Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1197298893483958272

lol just lol

e: cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

sebzilla posted:

Some cool stuff in the foreign policy section

Not selling arms to Israel to kill Palestinians? There's that Corbyn anti semitism showing again :argh:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
E: misread nvm

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 21, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kadhimshubber/status/1197489493722443782?s=19

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

No, Jo! You're supposed to go back on your promises after the election! Nick tried to tell you, but you didn't listen! :eng99:

Your anti-squirrel rage was your downfall.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There is a very cute badger on page 25 of the manifesto

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Disappointed there's no policy on Hong Kong in the manifesto? Lib Dems had it right with giving them settlement rights.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Disappointed there's no policy on Hong Kong in the manifesto? Lib Dems had it right with giving them settlement rights.

There's a mention of the Uighurs at least

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

So they now have the same Brexit policy as Labour, except with Johnson's deal rather than a Labour one? I can't wait to hear how this is actually a strong and principled anti-Brexit stance and Labour are the party of Leave.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

They seem unshakeably convinced that this sort of crap is effective campaign strategy, but I get the impression it's actively counter-productive. It just makes people think they're juvenile twats.

Yeah, people at work who aren't natural Labour supporters were genuinely angry at that Tory Factcheck nonsense on Twitter.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Boris edged the debate? Fake news. It's actually us who are edging over the debate :shlick: :hawaaaafap:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I think there are clear lines appearing now between those who are genuinely concerned about antisemitism and those who are trying to exploit the former in order to attack Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1197479817186357254?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Scikar posted:

I think there are clear lines appearing now between those who are genuinely concerned about antisemitism and those who are trying to exploit the former in order to attack Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1197479817186357254?s=20

The latter are hurriedly tweeting about bagels just in case.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/binny_uk/status/1197316490678153216?s=20

Another solid Lib Dem policy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1197492728604573696?s=20

Sorry to post a reply to my own tweet but Adam Boulton not understanding a metaphor is really funny to me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Middle English is Best English.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:captainpop:

https://twitter.com/kadhimshubber/status/1197491698621960192?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, people at work who aren't natural Labour supporters were genuinely angry at that Tory Factcheck nonsense on Twitter.

Every strategy this government has ever had has been based on the assumption that they will get away with everything. They have no idea what to do now that isn't completely true any more :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/1197483154195537921?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Middle English is Best English.

also loving this reply

https://twitter.com/Rgaon/status/1197424217102438400?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm agreeing with a Lib Dem, send help.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
??????

I don't think anyone has suggested his actions defeated apartheid, only that he recognised it for for the racist bullshit it was and said as much while his peers legitimised/ignored it.

https://twitter.com/stephane_ulrich/status/1197491072072597504?s=19

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1197443218482302976?s=19

?????

Umm, Jeremy Corbyn was part of a smaller anti-apartheid group that criticised the uncritical Stalinist-led mainstream movement and took a more nuanced view towards the ANC, and therefore is terrible is a hell of a take. Weetman coming out as an unlikely supporter of Stalin and violent armed struggle?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

A wise man keeps his mouth shut lest he be thought a fool, but a fool gets given a job in the media.

:thunk:

The gently caress's that supposed to mean? Is this shitposting?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

In a previous life I was head of security at the bank the royal family uses. Had fairly regular visits from them, including Prince Andrew. I was given a very thorough briefing, including that not only was no wine to be served at lunch but that also no alcohol should be even visible to him. Make of that what you will.

Also had lunch with his protection detail- from glancing around that buzzfeed link I’m trying to figure out which of them was which.

Weirdly enough, alcoholism can cause anhidrosis (inability to sweat), so maybe there's something in Andrew's claims that he "can't remember" and "couldn't sweat".

Not that that puts anything else in a better light.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cuban MiGs in Angola did more than Jeremy Corbyn to end apartheid, so we should be sending them to Parliament instead of him.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh my. How do you like that, Centrists?

