Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Macaluso posted:

Oh apparently it's the IV thing that requires the battle tower. Well then. Guess I gotta get catchin

edit: Okay next question then. Can I get false swipe from somewhere

The pokecenter in Motostoke right next to route 3 sells it, you can also catch wild Axew that already know it. The only pokemon I've been able to teach it to so far are Axew line and Grookey line, though, and quick balls with a high level pokemon in the lead have had an incredible success rate for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All Pokemon are "it"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

No one has an extra gold suitcase amazon code, do they? Amazon hosed me out of mine when they lost my package. :(

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Aight, So I've finished the game and the postgame I'm gonna post my thoughts here:

Positives:

The Pokemon: A+ good designs across the board. Of course there's going to be a few I'm not in love with but overall top tier stuff. I especially love our sassy starter lizard Inteleon the best and I can't wait to see how he gets portrayed in the anime. The hairy fairies came in clutch for me a few times as well. Box legendaries are genuinely really neat.

The Wild Area: While it still feels a bit raw and underdeveloped it's a great loving idea and I love how it was executed. Pokemon really does need to move more in this direction. While I was frustrated at how hard it was to get my hands on good TM's at first this was quickly mitigated by the realization they gave you more lee-way to level your pokemon and watts are essentially free as long as you touch a den. This leads to getting obscenely good moves very early on that absolutely come in the clutch several times. And coming from someone fresh off Sun and Moon the graphics for a pokemon game look goddamn great. I can see the leaves moving on the trees and water moving in little ripples. Weather effects are also very engaging and interacting with overworld pokemon is a blast. Especially since their behavior reflects their pokedex entries. Very good stuff. Golden auras also make it much easier to get your hands on good pokemon early on as I can attest to with my Toxel who became the ace of my team very quickly. Also the music is baller, I love me some bagpipes.

Gameplay: The level limit didn't bother me that much since I've never thrown down with pokemon that looked like they could kick the poo poo out of my team. And trust me those Bridge area pokemon don't gently caress around. Fights move smoothly enough and I'm very happy with how they've changed walking in the grass mechanics. This the first time I've mean able to ride smoothly through these areas without worrying about getting stopped short by a pokemon battle. You can see them moving on screen or look out for the exclamation points. Throwing out the heart scales mechanic is also a godsend and grouping it together with all the other name rating, move recalling aspects is very crisp and a good judgement call. Camping and making curry is quite a lot of fun. It's quite nice to see your pokemon interact with each other and making curry is surprisingly immersive. Playing with pokemon is also quite adorable especially when they're older, slightly terrifying looking, and still want to play fetch the squishy pokeball with you. Also fly and surf are no longer necessary for you get around and I'm throughly grateful for it.

Difficulty: Surpisingly tough in a lot places even with exp. share on. Kabu and Raihan especially don't gently caress around and I almost lost to the latter on my first go. That hasn't happened in years so i'll tell you definitely kept things interesting. Raid battles provide a lot of opportunities to beef up your own party so I never felt like the situation was beyond my control or unfair when all I needed to do was grind a little bit. Significantly LESS from previous pokemon games I might add. It's a very welcome change. Also liked how they changed up the elite four challenge into a tournament but I'll get into that with my next piece.

Characters: Some of best characters I've ever seen in a pokemon game and that's in no small part due to them remaining relevant throughout the ENTIRE game not unlike Black and White. I loved all the gym leaders (Piers especially) and it's a lot more interesting to challenge them all at once then have an elite four. The battles at gyms are best feeling in the entire series. The music along with the crowd's chanting is great and very immersive. The sports aspects are played well and actually make going into the gym genuinely exciting again. Leon is an absolute himbo but he's fun and it's lot easier to get emotionally attached to him than a lot of other champions. Funnily enough he turned out to have more brains than the villain when it seemed like he was just naive and would go along with anything. Very neat plot twist. Marnie and Bede are also some the best rivals we've gotten in years and I adore them both. Oh and Opal! Coolest old lady ever!

Galar Region: Beautifully realized UK in quite a lot of places. The Slumbering Weald and Glimwood Tangle are my favorites although I would've loved for them to be bigger and more detailed. Very pretty aesthetics going on in this game.

Negatives:

Online services: Have thus far been absolute poo poo. Getting other people in raid battles is an absolute chore and making due with the brain dead trainers they give you in game is a miserable experience. They need to fix this poo poo and quickly.

