Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

I dont see -20 on there. :spergin:

It’s there in Celsius.

Maybe he’s British and uses Fahrenheit for highs and Celsius for lows. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

stealie72 posted:

But either way. Idiot needs to bury his shitpipe deeper.

The problem isn't so much the sewage pipe, it's the fresh water pipe. That fucker's pretty likely to burst because the cold WILL get that deep.

1.5m is the depth recommendation for Denmark, and we rarely get -20C, -10C is the worst it usually gets(pre-windchill).

So yeah, if that fucker doesn't burst from frost within three years, I'll be drat surprised.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

The problem isn't so much the sewage pipe, it's the fresh water pipe. That fucker's pretty likely to burst because the cold WILL get that deep.

1.5m is the depth recommendation for Denmark, and we rarely get -20C, -10C is the worst it usually gets(pre-windchill).

So yeah, if that fucker doesn't burst from frost within three years, I'll be drat surprised.

Bursting is the good option here. The bad option is that the water pipe and poo poo pipe just crack and leak all over each other for a few years.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bursting is the good option here. The bad option is that the water pipe and poo poo pipe just crack and leak all over each other for a few years.

Artisanal self moisturizing compost bog?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Also just the fact that there should be several feet of separation between the sewer and potable water pipes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Isn't alot of the whole tiny house on those lovely RV frames/trailers just because most municipalities won't let you build houses under 800sqft anymore?

I really want to get a little land and put a cabin on it and it would only need to be about the size of one of those tiny houses but like I don't want it on wheels.

Yeah.

You also don't have to pay property taxes on them.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

Isn't alot of the whole tiny house on those lovely RV frames/trailers just because most municipalities won't let you build houses under 800sqft anymore?

I really want to get a little land and put a cabin on it and it would only need to be about the size of one of those tiny houses but like I don't want it on wheels.

The most recent International Building Code allows for *most* tiny houses (bedroom minimum 70sf, forgot what bathroom minimum is but it's nothing crazy) but the local codes can be more restrictive. Also subdivisions and HOAs often have ridiculous minimum square footage and many banks won't do mortgages on 1-bedroom houses.

However, a big reason why people build tiny houses on trailers is to avoid having to follow any building codes at all. Even without the size limitations, the ladders, lack of loft egress, composting toilets, etc. in many of them wouldn't fly. There are some well-built tiny houses but a lot of deathtraps as well.

Here is a good, fully permitted tiny-ish house on a foundation in rural Georgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ47z67L4l8.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Youth Decay posted:

Here is a good, fully permitted tiny-ish house on a foundation in rural Georgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ47z67L4l8.

That sink is bad. It shouldn’t be divided.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

These fuckers basically forced my hand to get a big ol' silver maple chopped down. They would hang out all day and gorge themselves on the maple sap excreting 'honeydew' (sticky sugar sap poo poo) on anything under the tree.
I've noticed that with all the 'smash' campaigns where people try to remove the infestations and egg pods, that natural selection seems to have selected for lantern flies that lay their eggs near the top of trees, where they can't be treated easily.

Rest of the non-Pennsylvania US: Remember when we were telling you about how stinkbugs suck and you didn't yet know what they are... get ready to meet these things in a few years.

We bought our house midsummer in 2018, and no one explained the SLF issue up front, and I was appalled at the hordes of these things on our few trees. So I did some research over the winter, and the PSU Extension has a good resource site. I looked at https://extension.psu.edu/spotted-lanternfly-management-for-homeowners and compared it to what I could buy and safely use. I appropriately mixed dinotefuran and treated our trees, and it cut down on the insects a TON. I also waited until after things flowered, etc, etc, etc.

Montgomery County was a wasteland of dead insects everywhere for a while. Ew.

