Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Smegbot posted:

If anyone's looking for inspiration for a secret santa gift, Warhammer World has buckets of dice they are selling off - it's £15 for 20 and the Idoneth Deepkin dice are among the options (see https://www.goonhammer.com/your-dice-suck/).

For a £30 secret santa getting 40 of those fucks would seriously ruin anyone's Christmas...

Is this in store only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I always hear people post about 9th edition. I don't see it anywhere else, only this thread. Why do people here think they're about to release a new edition any time soon (especially given the mountain of recent books)? This isn't rhetorical, I don't follow releases and am ignorant.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I always hear people post about 9th edition. I don't see it anywhere else, only this thread. Why do people here think they're about to release a new edition any time soon (especially given the mountain of recent books)? This isn't rhetorical, I don't follow releases and am ignorant.

Just look at the time between editions.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

9th edition, much like 4th/5th/6th/7th edition, is unlikely to invalidate anything, and would just be a tweak to core rules. The mountain of recent books would still be valid.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I don’t see it either, to me it seems like they’re most likely going to do something that will be like 8.5 edition by giving the rest of the sub factions books the way the Space Marine chapters have. Well as an Ork player I really hope that’s what they’ll do.

On the subject of books, is it worthwhile for a casual player that just plays at the local Warhammer shop and isn’t using all the rules yet to get the new Chapter Approved book when it comes out.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

I don’t see it either, to me it seems like they’re most likely going to do something that will be like 8.5 edition by giving the rest of the sub factions books the way the Space Marine chapters have. Well as an Ork player I really hope that’s what they’ll do.

One problem with 8th is that it doesn’t have enough rulebooks, so this would be a great change imo.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Anime_Otaku posted:

If they do this I hope it's done more like the Chaos stuff in PA2. There's no reason to have 5-6 books per faction for like two dozen pages of new rules, it should all be together.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

We should make a new thread after 9th drops, and we can do new army images for it. That'll be fun and every indication is that it's happening next year and it feels like we can wait until then.

Yeah let's do this. Seeing everyone's cool models was great last time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Some Blood Angels rules leaked.

Mephiston gets +1A, +1W, Chief Librarian rule. Plasma Pistol unmodified 1 is 'destroyed' and not 'slain' for some reason.

Lemartes knows Litany of Hate plus two Litanies from Litanies of Battle. Reroll aura is in line with new verbiage.

Astorath knows Litany of Hate plus three Litanies from Litanies of Battle, and can chant two of them. Reroll aura also in line with new wording.

I'm excited.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Only Schadenboner has the necessary energy to make new 40k ops.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The thread must decide between the future and the past

I rest my case

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Goonhammer dudes: Thank you for all of the insightful and helpful articles. Since this is something I've heard people talking about but never had the courage to do myself, could you do (or link) a tutorial on magnetizing? I like the idea of the added versatility it brings but I am hopelessly non-mechanically inclined. Keep up the great work!

masam
May 27, 2010
Oh god those leaks better be real

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I've been noticing "destroyed" used instead of "slain" lately, too.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

xtothez posted:

There's no reason to have 5-6 books per faction for like two dozen pages of new rules, it should all be together.

I need justification for having this bookshelf.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

masam posted:

Oh god those leaks better be real

Pictures of datasheets on Spikeybits, seems real.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seems like an unsanitary place to keep your Bad Dragon.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Stupid useless question:

Vox Daemonicus posted:

... Infantry model only, enemy units within 6” of this model reduce their aura abilites’ ranges to 1” ...

If it's Night Lords vs. Night Lords, and two models both with this relic get within 6" of each other... what happens? Or is it itself not considered an 'aura'?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Giant Isopod posted:

Stupid useless question:

If it's Night Lords vs. Night Lords, and two models both with this relic get within 6" of each other... what happens? Or is it itself not considered an 'aura'?

Clearly it's a matter-antimatter explosion thing. The anti-aura auras overload and both characters are slain. Oh, wait, excuse me, "destroyed". :colbert:

...okay, I kid. The only way to handle it in the incredibly rare chance of a Night Lord v Night Lord fight (I don't think I've fought against Night Lords ever in 8th, much less seen two at the same event) would be to mention it pre-game to your opponent and agree that it means you're both at 1" or you're both at 6". As long as you both know how it's going to work before anyone rolls any dice, you'll be fine.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Someone at my local game store sold off their warhammer collection just before I dropped in and I was able to get my favorite model for $15... Behold, the worst painted Noise Boi I've seen. I can't wait to strip all this off and give him a proper Emperor's Children paint job. Or should I go Flawless Host? Any other cool slanneshi warband colors I should consider?

