Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

The upgrade planner things already been answered...

but blue belts are incredibly inefficient uses of material.

Red belts a 2x as fast as yellow belts but cost 4x the resources.
Blue belts are 3x as fast but cost 11x the resources

Blue belts are great when you need to pack a lot of resources through a small space. But if you're building new constructions than using red belts as the normal is far more efficient, leaving many more resources for science and ammo. Yellow belts are obviously the most efficient but red is a good balance between speed and cost. Parallel designs, space is unlimited.

Counterpoint: the simpler logistics of only having to carry one kind of belt makes it worth it to use them everywhere, eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Looks like particles are no longer going to be classified as entities

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Counterpoint: the simpler logistics of only having to carry one kind of belt makes it worth it to use them everywhere, eventually

Agreed. I make a complete upgrade from yellow to red, excepting whatever weaving I do when I'm feeling like making some real spaghetti, and then gently caress around forever in the pre-blue belts tier and my mall doesn't have to evolve. It's perfect. :shrug:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

And space is relatively unlimited. Instead of 4 blue belts you could have 12 yellow belts carrying the same amount of ore/plate/circuits/whatever. The only time faster belts are absolutely needed is when you're space limited, like trying to cram as many copper plates as possible into a beaconed wire assembler, or when loading trains, since you can (realistically) only have 12 inserters per car. Yes I'm aware of shenanigans involving diagonal/curved rails to get more throughput but those aren't exactly common. The hard part is planning out enough space in advance.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The good news is that I broke my Factorio addiction to some extent. The bad news is that I did that with a game that runs on any device I have called Mindustry. Its very similar, but has a far more rigid tower defense structure to it. A lot fewer intermediate products and almost everything is or can be used as turret ammo.

If you want to play Factorio and all you have is a phone, Mindustry scratches that itch real good.

Its also one of only two free mobile games I have found EVER without ads. (Pixel Dungeon and its derivatives being the other)

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
My first pass at a red/green/grey science factory:

I spent way too long in a Rampant game trying to figure this out before realizing I was probably going to cost me that game, so I switched over to my old save where I'd conquered most of the continent already.

Most isn't all, though. So instead of toying with the above setup, I spent most of the week adding laser turrets, replacing the walls with reinforced ones, doing all the new research ... basically everything except figure out how to fit red, green, and grey science in one building. Until now.

I feel like this particular factory is too complex, but I was too married to the existing red/green setup I had and just tried to cram in milsci anywhere I could find space. Pretty sure I could go back to not using side-loading on the red science assemblers, that rats-nest of undergrounds ... Also, the buffer chests so I could use this as an emergency mall was a bit of extra complexity that wasn't necessary.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there some method or mod to force a belt not to make a bend that doesn't involve adding a bit to the end like so or using underground belts, which imo is unaesthetic?

An easier way to phrase it would probably be: is there any way to force a belt to be straight?

(no conversion therapy)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can put a belt on the opposite side pointing in, if you prefer. (Which often makes sense since you're putting one stream of resources on one lane and a different one on the other). Otherwise no.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can put an underground belt at the 'crossing' to get the same effect, iirc.

so instead of:
code:
>>>>>>
   ^
   ^
   ^
build it like this:
code:
U>>>>>
^
^
^
(u=underground belt exit)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Black Griffon posted:

or using underground belts

but still, thanks for the feedback, just gotta have to deal with it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Note that by using an underground like that the belt feeding onto it can only drain from a single lane ever.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, that's what I read in the main bus quick guide, so I'm not a fan either way.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If you're pre-bots you can just ghost the belt and then never build it, giving the same effect.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Man is there any way to deal with that instinct to just start over if a tiny detail about your current map or setup makes you feel uneasy? I have no idea how many hours of Factorio I've played, as the 80 hours on steam doesn't include the time I've played off steam, but I've only launched one rocket, because I keep just wanting to start over.

I guess, in a sense, it's not a huge problem, because starting over gives me a good, fun rush, but it also prevents me from spending as much time in the endgame as I'd wish.

