Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Okay, I'm particularly proud of this half second glimpse in the motion comic that I screen-capped just for the pleasure of this thread.

The caption at the bottom right says "By Veidt".

I'm gonna add another comment for this snipe, if Alexander the Great had lots of kids and Nostalgia brings back memories of ancestors, could Veidt's mentality be based on memories recovered from those past memories, therefore altering his motives and enhancing his intelligence? Standing on the shoulders of giants as it were? The ability to extrapolate knowledge from your own DNA could explain Ozymandias' superhuman abilities.

In this instance Nostalgia looks like a perfume though. Weird.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nooneofconsequence posted:

Which one of the watchmen babies is your favorite?

Baby Ozy looks like Lisa Simpson dressed as him for Halloween.

But I am partial to Giant Baby Dr Manhatten.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Been enjoying the show so far, last episode was definitely the best. I kinda want a 24 episode interlude of the entire original comic, they handled the Hoboken scene very well.

I had thought their use of pagers and no computers, but having electric cars and advanced cloning meant there was a tech divergence and the computer revolution didn’t happen. It was a better explanation that society became wary of tech as they thought much of it was carcinogenic from Dr Manhattan, and are slow to bring it back. Also explains the Calvary harvesting lithium batteries if they thought they were extremely toxic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I watched and posted the motion comic a while back but I'm glad I got clued in that it doesn't actually contain the whole story. I'm reading through the comic now and I like the under the hood segments for sure. I kinda wish I didn't know poo poo about the story because the under the hood stories are making me give a crap about a character who never rose above "old man, friend of nite owl" and kind of took out some of the punch of his beating in the movie/motion comic.

I now also understand some of the talk in this thread earlier about Hooded Justice and Nazis. Hollis says they were sometimes Nazis, Hooded Justice sympathized with the Nazis until pearl harbor. I... just kind of don't know what Alan Moore's point is really by having these characters identify with them that way.

The tv show does help put it in context tho, if Will is hj (he is) given that leaflet he caught in WWI. But without the tv show, the Nazi references in under the hood feel gross because of their flagrant admission and ambiguous meaning

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 21, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

At the next Dem debate or town hall somebody better ask, amid all the other dumb time wasting answers, "ya'll seen this new HBO show watchmen?" *stage nods in agreement, Kamala nods but you can tell she doesn't know* "wtf are you going to do about making that right and getting redfordations to those people in tulsa who were bombed??!"

*Biden, having his memory jogged, looks concerned as if he might have been there, but not sure on which side....*

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

graham cracker posted:

Okay, I'm particularly proud of this half second glimpse in the motion comic that I screen-capped just for the pleasure of this thread.

The caption at the bottom right says "By Veidt".

I'm gonna add another comment for this snipe, if Alexander the Great had lots of kids and Nostalgia brings back memories of ancestors, could Veidt's mentality be based on memories recovered from those past memories, therefore altering his motives and enhancing his intelligence? Standing on the shoulders of giants as it were? The ability to extrapolate knowledge from your own DNA could explain Ozymandias' superhuman abilities.

It is a perfume, I just got to that page! Crazy timing because I got to look around more and whenever this book does something like that(treasure island by Viedt), it matters. It did it previously at Blake's funeral and zooming in on Viedt when talking about terrible death. So I hope the show follows a similar compass, that is, when it feels like some things are on screen at the same time or are a coincidence - they actually point to something deeper in the theme.

So, nostalgia started out as perfume... and then later turned into straight up pills? Makes sense - smells can cause you to revisit memories, so if you concentrate whatever that was in pill form then, sure, why not, it could hijack your whole sensory system like some focused 50x salvia with a purpose.

Makes me think about how the show is introducing the new perfume, "Mercy", and the show seems to be about trying to grant that to all or some, and others granting none.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 21, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

graham cracker posted:

Yeah, that's because it was in the comic. This is a different kind of nostalgia, I guess.

KoRMaK posted:

I now also understand some of the talk in this thread earlier about Hooded Justice and Nazis. Hollis says they were sometimes Nazis, Hooded Justice sympathized with the Nazis until pearl harbor. I... just kind of don't know what Alan Moore's point is really by having these characters identify with them that way.

He's suggesting that superheros and fascism are inherently linked. It's not just there, Veidt's strongly associated with art deco and Metropolis style imagery, and his new brand of perfume designed to replace Nostalgia -- Millennium, the name itself being a joke -- has strong Aryan imagery on its advertising.

