Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop. Discussion here and in the backer forums is fundamentally unchanged from one, two, or three years ago. It's the same points over and over except the numbers keep going up.
there's always a lull like this before the tipping point hits. that point could actually tip them either way; release something good that finally allows them to make some real money, or finally go on life support and with a handful of players continuing to throw a few million at Roberts every year for dreams. now normally, this cycle would have collapsed already and obviously it doesn't have to be mentioned here, but the only reason CIG stayed afloat in 2018 was from a nearly $50m outside investment. somehow, beyond all rationality, they've continued to avoid going under

however, they owe a lot of people a lot of loving money. Sq42 is really their only hope at this point. a release on next gen consoles that could push ten million plus units would save the company. I don't expect that announcement at this year's citcon, but deffo in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you obviously need to continue to milk these stupid rear end pc players for everything they have so you can finally get to where the richest of all money is at: consoles and the mobile market

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

It'll continue like this for quite some time yet. It's literally a really dumb 'groundhog day' style scenario, we are all just turning up every day to see the little bastard pop his head out, but it never does.

The longer it goes on, the more I think that it's all going to eventually end in a really messy way and people are not going to be very happy at all with CInotG.

that is exactly how i feel each day reading this thread

another thing: someone mentioned the funding tracker and how it only goes up and up. on the other hand the seats during citcon are less and less each year. the thing that i am eager to see most is how many people will be there. iirc last year there were many empty seats.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its funny how this idiot makes fun of stupid “insecure brads“ (again and again) but its him typing away on his keyboard page after page...

...about a vidjagame

...which is totally grown-up behavior

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop. Discussion here and in the backer forums is fundamentally unchanged from one, two, or three years ago. It's the same points over and over except the numbers keep going up.

But in all this time SC is still not finished while we're currently in the 8th sequel of the thread.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I know I say this a lot, but that's gotta be a Goon troll account.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

But in all this time SC is still not finished while we're currently in the 8th sequel of the thread.

Uhhh they are actually making SC2 already. Play it now. Referral code MYTIG-HTAS-SHOLE

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They’ll always just endlessly move the goal posts.

On the one end, you can always count pre-production times all the way back to when a game was first vaguely spoken of in a corporate pitch meeting. On the other, you can just say that S.C. was only really in development since some arbitrary point when CIG hit X number of employees, or the scope ballooned.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Reading that this guy keeps saying “little boy” is kind of making my skin crawl.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumble He posted:

that is exactly how i feel each day reading this thread

another thing: someone mentioned the funding tracker and how it only goes up and up. on the other hand the seats during citcon are less and less each year. the thing that i am eager to see most is how many people will be there. iirc last year there were many empty seats.

Didn't last year's CitizenCon move to a noticably larger space than the year before and take place in the middle of the week, right in between two big festivals? That might have skewed the numbers and make it hard to say what would otherwise have happened.

TheAgent posted:

Uhhh they are actually making SC2 already. Play it now. Referral code MYTIG-HTAS-SHOLE

STAR-R1NG-MA3DE-MM1NG

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dragonrah posted:

Reading that this guy keeps saying “little boy” is kind of making my skin crawl.

Extremely german energy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Didn't last year's CitizenCon move to a noticably larger space than the year before and take place in the middle of the week, right in between two big festivals? That might have skewed the numbers and make it hard to say what would otherwise have happened.
last year's citcon was a total loving disaster, with a 60% capacity turnout for a very expensive venue in Texas

this year is much smaller and will be packed full of European backers just ready to get their crobbo on

partly because their high end backers are from the EU and partly because the venue holds nearly 50% less

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen: The numbers keep going up

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

last year's citcon was a total loving disaster, with a 60% capacity turnout for a very expensive venue in Texas

this year is much smaller and will be packed full of European backers just ready to get their crobbo on

partly because their high end backers are from the EU and partly because the venue holds nearly 50% less

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viscous Soda posted:

I know I say this a lot, but that's gotta be a Goon troll account.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ubisoft is apparently challenging CIG's leadership in mocap. Quick, someone call Chris and tell him to record some more ASAP! :D
https://twitter.com/nakamura193/status/1197290915456524289

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is your reminder that dova was literally writing their weekly newsletters and got caught and no one gave a single poo poo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

this is your reminder that dova was literally writing their weekly newsletters and got caught and no one gave a single poo poo

Forbes strikes again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/11/18/google-stadia-launch-review-a-technical-conceptual-disaster/

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
who

Sarsapariller posted:

here's an extremely well done and award winning graph that took me 6 and a half hours to make that represents the sentiment regarding this thread and star citizen in general

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/SpearmintVR/status/1197227176631902208

Chairman's Club: Pants not required included.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah man next buy some Roberts steaks and maybe go to a.Roberts golf course or something

the gently caress. how do people tie their loving personal identities to this poo poo

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

the gently caress. how do people tie their loving personal identities to this poo poo

Because the alternative is owning who they are.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is the artist formerly known as cliffy miku or whatever right

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tippis posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop. Discussion here and in the backer forums is fundamentally unchanged from one, two, or three years ago. It's the same points over and over except the numbers keep going

But in all this time SC is still not finished while we're currently in the 7th sequel of the thread.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Awesome! posted:

this is the artist formerly known as cliffy miku or whatever right

(Clifford-aka-Miku)-aka-SpearmintVR

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

what do you mean

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

what do you mean
er_dova wrote content for CIG for their weekly news poo poo. That's about it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

while in on all expenses paid vacation that is... assumed to be paid for by CIG so he could lounge by the pool while writing

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I hope he did it for free, while a third party was paid, ala "The Three Stooges" formerly known as I forget now.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The sheer number of times the "citizens" in those reddit threads seem to lose all self control and yell something along the lines of "insecure little brat" to just about anyone who doesn't conform to the "shower CInotG with constant praise" mantra, makes me think maybe, just maybe, they are very broken people.

