Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

norton I posted:

A fun ad I found in some lab supplies.

Is this for injecting the brain after being removed? Because isn’t that what stereotactic surgery is for?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

jesus christ why

I forget which vaccine it was, but they used to use mice to incubate a certain pathogen. Then they blended the mice and extracted the vaccine. Something like that. I don't think they do it anymore at least.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Is this for injecting the brain after being removed? Because isn’t that what stereotactic surgery is for?

These syringes are used for stereotactic injections

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

norton I posted:

It's for mice, which leads to the classic mixer ad:

I used this for RNA tissue extraction from mouse and rat organs in my graduate degree like a million times.

It’s a good product I fully endorse it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

"Karen, I'm in pain. Could you please no- Please delete that. No, you're not posting it on Facebook. No! You're not sending it to your sister! Damnit, Karen! This is why Emily's staying at school for Christmas again!"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I used this for RNA tissue extraction from mouse and rat organs in my graduate degree like a million times.

What else did you put in there? Don't lie to us...

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Blind Rasputin posted:

How much foaming did you encounter though?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

If you want a maritime traditional non-sinking tattoo you get a pig and rooster :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

If you want a maritime traditional non-sinking tattoo you get a pig and rooster :argh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Friend posted:

yeah she said the city came by, I assume they "resolved" the rooster's head from its body

Coq au vin

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

jesus christ why

Because waiting a full minute for a soup-like homogenate of mouse is bullshit

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Soup-like Homogenate is a pretty pro username.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Remove to sink"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s such a pain when your have to wipe the side of your nose with your finger and stir your homogenate to get the foam to go down

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Betrayed by his disciple, sacrificed himself, and came back from the dead. Close enough.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Really, it's your own fault for assuming your pokemon owes you emotional labor.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MizPiz posted:

Really, it's your own fault for assuming your pokemon owes you emotional labor.

Even if it's a Reshiram?

https://youtu.be/lPyhlybViJw

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did you put the entire mouse in there, or dissect out the organs first?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How does it.. reduce the mouse? 27k RPMs sounds like a lot, does it just liquify?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How does it.. reduce the mouse? 27k RPMs sounds like a lot, does it just liquify?

Mice (and humans, and most other animals for that matter) are mostly water. Smash up the solid bits into small enough pieces and what's left is soup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Or a smoothie, if you add some ice cubes before you grind.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mmm mouse soup, just like momma used to make.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You have to strain it through a coffee filter if you're going to use it in a paint sprayer though

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, it's not simmering on a low heat for 20 mins, that's for sure.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So it's a tiny super grinder but for mice. Gross but also rad.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Mice (and humans, and most other animals for that matter) are mostly water. Smash up the solid bits into small enough pieces and what's left is soup.

The impressive part isn't turning it into soup, it's the fact that it doesn't aerate it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Inceltown posted:

The impressive part isn't turning it into soup, it's the fact that it doesn't aerate it.

*minimizes aeration. You know the saying: you can't reduce an entire mouse to a soup-like homogenate in 30 seconds without creating a little foam.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So it's a tiny super grinder but for mice. Gross but also rad.

A grinder just gets you meat paste. A homogeniser specifically disrupts all the individual cells so you can get at the cytoplasm.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Did you put the entire mouse in there, or dissect out the organs first?

Dissect out the organs, maybe a liver or in my case part of the brain. Flash freeze on liquid nitrogen. Then put the piece of tissue in a tube containing RNA extraction solution. It’s really just phenol/chloroform and some enzymes. Use that tissue blender to totally homogenize the tissue and cavitation breaks all the cells open releasing the DNA and RNA. It doesn’t foam up very much at all, and works amazingly well, actually.

Then you use a high speed centrifuge to separate the organic and aqueous phase, get the DNA/RNA by pipeting out the aqueous phase into a fresh tube. Clean the FNA/RNA with a few mixes of ethanol/isopropyl alcohol to clean away any proteins or phenol that may still linger, then precipitate the DNA/RNA into a pellet using ethanol and high speed centrifuge. DNA/RNA aren’t soluble in ethanol so it turns into a pellet at the bottom of the tube under 13,000g.

Then, submit the super pure genetic material to a DNAse reaction to destroy all the DNA and leave just RNA. Then, after all that, you can run quantitative PCR on the RNA to determine just how active your favorite certain genes were at the moment you lopped that mouses head off and cut out it’s brain!

