Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

It was noted at the time that the proposed GR harassment policy would have completely exonerated GR if it had been in place during their CA Suleiman issue.

So they both realized their timeline wouldn't help anything AND their policy would have made it okay anyway. Strong hustle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

So they both realized their timeline wouldn't help anything AND their policy would have made it okay anyway. Strong hustle.

Are you allowed to ask about it on rpg.net yet

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A while back Jason Pitre (of Sig and After the War) surveyed a bunch of small RPG publishers, and the results are now available.

http://www.genesisoflegend.com/2019/11/analysis-of-the-tabletop-rpg-publishing-survey/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The comment from Evil Hat near the end of the survey is interesting as an illustration of why they had to rethink their business model a few months ago.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

potatocubed posted:

A while back Jason Pitre (of Sig and After the War) surveyed a bunch of small RPG publishers, and the results are now available.

http://www.genesisoflegend.com/2019/11/analysis-of-the-tabletop-rpg-publishing-survey/

Seems like being an rpg producer is as financially grim as I expected, at least here on the smaller end of the scale. Interesting read.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It can be pretty rough. It's possible to do alright as a side gig while working a day job, and it's possible to make ends meet as a medium or larger enterprise -- but there's a trough between one and the other which is difficult to cross.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Seems like being an rpg producer is as financially grim as I expected, at least here on the smaller end of the scale. Interesting read.

I can't say as I'm surprised, either, that it turned out Evil Hat regrets the massive overpromising of supplements back during the Fate Core KS.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Are you allowed to ask about it on rpg.net yet

When attempting to look up what the gently caress this was about, I notice Holden Shearer in the thread about it gleefully admitting to sheltering a serial rapist and allowing the serial rapist in question to seek out new victims and somehow not being instantly banned. Like, the mods are just 100% okay with that.

Jesus gently caress. Was he still employed by Onyx Path and working on Exalted at that time? (Oct, 2017)

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

GreenMetalSun posted:

Jesus gently caress. Was he still employed by Onyx Path and working on Exalted at that time? (Oct, 2017)

Pretty sure their relationship had dissolved before all this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenMetalSun posted:

When attempting to look up what the gently caress this was about, I notice Holden Shearer in the thread about it gleefully admitting to sheltering a serial rapist and allowing the serial rapist in question to seek out new victims and somehow not being instantly banned. Like, the mods are just 100% okay with that.

I mean, Holden was signal boosting his rapist friend's book inbetween tweets attacking OPP for working with McFarland within the past year.

He seems to think that said rapist is no longer working in the RPG industry Holden has does his due dilligance and is free to continue being his friend.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did documentation come out of Morke sexually assaulting someone?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

potatocubed posted:

An unintentional side-effect of this survey is to really highlight how badly the whole industry needs editors: the PDF itself is in desperate need of a copyedit.

It also needs someone with more skills at data analysis. Some of the conclusions drawn by the surveyor are invalidated by the methodology. For example, only the first run of any product was included, and only recent products, and yet the surveyor attempts to show data and draw a conclusion about total sales for those products. As another example, the discrepancy between word count, minimum pay per word, and total writing budget was attributed to unpaid writing, but the survey could have directly asked for how much of the wordcount/how many words were produced unpaid; since a later comment points out that several other budgeted items were not asked about.

All that said, it's still a really cool and good look and I'm happy the survey was done. There's not going to be across-the-industry improvements in product budgeting, design, pay for contributors, etc. without some semblance of market analysis data and this is the first I've seen that isn't just someone trying to read tea leaves based on Hasbro quarterly reports and estimated sales figures of Pathfinder products posted on reddit or something.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

I guess this is good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It is good.

That guy still gives me a bad vibe tho.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Colonial Gothic 3e didn't have racial ability modifiers. Congratulations on not adding them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

It is good.

That guy still gives me a bad vibe tho.

I don't think he's a chud or a bad person, and I respect the hustle I guess, but it's definitely annoying.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oh Shillhander Guy, never change. :allears:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has the problem ever been people saying that Orks are tougher than Elfs?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

moths posted:

Generally not on its own, the problems usually emerge when that's tied in with people saying Orks are dumber than Elves. That way leads to some ugly racial :biotruths:.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

Weirdly enough, kind of. Back in the old grogstxt days, there were actually grogposts from, of all places, Stormfront saying that posters' "racial consciousness" (read: Nazism) was awakened by D&D racial modifiers allowing them to understand the basic concepts of eugenics. I'm sure without it these folks would've found other methods of becoming assholes, but...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I need to get my Masters in Data Science so I can be way to expensive for any RPG publisher to hire to even look at something like this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That topic did lead to someone, in this very forum, arguing that Orcs had a +2 to Strength only because they're depicted with big muscles, unlike Elves who don't have big muscles.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I mean, it's not great that the standard fantasy world is a place where racism is literally correct.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Against the Darkmaster, a MERP clone that I think ended its KS just recently, had a whole subthread on RPGnet about getting rid of racial modifiers. They've just got "heritage" modifiers instead, or something like that. It's not racist if a troll is naturally dumb because of their troll heritage. Totally different words!

