Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah I love women, call em retarded bimbos all the time. mr. woman respecter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yikes uh i sure picked a time to come into this thread didn't i

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FGO is good, BOOTY-dono.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Aurora posted:

yeah I love women, call em retarded bimbos all the time. mr. woman respecter

Good thing you're here to protect a fictional character's feelings.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what the gently caress Ryougi Shiki is a Servant? i guess that settles the ancient "could Shiki kill Servants" question

yeah i'm downloading this, there's more things I desperately need to see for myself in this than there are things in general in most gacha games

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what the gently caress Ryougi Shiki is a Servant? i guess that settles the ancient "could Shiki kill Servants" question

yeah i'm downloading this, there's more things I desperately need to see for myself in this than there are things in general in most gacha games

The game is fun, the original story is really good (though it takes until America/Camelot to really get going), and there's a lot of funny events.

The gacha rates are terrible, but you get a 4* garanteed on your tutorial pull (which can be Emiya, Berserker Lancelot or Hercules, among others) and even low-rarity Servants can be useful and fun to use. So even if you're not lucky, don't go Gacha-crazy, just learn to love our low-star broes like Asterios (the minotaur!) or Hans Christian Andersen.

Any gameplay questions will be answered by the thread, we love corrupting people to this game.

Edit: Shiki is from an event, but it will be re-run eventually. She's a "welfare", meaning you get her from the event without needing to roll.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They wanted to have Shiki as a Servant, so they came up with the excuse that the counter-force was turning everyone it could find into counter guardians because the universe got blown up.

The "can Shiki kill Servants" question was answered years ago by Nasu. Tohno Shiki and regular Ryougi Shiki wouldn't stand a chance, void Ryougi Shiki would be able to defend herself from them but not beat them:

quote:

Question: In the other Type-Moon works, who else besides Arc can fight against Servants?
Nasu: If we're working on the condition of one on one, with an extremely average Noble Phantasm. Generally most of the 27 Ancestors, Kishima Kouma, Aozaki Aoko. If it's just a defensive fight, but would still be a fight, then Ciel. Shiki (Rakkyo), Shiki (Tsukihime) are no match for Servants....but Ryougi Shiki (3rd personality) might be able to go as far as the Ciel class.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I mean yeah, the series has existed for 15 years and Gil started as unrepentant shithead, so you missed a lot of character changing Gil has gone through

Archer Gil had a shitload of personality changes and rewrites over the years and I recognize that as a result, current Gilgamesh is a lot less of an unrepentant monster as he was initially, but for me, he will always be the dude whose main motivation for HGW was "wow, Saber you are so cool I decided I will make you my sex slave and you don't get to say no".

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 21, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Archer Gil had a shitload of personality changes and rewrites over the years and I recognize that as a result, current Gilgamesh is a lot less of an unrepentant monster as he was initially, but for me, he will always be the dude whose main motivation for HGW was "wow, Saber you are so cool I decided I will make you my sex slave and you don't get to say no".

There's a reason Kidgamesh tries to evade his Adult self as much as possible.

Although he's also kind of a creep at times.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kild posted:

I thought it was cus of the mud

Gilgamesh claims that he was unaffected by the corruption of All The Evils of The World mudbath.

I call loving bullshit on that, even if Nasu also says it didn't effect Gil. Gil is an egotist and would never admit (or probably recognize) the slightest possibility that the mud might've influenced him.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Hi, just dropping by to say the Astolfo costume is very good and you should all unlock it ASAP.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, Gil changed a lot even within FSN. In Fate he was a creepy stalker, then in UBW he wanted to end the world.

Fate/Unlimited Codes had him succeed in his pursuit of Saber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqE58FceV-w&t=1530s

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Factor_VIII posted:

It's not just that. Gil was cartoonishly evil in FSN and they dialed it back significantly in his later portrayals, such as CCC, once they realized how popular he was. To justify that shift they came up with the rationalization that he was so evil in FSN because he hated capitalism:

This is hilarious because Kid Gil owns an amusement park in Hollow Ataraxia.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mostly got into Fate through this and Carnival Phantasm, so I hope you enjoy your stay in gacha hell.

