Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I feel a need to repeat my sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

We are. No cake at this wedding, only pie.

Congratulations

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/namiji-the-next-chapter-in-the-tokaido-universe/

Tokaido sequel (?) is already funded. I love the aesthetic, but the gameplay is probably shallow as hell.

I saw it at Spiel. You would not be mistaken. It might be as complex as Tokaido with both expansions, but only just.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/msgames/turrim-dice-its-how-wizards-roll

The one company that made the gazebo tower dice stack thing is making a wizard tower thing now

I think it looks neat. Obviously it isn't something that would work super well as actual dice but as a decorate piece, I think it is neat and cool. Their other color choices are pretty meh though, with some looking kinda interesting but all kinda suffering from being too harsh on the eyes imo.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/corvusbelli/infinity-defiance

into the last 48 hours. whole lot of neat sci-fi models that come with a board game that'll probably be pretty decent

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The fact that they are sprue models frightens the hell outta me.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

why

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

djfooboo posted:

The fact that they are sprue models frightens the hell outta me.

the all in price scares me more than the metal miniatures..

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Glue and me aren’t great together

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That explains your posting (seeing as the forums say "glue" when you click to submit your post)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Kickstarter for Dawn of Madness, a prequel to Deep Madness, is launching tomorrow. It looks like a stripped down Etherfields, but this paragraph caught my eye.

quote:

In this campaign we will have two levels of stretch goals: Core-level stretch goals, and Otherworld-level stretch goals. Backers at the Core Experience pledge level will receive all Core-level stretch goals, and backers at the Otherworld Experience pledge level will receive all stretch goals from both the Core Experience and the Otherworld Experience.

I'm interested to see how they pull this off as well as backers are going to respond to it. It strikes me along the lines of "freemium vs. VIP" to use a poor analogy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A lot of Kickstarters have done this tiered system. I think Mantic and Modiphius both did.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think it really comes down to how they allocate things between the two levels

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/corvusbelli/infinity-defiance

into the last 48 hours. whole lot of neat sci-fi models that come with a board game that'll probably be pretty decent

Given it's Corvus Belli, how horny are the minis?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Given it's Corvus Belli, how horny are the minis?

less horny than average. it's a lot of aliens and fewer combat heels. people are getting massively turgid for the buff red alien woman tho

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Looking at the Dawn of Madness campaign, I love the minis and the aesthetic but fuuuuck the plot / story is dull and trite and the gameplay itself seems unnecessarily complex and unrewarding. Watching a video of their future projects (skirmish game with minis based on Chinese mythology and a fighting card game with fairytale characters-but-edgy) it seems like they've got a great artist / sculptor on their team and a complete edgelord handling everything else. I'm disappointed but also glad I don't feel compelled to pledge.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Great Minis, lovely Game" is practically its own Kickstarter-supported genre, these days I just assume any game that starts off by showcasing a zillion intricate mini sculpts is gonna be dogshit and go from there.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-the-board-game

Divinity: Original Sin is getting a board game. I played Divinity: Original Sin 2 on PC and it was absolutely one of the best games I've ever played, but I'm not sure about the switch to a board game, because the expansive story was definitely one of my favorite parts of the game.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

cyberia posted:

Looking at the Dawn of Madness campaign, I love the minis and the aesthetic but fuuuuck the plot / story is dull and trite and the gameplay itself seems unnecessarily complex and unrewarding. Watching a video of their future projects (skirmish game with minis based on Chinese mythology and a fighting card game with fairytale characters-but-edgy) it seems like they've got a great artist / sculptor on their team and a complete edgelord handling everything else. I'm disappointed but also glad I don't feel compelled to pledge.

I agree. Also two years out? I get absolutely underpromising/over deliver but that's pretty out there for something that shouldn't take as long assuming they have their ducks in a row.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OgreNoah posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-the-board-game

Divinity: Original Sin is getting a board game. I played Divinity: Original Sin 2 on PC and it was absolutely one of the best games I've ever played, but I'm not sure about the switch to a board game, because the expansive story was definitely one of my favorite parts of the game.

The license definitely got my attention, especially since it's using origins, which were a great addition to DOS2 that I hope they'll do more with in future games. That said, I think going so directly from a video game to a board game is really going to highlight what's missing instead of playing to the strengths of the different medium, at a higher price. I'll follow the campaign for sure, but I doubt I'll end up backing it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I agree. Also two years out? I get absolutely underpromising/over deliver but that's pretty out there for something that shouldn't take as long assuming they have their ducks in a row.

As somebody who backed Siege of the Citadel, a KS that was aggressive about their delivery date and then missed it by over two years, my own personal preference is that they be honest about their expected delivery date.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 20, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OgreNoah posted:

You know how sometimes a bad movie will reference a much better movie and make you wish you were just watching the better movie? I feel like that may be an issue for boardgames like this, where there's a direct link that makes you think, man I wish I were just playing Original Sin 2.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

cyberia posted:

Looking at it, I can’t see if they’ve got any physical models or prototypes for their incredibly detailed digital sculpts, which is always something that makes me hesitate. With greens, you can at least see that the physical thing exists/may have been cast.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hedningen posted:

Looking at it, I can’t see if they’ve got any physical models or prototypes for their incredibly detailed digital sculpts, which is always something that makes me hesitate. With greens, you can at least see that the physical thing exists/may have been cast.
Play the video at the top, they have some real-life painted models on the board.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hedningen posted:

I saw painted versions of probably a few dozen of them at their Gencon booth, they were actually pretty awesome. I'd assume they were resin prototypes rather than production minis, though. Game/setting isn't really my thing but the company seems pretty trustworthy in the sense that you will certainly eventually get your stuff.