Looks like you really have lost control of the Labour Party :getin:

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/drcab1e/status/1197485427193733121

This isn't great.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

:siren:Second Home Tax:siren: posted:

Second homes tax
This is an annual levy on second homes that are used as holiday homes equivalent to 200% of
the current council tax bill for the property. Based on the following sources and work from the
House of Commons Library we estimate it could currently raise up to £560m a year:
• The 2018 council tax database published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and
Local Government
• Council tax levels for 2018-19 published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and
Local Government
• Microdata from the English Housing Survey
The council tax database indicates that as of October 2018 there are 251,654 properties classed
as ‘second homes’ for council tax purposes in England
Based on data on (a) the number of second homes by council tax band in each local authority
area and (b) the level of council tax payable by council tax band in each local authority area, we
can estimate that a levy equivalent to 200% of the current council tax bill for the property could
raise up to £800m a year.
Using the English Housing Survey microdata for 2013/14 (the latest year for which granular data
is available), we are able to estimate the split between the two main groups likely to be captured
in the council tax database – those with second homes as holiday homes, and those with second
homes for employment purposes - and estimate that up to 70% of second homes are used as
holiday homes .
Applying this percentage to the initial revenue figure yields a final estimate of around £560m per
year which has been reduced by 25% for uncertainty and behavioural change then adjusted for
inflation.

:getin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

That’s interesting, I guess the Scots word “clipe” meaning to tell or snitch is cognate with clepe as used in Middle English.

Also, why is this tweet

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

I'm going to need Tony Robinson to read this tweet out loud to make sense of it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh

quote:

Labour is committed to reforming the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to introduce self-declaration for transgender people, but we are not complacent about the culture shift required to make LGBT+ inclusivity a reality.

If you can self ID then that statement becomes pro-trans rather than terfy, but it's still bad for NB people.

e:

Reveilled posted:

That’s interesting, I guess the Scots word “clipe” meaning to tell or snitch is cognate with clepe as used in Middle English.

Also, why is this tweet
Because my day has been improved by "A ſmal catte be cleped a kitoun."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bit disappointed by the drug policy (or lack there of) in the manifesto though. Something about medical cannabis but that's about it other than saying prisons aren't the best place to treat people with drug problems.

Overwhelmingly positive but not perfect.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1197446453041541120?s=19

Lmaooooooooooo

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

Bit disappointed by the drug policy (or lack there of) in the manifesto though. Something about medical cannabis but that's about it other than saying prisons aren't the best place to treat people with drug problems.

Harm reduction rather than criminalisation was the takeaway for me there- which reads as decrim of cannabis at the very least. I would have liked ‘full legalisation and taxation’, but ngl there are bigger issues in the country right now to throw political capital at.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Lessons of 2010 learned there

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

I'm with you but I really wasn't expecting much on the matter, at least this time round.

I think as more of the yoot start to take the reins then there'll be a relatively quick turn around on the issue.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Guavanaut posted:

tbh I'm tired of the "where will the money come from" for these types of projects. Every pound spent on high quality free at point of use preschool pays back £2.10 in increased tax take from those children over the space of 40 years and saves £10.80 in reduced benefits use, criminality, or negative health outcomes, it pays for itself multiple times over. And that's excluding that all the teachers you hire will be spending money in local economies. Just issue bonds or print money or borrow on the sovereign debt market, you'll get your money back and more. It's like investing in the NHS, it's a no brainer. The idea that you need to raise a tax today or Brexit bonuses to pay for it is nonsense.

Please refer back to my posts about how costs are easy to measure, benefits much harder to quantify.

It's the same dumb short-sighted idiocy over and over and over again. Neoliberals are ripping out and selling for scrap the copper fittings of the welfare state because it's cash in hand now and gently caress everything else.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao, just tuned in to the last couple of minutes of Politics Live and was immediately greeted with the glorious sight of Chuka with a deer in the headlights look desperately trying to explain why the Lib Dems were cool and good, actually whilst a political cartoon of Jo Swinson as a squirrel was being broadcast on the screen.

Never ceases to amuse me how he just waltzed right into the LDs and immediately Jafar'd his way into becoming Swinson's No.2. He won't get the blame for it but it's quite obvious that he's got a major hand in all their brain genius manoeuvres that've been backfiring so spectacularly on them and I'm enjoying his downfall almost as much as Mike Gapes'

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

quote:

Second homes tax
This is an annual levy on second homes that are used as holiday homes equivalent to 200% of the current council tax bill for the property.
:getin:

As the Lib Dem parachute candidate for wherever this is – and definitely not still a Tory – I am committed to implementing a version of this policy that is similar, but better.

We will introduce a levy on second homes equivalent to 201% of the council tax bill for the property. This will be paired with a 100% council tax reduction for properties that are not a primary residence. I believe this is the fairest and most efficient way to achieve Real Change.

I'm still stuck in the tree that I landed in. Can someone cut me down, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1197499505970679815?s=20