Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

LawfulWaffle posted:

We use SysAid for our ticketing but the only metrics that really got pulled from it were when I was a Network Technician. That's because I would pull reports to confirm that I was doing twice as much work as my two coworkers and later to say that 40% of our tickets were for things the user should be able to manage themselves (password resets where there's an obvious "Forgot Password?" button)

I was helping an assistant director here set up a new account that is increasingly important to operations. During this transition to this new domain we all got new email addresses that are in -=THE CLOUD=- which isn't supported by our Outlook and upgrading our Outlook desktop clients would involve putting it on unsupported hardware so everyone is forced to use webmail, which they hate. So to get into webmail they have a new user ID, and part of the process is establishing a way to retrieve the password in case the user forgets it. So cue this assistant director lawyer type sitting next to me trying to set up her account. I advise her that the easiest way through it is to just put in her mobile number so they text her a code, but she opts to do the security questions. Now, normally I wouldn't look but I did catch a glimpse of what she was putting in and they were all nonsense answers, like "nothing" and "anywhere", just incredibly vague and forgettable answers.

About a week later I saw that she had submitted a ticket to reset her "webmail password" :suicide:

To be fair, many security questions are stupid to begin with: "What were you doing on New Years Eve in 1999?" First off, gently caress if I remember, that was almost 20 years ago. Second, I'm sure I did many things, including eating, drinking, and breathing. There's absolutely zero chance that I am ever going to remember what I put as an answer to that, or any similar question.

On the other hand, security questions that are specific like "what city were you born in?" are too easy to guess or phish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

PremiumSupport posted:

To be fair, many security questions are stupid to begin with: "What were you doing on New Years Eve in 1999?" First off, gently caress if I remember, that was almost 20 years ago. Second, I'm sure I did many things, including eating, drinking, and breathing. There's absolutely zero chance that I am ever going to remember what I put as an answer to that, or any similar question.

On the other hand, security questions that are specific like "what city were you born in?" are too easy to guess or phish.

You just generate a password for them and store them in the Notes field in you manager.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
The phrase "Oh there's a script which does that"

Oh good... where the gently caress is this script, how the gently caress was I suppose to find it, and how the gently caress was I ever supposed to know about it?
I think I should be a librarian with the amount of documenting I do.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Inspector_666 posted:

You just generate a password for them and store them in the Notes field in you manager.

I do this and it works perfectly well.

Until I have an issue that I need to discuss on the phone and they ask the security question and I have to tell them the answer 'lW1hkFNwhgP33eJfHfNl'

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

I did some work on a daily fantasy football betting site where one of the security questions was "What is your favorite sport?"

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Jeoh posted:

We were acquired by a large German industrial manufacturing conglomerate in August, and they've been sending our employees threatening e-mails

I would unquestioningly follow these orders if the company is called Madrigal Electromotive.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Never pick a fight with angry Germans

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klosterdev posted:

Never pick a fight with angry Germans

Germans are harmless compared to Austrians.

That's not a Hitler joke, Austrians are some of the nastiest people I've had the misfortune of working with.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody got a cloud-hosted eFax provider they actually like? Or is it just a matter of finding one that sucks in the least awful way for our company?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody got a cloud-hosted eFax provider they actually like? Or is it just a matter of finding one that sucks in the least awful way for our company?
Everything about dealing with fax is a matter of finding the solution that sucks the least. It's always pain, it's just a matter of what kind of pain you prefer.

All I can say is that I strongly recommend using a service that has both email and web interfaces, so it's possible to verify if something someone has sent via email has actually reached the service and what its current status is. You want to limit your responsibility to the email part, and leave the fax part to the suckers you're paying.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shut up Meg posted:

I do this and it works perfectly well.

Until I have an issue that I need to discuss on the phone and they ask the security question and I have to tell them the answer 'lW1hkFNwhgP33eJfHfNl'

I've had to do this plenty of times and have yet to have a phone tech be anything but unphased by it.

poo poo pissing me off: vendors. I've been working to stand up a software solution for a couple months now and have met in person with a pre-sales engineer and salesguy from this vendor a couple times. The first meeting was good, they were surprised at how far I'd gotten on my own just by reading some of their getting started guides. The engineer threw out a list of things he was going to do before his next visit.

One month passes. Engineer has made no progress, hasn't even attempted to remote in to our system. THE NIGHT BEFORE our next in-person, he remotes in. Kinda annoyed, but fine. We meet for an hour. Their next meeting is canceled so they stick around for another 90 minutes and the engineer is forced to put in some work. He finishes 10% of our proposed POC and leaves with a list of 5 things that need to be done before they demo this to my boss and director. The demo is scheduled for two weeks.

Two weeks pass. Engineer has made no progress, has yet again not even attempted to remote in. The day before the demo I send him and the salesman an email to say hey, what's up with this? Engineer writes back that he "tried to connect last night but there must have been some kind of permission issue". lmao, that's not what my logs say. Another couple back and forth emails, I give them an out and way to reschedule if needed, engineer assures me he can get it all done before the demo. Sure, fine, let's just get it over with. Demo scheduled for the next morning (which is today, Nov 21).

