Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I made a new lich last night. I forgot I was on Rhino. 43% IMPACT Ogris. gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there ever a good reason to do the "burn 4 mods for a rare mod" thing? It seems to cost a lot of credits, though I guess that cost is pretty low once you're capable of doing the highest difficult Index thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its basically gambling credits for plat

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Is there ever a good reason to do the "burn 4 mods for a rare mod" thing? It seems to cost a lot of credits, though I guess that cost is pretty low once you're capable of doing the highest difficult Index thing.

I never advise doing it. But at some point you will be in a position to decide wether to or not. A good way to burn the dozens of spare tether grenades and medi-pet kits and other index mods

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ytlaya posted:

On the one hand, I think it's a waste of time. On the other, it's how I got CO back when it was more valuable, so I'd be a hypocrite to totally deride it.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I finally got to Solaris United rank 5 and Jesus Christ DE that's a hell of a thing even for Warframe.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I think the only good use of rerolling mods is burning rare Index mods.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just turn them into endo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

So what stances do people consider big winners out of the rework now that there's been alot of settling time?

Personaly I'm really enjoying Crimson Dervish for claws, and Cleaving Whirlwind on heavy blades is just alot of fun (it was before, but the spin is just alot easier to execute and combo into).

Big losers are pretty much the whips, as it just highlights how limited the combos were in the first place. Bleeding Willow for polearms and Sundering Weave for machetes are absolutely abyssmal.

Blind Justice for weeb swords is pretty good and has a good gapcloser, Vermillion storm is good for claws, crushing ruin and cleaving whirlwind are well known for good spin combos but I find hammers to have too much lag, the one stance for Ninkondi's is real good and has 5 dispo if you get a riven, Cyclone kraken machete wraith is rather good at chopping up anything, didn't care much for staves or polearms when I gave them a go nor final harbinger but people say that one is good.
I have not tried stances for Tonfas, Rapiers, Dual daggers, Dual swords, Warfans, Scythes, both types of whips so I can't say how good they might be.

Since crit is the only way to go with melee since Lich's and Thralls are immune to status effects, how are people building the crit variants of normal and heavy attacks? I imagine sacrificial steel is mandatory now with 220% crit and double heavy attacks.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 21, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I have a new friend named Nadd Agrup, and he is welcome to have as much of my salvage and rubedo as he wants. :3:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Blind Justice for weep swords is pretty good and has a good gapcloser, Vermillion storm is good for claws, crushing ruin and cleaving whirlwind are well known for good spin combos but I find hammers to have too much lag, the one stance for Ninkondi's is real good and has 5 dispo if you get a riven, Cyclone kraken machete wraith is rather good at chopping up anything, didn't care much for staves or polearms when I gave them a go nor final harbinger but people say that one is good.
I have not tried stances for Tonfas, Rapiers, Dual daggers, Dual swords, Warfans, Scythes, both types of whips so I can't say how good they might be.

Since crit is the only way to go with melee since Lich's and Thralls are immune to status effects, how are people building the crit variants of normal and heavy attacks? I imagine sacrificial steel is mandatory now with 220% crit and double heavy attacks.

I agree with your analysis but I've tested some of the ones you skipped

Skipped Tonfas, Rapiers feel better but eh, All the Dual Swords are really funny, though I think Carving Mantis has the most closer and Swirling Tiger the most hits/second (it also feels smooth as butter). Dual Daggers haven't impressed me much. Haven't tried the Warfan. Reaping Spiral feels absolutely incredible, A+ one of the highest winners along with Cleaving Whirlwind. Regular whips still feel mostly the same, whipswords never clicked with me before and still don't click now. With Sword n Bord I'm preferring Final Harbinger to 11th Storm but that's mostly preference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Valleyant posted:

I finally got to Solaris United rank 5 and Jesus Christ DE that's a hell of a thing even for Warframe.

