Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Just Chamber posted:

On further reflection I've just seen this shocking video and Jawas do in fact represent minorities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE&t=161s

That video may well be older than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Just Chamber posted:

Jawa talk: screw the Jawas. Putting aside the weird racial parallels people are putting on that scene this is a Western and supposed to be a lawless Wild West like world/ galaxy right? Well what do you think happened to armed cattle rustlers etc in the Wild West when they came and stole property? They were shot. In Westerns do we expect Clint Eastwood (Man With No Name) to not shoot the fleeing man who decides to steal his horse? Of course he will, because he's an anti hero that might save the girl and do the odd good deed now and again but ultimately he's not a good person. The world the Mandalorian lives in isn't a nice one and he shouldn't have to be a morally right figure all of the time, hell from the cold open we know this, if he was a good guy he wouldn't be a drat Bounty Hunter mercilessly collecting for corporations/ the criminal underworld those people who can't afford to pay their debts etc.

The show is not a western. It's Star Wars, which is an established genre pastiche. There are also all kinds of westerns (classic hollywood westerns, new wave hollywood westerns, spaghetti westerns) and all kinds of western heroes/anti-heroes. I don't remember Clint Eastwood shooting the fleeing man. If there is such a scene, you should be more specific. It's a really muddled analogy. The Mandalorian doesn't have to be a morally right figure all the time of course, but there's really no point in justifying his actions with unspecific reference to western films combined reference to historical treatment of cattle rustlers. The show has its own frame of reference. There are certainly some elements lifted from western, but it's a family friendly Star Wars show, not a spaghetti western.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Westy543 posted:

There was a scene cut for time in Last Jedi that did this. A bunch of stormtroopers line up with Phasma to kill Finn. He tells them that she got all their friends killed on SKB by lowering the shields, and that they should abandon the First Order for a better life where they're valued. They lower their weapons and she executes them all.

I think clips are floating around YouTube and I might have embellished a little but that's essentially it.

Yea i saw that clip and it's a great moment, showing the hypocrisy of Phasma and also allows her to actually be a badass for a second where she slaughters those troopers. Though iirc he doesnt try to recruit them but it's more about calling her out for her bullshit labeling him a traitor. Trust Rian Johnson to cut it out. John Boyega really got a raw deal with his character, he's such a good actor too.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

On further reflection I've just seen this shocking video and Jawas do in fact represent minorities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE&t=161s

i take back everything i said

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

SolarFire2 posted:

That video may well be older than you are.

Not by quite a bit sadly, i of course didnt just see but i was reminded of it by this thread

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Jawa talk: screw the Jawas. Putting aside the weird racial parallels people are putting on that scene this is a Western and supposed to be a lawless Wild West like world/ galaxy right? Well what do you think happened to armed cattle rustlers etc in the Wild West when they came and stole property? They were shot. In Westerns do we expect Clint Eastwood (Man With No Name) to not shoot the fleeing man who decides to steal his horse? Of course he will, because he's an anti hero that might save the girl and do the odd good deed now and again but ultimately he's not a good person. The world the Mandalorian lives in isn't a nice one and he shouldn't have to be a morally right figure all of the time, hell from the cold open we know this, if he was a good guy he wouldn't be a drat Bounty Hunter mercilessly collecting for corporations/ the criminal underworld those people who can't afford to pay their debts etc.

The Wild West was hella racist fyi

This country’s expansion out west was bathed in the blood of natives and Mexicans who had their land and lives stolen by white supremacism under the guise of “manifest destiny.”

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 20, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

The Wild West was hella racist fyi

It also wasn't all that wild or gunfighty in reality

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It also wasn't all that wild or gunfighty in reality

Genocides are usually very one sided, yes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After lowering the shields it's kind of crazy Kylo or Smoke didn't execute Phasma themselves

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
A bit of a tangent, but I will never not laugh at Disney's decision to call their streaming service by the letter grade it deserves: a D+.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also want to point out that the "treating Jawas bad is racist" argument is distinct from the discussion about the moral qualities of the show. I don't at all mind the morally ambiguous anti-hero resorting to violence (as long as it's in service of a character arc where he stops doing that), but arguing that killing is okay because "it's not real" is a hosed up way to engage with media. This show wasn't made in a vacuum.

Bogus Adventure posted:

A bit of a tangent, but I will never not laugh at Disney's decision to call their streaming service by the letter grade it deserves: a D+.

