Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ever since watching a video of a guy mispronouncing all the states, I just think Vyominge every time I see Wyoming.

Grape posted:

Jesus christ, do you have to?

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
During the time period we were discussing, people from Connecticut were called Yankees and people from Pennsylvania were called Pennamites.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Is 'Wyomans' gender-neutral, or does one likewise refer to 'Wyowomans'?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Wyopersons

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Wyeomans.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Wyowymyns.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Wyofolx or Wyom@n

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wyomettes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
First place in the US to let women vote, the Equality state, it should have a gender neutral name.

Funny fact the area we were arguing about in Northern Pennsylvania contains the Wyoming Valley which named Wyoming the state. The state was named after a popular poem about a bullshit massacre that happened in PA during the 1770's. It's literally like naming a state "Star Wars".

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wyverns

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's literally like naming a state "Star Wars".

I would proudly rock a Star Wars drivers license and Star Wars license plates.

Hello Ma'am, I'm from Star Wars.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

First place in the US to let women vote, the Equality state, it should have a gender neutral name.

Funny fact the area we were arguing about in Northern Pennsylvania contains the Wyoming Valley which named Wyoming the state. The state was named after a popular poem about a bullshit massacre that happened in PA during the 1770's. It's literally like naming a state "Star Wars".

California's named after Queen Calafia, a fictional amazon queen from a sixteenth century series of adventure stories. It's basically naming a state after Conan the Barbarian.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Didn't know they were poisonous.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

California's named after Queen Calafia, a fictional amazon queen from a sixteenth century series of adventure stories. It's basically naming a state after Conan the Barbarian.

drat, I just learned that California and Caliphate share the same etymology

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

drat, I just learned that California and Caliphate share the same etymology

And climate. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

I got curious about what someone from Connecticut is actually called, which led me down a path to finding this map:

Honest question for my fellow Connecti-goons - have any of you ever actually used "Connecticuter," or even heard it be used before? It was only about two months ago that I looked up the same questions and learned this is what we are supposed to be called, and I have lived here most of my life.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Honest question for my fellow Connecti-goons - have any of you ever actually used "Connecticuter," or even heard it be used before? It was only about two months ago that I looked up the same questions and learned this is what we are supposed to be called, and I have lived here most of my life.

Nope.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

missed opportunity by not calling them “kentuckers”

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Should be Cuties.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
'Utahn' just looks wrong, but I'm not sure any alternative would be better.

All of them are just a very basic modification of the state name, except Indiana being Hoosier. Coming from the UK where every other place name has a baffling demonym it's strangely boring.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Utahraptors.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Kinda weird that "Hoosier" is somehow official, but "Sooner" isn't.

But yeah, at least we don't have Geordies and Scousers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The feminine form of "Michigander" is, of course, "Michigoose".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They left out Yooper too. That's probably the most fun one.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I think exactly once, but only long after I left the state.

During the time period we were discussing, people from Connecticut were called Yankees and people from Pennsylvania were called Pennamites.

Only if they eat pie for breakfast.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Deserite.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Nope.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Only if they eat pie for breakfast.

But seriously, one of the stories I've heard about where "Yankee" came from was the New Amsterdam Dutch using it as some kind of insult/slur for the encroaching New Englanders. The Dutch had forts in CT, but no real settlements, like nothing civilian. And the Puritans just moved right on in, forts be damned. Eventually the Dutch just plain got populated out of any claim to any part of what would become CT. So you can imagine they had many foul words for the Anglo-settlers.

If true, this makes Connecticuteese the truest Yankees of all. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've literally never seen anyone eat key lime pie in Thanksgiving in Texas. Pecan otoh is the loving state tree. I'm guessing the rest of the south is the same and the actual most common is pumpkin, pecan, or sweet potato but they used a dumb algorithm that spits out the craziest outlier.

You can tell because of kraft singles pie in wisconsin

Starks posted:

missed opportunity by not calling them “kentuckers”

Kentuckees

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Tsaedje posted:

"Saints" if you love Heavenly Father, "Gentiles" if you don't.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Weird that one state gets to use its idiomatic nickname (Indiana - "Hoosier"), but no other states' equivalents are counted, even though several others definitely have them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
because indianan is too dumb

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
indianian
indianer
indianite

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Indian.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dirty (In)diana

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Indiananana

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Indianananananananananananananananana Batman!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Delaware should be on the "ian" side because of how it's pronounced.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Delaware should be on the "ian" side because of how it's pronounced.

Del-lah-wear-e-in

Yeah you're right

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Delaware Ian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003