Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

euphronius posted:

He literally stands up mid stage and soliloquies about how hope is the only thing he fears and lmao that’s what does him in

Uh, Snoke doesn't say anything like this. Between this and the 'the Resistance has no uniforms' guy, it makes sense that people defend these films because they're just... imagining things.

Here is what Snoke says:

quote:

SNOKE: Come closer, child. So much strength. Darkness rises, and light to meet it. I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise. Skywalker... I assumed. Wrongly. Closer, I said.

SNOKE: Oh... have you seen something? A weakness in my apprentice. Is that why you came? Young fool. It was I who bridged your minds. I stoked Ren's conflicted soul. I knew he was not strong enough to hide it from you. And you were not wise enough to resist the bait. And now, you will give me Skywalker. Then I will kill you with the cruelest stroke.

SNOKE: Yes. Give me everything.

SNOKE: Well, well, I did not expect Skywalker to be so wise. We will give him and the Jedi Order the death he desires. After the Rebels are gone, we will go to his planet and obliterate the entire island. Such spunk. Look here now. The entire Resistance on those transports. Soon they will all be gone. For you, all is lost. Ooh. And still that fiery spirit of hope. You have the spirit of a true Jedi! And because of that, you must die. My worthy apprentice, son of darkness, heir apparent to Lord Vader. Where there was conflict, I now sense resolve. Where there was weakness, strength. Complete your training, and fulfill your destiny.

SNOKE: You think you can turn him? Pathetic child. I cannot be betrayed, I cannot be beaten. I see his mind, I see his every intent. Yes. I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true. And now, foolish child, he ignites it, and kills his true enemy!

He's not scared of hope. If anything, he's contemptuous of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Uh, Snoke doesn't say anything like this. Between this and the 'the Resistance has no uniforms' guy, it makes sense that people defend these films because they're just... imagining things.

Here is what Snoke says:

He's not scared of hope. If anything, he's contemptuous of it.

Earlier than that

At the beginning of the movie

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

Earlier than that

At the beginning of the movie

Do you mean this line?

quote:

SNOKE: Skywalker lives. The seed of the Jedi Order lives. As long as it does, hope lives in the galaxy. I thought you would be the one to snuff it out. Alas, you're no Vader. You're just a child in a mask.

Still no fear.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

But for Rey he’d still be alive

She’s a proximate cause of his death

That’s what he was referring to about hope . He predicts his own death

Kylo's a mad dog that was definitely going to kill his master at some point. If it wasn't Rey it would have been something else

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If he’s not afraid why does he even care

Come on. Make inferences

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Kylo's a mad dog that was definitely going to kill his master at some point. If it wasn't Rey it would have been something else

Yes if you imagine a different movie

I’m talking about this movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

But for Rey he’d still be alive

She’s a proximate cause of his death

That’s what he was referring to about hope . He predicts his own death

so kylo kills snoke because of reyhope but then immediately afterwards reyhope rejects him because he lacks reyhope

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

If he’s not afraid why does he even care

Come on. Make inferences

If he's afraid of Skywalker, how come his plan to find him consists of 'do basically nothing' and why does he speak of hope with contempt? People aren't afraid of things they hold contempt for.

Why does Snoke even care is precisely the thought you should be having, given how Luke was going to hang on that planet until he died anyway.

Come on. Watch the movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
He's not afraid of hope, he just needs to kill it in order to finally solve the Anti-Life Equation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

so kylo kills snoke because of reyhope but then immediately afterwards reyhope rejects him because he lacks reyhope

Yes, yes

He’s not a good dude. He def hosed up the follow through there

He knows it too as evidenced by his complete loving breakdown through out the rest of the movie

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

Yes if you imagine a different movie

I’m talking about this movie

it's real hard to tell sometimes, your version of events of TLJ rarely matches up with what actually happened

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

If he's afraid of Skywalker, how come his plan to find him consists of 'do basically nothing' and why does he speak of hope with contempt? People aren't afraid of things they hold contempt for.

Why does Snoke even care is precisely the thought you should be having, given how Luke was going to hang on that planet until he died anyway.

Come on. Watch the movie.

??

