Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I shouldn’t even be here anymore tbh I’m probably trading my bike for a raft this spring. Anyone interested in starting a paddle asylum??

Paddle Asylum is our BDSM subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Paddle Asylum is our BDSM subforum.

Oh good, I was wondering what a

was.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

I shouldn’t even be here anymore tbh I’m probably trading my bike for a raft this spring. Anyone interested in starting a paddle asylum??

miss u nsap

I'll raftchat. The whitewater thread is just n8r and other people circle jerking about kayaking though.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Oh. I thought that might be a good idea, but I pretty much only kayak too. If it helps, I'm even more of an idiot when it comes to paddling than it does to riding. Might give you something else to berate, nsaP.

Sorry about the snark earlier. I know being a dick is your thing, but I was exhausted and lacked patience for appropriate decorum.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Your only mistake was apologizing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A mate has convinced me to go for a leisurely ride in the near future, despite the police's holiday-'horror'-heightened erection for tickets (literally advertising that EVEN 4KM/H OVER WILL BE PUNISHED, PEASANT). My already perilous license situation keeps me voluntarily contained to the local roads I know really well, but those aren't enough for a decent day's riding.

After some conversation he insisted that 'swarming with gestapo' isn't a valid reason to avoid the fun roads and his sound reasoning of just grabbing the slowest bike available prevailed on me.

Time to lose my license!

It's me I'm the jaded biker dude.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Slavvy posted:

advertising that EVEN 4KM/H OVER WILL BE PUNISHED, PEASANT

On the other side of the Tasman, our police are much more mild - over here its "dangerous hoons" and well balanced educational efforts... wait, I mean scare mongering, a 365 days a year zero tolerance policy, and camo netted speed camera emplacements.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

A mate has convinced me to go for a leisurely ride in the near future, despite the police's holiday-'horror'-heightened erection for tickets (literally advertising that EVEN 4KM/H OVER WILL BE PUNISHED, PEASANT). My already perilous license situation keeps me voluntarily contained to the local roads I know really well, but those aren't enough for a decent day's riding.

After some conversation he insisted that 'swarming with gestapo' isn't a valid reason to avoid the fun roads and his sound reasoning of just grabbing the slowest bike available prevailed on me.

Time to lose my license!

It's me I'm the jaded biker dude.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that the roads are safer after they've scraped a bunch of kiwis of the asphalt.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Yesterday I went for a ride with some friends. High of 7 Celsius, low of 1.

Heated grips stopped working before we even left London, USB socket stopped working soon after.

Phone went flat, so I absent-mindedly used my heated gloves battery to charge my phone. Which drained all the charge from that rendering my heated gloves useless for the ride home.

Pretty sure if I look at the wiring the mechanic did for the heated grips it’s going to be a mess.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

Yesterday I went for a ride with some friends. High of 7 Celsius, low of 1.

Heated grips stopped working before we even left London, USB socket stopped working soon after.

Phone went flat, so I absent-mindedly used my heated gloves battery to charge my phone. Which drained all the charge from that rendering my heated gloves useless for the ride home.

Pretty sure if I look at the wiring the mechanic did for the heated grips it’s going to be a mess.

So, how many fingers fingats did you lose?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isolationist posted:

On the other side of the Tasman, our police are much more mild - over here its "dangerous hoons" and well balanced educational efforts... wait, I mean scare mongering, a 365 days a year zero tolerance policy, and camo netted speed camera emplacements.

Such a joke. Yes we really care about you slowing down but no we won't telegraph the camera so everyone goes slower through that patch. Instead it's the ever present fear of financial difficulty that's meant to discourage you. loving fascists.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Such a joke. Yes we really care about you slowing down but no we won't telegraph the camera so everyone goes slower through that patch. Instead it's the ever present fear of financial difficulty that's meant to discourage you. loving fascists.

The ever present fear of killing another person by driving unsafely should be enough to slow you down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The ever present fear of killing another person by driving unsafely should be enough to slow you down.

You almost got me here but I took a deep breath and thought about who was posting, instead.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

So, how many fingers fingats did you lose?

I lost 6 fingats, but gained 5 frozen corndogs. Good trade imo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Isolationist posted:

camo netted speed camera emplacements.
Jesus, that's legal? I thought some of the poo poo the US does with speed traps was questionable. And not just because I got hit once by a speed camera (thought it was only a red light camera so I ripped on it to get through before the light changed, surprise, it's also for speed) But they're required to clearly post signs in advance.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

The safest way to ride is to leave your bike by the side of the road for nature to claim.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

The safest way to ride is to leave your bike by the side of the road for nature to claim.

Correct.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drain it of its fluids first, and turn them in at your nearest fire hall, along with the battery, lest you contaminate the soil or water table, Jesus Christ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the name of safety I dropped all my bikes at the metal recyclers' and I now sit on the couch playing ride 3 wearing full gear including a tinted visor.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Good call on the tinted visor, wouldn't want to get eye strain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
How can eye strain exist when our eyes aren't real?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I question Suzuki's decision to make the front axle on the SV650 require a 12mm hex. Not, say, 17 or 19 that generic front axle tools come in.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

everyone selling decent gear on craigslist is a midget

where's the XL+ stuff god dammit

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Craigslist is old hat get on fb marketplace or I used to love newenough but can’t remember what they rebranded too. Sorry I’m a fraud I paddle more than I ride now

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
craigslist is so much better than facebook marketplace, i hate that it's all but replaced it.

