Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Forceholy posted:

What is the HRE?

Picture Germany but much bigger in every direction stretching all the way down to Rome. Every constituent part of it hates each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea to be fair even the HRE was befuddled by the HRE at multiple times so it's hard to blame someone.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I'm trying to find a Dollop episode that I remember a bit from, but not the topic itself (at least, I'm pretty sure it's from a Dollop). :shrug:

There was a tangent where Dave talked about how American frontiersmen ate absurd amounts of meat and developed indigestion or heartburn as a result and called it "Americanitis". Google and the show subreddit aren't super helpful.

Cereal men? Maybe dentistry or the one about the stomach hole guy but 95% it's cereal men.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NmareBfly posted:

Cereal men? Maybe dentistry or the one about the stomach hole guy but 95% it's cereal men.

I dont recall the cereal men one talking about that. The cereal men were mainly about preventing masturbation.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I dont recall the cereal men one talking about that. The cereal men were mainly about preventing masturbation.

No, the cereal men one definitely talked about this. The Graham diet (which would spawn Graham crackers) promoted bland food that prevented this problem and would serve as a precursor to Kellogg's anti masturbation diet.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Did they stop updating http://thedollop.libsyn.com/ at episode 400? The second part of the Reagan one is only at the ATC youtube channel, and following google hits I found newer ones on some art19 site I've never heard about.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

No, the cereal men one definitely talked about this. The Graham diet (which would spawn Graham crackers) promoted bland food that prevented this problem and would serve as a precursor to Kellogg's anti masturbation diet.

It was indeed the Cereal Men episode after all, Dave begins talking about dyspepsia as "part of the American lifestyle" around 25 minutes in. Thanks all.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
E: nvm mobile posting and didn't see new page

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The dollop in Oslo is about to start, I hope they will do something local, but I will settle for whatever Swedish thing they ran last time.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

thotsky posted:

The dollop in Oslo is about to start, I hope they will do something local, but I will settle for whatever Swedish thing they ran last time.

Same. I hoped for something weird like the Iceland corpse pants.

Turns out we had child witches instead. That got pretty dark. Fun show overall though with Gareth being baffled at the plot twists.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If you were the dude with the annoyingly performative and LOUD laugh sitting behind me, you suck.

Show was okay. Bit dark for The Dollop, and kind of lacking a grand narrative.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Seeing the guys here in Manchester on Friday night. Waited a long time for this one.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

thotsky posted:

If you were the dude with the annoyingly performative and LOUD laugh sitting behind me, you suck.

Show was okay. Bit dark for The Dollop, and kind of lacking a grand narrative.

Nah, I had a good time, but not that much of a good time. It looked like they lost most of the audience at the repetitive testimonies. It was build up for the diseased corn reveal, but they could still have condensed stuff.

I'm unconvinced that there aren't other crazy Norwegian stories, but I feel for them when Dave said it's hard to find. Some are probably locked behind the language barrier.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow Princess Cecilia is incredible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow Princess Cecilia is incredible.

I enjoyed that a lot -- they could have gone through wacky European royalty stories for hours and hours. :allears:

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Donnerberg posted:

Nah, I had a good time, but not that much of a good time. It looked like they lost most of the audience at the repetitive testimonies. It was build up for the diseased corn reveal, but they could still have condensed stuff.

I'm unconvinced that there aren't other crazy Norwegian stories, but I feel for them when Dave said it's hard to find. Some are probably locked behind the language barrier.

I got in late (right around the kitty boat part) and one of the first things I heard was Dave pronouncing Sámi right and getting corrected by the audience :v:

I loved how quiet the entire theater got when asked if people from Finnmark live in mud holes. Just dead quiet with all the Norwegians in the audience feeling real awkward. Gareth seemed to read the room and quickly moved him on.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I had been wondering if they would have an interpreter for the show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
gently caress Denmark

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Anta posted:

I got in late (right around the kitty boat part) and one of the first things I heard was Dave pronouncing Sámi right and getting corrected by the audience :v:

I loved how quiet the entire theater got when asked if people from Finnmark live in mud holes. Just dead quiet with all the Norwegians in the audience feeling real awkward. Gareth seemed to read the room and quickly moved him on.

Nah, he was saying it wrong, lady in the audience was on point. Good on him for entertaining the corrections multiple times, even though he'd revert to saying Sæmi a few minutes later.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

Nah, he was saying it wrong, lady in the audience was on point. Good on him for entertaining the corrections multiple times, even though he'd revert to saying Sæmi a few minutes later.

