Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

echopapa posted:

Bacta is tremendously valuable and your players remember it from the movies.

Yeah, Bacta is the in demand trade good for people with violent intentions and money to burn. Everybody wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
There's also good old sneakernet. Comes with the benefit of being 100% profit if you want to do the legwork yourself, and is easier to store en masse.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

If you’re playing primarily over discord there’s also some real good Dicebots for the game that’ll throw all the symbols in chat and calculate everything for you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm going to talk over what exactly we want to do, but I'm thinking a loose mission-by-mission campaign in a frontier sector where valuable military resources have been discovered, either EotE where they're criminals moving in with new opportunity or rebels trying to disrupt Imperial industry. Any suggestions for what the resource should be from people who remember more EU stuff than I do? Also, is the AoR core rulebook adventure worth running?

I did a mission-based AoR-focused campaign and set it in the Tion Sector. Not so much out of specific choice, more out of convenience (the campaign started as just an experiment in converting an old WEG D6 adventure to the FFG system... we went with Mission to Lianna). On the second mission I chose a random nearby system from swgalaxymap.com that didn't seem to have any real established lore on Wookieepedia, and made that our home base. Put a small Imperial mining facility and starfighter production plant on the planet, gave the base a Force-imbued mystery to be solved, and let the party take over the base and use it as the home of their Rebel cell.

Our missions generally kept us in that corner of the galaxy, but we did go farther afield a few times.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm starting a game as a droid. Are there any must have books to check out for modifications or other neat droid stuff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ever get official stats for the Cathar?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Not that I'm aware of, but the Unofficial Species Menagerie has stats for one, if that helps.

I wonder which species would a potential new trilogy sourcebook add. Not many notable aliens so far, except for Abednedos and the monkey from Solo I guess?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Azran posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but the Unofficial Species Menagerie has stats for one, if that helps.

I wonder which species would a potential new trilogy sourcebook add. Not many notable aliens so far, except for Abednedos and the monkey from Solo I guess?

Whatever Maz is?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

echopapa posted:

Bacta is tremendously valuable and your players remember it from the movies.

Yeah, an Old Republic bacta factory that has been shut down but can be repaired and brought operational fairly easily, plus it has a big cache of stored bacta. That gives a few things for factions to fight over - instant cash, a long-term cash cow - and the option for a longer-term commitment to a project if the party wants.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Solo, whatever else you think of it, also gives us Coaxium as a macguffin. Probably more valuable to the Alliance and Underworld than the Empire who would have established ironclad supply lines of it to fuel their fleets of countless evil triangles.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whatever Maz is?

I suppose Maz is gonna be another Yoda situation where they won't ever tell you the name of the species.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can't imagine a baby maz being cute.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It would just be a Smooth Maz.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

It would just be a Smooth Maz.

That sounds like a subgenre of jizz music.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm glad to see that Star Wars RPG and Genesys have not been completely left out in the cold by FFG's too many fires at once model of business. However, I still haven't gotten around to playing a Genesys game. Maybe I'll look on Discord or something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My friends have an EotE campaign starting up soon, I think everyone got the bug from the new television program.

I'm gonna make a Verpine tech dude. Not sure where to specialize with him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what's the good strategy with char building? Sink as much starting XP into your attributes because those are much harder to raise?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So what's the good strategy with char building? Sink as much starting XP into your attributes because those are much harder to raise?

Not for nothing, the rulebook explicitly very strongly encourages you to do this. Spend any "leftover" XP on talents and skills after you've boosted your stats as much as you can, but IINM the only way to raise stats is at the top teir of career talent trees. So go hog wild maxing them at chargen.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yeah I used to always blow most of my starting XP on stats, and at most saving for a talent or two.

It's very easy to control talent gain if you know how much your GM hands out every game, but attributes are much harder to come by.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't believe there is a Genesys specific thread still so; are there any decent Space Fantasy sources for Genesys? I found this on DTRPG and I'm wondering if there is more.

It's likely a long time off but the campaign would be a continuation of one where the game ended with the PCs on a cracked and dying planet after being transported from their own, the eventual goal being to find their way home despite not knowing anything about its location in the space fantasy galaxy.