Does ranking that stuff up have story content? I haven't touched Fortuna/Cetus stuff even though I keep meaning to. I figure I want to at least do Fortuna since it has frame(s) locked behind it.

What's the best way to get rep for that, and does it require any level of equipment?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ytlaya posted:

Does ranking that stuff up have story content? I haven't touched Fortuna/Cetus stuff even though I keep meaning to. I figure I want to at least do Fortuna since it has frame(s) locked behind it.

What's the best way to get rep for that, and does it require any level of equipment?

Fortuna's really good and Solaris U are my favorites.

The easiest way to get Solaris rep is hunting, easy. If you can hunt the big dogs, they're simultaneously the easiest hunting target in the game and give 8k for something like 3 minutes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fortunas the only rep grind I believe where the story kind of moves forward as you rank up

it's nice and I hope DE does it for more things going forward

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The bounties in Cetus are largely just world building around Cetus. You can find some stuff in the plains that will give you some backstory on Gara and maybe Revenant, and both of those frames are really good. Gara is silly strong and good to have in a party pretty much always? Revenant may or may not really wow a lot of people but he's quite strong, perhaps unfairly survivable, and his kit works a little too well on liches right now. The Quills have a little more backstory and world building when you open them up after doing War Within. But neither of these things are really strong on overall plot or even current story stuff. Gara's back story gives you a good look at some old war stuff

Fortuna and Solaris U have more story that you actually experience, and a few characters who are a lot deeper than most anything you find in Cetus. You also get more and different dialogue when you hit rank 5 in Fortuna, and get shown a secret. For spoiler free hint at that reveal just refer back to Valleyant's post.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

gnoma posted:

I think you're missing something with Whipclaw. It does damage in an area by default, can be spammed more or less indefinitely, and will easily out damage melee. There is no setup to it, you just press 1 over and over and kill everything in 10 meters of where your cursor is.

Whipclaw inherits mods from Khora's equipped melee weapon and you want to build strictly high crit + raw damage to maximize its potential. With the right riven you don't need to worry about using any mod slots on the frame itself to turn Whipclaw into pure death.

oh no, I'm not missing it. I very clearly put it does insane damage in that post you're quoting, but here's the thing: you can get a fragor prime and spam jump slams for hundreds of thousands of damage for no energy cost in a massive aoe around you, and there are other melee weapons right now that can do similar poo poo. Whipclaw does a lot of damage, for sure. It's just not a very good way to use khora because in doing so you're limiting how far you can push the other stats that make her CC and survivability really good.

Khora's also much harder to get than any number of weapons that put whipclaw to shame via just being more usable or doing more damage in a better way. That's why I call it a trap. If you want to whipclaw for the fun of it then I don't think me telling you it's a trap is going to stop you, and in the end this game is about having fun with the toys DE gives us. I just get very tired of hearing about what is her worst build being touted every time someone asks.

Ytlaya posted:

When I did it I just spent a few hours caving and then turned in the gems from that over the course of a week. I think it might be faster to do the hunting once you reach a certain rank, since you need the right call for the big dogs? But I don't think those were in when I did it.

And yes, Solaris U at least has a bit of story stuff for maxing it out. It's very cool and I highly recommend it, plus kitguns are fun and you'll want the recipes for making the cut gems and alloys anyway.

Oh and do index and buy debt bonds. Those are HUGE time savers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does weapon base speed affect heavy attacks at all? I'm thinking of making a zaw to play with the good ol' scythe heavy attack guaranteed-slash-proc oneshots but i'm not sure what balance of damage/speed to use.
Though looking at how much damage heavy-attack scythes are doing right now I could probably oneshot anything sub-100 with even the fastest zaw scythe.
It'll be fun to get crazy high energy regen from stacking exodia brave too, once I can eventually buy 9 more copies of the dang arcane.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does weapon base speed affect heavy attacks at all?

The windup is unaffected, but the swing itself is.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Whipclaw does a lot of damage, for sure. It's just not a very good way to use khora because in doing so you're limiting how far you can push the other stats that make her CC and survivability really good.