This isn't only a Factorio thing, to be fair, but I think that's the game where I abandon the most progress. I can feel quite finished with a city in Skylines after a short while, for example, because occasionally all you want to do there is build a quaint town.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Factorio is very much a create your own challenge game, and dealing with the mess you've made is part of it. I still struggle to play the way I think I should - for example, it seems right rush to automating gears/belts/circuits/inserters/assemblers, and THEN worry about starting a proper base, but I always wind up dawdling around in the early game concerning myself with optimizing the overall design of my base and bottlenecking myself for a long time. It's a hard habit to break, but it's been fun to go through so far so I don't regret it.

My next playthrough will probably be going for sub 8 hours, so that will force me to worry less about optimization of my base and more about optimization of my time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I fell rear end backwards back into this game and have played like 40 hours in the past week or so alone. I see some small changes here and there from the last time I played but for the most part it seems like not a ton has changed. I do love the new toolbar stuff for the drones, I'm sure these features were there previously like copy/paste but only available through hot buttons? I'm just now spinning up my blue circuit production and trying to squash issues as they come up. I spent so long trying to get more oil byproducts going because my plastic bar production was low due to only having TWO oil blotches on my map that I can see so far, and only just now realized my iron plates way back at the front of the line aren't filling up anymore and I need to start shipping in more plates. :psyduck:

God I love this game.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Man is there any way to deal with that instinct to just start over if a tiny detail about your current map or setup makes you feel uneasy? I have no idea how many hours of Factorio I've played, as the 80 hours on steam doesn't include the time I've played off steam, but I've only launched one rocket, because I keep just wanting to start over.

I guess, in a sense, it's not a huge problem, because starting over gives me a good, fun rush, but it also prevents me from spending as much time in the endgame as I'd wish.

This isn't only a Factorio thing, to be fair, but I think that's the game where I abandon the most progress. I can feel quite finished with a city in Skylines after a short while, for example, because occasionally all you want to do there is build a quaint town.

I learn something new every playthrough I do. Going for all the different game finish achievements really helped a lot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My defenses are way more slapdash than all of yours, I burned out last time trying to find the perfect set of blueprints and making everything as uniform as possible. I end up just sticking whatever I can where I need to and going with that. I think once I have more of a drone army going on I'll be able to consider building great walls but for now eh it's more fun to me this way.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
An advantage of always playing with 2+ other players in multiplayer is that whatever uniformity you think you're bringing to the table will inevitably compete with the uniformity brought by others. As long as you can all agree on right-hand or left-hand rail, though, the factory will sort itself out! :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

XkyRauh posted:

As long as you can all agree on left-hand rail, though, the factory will sort itself out! :)

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

XkyRauh posted:

An advantage of always playing with 2+ other players in multiplayer is that whatever uniformity you think you're bringing to the table will inevitably compete with the uniformity brought by others. As long as you can all agree on right-hand or left-hand rail, though, the factory will sort itself out! :)

Or, you can start with the default FARL rails (two empty rail spaces between), have another person use their 3-spaces-between blueprint in some places, and have some people only agreeing that rails should be connected in some form or fashion, so you build around it and leave it as a monument.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

nullfunction posted:

Or, you can start with the default FARL rails (two empty rail spaces between), have another person use their 3-spaces-between blueprint in some places, and have some people only agreeing that rails should be connected in some form or fashion, so you build around it and leave it as a monument.

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. :)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Factorio: what the actual gently caress

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

nullfunction posted:

I love it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

XkyRauh posted:

As long as you can all agree on right-hand or left-hand rail, though, the factory will sort itself out! :)
Can't even agree on this playing alone.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 29, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nullfunction posted:

That's impressive. Is building a complicated rail network helpful in late-game?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Building a rail network is helpful, because it's faster and cheaper than belting resources across the map.

Building a complicated rail network is sometimes helpful but rarely necessary.

But it is fun.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
But every once and a while you end up with a massive nightmare when one single chain signal has screwed up and the entire opposite side of the base is completely deadlocked.