Mostly I just don't want to have to do a bunch of designs for "typical" fantasy races plus new ones, and a bunch of new classes/talent trees.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't believe there is a Genesys specific thread still so; are there any decent Space Fantasy sources for Genesys? I found this on DTRPG and I'm wondering if there is more.

It's likely a long time off but the campaign would be a continuation of one where the game ended with the PCs on a cracked and dying planet after being transported from their own, the eventual goal being to find their way home despite not knowing anything about its location in the space fantasy galaxy.

Mostly I just don't want to have to do a bunch of designs for "typical" fantasy races plus new ones, and a bunch of new classes/talent trees.

There is a fan-created menagerie of Star Wars species that is fairly extensive, it might be worth looking up and then you can just give them a new name and maybe appearance if they're well-known.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How is the Gatekeeper/Force adventure? Does the beginner box lead into it nicely? I'm wondering what the most natural progression would be for a group of Force sensitives using the published adventure content. Can anyone give me their opinion?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think Gatekeeper's pretty okay. I ran it about a year and a half ago, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but:

Act 1: probably the weakest part in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the basically-Endor planet, but it's fine.
Act 2: good, and quite sandboxy in its approach. Has some good setting, especially if the party is into the Clone Wars and run-down dingy urban atmospheres.
Act 3: good but iirc quite short, especially if your GM is good at worldbuilding and running a slightly horror-ish game. The big reveal is telegraphed a mile away though, which makes that much a little underwhelming.

The adventure also includes an optional "Act 0" which acts as the hook... it's short and sweet, but does the job.

The unique Force power from the module is also pretty interesting from a narrative standpoint.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Isn't there also a F&D series of adventures that's like Mountaintop Something -> ?? -> ??

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope we get a sourcebook for the immediate post-Endor setting of The Mandolorian. It seems perfect for running any of the three core books or mux and match.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

For Gatekeeper, I had modified a couple things when I ran it. There's a bounty hunter/gang leader who they can meet in Act 2 that can follow them to Act 3 before the big showdown. My group had made nice with her and been forthright, so it didn't make sense for her to show up, but I also didn't want them just fighting ghosts and stuff. Instead, I brought back the apprentice from Act 1. This led to some cool scenes with the big bad, especially since that relationship was ripe for exploration.

A previous post mentioned it, but the big reveal is telegraphed such that everyone knew what was going on the minute they landed and met a certain someone, though. Makes it hard to keep things under wraps while they proceed to explore, so consider not tipping your hand too early.

Also, if your players are a bit lost, the holocron is a great resource for them to get some advice from. Mine constantly forgot they had it.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 2, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Crumbletron posted:

Instead, I brought back the apprentice from Act 1. This led to some cool scenes with the big bad, especially since that relationship was ripe for exploration.

Oh yeah, that character was definitely the one that got the most mileage for our group. They not only torched his mansion but also arrested him and kept him confined as he went insane while reliving the trauma of losing Warde. I also reframed their relationship a bit so that it was less master/apprentice and more gay space lovers, which the module already hints at several times anyway.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I hope we get a sourcebook for the immediate post-Endor setting of The Mandolorian. It seems perfect for running any of the three core books or mux and match.

If they don't do one, it seems like they'd be leaving money on the table.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Leaving money on the table is very on-brand for FFG in my eyes, when we were playing this actively they could never keep the books in stock for huge stretches

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Crumbletron posted:

For Gatekeeper, I had modified a couple things when I ran it. There's a bounty hunter/gang leader who they can meet in Act 2 that can follow them to Act 3 before the big showdown. My group had made nice with her and been forthright, so it didn't make sense for her to show up, but I also didn't want them just fighting ghosts and stuff. Instead, I brought back the apprentice from Act 1. This led to some cool scenes with the big bad, especially since that relationship was ripe for exploration.

A previous post mentioned it, but the big reveal is telegraphed such that everyone knew what was going on the minute they landed and met a certain someone, though. Makes it hard to keep things under wraps while they proceed to explore, so consider not tipping your hand too early.

