Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

VolticSurge posted:

So, just beat the Ninth Sister . Classic Souls luck for me-fight kicked my rear end until that final attempt where I was gonna give up and complain on the internet about it,when I somehow beat it.

No, classic Souls is you DO go complain and then immediately on your next attempt you crush it and make it look easy and then feel like an rear end in a top hat for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Having a lot of fun with this. As someone who is too dumb and bad for dark souls this game makes me feel like I ‘m good when I take down boss/miniboss successfully. Im about 8-10 hours in I think and was just forced to go to dathomir. One thing that sucks that made me turn the difficulty down was the sheer impossibility of effectively using Z to dodge. I don’t have a gamepad so I’m desperately trying to find a good key for evading but it’s hard. Maybe a mousebutton or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

The combat cna be at once incredibly rewarding and frustrating because dodging and parrying don't always seems to work consistently

Dodge: rolls out of the way of a giant monster and stops rolling somewhere in Space Kansas

Dodge: trips face first into a stormtrooper's blaster bolt about two inches away from where the dodge started

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 21, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nightbrothers got a lot less annoying when I realised that their big overhead swing was an opportunity to smack them a few times.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Biplane posted:

Having a lot of fun with this. As someone who is too dumb and bad for dark souls this game makes me feel like I ‘m good when I take down boss/miniboss successfully. Im about 8-10 hours in I think and was just forced to go to dathomir. One thing that sucks that made me turn the difficulty down was the sheer impossibility of effectively using Z to dodge. I don’t have a gamepad so I’m desperately trying to find a good key for evading but it’s hard. Maybe a mousebutton or something.
i used R for my first playthrough. now i'm experimenting with mousebutton 4.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

No, classic Souls is you DO go complain and then immediately on your next attempt you crush it and make it look easy and then feel like an rear end in a top hat for posting.

This is me so hard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dathromir got a lot more fun when I actually was supposed to come for the story.

Enough human enemies to balance out the monster enemies, swarms of undead who you can mow down but will wreck your poo poo if you let them get the advantage, a giant bat boss fight... Looking forward to doing the rest after dinner.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SirSamVimes posted:

Nightbrothers got a lot less annoying when I realised that their big overhead swing was an opportunity to smack them a few times.
upgraded force pull too to thin out those assholes real quick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man this first planet just keeps on going. I've had a message about going to Kashyyk for a while but I keep finding places to explore, am I supposed to leave or keep poking around?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

Man this first planet just keeps on going. I've had a message about going to Kashyyk for a while but I keep finding places to explore, am I supposed to leave or keep poking around?

This game is Metroid Prime with Jedi. Poke around until you get bored of poking around.

Also don't leave Zeffo until you find the Scomp link.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Tomb2 there's a green door icon on my map that I definitely have no idea what ability to use on. Stone archway with curved bars and an orb behind it.

Edit: Just saw the Skungus. Sometimes I need to back away from the objective a bit.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 21, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh man oh man :allears:

I had been spoiled on the double bladed saber existing. I had no loving idea that I was going to also get dual sabers

This game is extremely good.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah but like, barely. For one attack.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dogen posted:

But what an attack!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dogen posted:

The only reason I was considering blowing a RedBox coupon for one more night of this game was hoping to unlock a third combat style, so this spoiler just saved me the points. TY!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat i picked this up on a whim and im like 6 hours into zeffo and have like 50% explored, this game is huge and also way better than i was expecting.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Biplane posted:

It's definitely spacebar. Just get used to using jump off another button. I was considering my ring finger button on my mouse for my kb+m playthrough but with spacebar:
1. Your thumb is always available and on position regardless which way you're quickstepping or dodging.
2. It's easy to hit at the exact same time as a direction and thus probably faster on reaction than dividing the task to two hands.
3. Although not a fighting game and honestly kinda trash (I could get into a tangent why separating it to thumb is the best choice that's related to weird all-button fighting game controllers) For Honor does spacebar to dodge too and it's extremely natural, though admittedly that game has no jump.

My biggest positive feedback about the game is actually seeing some YouTube videos of people doing no-damage fights of the Dathomir final boss on grand master and praising the game's combat there. Seems like quickstep legit has some i-frames too, avoiding the last frames of an unblockable at the tip range of its reach on Dathomir's final boss. Really wish they do dlc, expansion or a sequel that's more centered on humanoid boss fights.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Huh if they gave Quick Step I-frames but no i-frames for the dodge-roll that would be super hosed up, and I certainly didn’t notice any. Hmmmm

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you tap dodge with no direction input you actually get the best dodge option with the most iframes for the vast majority of attacks. It's also that specific Matrix dodge move that you can get a skill for so it straight regens your force bar. It's not intuitive to FROM veteran mindset AT ALL, but holy poo poo once you get good with it you not only look loving awesome but become a ridiculous goddamn badass who can prance around batons and then hurl guys off cliffs with the pull/push combo.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. On guys who you can't straight push because they have brace moves, you can pull them to get them off the ground and THEN push them immediately and they'll go flying like any other mook.

Now go, young padawan. Become a telekinetic god.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I mean I might be wrong, just noticed a comment on a video and I can't figure out what else could be going on there:

Dathomir end spoilers, suggested videos may spoil the entire game:
https://youtu.be/XGkpgthL6o8#t=1m55s

The moment at 1m58s to be exact.