Finding pre-owned models seems like the way to go for me, I don't really have interest in playing the game I just like to paint the models while listening to the pulpy sci fi audiobooks. I'm gonna end up with a handful of everything eventually and then give it all to some kid that doesn't have enough money to buy the army he wants some day

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

xtothez posted:

If they do this I hope it's done more like the Chaos stuff in PA2. There's no reason to have 5-6 books per faction for like two dozen pages of new rules, it should all be together.

Yeah, I can see that being better, the space marines books were just what came to mind, I definitely think a single book would be better as imo it makes narrative sense for Ork armies to be soups because of Thraka’s Great WAAGH!, unless they made a rule specifically for him.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Apparently getting Litanies for Death Company is enough of an offensive boost that a squad of 15 with Power Swords is capable of taking Knights off the table in one go.

:getin:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

We should make a new thread after 9th drops, and we can do new army images for it. That'll be fun and every indication is that it's happening next year and it feels like we can wait until then.

I'm happy to have the existing OP be cannibalized into whatever people want for the 9th ed OP or someone else can just write it from scratch.

masam
May 27, 2010

Strobe posted:

Apparently getting Litanies for Death Company is enough of an offensive boost that a squad of 15 with Power Swords is capable of taking Knights off the table in one go.

:getin:

Yes....YES! I cant wait to run all of the death company!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

masam posted:

Yes....YES! I cant wait to run all of the death company!

Apparently with the Litany for +1A/+1S/+1D, the Litany of Hate to reroll hits, and the Unleash Rage psychic power, you can kill a knight on average with 6 dudes with Power Swords.

I'm so loving ready.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Apparently with the Litany for +1A/+1S/+1D, the Litany of Hate to reroll hits, and the Unleash Rage psychic power, you can kill a knight on average with 6 dudes with Power Swords.

I'm so loving ready.

Ooh new Hammer of Math article.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ooh new Hammer of Math article.

Death Company getting Litanies feels like it miiiight be a step too far.

I love it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Do the other races get anything similar to a Smash Captain? Not necessarily a vehicle killer, maybe something like a single character or small squad that can be set up in a way that they can wipe a big blob of infantry in a turn?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Do the other races get anything similar to a Smash Captain? Not necessarily a vehicle killer, maybe something like a single character or small squad that can be set up in a way that they can wipe a big blob of infantry in a turn?

Harlequin Solitare/Harlequins. They are fragile though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Anime_Otaku posted:

Lord Discordants can be pretty terrifying. Genestealers as well.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime_Otaku posted:

The closest I can think of for Craftworld Eldar is probably the Phoenix Lord Karandras. You can set him up anywhere outside of 9" from the enemy, there's a couple ways Craftworlders can make his charge easier. base 4 attacks hit on 2+ with a power fist profile, 6s to hit make extra attacks and you can spend 1 cp for the Supreme Disdain stratagem to make them add 2 for a phase. when he attacks something in cover his hits explode on 5+. plus his custom mandiblasters which roll 4d6 and inflict mortal wounds for each 5+.

his damage isn't anywhere as reliable as a good smash captain, obviously, between the variable damage of his high-strength weapon and not providing his own rerolls to hit, but he doesn't cost nearly as much in command points to get to optimum effectiveness

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Strobe posted:

I love it.

11 dudes with Thunder Hammers will take a Warlord off the table.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Strobe posted:

I'm so loving ready.

that litany is only for the chaplain himself

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

that litany is only for the chaplain himself

This is way more reasonable but also incredibly disappointing.

EDIT: turns out it takes 10 dudes buffed to the gills to do the deed with power swords, which still seems really good? Extra attacks on 6s and improved charge reliability is still real good.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 21, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I love it.

Holy gently caress my Blood Boys will rip face.

So hyped.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Holy gently caress my Blood Boys will rip face.

So hyped.

Just the +2" charge and +3" consolidate puts Death Company plus Astaroth and Lemartes on loving ice skates, the extra hits on 6s and the rerolling all hits is a bonus at that point.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Paint so thick the eye lens area is flat. What do you use for stripping paint?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the primaris 40k thread is just a test-run to replace and eventually squat regular 40k threads

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ayn Marx posted:

Only Schadenboner boom3 has the necessary energy to make new 40k ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It would have been nothing but gundam models as far as the eye could see...

:rip: boomboomboom