Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have and it's baller. Smells like fish though.

I will 2nd the "thinnest layer you can manage" though

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BraveUlysses posted:

did you make it in a pressure cooker?

i used to get a lot of the cloudy, emulsified fat in my chicken stock until i read an article somewhere that said you should let it release naturally to minimize that cloudy fat that can appear in the stock.

Just a regular pot. I did brown the turkey bits first and scraped up the cone off the pan I browned them in which might be the problem. My chicken stock usually come out clear, but I don’t brown anything first for it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm making grilled chicken thighs / breast on skewers again, they turned out so great last time. The original plan was to just make a basic salad and mix it with french dressing, then layer the grilled chicken on top. However, I want to make a side of rice as I think this will make a heartier meal (having both the rice and salad) and my partner can take it to work tomorrow for lunch. Do you guys think I should make a basic curry sauce to put on top of the rice and grilled chicken, or will it be fine without? Worried it may be a bit too dry just having grilled chicken and rice.

PS: get a salad spinner, people. The amount of liquid it threw off of the lettuce and other veggies is astonishing. No more wet salads. I also sprinkled salt on tomatoes and let them drain, then spun those too. Cause I personally don't like the salad juice that accumulates at the bottom of the bowl.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Were I your spouse I'd be happy to have the curry. Not required if your rice and chicken are done right, but a nice bit of insurance and also just yummy in general.

With your tip for salad juice - are you keeping leftover salad undressed and dressing right before eating? That's another pro gamer move. Generates an extra dirty mason jar, but worth.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ah, I see you're another gamer with exquisite taste. Girlfriend was a cave dweller who'd dress the salad and then refrigerate for the following day, until I taught her how to be civilized. Dressing stays far away from the salad until serving. Things would just be ridiculously watery because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't properly dry the stuff before mixing, so it'd be a mixture of water, tomato juice and dressing at the bottom of the bowl.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So I got drunk last night and ordered 50 bux of whole spices of like every flavor of cardamom and blade mace and whatever else. What are some bomb curry recipes I can do?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

barkbell posted:

So I got drunk last night and ordered 50 bux of whole spices of like every flavor of cardamom and blade mace and whatever else. What are some bomb curry recipes I can do?

I'll be looking forward to curry recipes too, but in the meantime, put some of that cardamom in your tea, and grind some up and put it in homemade bread rolls.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

TofuDiva posted:

I'll be looking forward to curry recipes too, but in the meantime, put some of that cardamom in your tea, and grind some up and put it in homemade bread rolls.

green pods, black pods, or the seeds? i got all 3 now

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

barkbell posted:

green pods, black pods, or the seeds? i got all 3 now

Nifty! I'd go with black pods in black tea, green pods in delicate teas (green or white). If by seeds you mean you've got the innards of cardamom pods already out of their shells, just grind those up and use them in a rich bread dough. I like about a teaspoon of ground cardamom per 3 cups of flour for a good but not overpowering flavor, but you can adjust that up or down to suit your preference.

Consider yourself lucky btw - when I was recovering from major surgery a few years ago and on strong pain stuff, I ordered sewing machines.

Yes. Plural.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

barkbell posted:

Sounds like you need some Massaman and Rendang curry in your life.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I got some goose breasts from a coworker. Any recipe suggestions? I’ve neither cooked nor eaten goose before, so I’m pretty excited.

mystes
May 31, 2006

M42 posted:

I got some goose breasts from a coworker. Any recipe suggestions? I’ve neither cooked nor eaten goose before, so I’m pretty excited.
Can't you just use them in any recipe that calls for duck breasts?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Roast them and then go to twitter and post the picture with #untitledgoosegame

mystes
May 31, 2006

Leal posted:

Roast them and then go to twitter and post the picture with #untitledgoosegame
"untitled goose game meat"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife makes these Oreo truffles that are delicious, but coating then in chocolate is currently a huge pain in the rear end. The way we're currently doing it is to melt some chocolate chips in the microwave with a little vegetable oil. The main problem is the chocolate stiffens up after just a few truffles, so it's got to be reheated. Also, trying to dip them in a bowl and use spoons to coat them is tedious. Is there anything we could do to make the process easier?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

hooah posted:

My wife makes these Oreo truffles that are delicious, but coating then in chocolate is currently a huge pain in the rear end. The way we're currently doing it is to melt some chocolate chips in the microwave with a little vegetable oil. The main problem is the chocolate stiffens up after just a few truffles, so it's got to be reheated. Also, trying to dip them in a bowl and use spoons to coat them is tedious. Is there anything we could do to make the process easier?