The game-introduced servants are the best. Jeanne Alter, Nitocris, Caster Gilgamesh, and a lot of spoilery ones from EoR are real neat and cool and fun.

Also, you can get both versions of Shiki Ryogi. Save up your quartz because Saber 'Root' version is a 5-star.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 21, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Turn back while you can!

That or feel free to pop into the Goon FGO Discord Server if you got questions and to load up on Friend Supports so you can smash your way through a lot of the game's story using overpowered friend servants (use the dumb edgey/spikey Berserker Cu Chullain).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lt. Lizard posted:

And yet in his own twisted way, he was earnestly trying to save her from Suicide-by-Time-Paradox. And she even gets to join the royal harem, what could be better?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Sophism posted:

Hi, just dropping by to say the Astolfo costume is very good and you should all unlock it ASAP.
Oh my God I still have to get another Mona Lisa, next month's tickets and Parvati's uniform.

I am going to be prism poor forever.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh my God I still have to get another Mona Lisa, next month's tickets and Parvati's uniform.

I am going to be prism poor forever.

Look on the bright side, Christmas boxes give prisms!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

BisbyWorl posted:

Look on the bright side, Christmas boxes give prisms!
This is an unlimited lotto, right? The Santa Jalter lotto ending at 50 was very rude.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Roger Explosion posted:

This is an unlimited lotto, right? The Santa Jalter lotto ending at 50 was very rude.

This year's actual Christmas event will be unlimited, yes.

Christmas reruns are always capped at 10 because having two limitless box events pretty much back to back would be a tad excessive.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i fell down a rabbit hole of reading about the characters in this and, as someone who's pretty familiar with Type-Moon stuff but had been avoiding this poo poo, this game sounds loving batshit bonkers

Kiritsugu's back, he's an Assassin Servant, and he's super loving creepy-looking? there's apparently enough different alternate OG Sabers that you could fill a baseball team? Rin and Sakura got possessed by ancient goddesses and are now sorta-kinda Servants? there's yet another EMIYA and he's even edgier than the original and also, apparently, a black guy? apparently Saber Alter is back, but she's chill now, and there's an event where she's goddamn Santa Claus for some reason? what the gently caress is going on in this game? :psyboom:

is this, like, actually a fun game? because if it is i might get over my gacha aversion and deep-dive this bullshit

There wouldn't be a whole-rear end thread with over 1300 pages if this game didn't give a little something. There's a reason why FGO is one of the biggest gacha games in JP and big enough that they decided to have an NA server when before a lot of people thought it wouldn't happen. It was a poo poo gacha at first, but the Nasu and game devs actively wanted to make it better through gameplay AND writing so it's had staying power ever since.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

This year's actual Christmas event will be unlimited, yes.

Christmas reruns are always capped at 10 because having two limitless box events pretty much back to back would be a tad excessive.
Also, might probably kill people.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Compendium posted:

It was a poo poo gacha at first

That's understating things slightly. :v:

To put things another way: If FGO didn't have a powerhouse IP like Fate behind it and instead was an original setting, they would have pulled the plug within the first few months.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mean, I've been playing JP server for 4 years now, I know.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sophism posted:

It's great, but as dedicated Astolfo Superfan and grailer, I think I'm still gonna use Asc1 because it's my favorite.

I feel so vanilla :negative:

(That said, I would absolutely use sailor astolfo outfit if they made it available)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the game client is still absolute dogshit in many ways and it's more of a testament to how good the story and characters are that it's still as popular as it is

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Vengarr posted:

And she even gets to join the royal harem, what could be better?

