Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I think it depends a lot on the brewery being bought, the terms of the sale, and who's buying them. The big examples that I can point to are Elysian, Goose Island, and Ten Barrel. Elysian got stuff in writing about not changing recipes without a majority decision from the brewers. Most likely because, especially at that size, beers are going to have to sometimes be reformulated due to circumstances such as limited availability of certain hop varieties and the like. Ten Barrel was pretty in the red when ABInBev came knocking so they sold pretty quick from what I understand and certain recipes have been messed with, although I believe these were with less major styles such as the cucumber Berliner weisse in which the use of real cucumber was changed to artificial flavor. I do think this was part of an overall strategy to market a kettle sour line. Also possibly part of a conspiracy to give me terrible sugar shits during a late night canning run several years ago. Goose Island was, I believe, ABInBev's first craft brewery purchase and has, in many ways, remained largely unchanged except for a possible change in focus, especially the emphasis on their barrel program.

Sapporo also bought Anchor brewing, I believe last year and Kirin bought a significant stake in Brooklyn Brewing at around the same time. I know New Belgium is employee owned so we'll see what that means for the workers exactly but I don't think we've seen the last of this by a long shot. With Lagunitas bought by Heineken a few years back and Sam Adams recently buying Dogfish Head I think this trend of the bigger craft beers being bought out is going to continue. In today's market it's difficult to stay ahead of the curve without a significant cash reserve, unfortunately. I'm curious to see what, if anything, might happen to places like Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, and Stone.

Interesting (and seemingly insider?) perspective, thanks! I had Breckenridge and Goose Island in mind, I personally thought both of them went downhill just about one year after being bought. Of course beer ingredients aren't listed so who can say :iiam:

What heartens my heart, is that there are so many micro and nano breweries these days, almost a ridiculous and excessive amount, and that tells me that they will never be entirely bought out by the big'ns. Like there are probably 30 or so in my town! 4 or 5 in my neighborhood! It's so many that it makes me worry they are saturating and a few are going to fail. but the upside is I don't see InBev buying all 30 of them, or even all 15 of them after 15 others go under. Probably not even 1 of them unless they get big enough to go national. I think the buy-outs will continue or even increase but nevertheless I don't foresee a future where there are no independent local breweries available to me.

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum

We counted the other day at work, and I think there's about a dozen microbreweries within walking distance of our shop. And it's not even a generous definition of "walking distance", it's like "you could get there and back on a lunch break without rushing" walking distance. Not that you'd want to, most of them are literally just breweries and not taprooms, but it's still a surprising indicator of the strength of small scale brewing around here

edit: I just checked it, and there are upwards of 180 breweries in my state, and probably 150 of those in my metro area alone. I'd venture to say 90% of those breweries are micros, though some of those teeter on the edge of "big micros" if that makes sense

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 21, 2019

thank you luvcow for the sig

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

MikeStmria posted:

I just want to confirm that Spongebob Pnapple was not fresh. If it were fresh Gary would have eaten it. Also it was interior concrete walls. And it will be rotten for being underwater.

In the other side, can we talk about how the gently caress did Sandy built her dome ?

Sandy is a genius and very good at both karate and science, so she can do whatever she wants and you can't stop her. I can speak as an authority on this matter as I just saw The Spongebob Musical this weekend and it was actually good which was weird because I had no idea how they would even begin to adapt that cartoon into a live stage show.

The pants/shoes apparatus they created for Squidward was a stroke of pure costuming genius and absolutely mesmerizing to watch during the tap-dancing number.

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

Interesting (and seemingly insider?) perspective, thanks! I had Breckenridge and Goose Island in mind, I personally thought both of them went downhill just about one year after being bought. Of course beer ingredients aren't listed so who can say :iiam:

What heartens my heart, is that there are so many micro and nano breweries these days, almost a ridiculous and excessive amount, and that tells me that they will never be entirely bought out by the big'ns. Like there are probably 30 or so in my town! 4 or 5 in my neighborhood! It's so many that it makes me worry they are saturating and a few are going to fail. but the upside is I don't see InBev buying all 30 of them, or even all 15 of them after 15 others go under. Probably not even 1 of them unless they get big enough to go national. I think the buy-outs will continue or even increase but nevertheless I don't foresee a future where there are no independent local breweries available to me.

I'm a brewer but not at a bigger place.

Yeah. That's really the thing. There are just so many breweries lately that the bigger guys are in some trouble. Much harder to sell 100 barrels of beer than 10 or whatever. I want to open my own place one day but if that happens I plan to stop once I hit a certain size. It's hard to compete at a larger scale.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 21, 2019

Escape From Noise

Lol. Saw a video on YouTube "Why the world hates smart people" and it had a Rick and Morty episode as a thumbnail. I like Rick and Morty just fine but if you think watching it makes you smart then...well...I dunno what to tell you.

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."