His whole motivation is find and kill skykwalker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

it's real hard to tell sometimes, your version of events of TLJ rarely matches up with what actually happened

Fair enough

I’ve seen it like 40 times I don’t think I’m misremembering things but maybe

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Yes, yes

He’s not a good dude. He def hosed up the follow through there

He knows it too as evidenced by his complete loving breakdown through out the rest of the movie

you're making about as much sense as TLJ did

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I thought he was just taking the Brick Tamland approach to space sorcery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

you're making about as much sense as TLJ did

What are you confused about

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

What are you confused about

if kylo kills snoke because of hope why does the avatar of hope immediately reject him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

if kylo kills snoke because of hope why does the avatar of hope immediately reject him

Rey does not immediately reject Ren

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

alright if you wanna be pedantic about it they murk some guards and then she rejects him

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

??

His whole motivation is find and kill skykwalker

Okay, but why?

Skywalker has gone into exile. His school is lost, his students dead (or converted), and the Jedi seem to have faded back into myth and legend. No one knows where Luke is, no one knows what he's doing. What we find out as an audience member is that Luke has gone to Ach-To in exile, seemingly to wait out his days and die. He's even cut himself off from the Force. At this point, Snoke has won. It's not like Snoke is particularly concerned or scared or paranoid about Skywalker. He wants to kill him to snuff out hope, whatever that means, but Luke isn't exactly a hopeful dude we meet him and he hardly inspires Rey to deal with Snoke. Snoke setting up the Force Skype is what killed Snoke.

Besides, that's not motivation - that's a goal. Motivation is what gives Snoke that goal, and 'I want to kill the concept of hope' isn't motivation because it's meaningless.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

she rejects him less than a minute later

are you really going to resort to pedantics now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

alright if you wanna be pedantic about it they murk some guards and then she rejects him

She doesn’t reject him until he claims the Sith throne

Her Hope in Ren leads her to reject luke and make a seemingly suicide mission to Ren (she literally arrives in a coffin) where he accepts her Initially which leads to the throne room scene where she inspires Ren to kills Snoke

Then Ren goes bad because he’s an evil piece of poo poo a the end of it all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

she rejects him less than a minute later

are you really going to resort to pedantics now

Something important happens in the intervening moments

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

She doesn’t reject him until he claims the Sith throne

Snoke and Ren aren't Sith.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve read a bunch how Star Wars movies do very poorly in China, compared to most other American major franchises

I think they simply do not have the cultural nostalgia other Western countries do towards Star Wars and god knows how much that franchise relies on nostalgia as a selling point.

Other franchises like F&F, Transformers, the MCU and Avatar really came to prominence during Chinas big theater expansion so for a large portion of their population these are the first American franchises they feel a part of.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

aren't the sith one of the explicit things kylo brings up as a part of the past he wants to get rid of

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Okay, but why?

Skywalker has gone into exile. His school is lost, his students dead (or converted), and the Jedi seem to have faded back into myth and legend. No one knows where Luke is, no one knows what he's doing. What we find out as an audience member is that Luke has gone to Ach-To in exile, seemingly to wait out his days and die. He's even cut himself off from the Force. At this point, Snoke has won. It's not like Snoke is particularly concerned or scared or paranoid about Skywalker. He wants to kill him to snuff out hope, whatever that means, but Luke isn't exactly a hopeful dude we meet him and he hardly inspires Rey to deal with Snoke. Snoke setting up the Force Skype is what killed Snoke.

Besides, that's not motivation - that's a goal. Motivation is what gives Snoke that goal, and 'I want to kill the concept of hope' isn't motivation because it's meaningless.

He wants to kill luke not only to snuff out generalized hope but becuase he foresees his own death through luke which happens

The force Skype was Greek tragedy. His own hubris took him down

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Snoke and Ren aren't Sith.

It’s literally stated in the movie

It’s not even like an inference on my part although it also is a fact based on inference

Jesus Christ the movie has been out for years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

aren't the sith one of the explicit things kylo brings up as a part of the past he wants to get rid of

Sales pitch to Rey

He didn’t believe it and she didn’t buy it

Two minutes later he’s a Sith Lord in charge of the first order.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this is the worst smg cosplay i’ve ever seen

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

It’s not even like an inference on my part although it also is a fact based on inference

Okay, well, you might want to tell the boffins at Wookieepedia.

quote:

Snoke, a Force-sensitive humanoid alien male, was a mysterious being who rose to power as Supreme Leader of the First Order during the New Republic Era. Although he was a master of the dark side of the Force, Snoke was not a member of the Sith Order, which became extinct as a result of the deaths of the last two Sith Lords, Darth Sidious and Darth Vader.

