Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This is some good rear end poo poo

edit: rudy tax

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"Taylor and Yovanovitch's testimonies are consistent with my recollections" he does not mention Sondland or Volker's testimonies :ohdear:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Old James posted:

It's David the robot from Prometheus.

No I think the Republicans actually are in the Bad Place

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

canepazzo posted:

"you can tell the Kardashians you tried" :stare:

This more than anything cemented that no matter how much we mock the Kardashians as useless reality TV show nothings, they now traffic in REAL power. They have the ear of the President to the point he answers to them.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

He's gonna burn them all down isn't he? We haven't even got to the Hill statement and my "this is new" list for today is huuuuuuge.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zonohedron posted:

"Taylor and Yovanovitch's testimonies are consistent with my recollections" he does not mention Sondland or Volker's testimonies :ohdear:

considering Sondland denied any conversation with Holmes about Biden, i suspect we're going to hear a lot more about this in direct examination shortly

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Retro42 posted:

He's gonna burn them all down isn't he? We haven't even got to the Hill statement and my "this is new" list for today is huuuuuuge.

Yeah, everyone thought his testimony was going to be boring next to Hill dueling Republicans with an increasingly-bloody sword, but... :suspense:

eke out posted:

considering Sondland denied any conversation with Holmes about Biden, i suspect we're going to hear a lot more about this in direct examination shortly

:suspense: :suspense: :suspense:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ewiley posted:

No I think the Republicans actually are in the Bad Place

weirdly David Hale also sounded eeriely like Marc Evan Jackson, though he looked a little less like him. gotta give MEJ a job when they make a movie out of this for sure

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

when will ukraine love my rear end?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I like Hill already.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

It telegraphs what their angle is. They are already looking past acquitting Trump and maneuvering for 2020. The Democrats are approaching this as though the Senate will act in good faith and hold a real trial. The actions of Senate Republicans in light of the evidence bring revealed in these hearings very much indicates that they will not do so. The Democrats need to be a lot more aggressive in terms of getting things out there in very simple, digestible 4th grade language that the American public will understand.

In short, they need to stop low-key dunking on Nunes and Jordan and start publically calling them on their BS.

Sorkinesque bullshit soundbytes are not going to help; the Democrats (and Schiff in particular) are doing a very good job with these hearings and pretending otherwise is some serious revisionism.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I was not expecting her to sound like a BBC Newshour radio... er... person.

"I was born in the Northeast of England, the same region George Washington's relatives came from" :911:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

when will ukraine love my rear end?

Gain a bunch of weight and stand like a centaur without the back half.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

huh, I had no idea Fiona Hill was from England

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

To us shallow Americans, nothing sounds more credible than an English accent.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Retro42 posted:

I mean, it really does.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Given the relative prestige given to British accents in America generally it will be extra nice to hear her slap down Nunes's conspiracy theories.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ehud posted:

huh, I had no idea Fiona Hill was from England

NORTH england

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Retro42 posted:

the funny thing is that in this testimony she'll say her working class accent held her back in the UK

i can't distinguish posh from working class accents at all lol nor can most americans unless it's overtly a cockney stereotype

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

E-flat posted:

Given the relative prestige given to British accents in America generally it will be extra nice to hear her slap down Nunes's conspiracy theories.

It's hilarious that this accent is considered prestigious in American when it is considered rural redneck in the UK.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Well the entire GOP line of questioning is now going to be about how they conspired in college

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Thom12255 posted:

NORTH england
Will appeal to all the Downton Abbey fans.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

GOP will accuse her of being working class scum.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thom12255 posted:

It's hilarious that this accent is considered prestigious in American when it is considered rural redneck in the UK.

What is an example of a person with a person from the UK with a non-rural redneck accent? I just want to try and hear the difference with my untrained American ears.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Very weird that her accent would hold her back in England, because it is amazing and I immediately, reflexively trust it for reasons I do not understand.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It would be hilarious if the Brits viewed, say, a deep southern accent the same way we view British accents.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I wish she just stared at Nunes while stating this bit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ehud posted:

What is an example of a person with a person from the UK with a non-rural redneck accent? I just want to try and hear the difference with my untrained American ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtBS8COhhhM

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's going to be funny to watch Nunes and Gym and their pals completely ignore that these witnesses are basically ripping all their arguments apart.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Thom12255 posted:

The close geographically but highly socioeconomically stratified accents of England are really interesting, it's like the presence or absence of the R in "fourth floor" determined by ~20 feet vertically. Give or take. I don't know how high the ceilings are at that Macy's.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ehud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Se5yS17S08

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

How is he real?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Nunes trying desperately not to make eye contact as Hill calls out conspiracy theories

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ehud posted:

Think David Attenborough.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wylie posted:

Very weird that her accent would hold her back in England, because it is amazing and I immediately, reflexively trust it for reasons I do not understand.

Television and film has presented such accents as authoritative for decades, and this subconsciously makes you associate her accent with such things.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ehud posted:

It's like the difference between Bilbo Baggins and Sam's Dad.

Jerbnau
Apr 25, 2017

Ehud posted:

The archetype would be dear old Brenda herself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mzor6Hf1tY

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

she's coming out swinging

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It would be hilarious if the Brits viewed, say, a deep southern accent the same way we view British accents.

The only real difference between British and American southern accents is speed- if you slow down British, they sound Southern, and if you speed up Southerners, they sound English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thank you all for those wonderful examples of a proper british accent