Lmao I can't believe this is my first time seeing this point, bravo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Lmao I can't believe this is my first time seeing this point, bravo

It's honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw the ad. Reality doesn't make sense anymore, though. A group of people thought that this was a great anti-drug campaign.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

arguing that killing is okay because "it's not real" is a hosed up way to engage with media.

it is, however, extremely funny

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

After lowering the shields it's kind of crazy Kylo or Smoke didn't execute Phasma themselves

Do they even remotely hint at why and how she's back at all in TLJ? Like, she was thrown in the trash in TFA and somehow escaped and was spared by Supreme Evil and Darth Evil, you'd think I'd remember an explanation but it's probably literally TOYS.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

D+ is a lovely name but as streaming services go it’s pretty good so far. app is clean and no bullshit, well organized, easy to use and navigate, haven’t had any buffering issues, and has a good day 1 selection including terrible obscure poo poo you’d think they wouldn’t put on there

its a nice platform i hope whatever user data they are harvesting from it results in more Gargoyles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Genocides are usually very one sided, yes.

That part goes without saying

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Strong disagree. The apps I've used have been horribly buggy and lack basic features to boot and the buffering issues have been severe to put it mildly. The selection is about as threadbare as it could possibly get in terms of originals and the backlog is mostly padded out with terrible fox movies and disney channel garbage which is amusing to scroll through but not something to seek out save ironically.

In this poster's harsh but fair view they truly do earn their D+

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

Strong disagree. The apps I've used have been horribly buggy and lack basic features to boot and the buffering issues have been severe to put it mildly. The selection is about as threadbare as it could possibly get in terms of originals and the backlog is mostly padded out with terrible fox movies and disney channel garbage which is amusing to scroll through but not something to seek out save ironically.

In this poster's harsh but fair view they truly do earn their D+

drat i haven’t had any technical issues on PS4 or my lovely old roku. YMMV i guess

i am a grown man watching the muppets, 90s x-men, spiderman, and gargoyles fully unironically thank you very much

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

The show is not a western. It's Star Wars, which is an established genre pastiche. There are also all kinds of westerns (classic hollywood westerns, new wave hollywood westerns, spaghetti westerns) and all kinds of western heroes/anti-heroes. I don't remember Clint Eastwood shooting the fleeing man. If there is such a scene, you should be more specific. It's a really muddled analogy. The Mandalorian doesn't have to be a morally right figure all the time of course, but there's really no point in justifying his actions with unspecific reference to western films combined reference to historical treatment of cattle rustlers. The show has its own frame of reference. There are certainly some elements lifted from western, but it's a family friendly Star Wars show, not a spaghetti western.

That's the thing though, yes it's "Star Wars", but there's zero reason it can't go beyond or discard some of the established tropes of previous Star Wars media and move out of that family friendly box. The actual genre can be anything any director decides to apply to it but we've sadly fallen into a rut of stories in that universe that believe they have to conform to a specific set of rules, themes etc to match the Original Trilogy. Leave that to the boring sequels retreading old ground if they wish, but allow the spin offs to become their own thing. Want a horror film set in the Star Wars universe? Sure, have Vader or some force user hunting down a bunch of terrified rebels (and dont tact it onto the end of Rogue One as lovely fan service), maybe set a crime drama series on Coruscant following some hard boiled detectives taking on the criminal underworld. You're right there are all kinds of Westerns and this isnt a 1:1 with any of those types, but regardless by all means it's a Western set in the Star Wars universe, they've even in the marketing called it a Space Western and it's all there. There's no reason our hero can't be a murderer of Jawas but also someone we root for simply because that by tradition doesn't belong in a Star Wars show.

Oh and there was no scene with Clint shooting a fleeing man, I pulled that out of the air, but for for many of his and other established anti hero characters, shooting cattle rustlers on his property or behavior of that ilk would be in line, which is exactly how they've set up the Mandalorian so far with the Jawa scene used to establish that this is a character you're supposed to feel very conflicted about (it clearly isn't the right thing to do and Baby Yodas reaction is evidence of how we should be feeling). I equated the Jawas with cattle rustlers because the setting, especially on the planet he finds the baby on is very akin to a romanticized American portrayal of the Old West (he walks into a lawless town with no government rule, you have your farmer, you have your "horses" he learns to ride, you have your lawless desolate plains etc) and yes to someone earlier I'm well aware the ACTUAL Old West was a different place and built on genocide thank you.

