Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

cr0y posted:

Like....why? What does Facebook have to gain by felating trump? FB has more money than god and any stupid "stop censoring racism" EO will be tied up in court until the end of the trump admin so I really dont understand the point in zuck cozying upto trump.

Isn't FB basically turning into a platform for mad boomers now? That's a lotta Trump/Zuck crossover right there.

Plus he might be gearing up to buy another massive chunk of the internet real estate and needs to suck some government dick to waive the antitrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cr0y posted:

Like....why? What does Facebook have to gain by felating trump? FB has more money than god and any stupid "stop censoring racism" EO will be tied up in court until the end of the trump admin so I really dont understand the point in zuck cozying upto trump.
It seems like they are courting the right wing to avoid being broken up or have the hammer come down on them for all of their poo poo

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

cr0y posted:

I am sure there are higher ups at Facebook (possibly the Zuck humself) jealous of the amount of exposure Twitter gets through Trump and want to get in on that, if only marginally. Facebook doesn't exactly need more exposure, but when you have every other news story name-dropping your company, it still helps your brand a heck of a lot.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197491477573709825
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197493067571486720
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197499643086753793
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197500777851432960
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197502055415451654
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197503791744069632
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197504142178242560
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197507542726909952

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Aramis posted:

I am sure there are higher ups at Facebook (possibly the Zuck humself) jealous of the amount of exposure Twitter gets through Trump and want to get in on that, if only marginally. Facebook doesn't exactly need more exposure, but when you have every other news story name-dropping your company, it still helps your brand a heck of a lot.

A lot of the higher ups at Facebook are outright Republican operatives. See here

quote:

Indeed, the three top leaders of Facebook's DC office all have extensive backgrounds in Republican politics: Vice President for Global Public Policy Joel Kaplan; Vice President for U.S. Public Policy Kevin Martin; and Public Policy Director for Global Elections Katie Harbath....

The most powerful man in Facebook's DC office is Joel Kaplan, who is in charge of the company's public policy globally. Kaplan, who was hired by Facebook in 2011, was deputy White House chief of staff during the George W. Bush administration.

Kaplan landed in the spotlight after serious allegations of sexual harassment emerged against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. In a show of support, Kaplan sat behind Kavanaugh during the Senate hearing about the allegations, angering many Facebook employees.

Today, Kaplan serves as an advocate for right-wing sites on Facebook. "Any time there was an issue with Breitbart or Daily Caller, Joel made the decision, and he always acted to protect them," the former Facebook employee told Popular Information.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Kaplan "pushed to partner with right-wing news site The Daily Caller’s fact-checking division" after conservatives complained that other fact-checkers, like the Associated Press, had a liberal bias. Kaplan overruled other executives in the DC office who noted that the Daily Caller frequently published misinformation. Kaplan also pushed to maintain Breitbart's "whitelist" status on Facebook, which allowed the publication to evade Facebook's rules on hate speech.

Before joining Facebook in 2011, Harbath was the chief digital strategist for the Republican National Committee. She was also the digital director for Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign. Her work in Republican politics dates back until at least 2003.

Harbath didn't give up her involvement in Republican Party politics after joining Facebook. In 2014, she was an official delegate to the Virginia Republican Convention, where she supported the nomination of her former boss, Ed Gillespie, for Senate....

In her role at Facebook, she also assisted the Gillespie campaign on Facebook strategy, according to sources familiar with her work. When Gillespie lost by less than one point -- a much closer margin than expected -- she touted an article which highlighted Gillespie's innovative Facebook tactics.

Facebook's DC office ensures that the company's content policies meet the approval of Republicans in Congress. A major player in that effort is the company's Vice President for U.S. Public Policy, Kevin Martin.

"When content decisions are made to please Republican lawmakers, Kevin [Martin] and Joel [Kaplan] will be a part of that process," the former Facebook employee told Popular Information.

Martin, who is close friends with Kaplan, was appointed to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) by President George W. Bush in 2001. He was appointed to be the FCC chairman in 2005.

His tenure at the FCC is memorialized in a 110-page report produced by the House Energy and Commerce Committee entitled "Deception and Distrust: The Federal Communication Commission under Chairman Kevin J. Martin." The report found that Martin "manipulated and withheld information from the other FCC commissioners and from Congress, neglected his statutory responsibilities to produce certain information to Congress, and ignored evidence that certain national communications programs were being grossly mismanaged." According to the report, Martin's "heavy-handed, opaque, and non-collegial management style...created distrust, suspicion, and turmoil."