There's some neat research coming out of PSU and Cornell on ways to address this, including a natural fungus from NY that already exists in their vineyards.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is what the locals told me was why you can't drink the water when I was working in Mexico City. They laid the inflow and outflow pipes shittily and on the same sides of the street when they were developing the city, and of course never did proper maintenance or fixes. All the pipes have cracks and the poo poo water mixes with the tap water and voila, cholera.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Youth Decay posted:

That's quite good, but when I think "places that need to embrace good, cheap, small houses", I'm not sure rural Georgia (where land is presumably cheap and population density is low) springs to mind.

Tiny house projects seem way more interesting when they're done in areas where home ownership is generally only a dream for most people due to extremely high cost of living or very small amount of space.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

We bought our house midsummer in 2018, and no one explained the SLF issue up front, and I was appalled at the hordes of these things on our few trees. So I did some research over the winter, and the PSU Extension has a good resource site. I looked at https://extension.psu.edu/spotted-lanternfly-management-for-homeowners and compared it to what I could buy and safely use. I appropriately mixed dinotefuran and treated our trees, and it cut down on the insects a TON. I also waited until after things flowered, etc, etc, etc.

And for anyone with SLF and/or EAB: keep checking regularly. The research is ongoing and recommendations change. Use the reporting tool for SLF to tell them where you've found SLF. Follow the schedule of when to do things. Just order your tree bands now so you've got them for the spring.

For the maples at my friends houses I was spraying Talstar (bifenthrin) this year. It was lasting at least a couple of weeks, and I was using very little per tree. I did have to dig out a different set of nozzles for the backpack sprayer to attempt to get it further up the trunk, which meant I was in a bunny suit, eyepro and a respirator. Suiting up and waiting for it to try/getting back out of the gear took longer than the treatments but ya know, neurotoxins and all, so it's time well spent.

Edit: :siren: DO NOT USE bifenthrin if you have cats around that may be outdoors before the treatment can fully dry. :siren: They are missing an enzyme that most other mammals have (to break it down) and it will kill them very quickly if they get into it.

I guess I should start a pesticide/invasive species thread.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 21, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tiny House Minnesota Style.

Or do it Quebec style with power and everything.

The lack of building codes is the biggest driver I see for people I know interested in Tiny House. The above YouTube link that Youth Decay shows a good, proper, house but it's $78,000. These people want a TinyHouse for under $10k. All I need to do to see the logical outcome is drive around and see the ice shacks people build near me. Truck caps for roofs. Plastic sheeting for walls. Pallet wood loving everything. At least a home has resale value, I can't imagine someones 400 sqft portable fart box is going to have much value in 20 years.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

The lack of building codes is the biggest driver I see for people I know interested in Tiny House. The above YouTube link that Youth Decay shows a good, proper, house but it's $78,000. These people want a TinyHouse for under $10k. All I need to do to see the logical outcome is drive around and see the ice shacks people build near me. Truck caps for roofs. Plastic sheeting for walls. Pallet wood loving everything. At least a home has resale value, I can't imagine someones 400 sqft portable fart box is going to have much value in 20 years.

lmao that's literally shanties.

Edit: Added quote.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 21, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea I was going to say 'Tiny House' is just more rebranding on age-old solutions like 'living in a shanty', just like we have 'Coliving Solutions' instead of 'bunkhouses' and 'gig economy' instead of 'day labor'

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
That looks more like ice fishing huts, honestly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

That looks more like ice fishing huts, honestly.

It is. That area is famous for running power to ice fishing shacks.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Yooper posted:

Or do it Quebec style with power and everything.

All I hear is the Trailer Park Boys theme

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a bunch of grover house pics. I didn't follow the thread at the time so some are new to me.

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1197999531671130112?s=19

lol the ducts.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh my God I never saw those loving ducts. Goddamn.

Why the gently caress would you do that poo poo in flex ducts? That loses you a bunch of power and makes the whole thing noisier. Unless of course you're just too lazy and/or stupid to calculate what firm ducting you need ahead of time and actually get the appropriate parts...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1198016834827628544

weird flex but ok

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1198051136877539328?s=20

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is it just going to be thirty minutes of continuous laughter until they all pass out?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1198001407107960834

I finally understand :grovertoot:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Plastik posted:

You do realise that the Tiny House Movement is and was a way to minimize housing costs, right? Like you're railing against poor people for not being able to afford homes?

