Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

wyoak posted:

The docks are a terrible waste of space and player time, Union boss’s office should have just been in the first door instead of that winding path. The other long walks I didn’t mind quite as much for some reason.
Not just a winding path, but a winding path through multiple load screens. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Hello thread, as someone who has just started this game and hasn't played a lot like it in the past: Do I need to keep my own notes? Or is the game structured in a way to job your memory as needed.

Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pthighs posted:

Hello thread, as someone who has just started this game and hasn't played a lot like it in the past: Do I need to keep my own notes? Or is the game structured in a way to job your memory as needed.

Thanks!

There's an ingame journal. You don't need to keep your own notes and I can't think of any reason that would be beneficial.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pthighs posted:

Thanks!

No need to note take

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

wyoak posted:

The docks are a terrible waste of space and player time, Union boss’s office should have just been in the first door instead of that winding path. The other long walks I didn’t mind quite as much for some reason.

Agreed. If anything, once I've gone through one way or another, open up a direct path to Claire's container.
It's all the more puzzling that they included a "push the tree" shortcut next to the ravers' tent that saves maybe 10 seconds of running around. But they didn't for a path you're more likely than not going to take a number of times, that takes 2 zone changes and a long winding path ?!

Same goes for Klaasje. You have a choice between going up the stairs, into her room, up the stairs THEN out the room ; or into the backroom up to the attic out onto the balcony. Every time. Just let me fasten a rope made out of my own beard hair from the balcony and down the outside wall or something.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

There's an ingame journal. You don't need to keep your own notes and I can't think of any reason that would be beneficial.

Wafflecopper posted:

No need to note take

Thanks!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, if I have one beef with DE it's that the nuts and bolts of getting around some areas is just irritating, ESPECIALLY the docks.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

It came out today and you heard nothing because all the reviewers got the game at the same time as everyone else, so they're rushing to play enough to review it. Also this was done on a Kickstarter budget so there's no real advertising to speak of.

It's maximum Shenmue, it is like a love letter to fans of the originals, and the magic is still there. You can still open capsule toys, ask strangers dumb questions, and play a thousand minigames. The only thing that's a little lame is they didn't implement throws in the fighting engine, but I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and it feels a lot like Sekiro where you have to watch body language and look for openings in combo patterns.

Oh and it's the same voice actor as the original and his voice and delivery are identical after 18 years so that's trippy.

poo poo yes, just what I wanted. I can't wait to be a maximum autism martial artist. I love the VA for reprising his role, that's so cool.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you're sick of running around the dock yard, keep pumpin points into interfacing. that way you'll keep finding new machines to point out to your best bud kim :)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

chaosapiant posted:

Sometimes I feel like the weird-man out. What I expected from POE 1, based on its Kickstarter, was exactly what I got. A fairly dry/generic fantasy game that harkened back to the dry/generic Forgotten Realms setting, but with the writing quality and general reactivity of an Obsidian game. I got exactly that and loved it.

yeah basically this is exactly what i got. i read some of the kickstarter npcs, didnt real others, thought the system that included them was pretty well done, and i enjoyed basically all the companions. none of them were as good as kim or lantry, but the former is your only companion and the latter is one of the best companions in a game imo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When did it tell you the ghost people were backer NPCs, incidentally? I must have missed that in my playthrough, I went through the first half of the game expecting them to be relevant to the plot in some cryptic way because I had magic ghost seeing powers, until their status as backer NPCs was mentioned off-hand on a forum post I was reading and it became immediately apparent there'd be nothing plot relevant to them.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Verviticus posted:

yeah basically this is exactly what i got. i read some of the kickstarter npcs, didnt real others, thought the system that included them was pretty well done, and i enjoyed basically all the companions. none of them were as good as kim or lantry, but the former is your only companion and the latter is one of the best companions in a game imo

I expected what I got from the White March from the start, basically.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reveilled posted:

When did it tell you the ghost people were backer NPCs, incidentally? I must have missed that in my playthrough, I went through the first half of the game expecting them to be relevant to the plot in some cryptic way because I had magic ghost seeing powers, until their status as backer NPCs was mentioned off-hand on a forum post I was reading and it became immediately apparent there'd be nothing plot relevant to them.