Kai Tave posted:

"Great Minis, lovely Game" is practically its own Kickstarter-supported genre, these days I just assume any game that starts off by showcasing a zillion intricate mini sculpts is gonna be dogshit and go from there.

Then there's Awaken Realms, which takes the opposite approach. I just got my copy of Tainted Grail and the first two sessions were great, but based on the quality of the handful of minis (the 4 PCs and some 80mm-ish statues) that come with the basic version I'm glad I didn't spring for the deluxe big box of minis to go with it.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 21, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thinking about it some more, even aside from my skepticism about translating Divinity Original Sin into a board game, $120 really seems too high for what's been revealed so far. Not every game's going to be Gloomhaven when it comes to value of course, but still. Apparently the company Larian partnered with for this has a pretty bad reputation for massively failing to deliver on at least one kickstarter before too? Even if Larian's involvement ensures that wouldn't happen here, I'm completely turned off on this campaign now.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Sinteres posted:

Thinking about it some more, even aside from my skepticism about translating Divinity Original Sin into a board game, $120 really seems too high for what's been revealed so far. Not every game's going to be Gloomhaven when it comes to value of course, but still. Apparently the company Larian partnered with for this has a pretty bad reputation for massively failing to deliver on at least one kickstarter before too? Even if Larian's involvement ensures that wouldn't happen here, I'm completely turned off on this campaign now.

Lynnvander Studios were involved in the Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops campaign which massively, massively poo poo the bed with delivering the product (estimated delivery was October 2018 and they're still working on shipping to everywhere except the USA). The whole campaign has been plagued with absolute piss poor communication from the creators and to top it off the game (which has been available at retail for months) is apparently pretty lackluster.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
$120 USD would get you and 3 friends each a copy of Divinity 2, and I can't see the boardgame being substantially better than that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I bounced off DOS2 hard when I played it a year ago. I had a bunch of quests to do, but I felt like trying to accomplish any of them was nearly impossible because I'd run into an encounter and get completely wiped. I play a lot of RPGs so it's not like I don't get how tactical combat works. This was early on in the game too after getting to the island. I must be missing something because everyone sings its praises.

Is it worth another try? Is there some key that makes it more approachable?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I bounced off DOS2 hard when I played it a year ago. I had a bunch of quests to do, but I felt like trying to accomplish any of them was nearly impossible because I'd run into an encounter and get completely wiped. I play a lot of RPGs so it's not like I don't get how tactical combat works. This was early on in the game too after getting to the island. I must be missing something because everyone sings its praises.

this is a pretty common experience, the first area is kind of rough. the key is, if you run into an early encounter that kicks your rear end, ignore it for now and find something else, then come back to it when you've levelled up and got some basic gear

it also helps to use the (now integrated as an option in the game, although it still disables achievements) mod that allows respeccing from the start, since that lets you play around with your character builds a bit more

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I found DOS2 clunky and unpredictable. Targeting enemies who animate with pixel perfect hitboxes led to frequent misclicks. Skills were too expensive. Graphical areas of effect and ground puddles were not representative of their mechanics. I got turned off it pretty quick.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I also bounced off DOS2. If I saw a fight coming I could prep and it would be trivial. If I didn't see it coming, I'd get destroyed. And it was way, way too slow. I really liked the story and the world but after sinking 20 hours into the game I'd barely started, so I gave up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I had the same experience with DOS1, apparently it's actually level gated pretty hard so you have to do stuff in a specific order. I just gave up.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Moon Monster posted:

I had the same experience with DOS1, apparently it's actually level gated pretty hard so you have to do stuff in a specific order. I just gave up.

Me too, twice. I sometimes think about playing it with a guide as to what order to take things, but, much like I've seen with Romancing Saga 3, it kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarted DOS, got bored with an early set-piece encounter, and got exploded or something for digging a hole in town. Deleted it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've still never gotten out of the starter city in DoS1, after like 4 tries.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

S.J. posted:

I've still never gotten out of the starter city in DoS1, after like 4 tries.

It just has such horrible pacing issues. You start with like 2-3 hours of straight fighting to get off of the beach and starter dungeon, and then the city is like 4 hours of just running around, talking to people, finding things, fetch quests and whatever else before you actually fight again.

DoS2 fixed this a bit, but it's still the same core game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
DOS also gives every female character boobplate and high heels.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

cyberia posted:

Lynnvander Studios were involved in the Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops campaign which massively, massively poo poo the bed with delivering the product (estimated delivery was October 2018 and they're still working on shipping to everywhere except the USA). The whole campaign has been plagued with absolute piss poor communication from the creators and to top it off the game (which has been available at retail for months) is apparently pretty lackluster.

Considering they communicated the fact that it was their fulfillment company, not the publisher (Catalyst) or the designer (Lynnvander), kinda pointing fingers at the wrong place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

kinkouin posted:

Considering they communicated the fact that it was their fulfillment company, not the publisher (Catalyst) or the designer (Lynnvander), kinda pointing fingers at the wrong place there.

I think the fault really lies with Catalyst who seemingly took no action after the distributor made a massive gently caress up then spent months avoiding making any sort of statement to their backers and are only just now seeming to get on top of things but, unfortunately, being associated with a failed or troubled project still makes people wary of your future endeavours even if you were never the one at fault.