It makes her one of the top 3-4* frames in the game for clearing missions. She won't beat Saryn, Volt, or Mirage in Onslaught or Defense, but for every other mission type Whipclaw turns her into one of the very best damage frames. If you think fragor prime jump slams can compete with it for dps, range and ease of use, then you likely haven't experienced Whipclaw at its full potential. I like her CC options and I agree you can make strong builds using them. I use a 250 power strength Strangledome build to mostly afk 30 minute Kuva Survivals. But warframe is a game where damage trumps crowd control by a large margin and that makes Whipclaw incredibly useful (and fun) and the exact opposite of a trap.

* The other frames I'd rank at the top for general purpose damage are Mesa and melee Wisp/Gauss. Titania and Baruuk are close but less straightforward to use. Then Gara, Volt, Saryn, Revenant, and Equinox who can mass murder but have ramp up times and caveats that can slow them down when running end to end through corridor missions. New Ember probably fits in somewhere but I haven't put much time into her yet.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I see why people like the dome, but I could never stand the limited number of hooks, and if the enemies aren't dying in a split second, you've got to start whipping the dome anyway for damage since the enemies are spread out everywhere outside regular aoe weapon range.

Whipclaw in general is just so easy to spam, has crazy range and animation time, you can just sit on a point and mash away. The timer being as generous as it is on Accumulating really helps too.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gnoma posted:

It makes her one of the top 3-4* frames in the game for clearing missions. She won't beat Saryn, Volt, or Mirage in Onslaught or Defense, but for every other mission type Whipclaw turns her into one of the very best damage frames. If you think fragor prime jump slams can compete with it for dps, range and ease of use, then you likely haven't experienced Whipclaw at its full potential. I like her CC options and I agree you can make strong builds using them. I use a 250 power strength Strangledome build to mostly afk 30 minute Kuva Survivals. But warframe is a game where damage trumps crowd control by a large margin and that makes Whipclaw incredibly useful (and fun) and the exact opposite of a trap.

* The other frames I'd rank at the top for general purpose damage are Mesa and melee Wisp/Gauss. Titania and Baruuk are close but less straightforward to use. Then Gara, Volt, Saryn, Revenant, and Equinox who can mass murder but have ramp up times and caveats that can slow them down when running end to end through corridor missions. New Ember probably fits in somewhere but I haven't put much time into her yet.

yeah all whipclaw needs is range and some efficiency and you get a long range hit scan rocket launcher. Melee can get great damage but you can't be at every corner of a room at once.

I think you're basically on the money on your frame ranks, and I'd put Ember at the top with Mesa. You can't run and meteor at the same time, but if your airborne you keep momentum so you can go pretty fast while obliterating Grineer/graphics.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/WFforums_txt/status/1197530676905545729

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

My lich stole my loving pinecone

Dr Cheeto posted:

don't touch my goddamn cones

...and they say video games can't have compelling stories. Suck it, Hemmingway.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Speaking of which. My lich became history's greatest villain yesterday.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Honestly there is not much use to a War BP. The parts for a replacement Broken War are unfeasibly hard to grind. And Hunhow's gift has cool armour

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tylana posted:

The parts for a replacement Broken War are unfeasibly hard to grind.

I have been experiencing this every day. :saddowns:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tylana posted:

Honestly there is not much use to a War BP. The parts for a replacement Broken War are unfeasibly hard to grind. And Hunhow's gift has cool armour
:hmmyes: 0.5% drop chance from enemies which spawn two to a mission. I should sell the one blade I managed to get.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I mean, it takes two war blades to make a broken war, which makes me think you're making a new war and then breaking it. I have a war I am willing to re-break!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

prefect posted:

I mean, it takes two war blades to make a broken war, which makes me think you're making a new war and then breaking it. I have a war I am willing to re-break!
Two blades and a handle, so three extremely rare drops from enemies which spawn in very low quantities.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
From what I understand, used to be that War and Broken War's blueprints each required the other? So you'd reforge your Broken War and then break it again. The only way to have both at once was to buy Hunhow's Gift.