He was saying it correctly in the Sámi pronunciation. The Norwegian one changes the á into an a, while an English pronunciation is close to the Sámi one. So it was funny to me to have a room full of people tell him he got it wrong when he was the only one getting it right for once.

He kept talking to a guy from Finnmark in the audience. I missed out on the beginning, how did that start?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Anta posted:

[...]He kept talking to a guy from Finnmark in the audience. I missed out on the beginning, how did that start?

As soon as the story went from Denmark-Norway, a union the audience couldn't care less about, to Finnmark, a decidedly Norwegian location, there was a big applause. Dave responded to that, asking if people were from Finnmark, and nobody said anything except that one guy. That's how Dave and that one guy bonded.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Anta posted:

He was saying it correctly in the Sámi pronunciation. The Norwegian one changes the á into an a, while an English pronunciation is close to the Sámi one. So it was funny to me to have a room full of people tell him he got it wrong when he was the only one getting it right for once.

He kept talking to a guy from Finnmark in the audience. I missed out on the beginning, how did that start?

You're wrong, and that lady was prolly Sámi herself, weird of you to assume otherwise.
- The Sámi lady sitting next to me.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

You're wrong, and that lady was prolly Sámi herself, weird of you to assume otherwise.
- The Sámi lady sitting next to me.

That's cool. Apparently there were a lot of us there? (I'm Sámi, in case that wasn't clear). I was there with 3 of my siblings, I can ask them too. It sure sounded right to me. I'll listen to the recording when it comes out, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Or are you saying I'm wrong about the correct pronunciation, lol

Anta fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2019

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Let's just agree to blame Dave.

Dave sincerely trying to say words in their native language and making himself upset about it is the best part.

It was the only thing I prepared my friend for ahead of the show; don't help if he fucks up a word, just sit back and watch him lose his mind.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Posting from the show in london. No drinks allowed in church so we're having an intermission.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
did dave burst into flames

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Gareth almost did.

The hot chocolate is very good so not too annoyed by the lack of alcohol in the church proper.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr Phillby posted:

Posting from the show in london. No drinks allowed in church so we're having an intermission.

Shoulda gone with the Catholics.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Donnerberg posted:

Let's just agree to blame Dave.

Dave sincerely trying to say words in their native language and making himself upset about it is the best part.

It was the only thing I prepared my friend for ahead of the show; don't help if he fucks up a word, just sit back and watch him lose his mind.

Listening to the Jan Pieterszoon Coen episode now, and Dave has pronounced multiple things correct right off the bat. It's like he's taunting us. :argh:

(I'm enjoying the episode, but drat, Dave needs to not laugh directly into the microphone quite so hard.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 19, 2019

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How did they forget about the pies???!!!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That and the choices for spices for most folks were "salt" or "more salt".

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I can’t believe how long it took them to mention the pie episode

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Friggin SA

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 19, 2019

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I kind of had a hard time enjoying this episode due to the constant riffing on "it's just nutmeg and cloves, what's the big deal?" Its a history podcast and ignoring the fact that spices were a huge deal at the time just seemed willfully ignorant from them

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wait until you hear what they think about hats

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Unfinish3d posted:

I kind of had a hard time enjoying this episode due to the constant riffing on "it's just nutmeg and cloves, what's the big deal?" Its a history podcast and ignoring the fact that spices were a huge deal at the time just seemed willfully ignorant from them

Genocide over nutmeg is absurd from a modern context

It's a comedy podcast relax nerd

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

terrorist ambulance posted:

Genocide over nutmeg is absurd from a modern context

It's a comedy podcast relax nerd

Think about what it will be like when we're all using energon cubes -- it will seem silly that people used to kill each other over dead dinosaur ooze.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

prefect posted:

Think about what it will be like when we're all using energon cubes -- it will seem silly that people used to kill each other over dead dinosaur ooze.

Probably? And some guy will roll into the thread being like IM THE OIL NERD AND ACTUALLY HERE'S WHY IT WAS A BIG DEAL

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Basically my point is if you want historical fidelity dont listen to a podcast where the only thing the guy knows about the topic is what he is audibly reading from his tablet taken from whatever book he ripped off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

terrorist ambulance posted:

Probably? And some guy will roll into the thread being like IM THE OIL NERD AND ACTUALLY HERE'S WHY IT WAS A BIG DEAL

Posting. Posting never changes.