But Facebook was able to overlook Martin's weaknesses because of his deep commitment to deregulation of the communications industry. Zuckerberg recently described Elizabeth Warren's proposals to enforce antitrust regulations against Facebook as an "existential" threat to the company.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 21, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Executive Time going well this morning, I see.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
President Totally-Not-Mad.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Executive time tweets

I don't know if it's because the bots are being banned on a massive scale or I did a good job blocking the usual offenders, but man, 99% of the replies to his tweets are dunking on him from all sides.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I can't stop laughing whenever I hear "warfighter".

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

FizFashizzle posted:

It's a couple of things.

Younger generations just aren't signing up for facebook like they did in the early 2000s. there are too many alternatives, and the zoomers are far more internet savvy than any previous generation. The user base for facebook in the united states is probably not going to grow much going forward, and all the money is A.) advertising to the boomers who have it and B.) getting the ad clicks from the conspiracy theory folks. That naturally puts them in the republican camp.

Then, as Facebook tries to involve by going into banking and finance and crypto, they're going to need political allies. The GOP is essentially the political arm of the shameless business class so of course they're going to go to them, and trump is the most idiotic of them all.

There are going to be a lot of hail marys from the business community over the next ten months or so as they try to cash out their chips with the trump organization.

I'm honestly surprised when anyone in my early 30s/no progeny demographic tells me they still use Facebook. But then again, I think Instagram is incredibly popular and that's owned by Facebook.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you can't fool me, that's Eric Trump

No, that's some genetic experiment to replace Gary Busey

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

No, that's some genetic experiment to replace Gary Busey

Weird way to announce the remake of "The 6th Day" but all right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I fuckin swear, every tweet of his I'm like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzypHJUMMo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

half cocaine posted:

I can't stop laughing whenever I hear "warfighter".
I have a nice letter from the Army thanking me for my paet in the Global War on Terrorism that uses that term liberally.

It is hilarious for two reasons: I didn't do anything to fight terrorism, and the Army spells it's name wrong.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

One of the poetic ironies of our recent history is that Rep. Adam Schiff replaced Jim Rogan in 2000.

Jim Rogan was one of the 13 House Members chosen to present the case for impeaching Clinton to the Senate in 1998.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Trump "They talked about me so much!"
Aid "This is a bad thing, sir."
Trump "Free publicity"
Aid "No sir, they implicated you and your whole staff in crimes"
Rudy pops up from behind one of the oval office couches "Did someone say....Crimes?! We did all the crimes! Where is the man I tell about the crimes?!"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ewiley posted:

Yeah she's from the UK originally. Maybe slightly more Scottish than classic London accent tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQ6AovjYDA

it's northern english of some kind. slightly scottish, slightly brummie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

You can't tell me there's not a horse in the Guiliani family tree somewhere.

Giuliani married his cousin and we know all about Trump's view of his daughters so that explains Giuliani's son and Eric Trump but do we know the deal with Mitt Romney's son yet?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

VH4Ever posted:

Looks like today's testimony is going to come out swinging.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1197494644097142784

Yea all the people complaining that the testimony is boring better hold onto their assholes, she really isn't going to take any stupid poo poo that the Republicans keep trying. If you read any of her released deposition, she blows their stupid poo poo out of the water, hard. It is clear that she really understands and cares about the potential damage having people believe this stupid conspiracy crap, and isn't afraid to speak up and do so eloquently.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

"S.T.A.R.S..."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don’t know why but “Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!” made me laugh, so thanks, Trump, I needed that.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I have a nice letter from the Army thanking me for my paet in the Global War on Terrorism that uses that term liberally.

It is hilarious for two reasons: I didn't do anything to fight terrorism, and the Army spells it's name wrong.

I need to know how they misspelled Army.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CmdrRiker posted:

I'm honestly surprised when anyone in my early 30s/no progeny demographic tells me they still use Facebook. But then again, I think Instagram is incredibly popular and that's owned by Facebook.

It is owned by Facebook.

Facebook is however terrified that a democratic administration would force them to split it off, or at the very least force them to completely compartmentalize the user data they Hoover up on both platforms.