I honestly, at this point, am not sure to point and laugh at them, or just feel a tremendous sense of pity watching them cling to an unfinished computer game as if it's the best thing the world has ever seen. I'd say it was a massive waste of humanity to see them so angry at everyone who have different views over a computer game, but then in comes Mirificus reminding me that; gently caress those dumbass "Star citizens", if they haven't worked out what a joke/parody CR/CInotG is by now then there's no helping them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Red Dead 2 only entered full-time production in 2013, when GTA V shipped. A game full of gratuitous time-wasting details like heat-sensitive horse balls and 200+ unique animations, and it still shipped and turned a profit.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Red Dead 2 only entered full-time production in 2013, when GTA V shipped. A game full of gratuitous time-wasting details like heat-sensitive horse balls and 200+ unique animations, and it still shipped and turned a profit.

Fantastic game made by incredibly competent people. I think I read somewhere that it had earned itself nearly 200 games/entertainment industry awards during it's first few months after releasing.

Then I also remember CR making the incredibly dumb statement that "maybe Rockstar could match CIG for quality" and then I just about piss myself laughing. :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

I think that's why space games are best handled by not really allowing you to do anything "on-foot" on planets. Conceptually it's a cool idea to expand beyond "you're a spaceship" to "you're a person in a spaceship" but it creates expectations for on-foot content that are almost impossible to meet. I can imagine some really tightly-controlled on-foot segments for set-piece story segments or ship boarding actions or something but what value is really added by letting you walk around a "living" city vs. quickly accessing quests from people via menus?

This is sort of what Mass Effect did, you couldn't just go wherever you wanted on-foot because that would have been stupid and pointless. They had limited areas where you could talk to NPCs for story purposes and all the combat missions dropped you right into the interesting part, you weren't slogging your way across planets and space in real-time.

I can't even comprehend how much money they have blown in relation to this whole idea of making everything 'fidelitious' when it would have been cheaper to do it in a Mass Effect-ish way and it would also be a way better game.

This, except you're using CryEngine which is designed for great first and third person games and not huge space fighting. Then as you go along you realize there are not a lot of tutorials on how to do a space game but reinventing an FPS game in an FPS engine turns out to be pretty simple. Your staff is comprised of professional artists and college kids working to get a CS or MIS degree.

The result is a pretty fantastic looking game (back in the day), and amazing marketing renders and photoshops, combined with janky at best gameplay that is plagued with horrible bugs that likely will never be fixed because nobody has that kind of skill or knowledge on the team.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

He's also the dude who had an absolutely insane meltdown and I think deleted his account because I was following him around as 'Er__Dova' and apologizing to everyone he was being an rear end in a top hat to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only Cryengine game I've beaten is Prey and its art-direction is far more notable than anything technical it accomplishes with the engine. Since CIG isn't making another System Shock they're down one potential customer.

I have no idea how that open-world peasant game fared on the engine. I didn't buy it because I found its developers rather suspect politically, and because it has a lovely save-system.

I have no idea why it was such a priority to add FPS gameplay first thing to a space-sim. It's not a unique loving selling-point that you can run around and shoot people in this universe. Warframe didn't try experimenting with the Guitar Hero minigame until after they polished the whole robot-ninja gameplay.

I also meant to say there's 200+ unique animations for skinning alone in Red Dead 2.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mirificus posted:

This got dark real fast. :gonk:

All this except imagine you just press a button and respawn and realize your real punishment is the respawn time on your ship for 7 minutes so you go play some other more fun games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Looking back at the raffle spreadsheets, this thread has given more game than Star Citizen has.

We must thank CR for bringing us together around the dumpster fire.

Lets gets drunk and goondeyadda as CitizenCon streams.

In 2016, Sandweed won a copy of Hellblade (courtesy of TheAgent) with the guess of 7.4M raised

Stuff i've scraped so far: (tell me if yours is missing)
Agony Aunt I'm going for a cool 260 million.
Jobbo_Fett 247,861,935
Dogeh $262, 426, 969
monkeytek $248,424,242
Bubbacub $247,696,969
Quavers $250,424,242
spacetoaster 1$
Thoatse 247,420,069
his nibs $265,227,605
Baxta 258,522,420
Kosumo $248,457,941 (Just like Chris Roberts game design, I too pulled it out of my rear end)
Zaphod42 1m
Koil $251,947,069
jarlywarly $255,328,603
Jonny Shiloh $261,135,996 +/- $1
Sanya Juutilainen 255,420,069
Mr.PayDay so I am going with $252,020,24.
Peter.Quint $254,603,497
UnknownTarget 250,000,000
precision $255,743,119
Zazz Razzamatazz $267,999,999
Bofast $267,593,481
Inacio 258,000,000
GoingPostal $258,895,345 in successful jpeg sales.
Viscous Soda $242,779,811.99
TheAgent $246,948,655
AutismVaccine 252,080,085
Spatial 246,512,768
h3isenbug 256,789,012
Sabreseven $248,902,021
Dragonrah $253,769,823
Ponzi $265,000,000
Zzr $251,227,605