Also, if your players are a bit lost, the holocron is a great resource for them to get some advice from. Mine constantly forgot they had it.

Can you be more specific? Post in spoiler tags if you have to, I'm the GM. I also plan on purchasing a holocron replica from Etsy, so hopefully it stays in the front of their brain. Do you mean the apprentice Malcoff I think it was?

Also I have a general question about Force powers. When you roll on the Force die, and it comes up as dark, do you have to then go ahead and give in? I could've swore there was a penalty for using them in this way... maybe Conflict? It seems strange that so many of the faces are dark if you couldn't just resist and choose then not to use whatever power if it was dark.
E: I was listening to an actual play podcast that didn't involve the conflict, strain, and destiny point for using dark, I think. That's the cost, right?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 2, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Also I have a general question about Force powers. When you roll on the Force die, and it comes up as dark, do you have to then go ahead and give in? I could've swore there was a penalty for using them in this way... maybe Conflict? It seems strange that so many of the faces are dark if you couldn't just resist and choose then not to use whatever power if it was dark.

Spending dark side pips, which you are correct-- generate Conflict, is optional. If you roll 2 force dice and generate say 1 light and 1 dark pip on a Move you could just spend the light pip for the basic effect, or spend both for an enhanced effect you have trained and eat the Conflict.

The dice are more likely to come up with dark pips because that's the quicker, easier, and more seductive path but if you take the long road and add your second and third dice representing being further down the path of the Force, you can more reliably activate powers spending only light pips.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Can you be more specific? Post in spoiler tags if you have to, I'm the GM. I also plan on purchasing a holocron replica from Etsy, so hopefully it stays in the front of their brain. Do you mean the apprentice Malcoff I think it was?

Yup, that's the guy. He was more or less left on that tree planet in his formative years, and became a tyrant, for lack of better role models in his life at this point. There's a lot of subtext to explore between him and Warde, so I felt it would be particularly poignant if he were the one to come to Moraband instead of, I want to say, the leader of the White Scar. In my game, Marcolf was left beaten and confused. Whatever he was thinking of doing, Moraband's energies made him lash out at the players for destroying his life. I let the players talk it out with him, and basically convince him that this might be his one chance at getting real answers. He joined along with them at this point and helped them out during the final battle with Warde. You can play up the foster dad/son thing like a take on Obi/Anakin or go for the less obvious space lovers route mentioned above, which I wish I'd done now. In any case, I didn't feel like the original encounter there, which is mostly the lady and her IG-100s, were particularly thematic.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like that idea a lot, I'll use it and thanks for the input. Also gives him a chance to come back equipped with a lightsaber. Maybe even some cybernetic parts depending on how the combat goes down.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It appears that most characters can't upgrade their Force Rating unless you like.. purchase a specialization with one of the talents, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

It appears that most characters can't upgrade their Force Rating unless you like.. purchase a specialization with one of the talents, right?

Yeah getting your force rating up takes a while, they put them at the bottom of the talent trees like the stat boosts for non-Force sensitive careers. And any career specialization that starts you with a Force rating of 1 doesn't let you cheese the system by stacking the starting point by just taking more specializations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

But even having two force dice compared to one is a big step

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's a thing where it takes a while to upgrade but the upgrade itself is a pretty sizable one so it manages to feel worth the effort

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah it should be as big a deal to upgrade your Force Rating as the Gunslinger getting their AGI up to 5 or the like.

The system is decent, you just need to understand that without an advanced start (like the "knight level play" option) your Force Guy is gonna be low key dude who can kind of read minds or sorta do telekenesis, not a Tartovsky Clone Wars Jedi.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the base level jedi is more 'I got a feeling this guy is lying' or 'I can move small things' kinda level. Still quite useful and feels unique in a setting post 66 and all but it'll be a bit before you're force-backflipping and throwing your lightsaber through three droids before throwing their bodies hard enough to bust a tank or other Clone Wars Anakin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reading that it doesn't feel like you'd rocket out of control, or at least give the GM time to prepare for 'oh, they can jump really high now.'