Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kai Tave posted:

The "worst person you know made a great point" meme goes here.

He seems pretty wrong there tbh, unless that quote is incredibly out of context and he's arguing against someone who grogged out about how a world with pokemon couldn't look like the game/TV show because of how war would work so proposing his own alternate better setting for pokemon.

This isn't like folks arguing over why their favorite themes or mechanics from their favorite version of pokemon is "the true heart of pokemon" or what has to be in a TTRPG adaptation and what can be discarded. That exchange is more like someone looking at stuff that wasn't in pokemon and saying "Well, yeah you did include an anthropomorphic charizard in your erotic steampunk thriller about zeppelin captains, but that's not really pokemon anymore, none of that is part of pokemon"
Pokemon does not need rules for mounted cavalry combat, guns, or for humans loving pokemon or whatever. You're making a new game if you focus on any of that stuff and using an existing IP as a crutch for your own failing imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolness Averted posted:

He seems pretty wrong there tbh, unless that quote is incredibly out of context and he's arguing against someone who grogged out about how a world with pokemon couldn't look like the game/TV show because of how war would work so proposing his own alternate better setting for pokemon.

This isn't like folks arguing over why their favorite themes or mechanics from their favorite version of pokemon is "the true heart of pokemon" or what has to be in a TTRPG adaptation and what can be discarded. That exchange is more like someone looking at stuff that wasn't in pokemon and saying "Well, yeah you did include an anthropomorphic charizard in your erotic steampunk thriller about zeppelin captains, but that's not really pokemon anymore, none of that is part of pokemon"
Pokemon does not need rules for mounted cavalry combat, guns, or for humans loving pokemon or whatever. You're making a new game if you focus on any of that stuff and using an existing IP as a crutch for your own failing imagination.

No you see there was a giant war in Pokemon and all the adults died

:goonsay:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Coolness Averted posted:

Len posted:

No you see there was a giant war in Pokemon and all the adults died

:goonsay:

But enough about Pokemon Conquest

Idk really I never played it because it looked silly

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Coolness Averted posted:

On the one hand, yeah, Pokemon games are not remotely interested in a clash between combined Poke-Arms military force, either thematically or mechanically.

On the other hand, a knight riding around on a Rapidash seems pretty awesome, so... :shrug:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's a key part of the backstory in Pokemon X/Y that 3,000 years before the game a massive war broke out that pokemon fought and died in. A king created a magic machine to restore his dead pokemon friend and then converted the magic machine into a super weapon that wiped out both sides of the war.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a key part of the backstory in Pokemon X/Y that 3,000 years before the game a massive war broke out that pokemon fought and died in. A king created a magic tool to restore his dead pokemon friend and then converted the magic tool into a super weapon that wiped out both sides of the war.

I mean, yeah, but it's just "There was a war where a lot of people and Pokemon died a long time ago. It ended when the ancient king used a FORBIDDEN WEAPON that killed his beloved Pokemon." It's not looking at "Well, if you use Charazards as flamethrowers, you can breach the Onyx-dug trench that the Decidueye are using as a forward sniping position," nor is it saying much other than "War is bad." You could replace it with another ancient tragedy where the King was guilty, and I'm not sure what would change in the story.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Games Workshop first brought back Squats, now they're bringing back the Old World. As long as they stay clear of Pygmies, everything's gonna be fine and dandy.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Azran posted:

Games Workshop first brought back Squats, now they're bringing back the Old World. As long as they stay clear of Pygmies, everything's gonna be fine and dandy.

You can't beat the old school British racism out of Fantasy with a big stick. Pygmies were just the worst of it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, yeah, but it's just "There was a war where a lot of people and Pokemon died a long time ago. It ended when the ancient king used a FORBIDDEN WEAPON that killed his beloved Pokemon." It's not looking at "Well, if you use Charazards as flamethrowers, you can breach the Onyx-dug trench that the Decidueye are using as a forward sniping position," nor is it saying much other than "War is bad." You could replace it with another ancient tragedy where the King was guilty, and I'm not sure what would change in the story.

I'm just saying, there were probably rapidash cavalries

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm just saying, there were probably rapidash cavalries

but we don't need rules for something that's in backstory. I'm not going to say a knight of a flaming horse isn't a cool image either, just it's not part of pokemon's focus. Just like people probably do have sex in nearly every setting but we don't need random trollop encounter tables.

Hell, there are accountants in pokemon too, but we don't need a subsystem for poke-taxes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

but we don't need rules for something that's in backstory. I'm not going to say a knight of a flaming horse isn't a cool image either, just it's not part of pokemon's focus. Just like people probably do have sex in nearly every setting but we don't need random trollop encounter tables.

Hell, there are accountants in pokemon too, but we don't need a subsystem for poke-taxes

I feel like you don't get the Gaming Den

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I am 100% certain if there were ever a Pokemon War fleshed out it'd just be trainers with pokemon who were dastardly enough to not stop when the other dude went 'uncle' and that was the horrible terrible war.