I mean to say "it's Star Wars" is to say what? Yes the films are genre pastiche but does every form of Star Wars media have to include science fiction, the western, a war film, and a mystical epic?

edit: Yes Star Wars contains elements of the western but that's often a small part of the overall whole as Lucas loves to borrow from everything, whereas this feels like it's leaning fully into and embracing itself as more of a "Space Western" than anything else.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Reading the wookieepedia for yoda's species and this is some straight up sitcom poo poo haha

quote:

Yoda: "A pleasure to meet you, it is."
Dooku: "There is something about you that is… familiar. I had an old friend who spoke in the same way."
―A disguised Yoda and Dooku

Everyone in the galaxy is so dumb

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

lmao imagining Yoda standing on two other Yoda’s shoulders under a big robe like Muppet Man

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
:psyduck:

Imagine Yoda going to the trouble of disguising himself so well that his "old friend" wont recognize him and then not getting a loving handle on his speech pattern.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vader: senses a dude he hasn't seen in 20 years is quietly goofing off in the same moon-sized office building

Dooku: chatting with a jawa that sounds like his old boss and current adversary in the realms of military, political, and spiritual warfare

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

:psyduck:

Imagine Yoda going to the trouble of disguising himself so well that his "old friend" wont recognize him and then not getting a loving handle on his speech pattern.

I think Yoda's species are just naturally gifted in the force so he lucked out being the most powerful Jedi and got on the council, in actuality he was a huge dumbass.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just Chamber posted:

I think Yoda's species are just naturally gifted in the force so he lucked out being the most powerful Jedi and got on the council, in actuality he was a huge dumbass.

Sheev's the only one that's not a total idiot

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

RBA Starblade posted:

Sheev's the only one that's not a total idiot

I like the idea that Jedi are dumb because to use the Force you have to believe in it, and believing in the Force is dumb. Palpatine is different because he’s ironic about it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

palpatine is an advanced poster

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obi Wan giving Luke his lightsaber: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

Obi Wan examining destroyed sandcrawler: And these blast points, too accurate. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise. Holy poo poo that's some precision blasting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obi Wan giving Luke his lightsaber: This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

Obi Wan examining destroyed sandcrawler: And these blast points, too accurate. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise. Holy poo poo that's some precision blasting

To be fair with the second one, he's saying they managed to hit the broad side of a space barn, which is only a little bit of an exaggeration

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Han Solo: Issuing correction to previous tweet about imperial death star... You do NOT, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to em"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair with the second one, he's saying they managed to hit the broad side of a space barn, which is only a little bit of an exaggeration

Actually you know what's weird about that scene... Why the gently caress did the empire try to frame sandpeople?

LUKE: It looks like Sandpeople did this, all right. Look, here are Gaffi sticks, Bantha tracks. It's just... I never heard of them hitting anything this big before.

(Ben is crouching in the sand studying the tracks.)

BEN: They didn't. But we are meant to think they did. These tracks are side by side. Sandpeople always ride single file to hide there numbers

Was Vader like "Btw while you're looking for droids be sure to frame sandpeople for any murders you have to do. I loving hate those guys they killed my mom"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Actually you know what's weird about that scene... Why the gently caress did the empire try to frame sandpeople?

LUKE: It looks like Sandpeople did this, all right. Look, here are Gaffi sticks, Bantha tracks. It's just... I never heard of them hitting anything this big before.

BEN: They didn't. But we are meant to think they did. These tracks are side by side. Sandpeople always ride single file to hide there numbers

Was Vader like "Btw while you're looking for droids be sure to frame sandpeople for any murders you have to do. I loving hate those guys they killed my mom"

Yeah then like 15 minutes later they're just openly asking people entering a town if they've seen droids?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
local garrison butchering a bunch of farmers might have a bad look, might get them punished from the local government or a commissar or the like.
easy to just blame it on the sandpeoples

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

When you don't want extremely politically damning and strategic intelligence getting out you don't want anyone to get anywhere close to the truth. The Jawas and Lars had to die because they might have seen the plans or even just known that there were plans. But of course having people just turn up dead randomly makes people ask what the hell happened. And someone who investigates might pick up the trail and find out that they were killed to protect plans for a laser moon. So you create an alternate explanation that stops further inquiry. Theres a group of locals out there with a history of violent altercations with everyone else, so you plant some evidence that points to them, and everyone just goes "Oh those Sand People did it" and no one looks further into it because it fits with their preconceived notions.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

honestly I would totally buy this alone. not that it would have worked in a pre-prequel world but whatever

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

honestly I would totally buy this alone. not that it would have worked in a pre-prequel world but whatever

Hell, same

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Stormtrooper grunts chatting in the drop ship about how their boss is incredibly racist and it makes them really uncomfortable

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Stormtrooper grunts chatting in the drop ship about how their boss is incredibly racist and it makes them really uncomfortable

"Don't say the s word in front of him"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cut to sand people nailing potshots on space chariots that move so fast no human can drive em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Vader reciting the same old story he told Padmé every time he's got a bit of free time and asking whatever unfortunate subordinate is listening if they feel triggered yet.