Fun story, I tried to sign up for Instagram a year or so ago and the account was immediately frozen. They demanded a picture of my photo ID to unlock it.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 21, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
"What they are doing is not legal. But I’m clean, and when I release my financial statement (my decision) sometime prior to Election, it will only show one thing - that I am much richer than people even thought - And that is a good thing. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!"

Totally what a normal, not-guilty person would say.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

abelwingnut posted:

it's northern english of some kind. slightly scottish, slightly brummie?

Nah, not Scottish or Brummie, County Durham accent. North East England

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don’t know why but “Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!” made me laugh, so thanks, Trump, I needed that.

That's also what he wanted to name the corporate tax cut bill. Just the "jobs, Jobs, JOBS!" act.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you can't fool me, that's Eric Trump

loving lazy devs reusing sprites. I flashed back to the time I played Chrono Trigger and was expected to feel bad for Lucca's mom but it's difficult when both her parents are generic townsfolk NPCs.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Trump's pick for NOAA administrator just withdrew. Barry Myers was CEO of AccuWeather and had a long history (working with Rick Santorum) of trying to block NOAA from releasing its forecasts publicly, so that AccuWeather could sell them instead.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Unfortunately for a ton of Americans, Facebook has basically replaced systems like Craigslist (which arguably replaced newspaper classifieds) for buying/selling used goods in a lot of areas. Family members of mine who don’t have a lot of money keep an active Facebook account specifically for their yard sale sections in case an appliance craps the bed.

Like it or not, it’s worked it’s tentacles into small-town America and even some career paths have become dependent on Facebook for things like temp work. It’s why I never criticize people for keeping an account because for all I know their income (or savings) depends on it.

This is why the Dems need to win the next election and start putting strong regulations in place, or ideally nationalize Facebook in the US, to ensure their fuckery is kept to an absolute minimum.

Edit: Jesus, that NOAA admin guy withdrawing is a huge help for the people of the United States. Privatizing weather emergency reporting would be a guaranteed way to up body counts when it comes to poo poo like tornadoes.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Trump's pick for NOAA administrator just withdrew. Barry Myers was CEO of AccuWeather and had a long history (working with Rick Santorum) of trying to block NOAA from releasing its forecasts publicly, so that AccuWeather could sell them instead.

Welp goodbye accuweather app.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Facebook is bad

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'M NOT OLD! I'M NOT OLD! YOU'RE OLD!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197521967777222656?s=20

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Who could forget when the war finally swung back in Nazi Germany's favour in 1945 when they could finally fight the Allies on Germany's turf?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This from the person who talks so loudly on the phone that everyone standing near the guy he called can hear it

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Commissar Canuck posted:

Who could forget when the war finally swung back in Nazi Germany's favour in 1945 when they could finally fight the Allies on Germany's turf?

I fully expect him to go full Eve defeated apologia when he's finally not in the WH anymore "Freed from the shackles of the presidency I will be able to hit at my enemies with a force never seen before"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dear Donald Trump:

Hahaha motherfucker are you serious?

Signed
- Anyone who has ever worked in a call center or customer service job

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

canepazzo posted:

I fully expect him to go full Eve defeated apologia when he's finally not in the WH anymore "Freed from the shackles of the presidency I will be able to hit at my enemies with a force never seen before"

gently caress OF ALL OF YOU, I'M QUITING THIS ADMINISTRATION FOR GOOD

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Old James posted:

One of the poetic ironies of our recent history is that Rep. Adam Schiff replaced Jim Rogan in 2000.

Jim Rogan was one of the 13 House Members chosen to present the case for impeaching Clinton to the Senate in 1998.

Ambassador Sondland, have you ever tried DMT?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sucks you can't impeach a president for pardoning war criminals because that's a lot worse than the Ukraine stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ImpAtom posted:

Dear Donald Trump:

Hahaha motherfucker are you serious?

Signed
- Anyone who has ever worked in a call center or customer service job

Yeah, I fix phones for a living, and I usually make a test call on repaired phones to verify the ear speaker and proximity sensor are seated right and working. Our store recording is a normal volume, but when everything is working right I can hear it a good few feet from the phone. Even farther if it's a newer phone that uses the ear speaker for stereo sound.

If someone is super loud, you can hear it from across the room unless the person turns down their phone. Which I image most people don't do in case the other person quiets down.