So killing ~600 conculysts is actually an improvement if you think about it.

Maybe when New War drops we'll have a better way to build this dumb sword.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Is there any reason to keep the broken war once I get my glorious nippon blade and potato it?

e: besides making War I mean

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr Cheeto posted:

From what I understand, used to be that War and Broken War's blueprints each required the other? So you'd reforge your Broken War and then break it again. The only way to have both at once was to buy Hunhow's Gift.

So killing ~600 conculysts is actually an improvement if you think about it.

Maybe when New War drops we'll have a better way to build this dumb sword.

I only want my Broken War back. :qq:

I just checked broken war blade prices and they're ~100 platinum each. Ouch.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I mean, Broken War is still one of the best weapons in its class, so, yeah. In fact I wouldn't use it to make War unless you have a spare. Or unless you just really like War, I guess. War's not that great as far as heavy blades go, even though it does look pretty cool. If you really need a good heavy blade Galatine or Gram Prime is where you should be looking.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ytlaya posted:

What are things like those and those flowers things used for? I've been scanning them since I have the upgrade to make scans free, but I don't see them on any blueprints.

The Silver Grove quest has you collect a bunch of plants to build certain gear items. Mostly from earth, some from other planets. The items require fairly large amounts of the plants, I’d make sure to get the double scan upgrade for the synthesis scanner before you start the quest.

The same gear items can be used after the quest has ended to resummon one of the spectres you encounter in the course of the quest. This comes up in the Nightwave weekly missions on occasion, so I’ve been trying to make a habit of scanning plants so I can always provide for the group I’m in (only one person needs to have the item to summon the specter). Additonally, the spectres have a pretty small drop table of mods, including a handful of hard to find stance mods (e.g. Atlantis Vulcan for the nunchaku) and some auras that are exclusive to the spectres. I don’t think the auras are good but somehow every other pub group I’m in has someone running Growing Power so I dunno maybe I’m just drinking too much corpro cool-aid

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

War is bae, y'all are haters. Broken War is good, arguably better now with the melee updates. That said, so are lots of other 1h swords. Make War, not love.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

And Tyler Too! posted:

War is bae, y'all are haters. Broken War is good, arguably better now with the melee updates. That said, so are lots of other 1h swords. Make War, not love.

War is good, heavy blades is just a really crowded field at the top end. Gramps, Galaprime and Paracesis are extremely good and I guess there's a zaw too. War would be great in any other set.

Broken War is probably the best 1h sword outside zawland though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's a good benchmark for being able to solo Index? I never see any groups on Switch, so I can't group for it reliably.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Tulip posted:

War is good, heavy blades is just a really crowded field at the top end. Gramps, Galaprime and Paracesis are extremely good and I guess there's a zaw too. War would be great in any other set.

Broken War is probably the best 1h sword outside zawland though.

And sword zaws look like poo poo, so it's broken war. The Krohkur used to be a great crit sword before melee 3.0 and probably still is, just more now. I should dig mine out and vomit at my puke build on it.

Also, I've been told that zaw stats haven't been updated with melee 3.0, which is probably true, because DE.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Check out Dakra Prime, it's at 36% base crit now. Also I happen to have a set for sale, goon discount applies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's a good benchmark for being able to solo Index? I never see any groups on Switch, so I can't group for it reliably.

Be Rhino, grab a gun that does a shitload of damage in a small amount of time (ex: Rubico Prime, Exergis, Opticor Vandal, etc.) and just light suckers up. Your AI teammates have the same messed-up armor scaling as your foes so they won't die to a stiff breeze. Clown on the enemy team, deposit points in bundles of 15. Avoid Jad Teran (he can nullify your Iron Skin).