It's interesting that Trieu decided to revert back to the nostalgia-based branding again, though I think it's a bit of an own goal for the show to be criticising nostalgic impulses when it's essentially not so much a sequel as a remix.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 21, 2019

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

The sense of scent is incredibly attached to memories. I don't have any sources to cite, but I know this. Weird, right?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Am I the only that hopes at some point we get to see Squidler’s List?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that's because it was in the comic. This is a different kind of nostalgia, I guess.

He's suggesting that superheros and fascism are inherently linked. It's not just there, Veidt's strongly associated with art deco and Metropolis style imagery, and his new brand of perfume designed to replace Nostalgia -- Millennium, the name itself being a joke -- has strong Aryan imagery on its advertising.

It's interesting that Trieu decided to revert back to the nostalgia-based branding again, though I think it's a bit of an own goal for the show to be criticising nostalgic impulses when it's essentially not so much a sequel as a remix.
Ohhh, duh. Right. It reminds me of my current experience rewatching the sopranos and this time I almost absolutely am uncomfortable the whole time because Tony is just such garbage. The first time I watched it I think I found him a little more sympathetic, born into it, can't get out, etc. But this time i realize how absolutely awful he is and I hate any time he gets ahead. I don't even like Chris anymore.

You're not supposed to root for these guys, and it's been that way the whole time. right?

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

You're not supposed to root for these guys, and it's been that way the whole time. right?

Yeah I believe so. I was always surprised when people talk sympathetically about Tony or even the wider mafia family surrounding them. I think it was pretty common in The Sopranos and you also saw it in Breaking Bad where even right at the end people were still siding with Walt or justifying his actions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a pretty common reaction generally, beyond television. I've seen plenty of arguments where people have argued that sympathetic motivations are justification for their actions, rather than just an explanation for them.

Give a television character sympathetic enough of a motivation and people will believe they're morally justified in their actions. It's ethics as aesthetics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I guess its kinda misanthropic but I don't think most people really have a strong sense of values or ethics, and just avoid tough problems. Our society makes it easy to avoid. And then its all too easy to justify whatever actions in the moment or after the fact. A lot of psychology is basically doing things on accident and then convincing yourself that you did it on purpose and must have been right to do so.

Like, I think a lot of people would defend a family member even if that family member did something wrong or committed a crime. They're still family, right? It kinda overrides your sense of ethics, but that's dangerous.

So similarly, characters like Tony, if you just told someone 'hey here's a character that kills people and abuses people for a living' they'd ostensibly say 'yeah, that's a bad guy'
But you introduce him to them, show him how cool he can be, become friends, and then you find it all too easy to justify the horrible acts he commits. Look, they made him do that!

Depiction isn't condoning, and I do think that the writers of The Sopranos do not intend for Tony to be any kind of a hero or example. But I also think audiences can be dumb and lots of people undeniably do treat characters like Tony Soprano, Tony Montana, Cartman, etc. as heroic icons when they're meant to be cautionary tales or parodies. And that's just an unfortunate thing about art, you can't guarantee the reader or viewer will interpret your art the way you intended. I don't think that's your fault, but it is something to be aware of and try to avoid when making art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If Lindelof is really gone at the end of this season I'm entertaining the idea of HBO just adapting the original story in S2 which would be a hell of a sight to see.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess its kinda misanthropic but I don't think most people really have a strong sense of values or ethics, and just avoid tough problems. Our society makes it easy to avoid. And then its all too easy to justify whatever actions in the moment or after the fact. A lot of psychology is basically doing things on accident and then convincing yourself that you did it on purpose and must have been right to do so.

Like, I think a lot of people would defend a family member even if that family member did something wrong or committed a crime. They're still family, right? It kinda overrides your sense of ethics, but that's dangerous.

So similarly, characters like Tony, if you just told someone 'hey here's a character that kills people and abuses people for a living' they'd ostensibly say 'yeah, that's a bad guy'
But you introduce him to them, show him how cool he can be, become friends, and then you find it all too easy to justify the horrible acts he commits. Look, they made him do that!

Depiction isn't condoning, and I do think that the writers of The Sopranos do not intend for Tony to be any kind of a hero or example. But I also think audiences can be dumb and lots of people undeniably do treat characters like Tony Soprano, Tony Montana, Cartman, etc. as heroic icons when they're meant to be cautionary tales or parodies. And that's just an unfortunate thing about art, you can't guarantee the reader or viewer will interpret your art the way you intended. I don't think that's your fault, but it is something to be aware of and try to avoid when making art.