Checked my work email last night around 8, there's an email from the engineer. He says he's had an unexpected family emergency and had to leave the state. Meeting is cancelled.

:geno:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Pretending to work and continuing to get paid for it seems to be quite the art form.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Business Directive: Hey, (phone) QA team. When you grade our phone agents, one of the metrics is if they chose the correct type of case. Like if it's a case about being unable to log in, the agent should have chose the "Unable to Log In" option.

QA: Sure!

QA: We have 95%+ accuracy on case coding!

My team: *Reviews a bunch of cases. Discovers that at least full quarter of cases aren't right.*

My team: Hey QA, how do you determine if case was coded right?

QA: We listen to the call, and if it's plausible, we say it's OK!

My team: You don't, like, refer to the list of possible codes to see if they chose the a relevant one?

QA: No. That's a huge pain in the rear end.

My team: So...how do determine if the case was coded right?

QA: If it jut sounds good, we say it was right!

My team: So, if the agent picked "Other" what would you do?

QA: If I didn't think there was one better, I'd mark the case right!

My team: Without looking to see if there was actually a better option? Or any relevant option at all?

QA: Yeah that'd take too long.

...why the gently caress do we even capture this data in the first place if no one can be assed to do it right, seriously

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ConfusedUs posted:

QA:
My team:

If you take this and extrapolate it to infinity, you get the entirety of modern corporate operations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

poo poo that pisses me off? Jenkins. Specifically the documentation. loving worthless. The wiki should just be pages of giant blinking red text that says “HAHAHAHAHAH gently caress YOU BITCH!!!”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My jenkins support model is to copy the first line of the java stack trace vomit and paste it into google. If that doesn't yield a solution I give up and go home.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I paid $48.7k for a machine that, among other things, prints a little expiration date on what passes through it. That printer was a $2.5k add on.

I put the machine together and started programming it and found that the while the printer would generate any fixed text string you want, it would ignore any fields such as the time or today's date + 1 year that were calculated during production.

I assumed I was missing something pretty simple so I felt a little silly when I called the vendor.

It costs an additional $490 to unlock that functionality. Per printhead.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

deedee megadoodoo posted:

poo poo that pisses me off? Jenkins. Specifically the documentation. loving worthless. The wiki should just be pages of giant blinking red text that says “HAHAHAHAHAH gently caress YOU BITCH!!! LEEEEEEEERRRRRRROOOOOOOYYYYYYY!!!!!!”

FTFY

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Pretending to work and continuing to get paid for it seems to be quite the art form.

With an arbitrary BA or MA degree, you can more easily do it as management!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Network team doing a WAN router update without telling anyone right when I was about to start an update of my own...

To be fair I didn’t tell other teams of my update but it was a non disruptive one AND I have a change management ticket in for today that they did not

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

slartibartfast posted:

I'm sure there's similar ones out there but https://www.efax.co.uk/ was ok since it's entirely e-mail based, unless you want to use the site and do it by hand.

I remember for sending it was a simple case E-mailing the poo poo you want to send to a specific address with the fax number added in (this was mega useful with scan-to-email MFPs), and for receiving its just inbound e-mail where I just set it to use a distribution list for the whole office.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Department secretary just came to me asking about purchasing Quickbooks Pro for tracking POs and expense reports??? wHaT tHe gently caress

I mean our existing system isn't good (we don't really have one) but surely there is a better option than loving Quickbooks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, they’re all bad.

For the same scale of company that quickbooks serves, there’s peachtree. Or you could go cloud with something like freshbooks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
FreshBooks is great, simple and requires no management. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with the sales team.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Fool posted:

For the same scale of company that quickbooks serves, there’s peachtree.

Unless you're outside of the US, then just get hosed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Non work related poo poo that is pissing me off:

loving god dammit Amazon, what is the point of taking photos of your delivery location if you aren't bothering to use them to make sure your drivers are at the right delivery location?? I moved into my new house a week ago and have no internet set up, this was supposed to happen tomorrow but now my brand new modem, router, switch, and AP are at someone else's place and I guess they didn't feel the need to tell Amazon about it or walk it over to me. Whoever you are, if you're somewhere on my street, you're getting an angry visitor tonight :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They did that to me a few weeks ago. The best part is, that house also got packages. What photo did she get? Didn't the driver think it was odd to take a photo for two different accounts?

I complained, then a week later I got her packages at my door.

Amazon delivery drivers are the worst. At least FedEx only lies about knocking on the door.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bull3964 posted:

They did that to me a few weeks ago. The best part is, that house also got packages. What photo did she get? Didn't the driver think it was odd to take a photo for two different accounts?

I complained, then a week later I got her packages at my door.

Amazon delivery drivers are the worst. At least FedEx only lies about knocking on the door.

Amazon doesn't pay enough money for amazon delivery drivers to care.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
All shipping companies are terrible at some point depending on what region you are in.