You can keep things in bowls warm by placing them on top of a slightly smaller bowl filled with warm/hot water that's wrapped in a towel for insulation.

That's also how I proof dough when room temp is too low.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

hooah posted:

There's a whole art and a lot of science to this for people who do it often. Keeping the chocolate warm using poeticoddity's method would work well. In my case, I put it on a warming plate (the kind that is sold for people to keep their mug of tea or coffee warm). Possibly the most useful tool to have is a chocolate dipper, which is essentially a coiled wire or a couple of tines with a handle. I prefer the coiled wire. There are commercial ones, but I made mine by re-bending a couple of the egg dippers that come with Easter egg dye packages. The coil just needs to be a little wider than the truffle, and cupped a little bit so that the truffle stays put. With a dipper, you can dip the truffle in, flip it around to cover, and lift it back out with minimal mess.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Those all sound like great ideas, but I'd also strongly recommend you switch from chocolate chips to bar chocolate. Chocolate chips are formulated to not melt in the oven, so you're fighting food scientists when you try to force it by adding vegetable oil.

Instead melt a bar of chocolate. My favorite method is to chop fine, melt 90% of it in the microwave in short increments (20 seconds, stir, 15 seconds, stir, 10, stir, 10, stir, etc) then once it's all melted stir in the remaining 10%. Melting slowly is supposed to keep the temper, and adding the 10% is supposed to fix it if you accidentally overheated.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Could you not just use a bar of chocolate and put it in a bain marie and then when you've melted it, turn the gas off and let the residual heat / steam keep it in liquid form? Can't microwaving it make it too hot and gently caress with the chocolate's taste or something?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
How long can you leave frying oil in a countertop fryer without issues?

I fried a test batch of falafel in canola oil Tuesday morning and I plan to fry another batch tonight. There are some large particles that I didn't fish out and I didn't have any filtering materials on hand.

It looks clear. It smells more strongly than the unused canola oil, but not cheesy or fishy. You have to get your nose pretty close and smell with intent to detect it.

I have absolutely no clue how strongly bad canola oil is supposed to smell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's fine. Lasts longer if you filter it, I usually just stick a paper towel in a funnel and pour it through that. You'll know when oil goes rancid.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I still had a fryer I'd keep the oil in there for weeks. The oil doesn't go bad very easily. The most important thing is how often you've used it. After a while it gets pretty dark and starts smelling like, well, old fry oil and it'll be time to replace.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Best way to filter is with gelatin or proprietary filter chemicals. I recommend gelatin, you gotta buy the filter stuff 5 gallons at a time

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BrianBoitano posted:

Those all sound like great ideas, but I'd also strongly recommend you switch from chocolate chips to bar chocolate. Chocolate chips are formulated to not melt in the oven, so you're fighting food scientists when you try to force it by adding vegetable oil.

Instead melt a bar of chocolate. My favorite method is to chop fine, melt 90% of it in the microwave in short increments (20 seconds, stir, 15 seconds, stir, 10, stir, 10, stir, etc) then once it's all melted stir in the remaining 10%. Melting slowly is supposed to keep the temper, and adding the 10% is supposed to fix it if you accidentally overheated.

This is a really good point. Depending upon how large a batch of truffles you're making, it might be worth buying chocolate wafers or chunks explicitly for melting and dipping. King Arthur Flour has Valrhona, Guittard and Callebaut as well as some organics. Amazon has some of these too.

FaradayCage posted:

How long can you leave frying oil in a countertop fryer without issues?

I fried a test batch of falafel in canola oil Tuesday morning and I plan to fry another batch tonight. There are some large particles that I didn't fish out and I didn't have any filtering materials on hand.

It looks clear. It smells more strongly than the unused canola oil, but not cheesy or fishy. You have to get your nose pretty close and smell with intent to detect it.