fb marketplace is retarded, you can't sort by anything and you also can't return to search results after clicking an ad

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Craigslist is old hat get on fb marketplace or I used to love newenough but can’t remember what they rebranded too. Sorry I’m a fraud I paddle more than I ride now

If you google "newenough" like an old, the first link is whatever they call themselves now

E: but I'm not sure if they still sell used stuff

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FBS posted:

everyone selling decent gear on craigslist is a midget

where's the XL+ stuff god dammit

Advrider is many things. But one of them is good for getting used “american” sized gear.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Phy posted:

If you google "newenough" like an old, the first link is whatever they call themselves now

E: but I'm not sure if they still sell used stuff

Nah not used but they always sold cheaper last years gear. Small company with a big warehouse

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
New Enough had such good deals it was worth the shipping to Canada for the stuff I got from them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Phy posted:

newenough.com redirects anyway. That's just the URL that I use bc it's easy to remember.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finding and buying full-height, waterproof boots for my wide-feet and skinny legs is getting more and more frustrating.

Be it bad fitting, lack of stock in stores, or just shops with poor selections.

I did have one pair that fitted, was comfy, and purchased in-store to ship to me. But they shipped a different pair than the one I tried on and they didn’t fit anywhere near as comfortably.

Meanwhile, I’ve spent 1/3rd of the cost of my current riding boots on laces as the loving eyelets shred them like a bored Rottweiler.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Stupid name, good durable laces:

https://armorlaces.com/shop/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Horse Clocks posted:

Finding and buying full-height, waterproof boots for my wide-feet and skinny legs is getting more and more frustrating.

Be it bad fitting, lack of stock in stores, or just shops with poor selections.

I did have one pair that fitted, was comfy, and purchased in-store to ship to me. But they shipped a different pair than the one I tried on and they didn’t fit anywhere near as comfortably.

Meanwhile, I’ve spent 1/3rd of the cost of my current riding boots on laces as the loving eyelets shred them like a bored Rottweiler.

I have the same sizing and the forma adventure lows fit like a glove, true to size. Nice wide toebox.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I too just bought some Forma Adventure Low boots in size 49. They fit well. I normally buy a size smaller for regular shoes, but for motorcycle boots a size larger (for me personally) works.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rode my bike last week when the temperature was in the low 40s, but it hadn't been down to freezing overnight. It had been raining the day before, but it seemed pretty dry on the freeway. I knew my tires (Q3+) were cold and it isn't often in the 40s around here, so I was taking it easy, but I swear I felt the back end slide out a bit while I was on the freeway, going straight, with no change in throttle input. I was going 90mph, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything in the road. Ended up talking to a bartender later that night that uses the same tires on a speed triple and he swore they're like that below 50.

Seems odd? I can't imagine they're that slippery when cold, and I've ridden fast in the rain with them before with no issues. Definitely threw me off my game for the ride of the ride, I cut my speed way down and was parking it in the corners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You warm tyres by braking/accelerating to flex the carcass, sitting on the motorway just sucks heat out of them and those are a relatively hot running tyre. Plus you have a bike that's designed for race tracks, probably has a poor setup for the street and is almost certainly lacking the weight transfer to create grip and temperature when it's not heavily loaded ie tiny throttle openings on the motorway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Still seems weird it'd happen with no acceleration or turning? Unless going 90mph is asking too much of it. I need to get more dirt / supermoto practice so I'm more comfortable with losing traction in the rear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No acceleration or turning is when the rear tire has the least possible load, powerful bikes with aggressive anti-squat geometry don't effectively load the rear tire in that situation, those are tires designed to get red hot so will struggle at cold temperatures.

If you really care, step 1 is to replicate the phenomenon, step 2 is to back off the rear preload and see if it goes away.

Oh and most of the learning you do wrt motards and sliding the rear is about how it's a terrible thing to even try to do 90% of the time because the majority of bikes are set up to generate maximum grip before the tire starts slipping and promptly fall to pieces the moment you get even a little bit sideways.

The solution here isn't too learn to ride better (for once), it's to set the bike up properly which it almost certainly isn't because it has adjustable suspension. PO's law tells us that when something is adjustable, it will be adjusted wrongly or the adjuster itself will be damaged in some way.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 6, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That is true, but it was adjusted by Dave Moss this year so I should be good to go. It does need the front forks loosened + tightened to make it track straight though, it's not noticeable while riding but if you take your hands off the bars, it will always start to fall left right away.

Or maybe it is super noticeable on the bike and my brain has adjusted to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More likely to be chain adjustment or bad steering head bearings, your forks would have to be pretty wildly twisted to make the bike pull one way.

Dave moss does a shorthand 'ballpark' setup that works 80% well for 80% of people 80% of the time, because he's trying to reach as many idiots as possible in as short a time as possible; you are guaranteed to be able to set the bike up better yourself with time and patience and maybe money. The only way to do it properly is to create repeatable circumstances (so riding the same stretch of road over and over again) and make targeted changes based on what part of the corner you want the bike to be better in, what chassis behavior you want to alter etc. The end result is always a compromise reflective of your particular preferences on that particular road, the setup is basically never 'done' in that sense, because what works in your neck of the woods might not work in a different part of the country.

Getting a good setup from just statically bouncing the bike and sitting on it is impossible (ok, extremely improbable), all you can get this way is an approximation that eliminates the severe ill-handling tendencies morons tend to introduce and puts the frame geometry somewhere near the factories' intent. If you're trying to get random idiots to crash less, it's a great strategy!