And JJ Abrams:

quote:

"Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force."

And Andy Serkis:

quote:

"He’s [Snoke] definitely not a Sith, but he’s certainly at the darker end of the Force. Without giving too much away, that begins to unfold a little in this one."

Maybe you can provide the literal statement in TLJ?

euphronius posted:

He wants to kill luke not only to snuff out generalized hope but becuase he foresees his own death through luke which happens

I'm sorry? When does Snoke claim he's foreseen his death through Luke? What're you talking about? Snoke can't even foresee Kylo Ren killing his 'true enemy!'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Sales pitch to Rey

He didn’t believe it and she didn’t buy it

Two minutes later he’s a Sith Lord in charge of the first order.

oh well if we're just making up that characters are lying despite zero evidence

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quoting Wikipedia ok whatever

What is a Sith ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

oh well if we're just making up that characters are lying despite zero evidence

??

He wants to destroy the Sith (he claims) and then 100% acts like a Sith ?

Maybe he was lying ?

Maybe evil people lie ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow who else asked people to join them to take over the universe

What kind of character is that. Hmm. No relevant character that I can think of

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

??

He wants to destroy the Sith (he claims) and then 100% acts like a Sith ?

Maybe he was lying ?

Maybe evil people lie ?

he's not lying, he's always honest with rey. you're trying to reconcile the shitiness of the writing in the third act by just throwing your hands up the same way people mad that rey was a nobody with 'welp kylo must be lying despite zero indication of any dishonesty!'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

Quoting Wikipedia ok whatever

What is a Sith ?

Look, if the Wookieepedia guys say 'he's not a Sith' then he's probably not a Sith. Those guys tend to be pretty obsessive about getting things right. Like, if there was a quote where Snoke said he's a Sith then they probably wouldn't say he's not a Sith in the opening abstract of his article.

A Sith a specific form of dark side Force user. They have specific traditions, such as the Rule of Two with one Master and one Apprentice, and ritualized ascendancy by the latter betraying the former. Another of these traditions is a Sith name and usage of the title 'Darth'. For example, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Darth Tyrannus. Every Sith we meet across six films has the title Darth. Ben Solo took on the name 'Kylo Ren' and Snoke seemingly didn't take one at all.

euphronius posted:

So, provide this literal statement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Look, if the Wookieepedia guys say 'he's not a Sith' then he's probably not a Sith. Those guys tend to be pretty obsessive about getting things right. Like, if there was a quote where Snoke said he's a Sith then they probably wouldn't say he's not a Sith in the opening abstract of his article.

A Sith a specific form of dark side Force user. They have specific traditions, such as the Rule of Two with one Master and one Apprentice, and ritualized ascendancy by the latter betraying the former. Another of these traditions is a Sith name and usage of the title 'Darth'. For example, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Darth Tyrannus. Every Sith we meet across six films has the title Darth. Ben Solo took on the name 'Kylo Ren' and Snoke seemingly didn't take one at all.

[quote="Horizon Burning" post="500182631"]

Ren says it. It doesn’t matter tho . if you are hung up on wookiepeida nothing I say or the movie says will convince you

Like a literally Sith Lord worshiping a Sith Lord referring to himself as Sith and you are looking at wookioedia

What ever . Fine He’s not Sith . He’s Sith-like

Ok so instead of Sith imagine I said Sith-like

Are you happy

Sith-like

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius posted:

Ren says it. It doesn’t matter tho . if you are hung up on wookiepeida nothing I say or the movie says will convince you

Like a literally Sith Lord worshiping a Sith Lord referring to himself as Sith and you are looking at wookioedia

What ever . Fine He’s not Sith . He’s Sith-like

Ok so instead of Sith imagine I said Sith-like

Are you happy

Sith-like

Euphronius, if I put on a fancy suit and adopt a bad Italian accent when I go out to rob a bank, does this make me a member of the Mafia?

Look, you're the one who said there's a literal statement of Snoke and/or Kylo Ren's specific allegiance to the Sith. Provide it. I'll give you a hint: there's exactly one line mentioning the word Sith in The Last Jedi, and it doesn't say what you think it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'll win if I just keep posting, I will! I'll show them all