Like if you're approaching Pokemon from an angle that reaches our real world cavalry only Rapidashes that uh... that's boring and also ignores the setting, I think? Like this is a setting where criminal Pokemon gangs have world domination schemes that get foiled by preteens. It's not meant to stand up to hyper-realistic what-if-our-world-but-Pokemon because... it's not our world, there's different base assumptions underlying everything that sorta don't include our real world militarism.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Rapidash cavalry is a great idea

But it’s just a woman on a rapidash who catches sight of you, charges at you with her rapidash, and then dismounts and challenges you to a pokemon duel

and one of her pokemon is a rapidash

So more like rapidash dragoons, which is even better, come to think of it

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Darwinism posted:

it's not our world, there's different base assumptions underlying everything that sorta don't include our real world militarism.

I wonder why guns exist in the anime then. I don't want a Pokemon TTRPG either but I think you should let nerds explore settings past what's presented in their immediately available commercial products.

Monokeros deAstris posted:

But it’s just a woman on a rapidash who catches sight of you, charges at you with her rapidash, and then dismounts and challenges you to a pokemon duel

Rapidash Cavalry but the riders are other Pokemon

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
officer jenny: the lesbian wars

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

fool_of_sound posted:

You can't beat the old school British racism out of Fantasy with a big stick. Pygmies were just the worst of it.

Oh, there's still plenty of racism in the setting, but I doubt they will backtrack on it so much as quietly brush it under the rug. I wish they'd flesh out a bit more all the non-white human nations, for starters. Such a drat shame Araby didn't make it into Total War Warhammer.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

I wonder why guns exist in the anime then. I don't want a Pokemon TTRPG either but I think you should let nerds explore settings past what's presented in their immediately available commercial products.

Evangelion proves you should never let nerds explore anything, ever

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Capfalcon posted:

On the one hand, yeah, Pokemon games are not remotely interested in a clash between combined Poke-Arms military force, either thematically or mechanically.

Some of the early pokemon mangas (back in the red/blue days) were super wild and violent, it was great. Officer Jenny and her sidekick, a Khangaskhan, dropping out of the sky on a flying motorcycle, both firing guns wildly.

R.... really?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
edit: They're talking about the original version I think not the new alternate (fairy type? I'm assuming) ones from the newest games

Arivia posted:

I feel like you don't get the Gaming Den

remember what started this was Kai Tave making a joke about trollman being right. I get the gaming den's brainworms, but I don't understand why anyone here would have the same ones

:yeah:

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 21, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rapidash cavalry in a Pokemon RPG would be silly but Rapidash cavalry in an RPG set in the Pokemon universe sounds rad.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
"Charge!" I cry as I ride my Rapidash into battle. I am immediately destroyed by a critical Hydro Pump

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ettin posted:

"Charge!" I cry as I ride my Rapidash into battle. I am immediately destroyed by a critical Hydro Pump

Implying my Dugtrio scouts didn't catch this vital intelligence, and that my Electrode loaded trebuchets wouldn't counter them effortlessly
:mil101:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coolness Averted posted:

remember what started this was Kai Tave making a joke about trollman being right. I get the gaming den's brainworms, but I don't understand why anyone here would have the same ones

Goons and irony maybe ?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There was a game that explored Pokémon warfare. It’s called Pokémon Conquest and fights were just 6v6 Pokémon battles where the losers went “oh no!” and ran away.

Nobunaga’s evil plan was to kill God, both figuratively and metaphorically so that people would be nicer to their Pokémon

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

Thanks for saying I have brainworms because I stated "rapidash cavalries probably existed", I guess. I don't see where I demanded detailed rules regarding mounted pokemon combat and honestly you're spinning a lot of fanfic out of a two word statement from one guy.

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuns with Guns posted:

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

Obviously you start with the perfect role-playing system: D&D 3.5

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for saying I have brainworms because I stated "rapidash cavalries probably existed", I guess. I don't see where I demanded detailed rules regarding mounted pokemon combat and honestly you're spinning a lot of fanfic out of a two word statement from one guy.

Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you for remembering lore from a pokemon game. I
I specifically said the folks here don't have those weird views of rpgs. We have completely different weird views of games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Obviously you start with the perfect role-playing system: D&D 3.5

excuse me the perfect system is now 5e, or Strike if you're a poster here

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I am really enjoying the Sentinels RPG playtest materials I have, the character creation and basic mechanics are exceptional. Just got the chapter about villain management and I generally like it, but it seems like there's some problems with villain abilities that could lead to cascading bad times/feels for the players, and while the acknowledge them, they don't fix them, just saying "Try not to do this obvious thing that would be smart but mean."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And people think that Anime/Manga trpgs should be rules light storygames...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Plutonis posted:

Tag yourself, I'm GLUTTONY LV10

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is that intentionally or unintentionally silly?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PinheadSlim posted:

Tag yourself, I'm GLUTTONY LV10

Im gross feeder, call me :wink:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
at least it's ODORLESS LV10.

and also TN: LOTS OF WEIRD SKILLS HERE

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Heresy Resistance LV9

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
im <THREAD USER> 90s Cringe Rock, nice to meet u all

apparently the <THREAD USER> tag does Things with SALR

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 21, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Plutonis posted:

It's the anime version of a CK2 character that hits immortality at the start and just keeps getting more and more traits.

Edit: I mean, it literally has the "Blood Relative Eater" trait.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Plutonis posted:

So what you're saying is, it's a mechanics conflict and she starts with a pool of 6d6 IC, 6d6 Numbers, and 7d10 Raid Boss BS.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I unironically think more RPGs should have space for custom titles you can earn, especially if they do something mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
d&d level titles, except after the first few they're left blank and you have to earn a new one to level up