Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
do you name the mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All you mice killers will end up in hell where you will be reduced to soups, foreverially

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Choose your fighter:

There's one more image in this series that I can't loving find. It's a calico cat that looks like it's flexing a bicep. Does anyone have it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blind Rasputin posted:

many other organs (I’d say the only exception here is their kidney is a single large nephron unlike ours) is identical to ours.

To what extent does that matter?

People can lose a kidney with no ill effects and some people are born with horseshoe kidneys. You, the reader, might have one, if you’ve never had imaging or surgery in the area.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's kinda cheating. It's not an animal that just looks like it's muscly as hell, it is an animal that is muscly as hell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

To what extent does that matter?

People can lose a kidney with no ill effects and some people are born with horseshoe kidneys. You, the reader, might have one, if you’ve never had imaging or surgery in the area.

"No ill effects" is an exaggeration, you can live with one kidney, but it's not ideal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

"No ill effects" is an exaggeration, you can live with one kidney, but it's not ideal

You can live with one kidney until you die :shrug:

(Old Finnish saying: "If twins don't die young, they die old.")

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Dissect out the organs, maybe a liver or in my case part of the brain. Flash freeze on liquid nitrogen. Then put the piece of tissue in a tube containing RNA extraction solution. It’s really just phenol/chloroform and some enzymes. Use that tissue blender to totally homogenize the tissue and cavitation breaks all the cells open releasing the DNA and RNA. It doesn’t foam up very much at all, and works amazingly well, actually.

Then you use a high speed centrifuge to separate the organic and aqueous phase, get the DNA/RNA by pipeting out the aqueous phase into a fresh tube. Clean the FNA/RNA with a few mixes of ethanol/isopropyl alcohol to clean away any proteins or phenol that may still linger, then precipitate the DNA/RNA into a pellet using ethanol and high speed centrifuge. DNA/RNA aren’t soluble in ethanol so it turns into a pellet at the bottom of the tube under 13,000g.

Then, submit the super pure genetic material to a DNAse reaction to destroy all the DNA and leave just RNA. Then, after all that, you can run quantitative PCR on the RNA to determine just how active your favorite certain genes were at the moment you lopped that mouses head off and cut out it’s brain!

As an aside, phenol is super weird tasting and smelling and it’s what is in chloroseptic throat spray, so every time I use that stuff I think of mouse brains.

Hang on: the advert clearly boasts about homogenising an entire mouse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I have some bad news about your cat

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Saying that only having one kidney can lead to health issues in itself provides an example of why the biological differences between mice and man can be important for research. If you wanted to investigate what exactly these health issues are, you couldn't use a mouse with an excised kidney as an animal model.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Randaconda posted:

wtf

Big Organ Donation has been systematically lying to the public.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Living isn't ideal. If losing a kidney gets you in a grave a bit earlier what harm is that?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Inceltown posted:

Living isn't ideal. If losing a kidney gets you in a grave a bit earlier what harm is that?

But if I'm donating one of my kidneys to prolong someone else's life, then I'm harming them so I should keep my kidney. But if I keep my kidney, I'm prolonging my own life. :psyduck:

BRB going to remove both of my kidneys.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Railing Kill posted:

But if I'm donating one of my kidneys to prolong someone else's life, then I'm harming them so I should keep my kidney. But if I keep my kidney, I'm prolonging my own life. :psyduck:

You don't have to donate it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lady Disdain posted:

You don't have to donate it.

:hmmyes:

*Slowly slides knife out of own torso* Go onnn....?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Railing Kill posted:

You could eat it. Or keep it in a jar on your desk. Or throw it at a passing badger.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I appreciate the new thread subtitle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why but I always kinda thought those mouse soup maker things were for making snakes liquid mice for when they feel bad.

I guess if you could shrink people down it'd save a hell of a lot of money on a funeral.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Inceltown posted:

Like Alan Watts said, dying is just moving out of the way for someone else

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Amphigory posted:

What else did you put in there? Don't lie to us...

Well, there's the lab Christmas Party.

"Great news everyone! Professor Flanders-Dunbar has procured 750 milliliters of a fine distilled spirit called Patron!"

"We need to procure a device to allow us to compound a mixture known as a Margarita!"

"Do any of you young, knowing graduate students have any idea?"

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Well, there's the lab Christmas Party.

"Great news everyone! Professor Flanders-Dunbar has procured 750 milliliters of a fine distilled spirit called Patron!"

"We need to procure a device to allow us to compound a mixture known as a Margarita!"

"Do any of you young, knowing graduate students have any idea?"

"Does this tequila taste like frothy mouse organs to anyone else?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Nope, tastes like minimally frothed mouse organs.

Honestly? It could use some froth."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I take a fancy medication where the active part is made inside GMO hamster ovaries, and I've been figuring one of those devices (and then some other equipment) is how they get it out. The medicine makes me not in horrifying pain all the time and is supposed to prolong my lifespan ~15 years. Seems pretty metal to me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

Saying that only having one kidney can lead to health issues in itself provides an example of why the biological differences between mice and man can be important for research. If you wanted to investigate what exactly these health issues are, you couldn't use a mouse with an excised kidney as an animal model.

Maybe YOU couldn’t

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sam Faust posted:

He wasn't saying mice have only one kidney. He said the mouse kidney consists of a single large nephron, unlike ours, which consists of a bunch of little ones.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

Just go to the Candy Mountain, Charlie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/JBwol/status/1197205872986017794

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Railing Kill posted:

Throw them into the ocean. It's perfectly legal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Besesoth posted:

Throw them into the ocean. It's perfectly legal.

only if you survive, otherwise that's dumping human remains

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

I take a fancy medication where the active part is made inside GMO hamster ovaries, and I've been figuring one of those devices (and then some other equipment) is how they get it out. The medicine makes me not in horrifying pain all the time and is supposed to prolong my lifespan ~15 years. Seems pretty metal to me.

Between this and, if you weren't kidding about being a crow friend in the iosm thread, you are metal as hell, goddamn

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's not so bad, the CHO cells just piss the drugs out, easy to separate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Behold, the apotheosis of the "re-cover your book once the movie comes out"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Behold, the apotheosis of the "re-cover your book once the movie comes out"

Is that Adam Driver?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Is that Adam Driver?

Yes it was made into a movie with Adam Driver

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

bike tory posted:

Yes it was made into a movie with Adam Driver

Just two hours of him sitting at a computer, silently filling FOIA requests and sipping coffee

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jojoinnit posted:

Just two hours of him sitting at a computer, silently filling FOIA requests and sipping coffee

but is he wearing a shirt? this is important!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
love the new thread title

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WrenP-Complete posted:

I take a fancy medication to reduce my lifespan by ~15 years :boobeer:

It also makes sure I'm not in horrifying pain all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol at wanting to live on this planet for 15 additional years