Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Expanding Democratic franchise posted:

reducing the voting age to 16, giving full voting rights to all UK residents, making sure everyone who is entitled to vote can do so by introducing a system of automatic voter registration, and abandoning plans to introduce voter ID which has been shown to harm democratic rights.

Presumably that includes EU citizens too? Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1197224702814621696?s=19

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

sebzilla posted:

It's in the "Funding Real Change supplementary document (CTRL+F for "entrepreneur" will show the relevant section.)

Okay cool just found it. lovely Guido takedown was pretty much the first link on Google, so go to https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/ directly instead.

All sounds sensible, and with the dividend tax changes and corporation tax going up to 26% it might finally get rid of the incentive for limited company contractors to pay out in dividends (not deducted from corporation tax, doesn't count for NI) rather than salary (which is counted against corporation tax and attracts NI) .

Specifically, currently it's 19% corporation tax plus 7.5% dividend tax on the first 40k then 32.5% for the rest.

Versus 25.8% joint NI costs plus 20%/40% income tax.

(Ignoring nuances like minimum salary for NI contribution years etc)

So this is actually a level playing field now of 26% corporation / NI plus 20/40% income tax.

Nicely done.

RE the inevitable rich bastard comments: Companies won't employ you as a contractor if you're in a sole trader setup. I've worked gigs for seven different companies in the last five years, including in Germany, India and Dubai. I've been taxed via my UK resident company the whole time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidHirsh/status/1197477816046100480?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Polly Toynbee praising Labour's manifesto to the rafters :wth:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Oh my god, the Cult of Corbyn are just as bad as the Trump chuds! :gonk:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Love a good chant me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1197528066714669056?s=19

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Also known as the tune of:
yes we can
I'm with her
not me, us
four more years

This already happened a few weeks ago:
https://twitter.com/NColtrain/status/1190407355059429378

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Love a good chant me

Looking forward to the lib dem rallies where they chant "status quo".

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

fuf posted:

Also known as the tune of:
yes we can
four more years
not me, us
basically any three word chant?

It's a serious source of frustration for me that people like this dweeb are in positions of authority in academia

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
chants like "Not For Sale", "Oh Jeremy Corbyn", "We Want Tables"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
THREE WORD CHANT!
THREE WORD CHANT!
THREE WORD CHANT!

:byodame: :byodood: :freep: :britain:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Edison was a dick posted:

I think the general thrust of why it's problematic is that the equalities act doesn't distinguish between sex and gender, and TERFs read it as "biological sex" and use it as a dog-whistle, so if you're attuned to them it can read as saying it's going to force service provision along birth assigned gender.

Yeah, at best it's a bit tone-deaf - it could mean "ensure it is understood that the act doesn't give you free reign to be transphobes" but language like "enforce single-sex based exemptions" is definitely used a lot as a TERF dogwhistle for something along the lines of "ban trans people from anywhere with the word Women in it" and I hope the Labour party clarify this. Inclusive education and self-identification is nice, though I would have liked them to also mention something about non-binary identities. even like, acknowledging it's a thing they plan to think about, which would put them miles ahead of the tories at this point

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

Yeah, at best it's a bit tone-deaf - it could mean "ensure it is understood that the act doesn't give you free reign to be transphobes" but language like "enforce single-sex based exemptions" is definitely used a lot as a TERF dogwhistle for something along the lines of "ban trans people from anywhere with the word Women in it" and I hope the Labour party clarify this. Inclusive education and self-identification is nice, though I would have liked them to also mention something about non-binary identities. even like, acknowledging it's a thing they plan to think about, which would put them miles ahead of the tories at this point

Angepain, you don't have PMs. Would you like to come on the Praxiscast for our trans rights episode? You'd be joining some cool people (and also me) and it would be great to have your perspective on what's going on in Scotland!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Oh no not three syllables

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1197497864655691776?s=19

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Edison was a dick posted:

I've dropped my MP candidate a message asking if he's got a line on any clarification of this.

I think the general thrust of why it's problematic is that the equalities act doesn't distinguish between sex and gender, and TERFs read it as "biological sex" and use it as a dog-whistle, so if you're attuned to them it can read as saying it's going to force service provision along birth assigned gender.

