Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i never made a single goblet or mug :evilbuddy:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
something i've noticed is that depression is now handled differently, or is even something entirely different from the old melancholia. the diagnoser who got sad got better after a while, and fell into depression again a couple of times. since said dwarf is not dead, and currently best for the job, it's now the fort's chief medical dwarf.

i have no idea how the regular depressive episodes will effect that in practice, but emotionally broken doctors are an exciting archtype

hope this works:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S3s43WXy95n0yFKZQl4LDP0CsYMbzOHw?usp=sharing

Nosfereefer

something i forgot to mention re: military, is how this new trained core of soldiers will make eventual replacements or expansions a lot quicker

beginning from scratch is a slow process in this version of the game since, as ive mentioned, nobody knows anything relevant. it's just a bunch of clueless beginners trying to explain the basics to each other

since they've now had a good time to work on that, we have plenty of pretty decent teachers who actually have some idea of what they're supposed to be teaching. this means that new recruits will learn the basics a lot quicker. a good idea if we're making more squads (the standard unit of up to 10 dwarves) in the future is therefore to move some of the experienced troops into them, as training happens on the squad level

at the moment this doesn't apply for actual weapon use since, well, none of them have held one yet

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

i never made a single goblet or mug :evilbuddy:

lmao

FreshCutFries

I for one vote to keep our military as an elite cuddle force instead of introducing weapons

Nosfereefer

FreshCutFries posted:

I for one vote to keep our military as an elite cuddle force instead of introducing weapons

this sounds all good and well until you realize they will rip out their enemies teeth and beat them to death with them

and im not sure if this is a reason for or against

e: or suplex a rhino

Nosfereefer

some time after i finished the main hall, i got a notification that a horse starved to death

this was because dwarf fortress is really stupid/great

when assigning a "meeting area", such as our underground hall, all idle dwarves will gather there to talk and make new friends

domesticated animals will also join them. this includes animals which needs to graze to survive. they will not leave this place, even if they're starving

in short, all our livestock joined the merrymakers until i noticed, but now they're staying in an above grazing area that i designated

google THIS

I propose a hybrid approach, a variedly skilled militia peppered with a few cuddle commandos who know little of life outside of cuddling, practicing cuddling, and drinking.

Nosfereefer

google THIS posted:

who know little of life outside of cuddling, practicing cuddling, and drinking

plz don't doxx

google THIS

Also I volunteer to be our sexy dominatrix hammerer as long as it's cool if I bring one or more of my four children to work if I can't find a sitter.

FreshCutFries

I'm going to start shooting PM's to button havers for name changes for most years, so please post one if you come up with it

byob dwarf fortress: it's been three years since ive used a goblet, cup, or mug.

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

google THIS posted:

So, mechanics question, is food spoilage not a thing or is it mercifully lenient or do dwarven digestive systems just not give a gently caress? I skimmed the last thread and it seems like the game carefully calculates the secretions of a dwarf's salivary glands as he pries the lid off a barrel of raw uncleaned seafood that's been sitting in a damp cave for six months.

It's, uh, complicated.

* Food left on the ground will rot. I've lost meals this way when I didn't notice meals piling up in the kitchen not being taken to a stockpile.

*Food left on the ground but in a stockpile will not decay. However, vermin like rats running around will cause food to become damaged, losing value and eventually disappear. Cats and falcons can kill vermin, keeping your stockpiles safe. But then you have dead vermin to deal with.

*Food/drinks in a barrel, bucket or other container lasts forever, so barrels are a pro move.
Note: liquids such as milk will freeze if left in freezing temperatures, making them inaccessible until thawed.

But, yes, a barrel of raw fish stays good forever. :iit:

Fuubi

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nosfereefer posted:

last update:

the rest of the winter was pretty uneventful, unfortunatly

the highlights were fuubi giving birth to her daughter.

Dear daughter of mine,

Welcome to this world. I hope to not have to use you as a club to beat giant carp over the head...

...but I can't make any promises.

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 21, 2019

FreshCutFries

the amount of forts i lost to carp back in the day was truly amazing. i miss lethal carp

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
these threads are always amazing

thank you fresh cut fries and nosfereefer for your work and vivid narrative, this is the best thread right now

the yeti

memento disco

Nosfereefer posted:

and the yeti starting some weird project

get ready for the best horse bone child’s toy you chumps have ever seen

it menaces with spikes of fish leather

FreshCutFries

h papps volunteered next for year three i believe, but if you don't have time to do it now pls let us know!

Nosfereefer

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's, uh, complicated.

* Food left on the ground will rot. I've lost meals this way when I didn't notice meals piling up in the kitchen not being taken to a stockpile.

*Food left on the ground but in a stockpile will not decay. However, vermin like rats running around will cause food to become damaged, losing value and eventually disappear. Cats and falcons can kill vermin, keeping your stockpiles safe. But then you have dead vermin to deal with.