Yeah they suck, but you can build a tiny house for under $20k (assuming you can do the skilled labor of carpentry and electric yourself) and transport it yourself, then park them three to a traditional trailer lot and end up paying under $300/mo for what is effectively a shittier studio apartment. With the massively overinflated housing market costs that's less than you'd pay for half a bedroom in a shared living arrangement here in sunny Orlando.

The fad was lovely, yes, because it was just an exercise for the extremely rich, like next-level glamping, but Tiny Houses fill a legitimate need and the only reason they were so popular in the early 2010s is because we were in an employment crisis and people were working 3 jobs just to get 40 hours a week at ~$10/hr. Now that those times seem to be over people aren't talking about Tiny Houses as much anymore.

For 20k you can also find a used 3br/2ba single-wide, so I still don’t see how tiny houses are anything but manufactured homes for the instagram/youtube set.

Also how do you get a splitter on the water/sewer hookup to fit 3 on a pad?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

This is one of the easier parts of plumbing, believe it or not.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is one of the easier parts of plumbing, believe it or not.

Florida too I guess, I was thinking places where it freezes.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

crazypeltast52 posted:

For 20k you can also find a used 3br/2ba single-wide, so I still don’t see how tiny houses are anything but manufactured homes for the instagram/youtube set.

Its a fad. They are "new" and "interesting" so people want to pay that premium to not have space.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

crazypeltast52 posted:

Probably stigma of living in a trailer park.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

crazypeltast52 posted:

That's not the entire picture, but it's a fair assessment of a major driving force behind them, which is smaller homes that don't look poor and old fashioned like mobile homes and RVs do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

That's not the entire picture, but it's a fair assessment of a major driving force behind them, which is smaller homes that don't look poor and old fashioned like mobile homes and RVs do.

Also the fun of having a fort with a loft bed and stuff. It's a treehouse for grownups.

After decades of poverty mocking there's nothing fun about a trailer park.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Facebook Aunt posted:

After decades of poverty mocking there's nothing fun about a trailer park.

So you're telling me Trailer Park Boys *isn't* a documentary?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A cafe/teppanyaki restaurant in my town, lmao.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I feel there's absolutely a classist element to all the Tiny House stuff, "the only people who live in trailer parks are like, poor people who drink malt liquor" and all that, so you call it a "tiny house" instead so it's quirky and hip instead and appeals to young people with middle-class backgrounds and college degrees.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

C.M. Kruger posted:

I feel there's absolutely a classist element to all the Tiny House stuff, "the only people who live in trailer parks are like, poor people who drink malt liquor" and all that, so you call it a "tiny house" instead so it's quirky and hip instead and appeals to young people with middle-class backgrounds and college degrees.

What sort of College degrees? They type with no prospects of employment?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

What sort of College degrees? They type with no prospects of employment?

But you repeat yourself

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

C.M. Kruger posted:

Tiny house hipsters get the most publicity (young attractive white people get clicks) but there are also many individuals on fixed incomes, single mothers, and the underemployed who are attracted to the idea of having a well-built, cute little house that they can afford to own. They don't want a trailer because mobile homes are poorly built and generally look like ugly vinyl boxes. These people seem to make most of the positive comments on the videos of the tiny house hipsters.

Basically it's a product of the current housing situation in the US, which is that The Rent (and Mortgage) is Too drat High.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jaded Burnout posted:

I finally understand :grovertoot:

I always thought it was because he was tooting his own horn over building his house himself.

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut posted:

A cafe/teppanyaki restaurant in my town, lmao.

hows the food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

crazypeltast52 posted:

Not if you're going to try and get a mortgage on it, because you don't have 20k just sitting around in your bank. Source: tried to get a mortgage for a used trailer, rather than having to buy a brand-new one, and watched the bank rep do their level best not to just laugh me and my then-partner out of the room. Followed by them giving us a pamphlet for the brand of trailers that bank prefers working with.