven't seen it yet and maybe they're making those anyway

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

It's cute to me when folks say there's "no game dev talent at Valve" because to me that means you must work there. I'm guessing some folks whose names you recognize left the company, and you thought that was everyone? Or you have, on hand, the resumes of every employee? I'll never understand blanket hyperbole posts like that.

The idea is that making games require skills, which require practice to maintain and improve. Also that people who are good at making games professionally want to work on making games professionally. Neither of those are things that Valve has done for the last decade.

Sally Strawman is an graphics engine programmer who did a bunch of work on the Source engine for HL2, followed by incremental updates for other games that used it. Then Valve stopped making games and Sally gets retasked to work on the Steam backend. So she quits and goes to work at Epic or Unity.

Her cousin Stan Strawman is an animator whose best work was animation for HL2 and the TF2 shorts. He's still at Valve, but hasn't done any animation work outside of limited internal demos for five years.

Metaphor Mel never worked at Valve. He's a world class chef famous for putting on unique elaborate banquets to near universal acclaim. Then he took a 10 year hiatus. He still cooked little dinner parties for his family occasionally, but nothing big or fancy. How well do you think he's going to do when he gets back into it?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Metaphor Mel never worked at Valve. He's a world class chef famous for putting on unique elaborate banquets to near universal acclaim. Then he took a 10 year hiatus. He still cooked little dinner parties for his family occasionally, but nothing big or fancy. How well do you think he's going to do when he gets back into it?

Metaphor Mel signs a deal with Netflix for his return. What now ???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vr sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Donovan Trip posted:

I would've preferred L4DVR or PORTAL VR 1000% but then again I haven't seen it yet and maybe they're making those anyway

If Valve went Orange Box style and released three really solid VR games at once it'd be pretty tempting.

I imagine Portal would just make me throw up though.