That makes sense, thank you and to everyone else who posted about this!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adam boulton is still really mad about the Neruda quote

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1197531639393460227?s=19

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Honestly, this is one of my preferred solutions for MP corruption.

But it also includes stringent penalties for literally any other income during that time, AND the complete removal of expenses.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Imagine thinking £82k a year is a poor wage - it's top 2% of income earners already. If the top 2% isn't good enough for this country, why would the top 1% or 0.1% be any better?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Imagine thinking £82k a year is a poor wage - it's top 2% of income earners already. If the top 2% isn't good enough for this country, why would the top 1% or 0.1% be any better?

82k plus expenses which include a place to live in London. After expenses it's easily 100k+

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think MPs probably should be paid more - as long as they are severely restricted in other sources of income like Labour is planning.

For example, it should be illegal for an MP to be a landlord.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Cap private sector salaries and compensation :getin:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i'd absolutely hate to have mediocre people as MPs, which the current system definitely prevents. oh wai

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Meanwhile in trump's impeachment inquiry lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1197533816677683201?s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
This is cool

https://twitter.com/BrisBeerFactory/status/1196718986249035776?s=20

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly, this is one of my preferred solutions for MP corruption.

But it also includes stringent penalties for literally any other income during that time, AND the complete removal of expenses.

Current MP basic salary is over £70k. If they're complaining about not making enough they shouldn't be in public service.

And the expenses system is good if used as intended : otherwise MPs with larger offices, like ministers and the LOTO would need a massive hike in salary to cover operating costs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm hitting the streets this weekend with a folder full of forms to get homeless people signed up. Went to a meeting last night where I got some tips from homeless organisations and people ont the streets about how to approach it. Should be interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's the same Fiona Hill? I'd seen that someone named that was testifying in the states, but I assumed it was a weird coincidence.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1197519906142654464

What the? Pro Corbyn from Sky??

Since when did those chants have a tune?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

As a general comment, a lot of people still really have no conception of how much good public sector pensions are worth compared to the dogshit on offer in the private sector.

You can gross the amount MPs are paid up by about 40% a year to get to the equivalent amount they'd have to earn in the private sector to account for the lost pension value. Arguably considerably more given the amount of market risk a private sector pension faces vs a government guaranteed one.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1197533872310947846?s=20

Someone embed this tweet I don't know how. Jez drops shitloads of good stuff in 60 seconds.

Edit: Oh it does it automatically I am not good with computer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't there... only one way you can chant three one-syllable words?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1197506141368016896

or just have being an MP like jury duty over a few months and you get paid the same as your other job plus expenses?

I like it when people try and overexageratte a leftist concept to try and make it seem like poo poo when they just make it sound better.

:newdanger:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I honestly think this Rachel Riley thing is going to be the beginning of the end of her career. Katie Hopkins is the go-to example but you can chart it with others:
1. Mainstream TV (the Apprentice)
2. invited onto Mainstream News that wants to amplify a particular point of view (5 Live)
3. becomes "controversial" and pushed to the fringe (Sun column, Mail column, LBC show, invited onto Question Time for "balance")
4. eventually crosses the line into toxic waste and is banished to obscurity and self-publishing.

You can chart Louise Mensch on that (1. marketer, 2. MP, 3. Menshn and QT, 4. Patribotics and self-publishing) and Farage (1. stockbroker, 2. MEP, 3. LBC and QT, 4. not banished yet). Rachel Riley is currently at 2 but this might push her to 3, and from there it's only a matter of time because the controversy becomes the identity then, and they always have to push it further to try and stay relevant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Say what you really mean Barber you hack:

quote:

What about the mural he approved of (it showed a group of hook-nosed bankers playing a game of Monopoly on the backs of huddled dark-skinned people, and could have come straight from any African country, which are all the same to me anyway).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't there... only one way you can chant three one-syllable words?
There's always waltz time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Riley needs to be hammered on her past comments, particularly how she had nothing to say over Jimmy Carr being pulled up for an anti-Semitic joke. She wants to sow division then she can loving reap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1197519906142654464

What the? Pro Corbyn from Sky??

Since when did those chants have a tune?

Sky news aren't owned by Murdoch anymore and there's been a vibe on most of their programming for months that they're sick of the Tories shenanigans.