There's a loading screen message that tells you "people with gold names are backers" and "graves are backers too, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking there, read at your own mah immersion risk"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Both PoE games are great. They do what they say they're gonna do on the label, though. If you don't want a real time with pause obsidian rpg experience, they aren't for you. If you do, they are. I wish Deadfire had been a bigger commercial success.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
...or any kind of success, commercially speaking.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kobal2 posted:

There's a loading screen message that tells you "people with gold names are backers" and "graves are backers too, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking there, read at your own mah immersion risk"

Shenmue 3 has a backer wall that you have to go out of the way to see and is done 99% tastefully... except there had to be the one guy who named himself "Tronald Dump", thanks for that, real class act

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think backer NPCs should be recruitable and have their own dialogue trees and sidequests because god only knows how fantastically unintentionally hilarious they would be

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Songbearer posted:

I think backer NPCs should be recruitable and have their own dialogue trees and sidequests because god only knows how fantastically unintentionally hilarious they would be

Undertale had a diaperfur hidden boss. Don't pull that thread.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
PoEs are both good but if you haven't played either just go in to PoE II. It's got the historical materialism of Disco Elysium it's just not quite as artful about loredumping only at appropriate times. Also it's pre-industrial era so you can't do communism, you can only oppose imperialism.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

wit posted:

Proof that some people should be banned from... spending money or something I don't know, that was really god drat stupid.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

2019 and people are still mad at the furry in undertale

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Knowing how unnecessary and out of place something is doesn't mean anybody's mad. I'm only glad it was properly buried in the game.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Finished it last night. Disco Elysium is a wonderful experience. Genuinely funny writing, fantastic characters and worth every penny. Will be buying the expansion day one.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

wit posted:

I thought it was a fatfur/feeder fur but I might be wrong

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Within the game that character is perfectly fine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
IIRC, for that character you really had to go out of your way to encounter him, like set-your-system-clock out of the way. I honestly couldn't care much about it at the time. It was just some kickstarter backer or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just went and had a look and the character is 100% in line with all the other characters in the game (and actually humorous and good boss design). The guy who contributed the design draws chubby furries in his spare time. I'm chalking this up to probably adolescent Undertale fans being busybodies.

Back to Disco Elysium, the only time I ever had a "my immersion!" moment was Conceptualization called all architects "autistim" so not only is that anachronistic or whatever the term would be for feeling out of place for that universe, but it was misspelled. I wonder if they've patched in spelling corrections yet, there's a lot and I'm sure the crowd could point them all out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 21, 2019

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Has an expansion been commented on/confirmed by the devs?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rookoo posted:

Pretty sure they said they want to do both an expansion and a sequel but as far as I know nothing is confirmed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rookoo posted:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Conceptualisation: A curious prospect, to expand upon a world doomed to shrink.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

to elaborate on this a bit, Idiot Doom Spiral (that would be a great forums name) tells you you'd have to move that truck to get the cocaine skull

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

to elaborate on this a bit, Idiot Doom Spiral (that would be a great forums name) tells you you'd have to move that truck to get the cocaine skull

Yup, this. And my Electro-chemistry was very enthusiastic about the whole thing. It is apparently absolutely critical to my investigations that I immediately drop *everything* and do my utmost to secure 250g of royally pure COCAIIIIINE. Who am I to disagree ? That's sound, solid logic right there.
I must, therefore, logically ask "Disco DLC when ?!" about 600 times per minute to anyone within earshot.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Also, à propos of nothing, I hadn't noticed how *good* the dynamic shadows were in this game until I tried checking on the phasmid traps at night with the flashlight. The way the shadows of reed bushes and driftwood scurry about as you run through familiar areas is eerie as all getout.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Has anyone done a cheat playthough where you give yourself 15 in all stats?

In DE I’m unsure if it would make the game completely schizophrenic with all the voices going at once.

Cheatcop next...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DropsySufferer posted:

Has anyone done a cheat playthough where you give yourself 15 in all stats?
Yeah. It's not that overwhelming.

Next playthrough should be with nothing but 1's (except for endurance and volition, so I don't kill myself). If only I could properly figure out how to edit files in a way the game recognizes.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the game will let you start with 1 in all stats. i found it easier to just cheat engine in one billion healing items

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
All the stats allude to each having a downside when they are specced too high, I assumed as a kind of counterbalance to the "15 in everything" powergaming mentality, but I don't think it was actually implemented in game? I had like 10 in Volition and it didn't seem to have any downside.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Only played a little bit thus far. Is being pantless going to be a problem? I don't like my pants.

Actually, is it viable to play through the game naked? If so, is this game a souls-like? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

All the stats allude to each having a downside when they are specced too high, I assumed as a kind of counterbalance to the "15 in everything" powergaming mentality, but I don't think it was actually implemented in game? I had like 10 in Volition and it didn't seem to have any downside.

basically they will just give you questionable suggestions at times....volition never does though because its the hero of the story