Cuts: It's clear building the wild area forced them to chop out a lot of content from other areas like the routes and some of the towns. Ballonlea is especially egregious and it becomes clear as you go on they were trying to speed up the whole Gym challenge business. While the amount of pokemon available to you in the wild area initially makes up for dexit it's still frustrating as hell to try and find pokemon from this gen sometimes. This is something I have always hated and it's no different in this game. Why the gently caress they insist on making galarian pokemon so hard to get sometimes is beyond me and very frustrating. Not to mention the move cuts of return and hidden power which do not loving serve to balance out the competitive scene and were wholly unnecessary. Not to mention poor Vespiquen was apparently decided to be too much of a threat and had all her healing moves removed (loving why?!) Some of these decisions I can understand as time crunch...others not so much. Animation in a lot of places feels really old and suffers as well.

Story: Is pretty drat bland and villains are awful. Usually pokemon villains are at least entertainingly goofy with positive points or just full on crazy sociopaths. Here we have neither. Here we just have a giant moron and his maybe girlfriend who's...I dunno psychotic for some reason. We never get any background on these two so it's impossible to understand what's going on with them. Even by pokemon standards this whole villain plot feels rushed and weird and I'm not sure how the game intends us to feel towards these guys. Their treatment of Bede is full on emotional abuse but then afterward suddenly they're sad and repentant and poo poo? What the gently caress? But we barely pay attention to them enough to get the low down so I'm literally just guessing here. I wish Hop wasn't our main rival.....he gets irritating really fast I felt like between the two of us I was humoring him so he would shut up faster. Spoilers: he doesn't. The whole thing would've worked better if they concentrated more on the sports game aspect and didn't shoehorn Eternatus into the main story. Maybe leave him for the postgame or something.

Overall it was pretty dang good, story is much weaker than sun and moon and I'm not thrilled by a lot of the cuts but it's not as bad as people online were making it out to be. I feel like they take two steps forward and then takes two steps back. Its kinda frustrating tbh.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 20, 2019

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Flopsy posted:

Throwing out the heart scales mechanic is also a godsend and grouping it together with all the other name rating, move recalling aspects is very crisp and a good judgement call.
Also fly and surf are no longer necessary for you get around and I'm throughly grateful for it.

These changes, along with adding in the exp candies from raids, are the best QoL changes.

I do wish they still had field moves like cut (implemented like they were in Sun/Moon or Let's Go, NOT as HMs) because it was fun to go back and find secret paths/items after you unlock them. I also miss having dungeons. I kind of get why they don't want mandatory story dungeons, because some players might get stuck and frustrated. But they could have side dungeons to explore, with items, rare pokemon, and more challenging trainers.

Edit: The worst thing about SwSh is not the lack of dungeons or the fact that I can't use my pal Ampharos. It's that I can't use the touchscreen to move pokemon around in the boxes. :argh:
Why do no switch games use the dang touchscreen. I know it can't be the only control method due to compatibility with TV mode but come on!

Genovera fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 20, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope in the updated finished version we play as Leon or Sonia so we can have a actual adventure and not whatever the total trash of a story we got as a trainer was.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/justlemres/status/1197250608518041601?s=21
:stonk:
What the gently caress gamers

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Considering one of the first pieces of fanart I became aware of for SwSh was some sort of ape or monkey wearing Nessa's outfit, I am entirely not surprised that mod exists. I am surprised I saw it before any nude mods, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Considering one of the first pieces of fanart I became aware of for SwSh was some sort of ape or monkey wearing Nessa's outfit, I am entirely not surprised that mod exists. I am surprised I saw it before any nude mods, though.

:psyduck:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

Did they already hack poo poo into the game?

That seemed rather quick...

Yes and no. It is, technically, possible according to a few forums. However, it requires two Switches--one unhacked--and the unhacked one had to be made before September 2018 or so before Nintendo implemented a patch that is really good at detecting and banning certain things in online play.

I'm sure people will figure out how to make it easier eventually, but my personal experience as primarily a breeder and Surprise Trader is that I haven't seen any obviously hacked mons yet after a hundred+ trades, which is a far cry from the flood that was SuMo.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The fact that I can't buy packs of other player's trainer cards is a crime

e: also not looking forward to getting the trainer card for "Sieg Hiel," #88

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oh my god

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Curry background is the best background.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My trainer number is 777, for good luck! I'm surprised more people didn't do that.