:chloe:

anyway is it just me or did they give the 8mil tickets to everyone, regardless of log-ins??? i lost my streak on one of the first few days of the campaign so i just shrugged and moved on with my life, but upon logging in this morning i found the campaign tickets sitting in my inbox anyway. thanks, gramps!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, you literally just had to log in to one of the days of the 8 mil campaign and they'd give you all of the rewards.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sophism posted:

I totally would if I had Stolfy,

To the new guy: please try to stick with the game because the first two major chapters kind of really suck and it took me a while (months), to power through them. It does get a hell of a lot better from there, so don't be me and think Septem is the best the game offers or something

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i fell down a rabbit hole of reading about the characters in this and, as someone who's pretty familiar with Type-Moon stuff but had been avoiding this poo poo, this game sounds loving batshit bonkers

Kiritsugu's back, he's an Assassin Servant, and he's super loving creepy-looking? there's apparently enough different alternate OG Sabers that you could fill a baseball team? Rin and Sakura got possessed by ancient goddesses and are now sorta-kinda Servants? there's yet another EMIYA and he's even edgier than the original and also, apparently, a black guy? apparently Saber Alter is back, but she's chill now, and there's an event where she's goddamn Santa Claus for some reason? what the gently caress is going on in this game? :psyboom:

is this, like, actually a fun game? because if it is i might get over my gacha aversion and deep-dive this bullshit

Yeah, it's a pretty fun game. I was real dubious of it at first, but a lot of the new characters grow on you and the plot loving goes places.

Do be aware that the story starts bad and gets better as time goes on. They didn't know the game would be as popular as it is at first and didn't bring their A game to the first few chapters. By the time you reach the Camelot chapter it stabilizes into something good and mostly maintains that quality from then on.

A lot of the weirder servants are stuff from events. Kiritsugu and Irisviel come from the Fate Zero collab event, for example, and Shiki from the KnK one. They'll give excuses why these people are servants even if they're kind of stretching somewhat. Just be glad they aren't doing collabs with other properties altogether so we don't have idolmaster characters as servants or whatever.

The gacha is bad, but it could be worse. The low-rarity characters are mostly very usable, and there are gimmick accounts who have cleared even the latest challenge content on JP without any rares.

Also, seconding that you should head over to the discord server. We've got a pretty good community there and will be happy to answer questions.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think you could probably get a perfectly fine experience with the game by watching youtube archives of the singularities and events/servant interludes, which doesn't require touching a gacha

though personally i find the slow progression of strengthening my roster satisfying on top of the game throwing in legitimately fun/challenging mechanical challenges like the camelot/shimosa bosses or fest cqs. so there's definitely appeal to the game part if someone is open to actually trying the game. much like with the story quality though, you've gotta stick out a lot of mediocre or tedious gameplay in the early parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bakanogami posted:

A lot of the weirder servants are stuff from events. Kiritsugu and Irisviel come from the Fate Zero collab event, for example, and Shiki from the KnK one. They'll give excuses why these people are servants even if they're kind of stretching somewhat. Just be glad they aren't doing collabs with other properties altogether so we don't have idolmaster characters as servants or whatever.

That would loving own though lmbo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There was a poll asking what Collaboration players would like to see.

I said Drakengard.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

To put things another way: If FGO didn't have a powerhouse IP like Fate behind it and instead was an original setting, they would have pulled the plug within the first few months.

Yeah. FGO was so bad early on that Nasu said that people only played it because of the Fate IP. And Type Moon was thinking of shutting the game down within a few months if it didn't significantly improve.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was a poll asking what Collaboration players would like to see.

I said Drakengard.

They should have a Blazblue crossover. Both franchises are chuuni as hell, feature travel between universes and are full of convoluted lore. It would be a perfect fit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gimme that Love Live collab so we can have Liz vs. Nico

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Give me caster Emil and alter ego Kaine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

requiem collab

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Give me *rolls dice* Revue Starlight collab, coward Nasu

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bogart posted:

Give me caster Emil and alter ego Kaine

Caim and Angelus as a duo Servant like the Pirates.

Same with Zero and Mikhail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
No other crossovers allowed until Tsukihime happens