DaChurl posted:

Sandy is a genius and very good at both karate and science, so she can do whatever she wants and you can't stop her. I can speak as an authority on this matter as I just saw The Spongebob Musical this weekend and it was actually good which was weird because I had no idea how they would even begin to adapt that cartoon into a live stage show.

The pants/shoes apparatus they created for Squidward was a stroke of pure costuming genius and absolutely mesmerizing to watch during the tap-dancing number.

Ok Mr authority, now tell me where she gets her oxygen from?

Escape From Noise

MikeStmria posted:

Ok Mr authority, now tell me where she gets her oxygen from?

The living

Heather Papps

hello friend

theres a tree in her dome and grass and also i fully believe she is an experiment because i do not know spongbob lore

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I haven't seen all the Spongebob episodes and only the first movie but I always figured why Sandy left the land was gonna be a big storyline eventually, like a "meet the in-laws" type situation where Spongebob has to wear a watersuit (which is set up at one point). Whether or not that ever happened I don't know, I lost interest when it didn't sound like Tom Kenny was doing the voice anymore.

Edit- also Mr. Krabbs' arch enemy is a plankton and his daughter is a whale, did that obvious confrontation (in a show created by a marine biologist) ever occur?

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2019

Sig by Heather Papps

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."
What if she was exilied from land and had to take refugee in there. And how crystals can work against the pressure of the water. Assuming its deep enough for them to live and not be fished, but not deep enough so the sun reaches them.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I think Sandy's thing is she's an explorer/researcher. She's down there claiming Bikin Bottom for the good old US of A.

Heather Papps

hello friend

is goo lagoon oil? it's denser that the surrounding water, and is pretty goopy?

is sandy an oil prospector?

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."

Heather Papps posted:

do we even know if they live in the same planet as us ?

Manifisto

well as expected I did not sleep on my flight so I was stumbling around London this morning incredibly sleep deprived waiting to check in to my hotel. however now that I have a nap under my belt and am sitting down to a curry things are looking up :cheerdoge:

alnilam

Heather Papps posted:

oil is lighter than water

ty manifisto

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

well as expected I did not sleep on my flight so I was stumbling around London this morning incredibly sleep deprived waiting to check in to my hotel. however now that I have a nap under my belt and am sitting down to a curry things are looking up :cheerdoge:

he'll yeah guvnah

ty manifisto

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

My main problem with Spongebob is how the song asks a question but doesn't give ample time for the listener to come up with an answer. The commercial breaks from Pokemon were WAY better about this kind of thing.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

What's your favorite planet? Mine's the SUN!

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

oil is lighter than water

i was thinking some sort of crude tar sands sorta thing but truth

Trying

spongebob made a poo poo load of money. just obscene amounts

Trying

Jolo posted:

pluto :smug:

Heather Papps

hello friend

:evilbuddy:

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."

Jolo posted:

go back to school

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."
or do it online. or something

Trying

so while we are more or less on the subject of popeye alice the goon was a sweetheart

MockingQuantum

Jolo posted:

Always has been!

I once took a pair of binoculars and stared at the sun for over an hour!

MockingQuantum

also I feel like i missed an opportunity in passing up the chance to make a youtube channel entirely out of spongebob squarepants deep lore videos

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

My favourite planet is planet fitness. There's nothing in this world I enjoy more than crushing a pre-workout protein blast muscleshake before I rep my sets. Earth may be the planet of my birth, but planet fitness is the one I call home. Their primitive ways recall a simpler time, when things made sense. Some things are heavier than others, but lifting them is also more rewarding. There's still competition and a certain hierarchy, but it's easy to know where you stand and there's a clear, simple path towards improving your situation: a tight toned bod grants you love and respect, and you can always tighten and tone your bod by pumping more reps

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."
Forgot to say, my fav planet,

Altough I have mixed feelings I will state both.

Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster. dreams come true I feel.

Jolo

Here on this planet we have strong feelings about cups being in direct contact with our wood furniture.

BoldFrankensteinMir

My favorite planet is Planet Hollywood, I like my burgers expensive and my music incoherently loud.

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
All about that Pizza Planet.

alnilam

Resting Lich Face posted:

All about that Pizza Planet.

The white zone is for eating pizza only

ty manifisto

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

alnilam posted:

The white zone is for eating pizza only

There are no toppings in the red zone.

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."
Good job,

We run out of Planets.

Lets go back to lurking

alnilam

ALL OF THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT COUPONS AND DEALS. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

ty manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

You'd get one hell of a good deal on fuel though

Resting Lich Face

Lame nerd answer: my favorite planet is Azeroth

MikeStmria

"So it begins.."

Resting Lich Face posted:

Lame nerd answer: my favorite planet is Azeroth

give back the internet cable to mom please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face

MikeStmria posted:

give back the internet cable to mom please

No she's gonna talk for hours ughhhhh