Edit: While we may be talking up the mechanics here I'm sure some Soulsborne veteran can tell us how these systems are broken and for example how Sekiro might be doing things waaaay better. I'd probably venture a guess camera-work + out of camera creature attacks at least are legit bad design in crowded fights at least. I'm also little bit annoyed there's no good resource talking about the mechanics of the game. Imagine some Soulsborne portal might have some. There's not much customisation wrt powers/loadout so I can see it being unnecessary. Also the largest subreddit is memey trash.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 21, 2019

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Bust Rodd posted:

Huh if they gave Quick Step I-frames but no i-frames for the dodge-roll that would be super hosed up, and I certainly didn’t notice any. Hmmmm

I don't think I've ever gotten quick step to work properly in a fight, so I just always double tap to dodge. This also means I've never used the weak looking short range kick in a fight either, but I did it in open space when I first unlocked it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Beat this earlier today, about 17 hours played on Jedi Master and... did I miss something? I accidentally skipped the credits sequence, were there any teasers or stuff that comes up in the post game? It just sort of... ended. I thought destroying the Holocron was pretty dumb but understandable, even if most of the game was spent looking for it. Surprise Darth Vader was cool though. I feel that with a few tweaks a Fallen Order 2 could easily blow this one out of the water, although this is a very solid start for Respawn's first non-FPS game.

Also Merrin is best girl.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 21, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dessel posted:

It's definitely spacebar. Just get used to using jump off another button. I was considering my ring finger button on my mouse for my kb+m playthrough but with spacebar:
1. Your thumb is always available and on position regardless which way you're quickstepping or dodging.
2. It's easy to hit at the exact same time as a direction and thus probably faster on reaction than dividing the task to two hands.
3. Although not a fighting game and honestly kinda trash (I could get into a tangent why separating it to thumb is the best choice that's related to weird all-button fighting game controllers) For Honor does spacebar to dodge too and it's extremely natural, though admittedly that game has no jump.

Thanks, I’ll try it out :buddy:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BurningCourage posted:

Beat this earlier today, about 17 hours played on Jedi Master and... did I miss something? I accidentally skipped the credits sequence, were there any teasers or stuff that comes up in the post game? It just sort of... ended. I thought destroying the Holocron was pretty dumb but understandable, even if most of the game was spent looking for it. Surprise Darth Vader was cool though. I feel that with a few tweaks a Fallen Order 2 could easily blow this one out of the water, although this is a very solid start for Respawn's first non-FPS game.

Also Merrin is best girl.

No that’s it. I don’t know what more you could want though. You did what you set out to do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jabro posted:

No that’s it. I don’t know what more you could want though. You did what you set out to do.

This. I don't understand the people saying the ending just happens out of nowhere, the pacing and buildup was very clear and that finale bit was edge of your seat poo poo. What the gently caress were you guys expecting?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think after the slow pace of the rest of the game it was kind of a fast ride through the end and it feels like the game kinda ended when it was getting good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I like the design of the Mantis--it neatly splits the Republic- and Empire-era deign aesthetics.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm able to run the game on max settings and there have only been a couple of small glitches for me. Some of the load times are still lovely though.

Yeah the load times are insane. I thought I had accidentally installed the game on my HDD instead of my NVMe but nope, was installed where it should be and still takes forever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's doing my head in to see how many chests I'm missing. There are rooms with like 4 chests and I have no idea where they even could be

Dogen
May 5, 2002

precision posted:

It's doing my head in to see how many chests I'm missing. There are rooms with like 4 chests and I have no idea where they even could be

The map tells you what’s in what room if you scroll around. It’s be impossible otherwise. Also you can’t get everything on the first go on most planets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Madurai posted:

I like the design of the Mantis--it neatly splits the Republic- and Empire-era deign aesthetics.

Yeah there's a lot of really strong art design in this, even if it didn't reach full potential. The scrapper planet did a very good job of integrating the prequel aesthetic into the mix. I was legit impressed by some of those vistas of yards full of clone trooper transports, piles of dead droids, etc.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah there's a lot of really strong art design in this, even if it didn't reach full potential. The scrapper planet did a very good job of integrating the prequel aesthetic into the mix. I was legit impressed by some of those vistas of yards full of clone trooper transports, piles of dead droids, etc.

I experienced the game as mostly an atmosphere renderer. I enjoyed being in the world even if I didn't care for much of the actual playing of the game (save for the killing poo poo while driving the AT-AT part, which I could have happily done for about three hours)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thoroughly loved all of Kashyyyk except for one section near the end with three spiders and a couple of slugs that I eventually had to flee past in defeat.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the crashed Republic poo poo on Zeffo was cool too, although less impressive.

One thing I feel like they nailed is the door open/close in the imperial built areas.

Madurai posted:

I experienced the game as mostly an atmosphere renderer. I enjoyed being in the world even if I didn't care for much of the actual playing of the game (save for the killing poo poo while driving the AT-AT part, which I could have happily done for about three hours)

That should be its own game, honestly. Imperial War Machine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Biplane posted:

I thoroughly loved all of Kashyyyk except for one section near the end with three spiders and a couple of slugs that I eventually had to flee past in defeat.

Once you learn that you can instant kill spiders by parrying them they become much easier.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some of the story sequences in this are really cool.

I just had the vision in the vault in Bogano, then immediately got bodied by Second Sister. This game is good.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Those spiders seem dead set on only using their rear up attack on me. Though I don’t mind cause they are probably my least favorite enemy to fight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

wiegieman posted:

Once you learn that you can instant kill spiders by parrying them they become much easier.

LoL Excuse me wut

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Always scan enemies after you beat them the first time, the enemy data includes advice for fighting them. That's how I learned about instant killing spiders via parrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Excuse me wut

Yeah the long-winded leaping charge attack gives you an insta-kill animation prompt when you parry it where Cal jumps on the spider and stabs it. I wonder if there are other similar ones in the game.