*Food/drinks in a barrel, bucket or other container lasts forever, so barrels are a pro move.
Note: liquids such as milk will freeze if left in freezing temperatures, making them inaccessible until thawed.

But, yes, a barrel of raw fish stays good forever. :iit:

haha i never realized this since barrels increase storage capacity by a lot and are dirt cheap

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

h papps volunteered next for year three i believe, but if you don't have time to do it now pls let us know!

i have time, but maybe year four? i wanna mess around for a while so i don't immediately destroy the whole thread, and my lil bro loves df so he's giving me some tips,

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

i have time, but maybe year four? i wanna mess around for a while so i don't immediately destroy the whole thread, and my lil bro loves df so he's giving me some tips,

this being said i am starting up df for the first time in like, 6 years, to see if i can shake the rust off.

a long while ago i played gnomoria a lot, which i figured was like df lite with a tileset, and i had a lot of fun with it.

if i give myself a chunk of time to learn the game i could be ready tomorrow to run a year i think, especially if i have my lil bro bring some beers and help me not destroy everything by like opening both floodgates or whatever

Who What Now

by Azathoth
So Nosfereefer you started training a military, did you ever consider building a Danger Room?

Nosfereefer

Who What Now posted:

So Nosfereefer you started training a military, did you ever consider building a Danger Room?

danger rooms are cool and good, but i didn't really feel like it was viable at this stage. the smollbois didn't have armour for most of the year, and there's no functioning hospital yet. i also really didn't have the mechanisms at hand

but the current sparing area could easily be converted into one later on i think

Who What Now

by Azathoth
That's extremely fair. I usually don't start training a military u til my third or fourth year, when I have a fully realized metal industry.

Although usually with my luck it's a bronze industry because I can't find iron, much less flux.

Heather Papps

hello friend

my little brother is over explaining dwarf fortress to me and there is no way to make a nerd happier then to ask him to explain his nerd to you

Nosfereefer

Heather Papps posted:

my little brother is over explaining dwarf fortress to me and there is no way to make a nerd happier then to ask him to explain his nerd to you

embrace his teachings, become one with the dwarf fort

Nosfereefer

the game has been developed for a solid 17 years now. we're all like early hobby radio enthusiasts, experimenting with technology that's still poorly understood even by its own inventors

even with the wiki in its current state, a lot of the knowledge about how to make different things interact with each other is based on first hand experience, educated guesses, and hearsay

Nosfereefer

like, i don't even know why the dogs in our current fortress are surviving. are we feeding them? do they help themselves to our food stockpiles? do they even need food? :iiam:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Nosfereefer posted:

like, i don't even know why the dogs in our current fortress are surviving. are we feeding them? do they help themselves to our food stockpiles? do they even need food? :iiam:

I thought they were slowly eating the dingo men and women

Heather Papps

hello friend

so tomorrow i'm gonna run my year. i've been messing around for a few hours today and even tho' it's obtuse, it is kind of intuitive? i don't know but i like it and now i wish i had paid more attention to the development.
i was telling my brother i can parse ascii for like, roguelikes and whatnot, but the amount of visual noise in the game is intimidating to even the initiated.

my goal for the year is to not destroy everything, and to have a tavern up and running.

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

so tomorrow i'm gonna run my year. i've been messing around for a few hours today and even tho' it's obtuse, it is kind of intuitive? i don't know but i like it and now i wish i had paid more attention to the development.
i was telling my brother i can parse ascii for like, roguelikes and whatnot, but the amount of visual noise in the game is intimidating to even the initiated.

my goal for the year is to not destroy everything, and to have a tavern up and running.

hell yeah, looking forward to it

Nosfereefer

don't forget to ban travelling poets! they killed us all last time

queef anxiety

yeah
i want to hate them but i just cant

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Heather Papps posted:

Remember: even if your year ends with the fort burning losing is fun.

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

Nosfereefer posted:

Carnivorous animals still don't need food, only grazers. I guess they can harvest all the scraps they need by licking dwarven beards.

Heather Papps

hello friend

a fun thing about df is that figuring out how to play df is also it's own game

par example i am figuring out how to import a savefile currently and it's been a fun reminder of when i wanted to know where that last loving fairy was in the stone tower holy poo poo and i didn't realised i missed the struggle of games till it happened. anyways i think i figured it out but bear with me cause i am not a clever man

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am laughing very hard at the fact that turning off the intro animation is an "advanced settings feature"

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

a fun thing about df is that figuring out how to play df is also it's own game

it's almost the entire game for me. i love playing with new mechanics in the game. it's a big reason i kinda dropped off playing new versions when toady's attention went more to adventure mode and world gen.

HappyKitty

Oh poo poo I missed this, hang on, remind me to read this thread when I wake up

Heather Papps

hello friend

weekends are busy. i apologize for lack of updates but i want to do a good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

weekends are busy. i apologize for lack of updates but i want to do a good job!

yeah, no rush!