As an aside, phenol is super weird tasting and smelling and it’s what is in chloroseptic throat spray, so every time I use that stuff I think of mouse brains.

Blind Rasputin has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Nov 21, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wish I could find this ad I had for those mouse grinders because it had advertising statements like "Have you ever had difficulty homogenizing a mouse within 30 seconds?"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i'm bout to reduce this mans entire career into a soup-like homogenate

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

A grinder just gets you meat paste. A homogeniser specifically disrupts all the individual cells so you can get at the cytoplasm.

We all know that grindr gets you meat paste but cytoplasm doesn't sound sexy at all.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Biological/medical research is pretty gross at times, but when you do it day in and day out it gets mundane as hell. It's around then that you look at add like that and think, yes, I hate it when there's excessive foaming in my homogenate (foaming is really annoying btw) and this thing looks like it might solve that problem. Just all me how quickly I can kill a mouse, extract its spleen, thymus, and four of its major lymph nodes. I had to do it several hundred times for one of my research projects and I got quite good at it.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

We also broke down the organs after we extracted them, but we did that by hand using a pair of microscope slides since we still wanted intact cells and not just lysates.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mice are a profoundly important backbone of biomedical research throughout the world. They are 87% genetically identical to humans, the structure of their genome all the way down to epigenetic methylation and microRNA behaviors is identical to ours, and their organs and even microstructure of their brain and many other organs (I’d say the only exception here is their kidney is a single large nephron unlike ours) is identical to ours. Also, it only takes 19 days to make a whole bunch of them. They get pregnant the same day they deliver, and birth up to 12 pups a litter. Every 19 days. The advanced tools we have also allow us to precisely manipulate nearly any gene in their genome and make mutated mice within weeks to months to study things in science.

So it’s super important to give them a respectful and humane death. It’s actually vitally important in endocrinology and neuroendocrinology that the mouse not suffer before it’s death, not only for itself, but since this can radically change which genes are turned on or off in the panic state. The way they are put down before an experiment is highly regulated.

I have never seen a machine or that homogenizer used on a whole animal. I don’t think it would work as advertised. I just like.. don’t see it happening without a huge mess on your hands. It’s amazing for frozen tissue samples though.

As an aside, like above mice breed exceedingly fast. What’s 12x every 19 days equal in a year if they can mate with their brothers and sisters after a month? Basically what I’m trying to say is, if you ever see a single mouse in your house, there’s probably 20 more somewhere in the walls or crawl space.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Prof. Banks posted:

Biological/medical research is pretty gross at times, but when you do it day in and day out it gets mundane as hell. It's around then that you look at add like that and think, yes, I hate it when there's excessive foaming in my homogenate (foaming is really annoying btw) and this thing looks like it might solve that problem. Just all me how quickly I can kill a mouse, extract its spleen, thymus, and four of its major lymph nodes. I had to do it several hundred times for one of my research projects and I got quite good at it.

This post is why Fritz Haber's whole family killed themselves btw

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blind Rasputin posted:

Mice are a profoundly important backbone of biomedical research throughout the world. They are 87% genetically identical to humans, the structure of their genome all the way down to epigenetic methylation and microRNA behaviors is identical to ours, and their organs and even microstructure of their brain and many other organs (I’d say the only exception here is their kidney is a single large nephron unlike ours) is identical to ours. Also, it only takes 19 days to make a whole bunch of them. They get pregnant the same day they deliver, and birth up to 12 pups a litter. Every 19 days. The advanced tools we have also allow us to precisely manipulate nearly any gene in their genome and make mutated mice within weeks to months to study things in science.

So it’s super important to give them a respectful and humane death. It’s actually vitally important in endocrinology and neuroendocrinology that the mouse not suffer before it’s death, not only for itself, but since this can radically change which genes are turned on or off in the panic state. The way they are put down before an experiment is highly regulated.

I have never seen a machine or that homogenizer used on a whole animal. I don’t think it would work as advertised. I just like.. don’t see it happening without a huge mess on your hands. It’s amazing for frozen tissue samples though.

As an aside, like above mice breed exceedingly fast. What’s 12x every 19 days equal in a year if they can mate with their brothers and sisters after a month? Basically what I’m trying to say is, if you ever see a single mouse in your house, there’s probably 20 more somewhere in the walls or crawl space.

You have the worst pillow talk ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Nice username/post combo there.