Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/uscpsc/status/1196982532048330752?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Always check your turkey for wooden shoes.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

What the gently caress was he hoping/expecting to happen? "I'll just disconnect this big rolly thing on a hill and hope it won't roll anywhere."

Given the previous jokes, do trailers have similar air brake systems as trains where it should break when disconnected from pressure?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus christ he dives under it for some reason

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Can't forget this classic British Pathé

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfZSEboVM4

Good thing there's a safety hand guard on that modern electric knife.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pseudorandom posted:

What the gently caress was he hoping/expecting to happen? "I'll just disconnect this big rolly thing on a hill and hope it won't roll anywhere."

Given the previous jokes, do trailers have similar air brake systems as trains where it should break when disconnected from pressure?

Yes, the trailer parking brake should lock on with loss of air pressure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SLOSifl posted:

No it’s supposed to fall off and roll away when it’s mature, if I am remembering correctly.

:golfclap:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A hot water pipe in Penza Russia broke and opened up a fairly big sinkhole, full of 75c water.

It was obscured by rising steam, and a Lada drove into it and sank. Two dead.

There's pictures and video out there if you're into that sort of thing.

And if you're like me and was confused by the idea of water mains filled with hot water, sounds like its a Russian thing where they make hot water centrally and pipe it out to homes and businesses for both heating and showering/washing/etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s called district heating.

In the U.S. it’s relatively common on university campuses.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's very common in large, cold, European cities.
It'll be heated by anything from biofuels, to heat waste from power plants, even to heat-recycling from greywater/sewage (via heat pumps.)
(Or in the case of my hometown, heat-exchange with seawater, though this isn't hot water. But rather a tepid glycerine solution to enable heat pumps/ACs to dump/drain their heat from seawater directly, without needing loud ventilation fans for each building/apartment.
And with the ability for the county to do stuff with the waste heat/cold. )

New York City has something similar, though with steam instead of just warm water.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

`Nemesis posted:

they make hot water centrally and pipe it out to homes and businesses for both heating and showering/washing/etc.

It's usually explicitly only for heating, as mentioned, from trash burning or waste heat from power plants, giving them a novel cooling solution and not just wasting the heat. In some cases it's pumped directly into radiators and floor heating, but usually there's a heat exchanger that it passes through to swap the heat into the house's central heating and then it goes on its merry way again. Of course, this central heating water is usually also used for heating your "use water," i.e. shower and taps hot water, but I've never heard of a solution where the water from the plant is directly passed into those applications, that sounds like madness.

It's pretty big in Denmark, at least.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

slinkimalinki posted:

Good thing there's a safety hand guard on that modern electric knife.

Just LOL if you don't use an air chisel to dismember your turkey

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Figured i would hammer this out in the middle of the night but i'm not feeling it. I'll try again after a little sleep. still gonna share the failure :smith:

I've got to figure out how to do it with more obnoxious fonts, and "I'M A TRAINDRIVING TRUCKFUCKLING IRONFORGING BADASS AND I CHANGE FOR NOBODY"

E: V2, still not happy

Powershift fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 20, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

It's usually explicitly only for heating, as mentioned, from trash burning or waste heat from power plants, giving them a novel cooling solution and not just wasting the heat. In some cases it's pumped directly into radiators and floor heating, but usually there's a heat exchanger that it passes through to swap the heat into the house's central heating and then it goes on its merry way again. Of course, this central heating water is usually also used for heating your "use water," i.e. shower and taps hot water, but I've never heard of a solution where the water from the plant is directly passed into those applications, that sounds like madness.

I think some data centers are doing it now too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
A lot of DOE/DOD facilities in the use have it as well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/BDB51wG.mp4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good ole air cusion

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

reminds me of this classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGk7u5Rm7E

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

[nightmare glass]

JESUS. I cringed and covered my eyes with my hands like I was a little kid watching a horror movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a German word that means the feeling of an equal mix of relief and disappointment?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

You do wonder who was the first person to discover this method.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Everybody talking about Colin Furze's nonsense while forgetting that Paleas's attempt to dig under what appears to be a large commercial building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4T_cQpisQ

Now this dude likes to dig.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ähem, gently caress that dude recording the aftermath, very much.

"What? This is a public street!"

Yeesh

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Damnnnnn, yeah you're not just walking that one off

Gore Warning:
https://i.imgur.comqwgvkoh.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 21, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I saw that going differently, in my mind.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
maybe :nms: that partially severed finger screencap

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I knew I could do it safely and the space would be mine, I'd probably get reaaaaal into digging.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
WTF is it with people in this thread not tagging things.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Piss Protective Equipment

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 20, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
should put up a sign that says 'if you don't wear PPE then urine trouble'

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How much water do you make them drink before testing?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Double post

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PPE is stored in the balls.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wear the PPE when you peepee.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hi I'm here to be cockwatch.

Yeah, you can poo poo but leave the door open.

Wait, I need my glasses

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The balls, only designed to store pee, quickly degraded when filled with molten phenol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

You do wonder who was the first person to discover this method.

And how many tries it took.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Volcott posted:

The balls, only designed to store pee, quickly degraded when filled with molten phenol.

Had a classmate who got phenol exposure. He told the story basically saying that he was certain he would get cancer as a result. The plant he was working at gave you a choice when hooking up the train car to be filled, you either get a face shield or you get a respirator, not both. He chose the face shield. Well the linkage in the hookup to fill (maybe empty) the train car full of phenol failed and blew off blasting him in the face. He said his only saving grace was to tuck his chin and cover up his face (an old baseball reflex), but got totally coated in the stuff. Anyway, never work in chemical plants unless you're the evil owner in their bunker or whatever.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

haveblue posted:

Is there a German word that means the feeling of an equal mix of relief and disappointment?

Orgasmus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PathAsc posted:

Hi I'm here to be cockwatch.

Yeah, you can poo poo but leave the door open.

Wait, I need my glasses

Make sure you always follow COTO protocol