I have absolutely no clue how strongly bad canola oil is supposed to smell.

As others have said, your oil should be fine. The one difference to look out for when you cook your next batch is that your food will brown a little bit faster. There are well-understood food chemistry reasons for this but I don't remember the details; perhaps other goons will remember and chime in if you are interested in the mechanics of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

pile of brown posted:

You'd have a lot of trouble smoking thin sliced pork belly into a satisfactory product

It's great just fried with salt though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Best way to filter is with gelatin or proprietary filter chemicals. I recommend gelatin, you gotta buy the filter stuff 5 gallons at a time

Instructions for and pictures of the gelatin method here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/clean-cooking-oil-with-gelatin-technique.html

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Say you went to the grocery store at 11:00 am and bought cream cheese. Say you were absent minded and accidentally left it in the car and didn't get it in the fridge until 1:15 pm. Would you still eat that cream cheese?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I can’t imagine anything going bad in two hours unless it’s summer and the car is 130F inside.

Does it smell weird? Did it melt into something horrible? If not eat it.

edit: don’t serve it to anyone immunocompromised.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it was pasteurized and still sealed (which should be most cream cheeses in tubs) it should be fine. I would still eat the stuff that is wrapped in foil but maybe don't give it to grandma or an infant.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I tried this exactly once. Never again. I do a gallon of oil at a time, and at that scale this technique is more of a pain than just batch filtering through a nut milk bag. The gelatin might filter it out a little better and give you a few more uses before you toss it, but as it stands my oil lasts for ~10 uses just fine and that's OK by me to avoid this PITA.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Chemmy posted:

I can’t imagine anything going bad in two hours unless it’s summer and the car is 130F inside.

Does it smell weird? Did it melt into something horrible? If not eat it.

edit: don’t serve it to anyone immunocompromised.

taqueso posted:

If it was pasteurized and still sealed (which should be most cream cheeses in tubs) it should be fine. I would still eat the stuff that is wrapped in foil but maybe don't give it to grandma or an infant.

Thanks to you both. I opened it and it smelled fine. I'm the only person who eats it in my house so I'll risk puking alone for the glory of cream cheese on an everything bagel.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

me your dad posted:

Thanks to you both. I opened it and it smelled fine. I'm the only person who eats it in my house so I'll risk puking alone for the glory of cream cheese on an everything bagel.

It is worth keeping in mind that exposure to heat reduces the shelf life of dairy products (there's a standardized table for milk that's kept in walk-in coolers at some grocery stores). Consequently, you should expect it to spoil sooner than cream cheese that's been stored at fridge temp for it's entire existence.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Look at all these scrubs who didn't take dairylea dunkers to school to eat them in the playground at lunch after they've been sitting in a bag in your locker for 5 hours

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone ever make poke at home? I'm thinking about if it but I'm not sure about the safety of cost effective tuna options like frozen tuna from the megamart. There's an Asian grocery nearby that sells tuna meant for sashima/sushi but that will not be cost effective.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"Sushi grade" is a marketing myth. I use regular supermarket frozen fish all the time and can confirm I am not dead. It's not like there's a separate fishing ship catching sushi tuna and freezing it differently, it all gets flash frozen and dumped in the hold the same way when they catch it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

"Sushi grade" is a marketing myth. I use regular supermarket frozen fish all the time and can confirm I am not dead. It's not like there's a separate fishing ship catching sushi tuna and freezing it differently, it all gets flash frozen and dumped in the hold the same way when they catch it.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid evoking the idea of "sushi grade" because I understand that's a combination of marketing and (in some places) selling specific cuts of the fish. I'm less worried about what happened on the ship and a little concerned about the stuff that occurred since then that could, say, lead to a salmonella outbreak (which occurred earlier in this year with tuna).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Make sure you get fish that's been frozen for parasite destruction or farm raised with a parasite free diet.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

What sort of containers do people use for storing reused deep fry oil?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

amenbrotep posted:

What sort of containers do people use for storing reused deep fry oil?

I just let it cool, filter it, and put it back in the bottle(s) it came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's fine. Lasts longer if you filter it, I usually just stick a paper towel in a funnel and pour it through that. You'll know when oil goes rancid.

Thanks. Used it and it was great!