Rorschach monologuing from the roofs about how the people are wicked and depraved and beyond saving because they don't preface literally every discussion of a work of fiction with a disclaimer that they understand that it is not something that is supposed to be imitated and that their enjoyment of a character comes from them as a fictional creation that is entertaining and not a realistic role model of good behavior.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Nostalgia as a Veidt fragrance line isn't exactly obscure; there's a whole literal page of interstitial material about it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah. I immediately thought of Veidt when Nostalgia was mentioned. It's not an obscure easter egg.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sleeveless posted:

Rorschach monologuing from the roofs about how the people are wicked and depraved and beyond saving because they don't preface literally every discussion of a work of fiction with a disclaimer that they understand that it is not something that is supposed to be imitated and that their enjoyment of a character comes from them as a fictional creation that is entertaining and not a realistic role model of good behavior.

Sleeveless this is a nice word salad but I think you forgot a few words? Also maybe take a pause once in awhile. Periods are important.

I have no loving clue what this means.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

graham cracker posted:

The sense of scent is incredibly attached to memories. I don't have any sources to cite, but I know this. Weird, right?

They mentioned this in the "Hey, it's a spaceclone!" episode of Defiance.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tin can made man posted:

Nostalgia as a Veidt fragrance line isn't exactly obscure; there's a whole literal page of interstitial material about it

Probably another example of how the motion comic, while being great, still cuts some stuff

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

tin can made man posted:

Literally the opening of the movie is Comedian watching a commercial for Nostalgia by Veidt.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
For anyone else who hasn't read the comic books, I highly recommend this video from Alt Shift X, the guy who did some really great ASOIAF/Game of Thrones videos. Here's hoping he does an episode by episode breakdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmg0uc3CjY

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

underappreciated

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As an actual regular comics reader I've always kind of turned my nose up at motion comics but I checked out the Watchmen deal and it actually works pretty well. My buddy asked to borrow my copy of the comic (but he hasn't read a word of it) but he perked up when I mentioned the motion comic. So if you want to introduce friends to the comic but they balk at reading comics, the motion comic will probably be more appealing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

zoux posted:

As an actual regular comics reader I've always kind of turned my nose up at motion comics but I checked out the Watchmen deal and it actually works pretty well. My buddy asked to borrow my copy of the comic (but he hasn't read a word of it) but he perked up when I mentioned the motion comic. So if you want to introduce friends to the comic but they balk at reading comics, the motion comic will probably be more appealing.

yea thats what ive done. IT's also kind of podcastable since they are just still images and stuff, you don't have to watch the whole time as intently

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say it’s worth at least borrowing a hard copy for so you can check out that Fearful Symmetry issue and flip back and forth between panels.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The only obscure easter egg I can think of is that Veidt mentions a “seventh cavalry” in a joke of his during his interview at the end of issue 11.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SunAndSpring posted:

The only obscure easter egg I can think of is that Veidt mentions a “seventh cavalry” in a joke of his during his interview at the end of issue 11.

In what context?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

beanieson posted:

In what context?

A metaphorical horserace with the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

clown shoes posted:

For anyone else who hasn't read the comic books, I highly recommend this video from Alt Shift X, the guy who did some really great ASOIAF/Game of Thrones videos. Here's hoping he does an episode by episode breakdown.
For anyone who hasn't read the comic books I recommend reading the comic books!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Seriously, do this

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Even for those that have read them this is still good advice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

pyrotek posted:

Even for those that have read them this is still good advice.
Yep, I re-read them about a week ago. Verdict: still good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It had been ages since I read them, and this time around I lovvved all the back matter that I used to skim/skip as a youth. It all really takes it to the next level and fleshes out the world.

I like the Peteypedia stuff but it's not nearly as bold as the extras in the book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

It had been ages since I read them, and this time around I lovvved all the back matter that I used to skim/skip as a youth. It all really takes it to the next level and fleshes out the world.

I like the Peteypedia stuff but it's not nearly as bold as the extras in the book.

It's less subtle, for one.

And for people complaining about the "Comedienne" - that's also in the original books.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Jedit posted:

It's less subtle, for one.

And for people complaining about the "Comedienne" - that's also in the original books.

Where’s that referenced? I want to go back and read it again, it’s been a few years, but I’m waiting till the series is over.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At the end she says that she wants to get a gun and some black leather.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you really reread the book, she's also very snarky throughout it. I don't see her current snarkiness as out of character, especially because of the guilt she undoubtedly has and bitterness at life not turning out the way she seemed to be hoping at the end of Watchmen.

Dan I see as being too much of a wimp to sit there for however many hours designing and fabricating a space dildo and essentially breaking it off with a woman far out of his league but it's funny so :lol:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

At the end she says that she wants to get a gun and some black leather.

And that she wants to change her sobriquet because Silk Spectre is "girly". It's never spoken or used outright, but it's clear that after having lived her mother's life by proxy, she now wants to be her father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006