Anyway, I feel like we can be glad of a good thing without constantly harping on dude for being an annoying shill sometimes. Assuming this isn't an impending milkshake ducking or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm sure he's just going the direction the wind's blowing (and it's probably good that the wind is going that way) but somehow I expect this to go all wrong.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

That Old Tree posted:

Against the Darkmaster, a MERP clone that I think ended its KS just recently, had a whole subthread on RPGnet about getting rid of racial modifiers. They've just got "heritage" modifiers instead, or something like that. It's not racist if a troll is naturally dumb because of their troll heritage. Totally different words!

Who the hell is looking for a merps retroclone

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wrestlepig posted:

I had a little interest until I read the aforementioned "heritage" posts. If they do the work it can be molded into a fine system. It's not like ICE was doing anything interesting with Rolemaster and its derivatives.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 20, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
HERITAGE NOT HATE

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

That Old Tree posted:

I had a little interest until I read the aforementioned "heritage" posts. If they do the work it can be a fine system.

If they’re just going to take Hackmaster and tidy up the terms so they’re close to lord of the rings and also not as problematic, all power to them. I like MERPS but it’s a weird historical artefact that married two things that weren’t a match at all, and a retroclone is going to miss that.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did documentation come out of Morke sexually assaulting someone?

I'm also wondering about this. It might just be my memory failing me and there have been way too many stories of bad actors in this hobby, but I had mentally filed Morke under "sexual harasser". Was I mistaken? Was it actually sexual assault?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Jimbozig posted:

I'm also wondering about this. It might just be my memory failing me and there have been way too many stories of bad actors in this hobby, but I had mentally filed Morke under "sexual harasser". Was I mistaken? Was it actually sexual assault?

I thought he was a sex pest, but not, afaik, an actual rapist?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Magnusth posted:

I thought he was a sex pest, but not, afaik, an actual rapist?

Yeah, I thought he was the guy who only hired women he thought were attractive and then flirted with them constantly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I remember watching Adam Koebel's Zweihander review and it included a brief sidebar on "hey, we're going to use Singular They in this book and only gendered pronouns for examples of play where it fits the player in the example" so that was cool, at least.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kibner posted:

Yeah, I thought he was the guy who only hired women he thought were attractive and then flirted with them constantly.
I have not heard any reports of John Morke sexually assaulting anyone, only the creepy sex-pesty behavior and the intense gatekeeping for writing on Exalted. I would certainly not be surprised - but I have not heard such. Hardly a redeeming feature of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wrestlepig posted:

I've seen several creaky and fairly obscure 80s systems get retroclones, even stuff like the Pacesetter house system. Not usually crowdfunded with quality art, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's already Blood, Guts & Glory, I think it's called. Kind of rolemaster lite on a d20, with animals.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Hey, remember Sigmata?

Well, he’s putting out a new book which contains A) an apology for some of the weird text/subtext in the core (which still kind of misses the mark a bit, I think)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1197277448125239297

and B) a gigantic rewrite of the core rules, which is being done as a supplement instead of a revised edition for... some reason.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1197203929181958144

https://mobile.twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1197534956165238793

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know what, I'm just going to copypaste this text that was going to go in the intro chapter of my Sigmata F&F:

I don’t know what the gently caress Radical Empathy is and I don't think Chad Walker does either. He does that thing where you make a series of stirring statements about something without even giving a clear definition, much less anything about what it looks like in practice. This is pretty common with people who learned how to be a left-activist from grad students on Twitter.

I did a Google search for Radical Empathy and the top results included TEDx Talks by corporate consultants, a children’s summer camp, a nonprofit that distributes Islamophobic films, and a company whose business model is using virtual reality simulations to teach people that human trafficking is bad. “Radical empathy” is a buzzword invented by people who charge consulting fees to give corporations a veneer of caring about anything but profit.

So I have nothing against empathy, even the radical kind, but this sounds like a buzzword employed by Very Serious People to pad their resume. It’s the sort of thing I’d expect to be taken Very Seriously by a guy who says he's an "anarcho-leftist" but confines his leftism to tone-policing other leftists and freaking out about online tankies.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oh hey, that dude blocked me at last, I guess he found out I was not happy with his two-faced response to me when stigmata came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He handles criticism very, extremely well as you can see ITT

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1127955180807438337