Also, I love Impidimp and his evolutions. I wasn't going to use him because I already have a fairy type on my team, but that little poo poo just has so much personality :3:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As previously mentioned all the trainer numbers in this game are number puns. Because I have nothing better to do, here they are:

Milo: 831. "Yasai", meaning vegetables. Also the word scrambled up for Saiyan.
Ness: 049. "Oyogu", verb meaning "to swim".
Kabu: 187 on a motherfuckin cop. "Hibana", meaning spark.
Bea: 193. "Ikusa", meaning fight.
Alister: 291. "Nikui", meaning hateful or detestable.
Opal: 910. Cute, as in literally the English word "cute" in katakana.
Gordie: 188. "Iwaba", meaning rock face (like a cliffside not a literal rock face)
Melony: 361. "Samui", meaning cold (as in "I'm cold" or "it's cold outside")
Piers: 061. "Warui", meaning bad. This is why Wario and Waluigi have the names that they do.
Raiha: 241. Tsuyoi", meaning strong.
Hop: 189. "Hiyaku", verb meaning "to leap".
Bede: 908, Clever, again literally the english word.
Marnie: 960, "Kuromu", verb meaning "to blacken"

While looking up what Gordie's pun could be I found out there was a reddit post with all of these I could have linked but gently caress it I was halfway done I needed to finish typing this up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was super lame and went with the last two digits of my birth year for my trainer number.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i wouldnt have done 187 if id known an npc had it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i did 420 because it's a funny number

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

As previously mentioned all the trainer numbers in this game are number puns. Because I have nothing better to do, here they are:

Gordie: 188. "Iwaba", meaning rock face (like a cliffside not a literal rock face)
Piers: 061. "Warui", meaning bad. This is why Wario and Waluigi have the names that they do.

While looking up what Gordie's pun could be I found out there was a reddit post with all of these I could have linked but gently caress it I was halfway done I needed to finish typing this up.

This kind of thing is the reason I'm sure I'll never be able learn Japanese fluency. Pronunciations and readings change all over the place and my dumb ADD riddled anxiety brain can't retain any of that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally got a Dreepy via wonder trade! :3:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IIRC a Japanese fanartist made a picture of Nessa using pastel colors which resulted in her skin tone being lighter than official work. Someone got really upset over it and the ensuing twitter controversy was picked up by gamers.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My number is 15 because in Japanese 1 is ichi and 5 is go. Combine the 2 as words and you get "ichigo" or "strawberry". :3:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blockhouse posted:

As a lover of puns I really appreciate this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Framboise posted:

My number is 15 because in Japanese 1 is ichi and 5 is go. Combine the 2 as words and you get "ichigo" or "strawberry". :3:

did you learn this from Bleach

don't lie

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I genuinely did not. Never watched Bleach and know next to nothing about it. I thought I was really clever for figuring it out on my own like 10 years ago and later found out it's not uncommon for numbers to make words in Japanese

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Framboise posted:

I genuinely did not. Never watched Bleach and know next to nothing about it. I thought I was really clever for figuring it out on my own like 10 years ago and later found out it's not uncommon for numbers to make words in Japanese

Okay, I believe you because I think anyone else would have lied and said "yes I learned it from Bleach" instead of "I believed I discovered number puns".

(I learned it from Bleach)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I guess I need to screw around with my trainer card now. Some good ones in this thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

is there a number pun for "fashionista" or similar, because I feel like that'd better align with many posters here from the point of view of the gym leaders

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i used 7 on my trainer card, because its the only funny number for true gamers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yo I got a fossilized fish in Pokémon shield from the digger. I thought the fish and the bird were sword only?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i picked number 99 for my trainer because if i'm going to be the greatest pokemon trainer then it's only fitting that my number matches the greatest hockey player

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Oh poo poo, I got pokerus on route 8. Don't know how valuable it is with the EV changes but I'll take it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dienes posted:

Oh poo poo, I got pokerus on route 8. Don't know how valuable it is with the EV changes but I'll take it.

I dunno where I got it or what it is actually, I went to a pokecenter to get healed up and was spamming to end the dialogue and saw that one word and welp

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

What the ever loving gently caress is wrong with these people? I'm so loving tired.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Was it on 8chan? Sounds like their schtick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

What the ever loving gently caress is wrong with these people? I'm so loving tired.

It was on twitter, and went all IT'S JUST A JOKE LIGHTEN UP when called out on it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gay Horney posted:

Yo I got a fossilized fish in Pokémon shield from the digger. I thought the fish and the bird were sword only?

They're not version exclusive but I think Fish and Drake are much less likely in Sword, with Bird and Dino being less likely in Shield. Take this with a grain of salt though, it may just be bad luck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

It was on twitter, and went all IT'S JUST A JOKE LIGHTEN UP when called out on it.

It at least helped me find out how many artist i followed were scum.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Like said above, Twitter. The Daily Dot has a short article about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

Yes and no. It is, technically, possible according to a few forums. However, it requires two Switches--one unhacked--and the unhacked one had to be made before September 2018 or so before Nintendo implemented a patch that is really good at detecting and banning certain things in online play.

I'm sure people will figure out how to make it easier eventually, but my personal experience as primarily a breeder and Surprise Trader is that I haven't seen any obviously hacked mons yet after a hundred+ trades, which is a far cry from the flood that was SuMo.

I mean people on the big streams are talking about their pkhex'd mons since about 2 days ago.