The postal troll at my local rural post office (for a town of 300) takes great pride in scanning packages as delivered and then waiting a couple days before actually putting them in your PO box or parcel locker. She will also straight up lie if you show up and ask for it when you know it is there. On one occasion I have seen my package sitting behind her, pointed it out, and she lied and said it wasn't mine. (it was, the vendor logo was plastered all over the box, it couldn't have been more obvious). 2 days later, that same box is finally put into a parcel locker for me to retrieve. I have no idea what she gets out of doing this, other than being a sadistic bitch.

I've made several complaints about her to USPS as have other town residents. Nothing has changed.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

Amazon doesn't pay enough money for amazon delivery drivers to care.

Amazon's Last Mile was a good read for this sort of thing. poo poo's the wild west.

In things pissing me off: Budgets. We got hit by crypto back in March. Took us a week to restore everything, a long few days for a team of 4. Afterwards, we had a number of "security consults" and "Remediation and Prevention Planning Exercises". We were told that security was top of mind for the board, money is being set aside, there's plans in motion etc etc.

As with all things corporate, that turned out to be a filthy lie. We dropped probably 500k on consultants and poo poo, and the latest from management and the budget is "No money for improvements, no new FTE security person, do more with what you have". So, cool.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo that's pissed me off for 3 years now:

My loving company's bullshit AD naming convention. Initials! It's loving initials. User Franklin Roosevelt would be FDR. It makes using Powershell and finding users a pain in my rear end. Email addresses are a bit more sane. First inital last name but still, loving poo poo.

Granted, this is also the company that is using Symantec Encryption (which can't even update Win10 builds without a long process), is afraid of the :cloud:, and fights me having a god drat inventory set up. :sigh:

I need to find a more "modern" company.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Department secretary just came to me asking about purchasing Quickbooks Pro for tracking POs and expense reports??? wHaT tHe gently caress

I mean our existing system isn't good (we don't really have one) but surely there is a better option than loving Quickbooks.

Quickbooks was major pain in the rear end when I had to support it for the college I work at. It doesn't officially support automated installs despite being distributed as a .msi. I used to have to gently caress around with Orca to make silent installs work. And I would constantly get complaints about how slow it was, because instructors would keep telling students to word directly off of USB drives instead of using the network drives we gave them. Sometimes students would bring in lovely old USB 2.0 drives where it would sometimes take hours for workbooks to finish saving at the end of class. But luckily the business section of the college decided to start exclusively teaching with the web app/cloud version so it's not my problem anymore. :cool:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

stevewm posted:

All shipping companies are terrible at some point depending on what region you are in.

Yes, but only Amazon is terrible everywhere 100% of the time.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Non work related poo poo that is pissing me off:

loving god dammit Amazon, what is the point of taking photos of your delivery location if you aren't bothering to use them to make sure your drivers are at the right delivery location?? I moved into my new house a week ago and have no internet set up, this was supposed to happen tomorrow but now my brand new modem, router, switch, and AP are at someone else's place and I guess they didn't feel the need to tell Amazon about it or walk it over to me. Whoever you are, if you're somewhere on my street, you're getting an angry visitor tonight :argh:

i had a laptop and boots deliver to the house next door, only thing is that the house was abandoned and boarded up. UPS is really delivering it this quarter, last week their truck hit my car and drove off without a note.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Iron Rose posted:

FreshBooks is great, simple and requires no management. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with the sales team.

I assume you work (or worked there?) It looks good, can you give me a few points on 'why it is better' than Quickbooks that I can throw at her?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I assume you work (or worked there?) It looks good, can you give me a few points on 'why it is better' than Quickbooks that I can throw at her?

Knowing nothing about freshbooks, the lack of 20 years of tech debt is a definite plus.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

poo poo that's pissed me off for 3 years now:

My loving company's bullshit AD naming convention. Initials! It's loving initials. User Franklin Roosevelt would be FDR. It makes using Powershell and finding users a pain in my rear end. Email addresses are a bit more sane. First inital last name but still, loving poo poo.

Granted, this is also the company that is using Symantec Encryption (which can't even update Win10 builds without a long process), is afraid of the :cloud:, and fights me having a god drat inventory set up. :sigh:

I need to find a more "modern" company.

Honestly I've given up on fighting people for naming conventions. Now I just use powershell to look up the drat person's name and give me the user object.

get-adsuer -filter * | where-object{$_.name -like "Franklin Roosevelt"}

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Knowing nothing about freshbooks, the lack of 20 years of tech debt is a definite plus.

I upgraded a friend to the current quick books from the 2002 version. Took like three upgrades in a series but it worked

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I upgraded a friend to the current quick books from the 2002 version. Took like three upgrades in a series but it worked

It worked because there are minimal changes between versions and the only reason you had to do three upgrades is because of their "can't support more than three previous versions" policy they use to force people to keep buying their product.

And god forbid you have to use it for anything other than one person doing ledger entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MisterZimbu posted:

Yes, but only Amazon is terrible everywhere 100% of the time.

Fair enough.. I don't live in a big enough city for Amazon to have their own delivery people. So I have yet to experience the terribleness. I challenge anyone to claim they are worse then my local post office troll though, lol