I still have no idea why it happened, or how. 20+ trains ran for hours without a problem or me touching the rails, then boom.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

kidkissinger posted:

That's impressive. Is building a complicated rail network helpful in late-game?

You want to build a simple but full-featured rail network. Being complicated is just a characteristic that's gonna emerge from it, the way life emerged from primordial ooze.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like I can get everything done with one line and sidings but I'm terrible at this game. Any good guides for overall design optimization? I feel like my production is very boom/bust.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn that's awesome, I do one line of rails to and from what I need and slap an engine on either side. As a former OpenTTD addict this does intrigue me, but I never had to deal with spitters in that game..

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The important thing is to make sure you have enough materials - belts can be a bit deceptive like that, because they'll fill up over time and make it look like you have a huge excess even if you're only making a small surplus. Then you build something that actually consumes those products, and everything just vanishes in an instant.

To use a concrete example: Iron Gears. They're used in a lot of stuff, so perhaps it makes sense to produce them in one location, right? So maybe you split some iron off an existing line, run it to six gear assemblers, and then run an extra line of iron gears next to your iron plates. And then you go off and do something else, and when you come back your iron gear line has filled up, looking good.

But if you try and actually use those iron gears to produce something else, you'll find that things are not actually so good. In fact, all those iron gears just vanish, with only an occasional solitary gear coming down the line. So you go to see what the problem is and, well, it turns out six assemblers just aren't enough - they're running full tilt and still can't keep up. So you do the math on how many assemblers you need to fill a belt, double-check it because that doesn't seem right, it's really quite a lot?, rearrange other parts of your base to make room, and build out something to make a full belt of gears.

Then you realise that only a quarter of those assemblers are actually working, because that's all you can manage with the half-belt of iron that you're splitting off your main iron line. If you want to make a full belt of gears, you need two full belts of iron plates, so you need to find room for some more smelters, and get some more iron ore coming in, and...

The best advice is to think about how much of something you'll need from the start, and even if you don't build it all now, at least leave room so you can build it later when you need it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The corollary that works really well for me is, don't add a new build to your base without also adding the production to supply that build.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's also worth noting that you can (and probably will) build a kind of lovely starting base that makes all of the critical stuff and chugs along with science slowly. Later, you get the tech and infrastructure to build additional processing areas and get stuff built en masse.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
In other words : build the base that lets you build the next base that lets you build the next base that lets you ....

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Once you are trying to scale up your base (ie you know how to beat the game and start off with intent for 300 SPM or something) you spend a lot of time staring at the production 10m graphs and scribbling notes/figures, probably as much as actually "playing" the game.

On that expensive mode game we were playing & abandoned when the new biters came out we had a mixed Left/Right hand train system :) It started as a left hand drive expansion from our base, and eventually separate expansions became part of one long network. It handles it pretty well as long as you put a few funky roundabouts actually.

We're like 40 hours into a new game already and already in the "pushing out on a 10min train to ore patches in the billions" phase, which was more like 100 hours in expensive mode.

explosivo posted:

My defenses are way more slapdash than all of yours, I burned out last time trying to find the perfect set of blueprints and making everything as uniform as possible. I end up just sticking whatever I can where I need to and going with that. I think once I have more of a drone army going on I'll be able to consider building great walls but for now eh it's more fun to me this way.

This was how I played until .17.69 or whatever one brought the biter pathing changes tbh. Figure out the chokepoints or what they were attacking and throw down some "last mile" defenses. The current game is really the first one I've had with a full 100% defended exterior wall with laser turrets and a farm of accumulators to smooth out the power jumps. The biters are definitely a bit more fun/challenging and it took deeper into the game for us to get over the hump of almost never being in danger of dying. Then nukes :getin:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FnF posted:

In other words : build the base that lets you build the next base that lets you build the next base that lets you ....

My strategy was to build a core base that lets me build trains. From there everything is modular so it's not one base to build the next forever but the base infrastructure to start barfing trains all over everything.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is solar viable?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Definitely, just requires a lot more space and time to build than shovelling coal into boilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does it improve your relations enough to justify?