Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Streak posted:

Why are you downplaying the fact that the lady was almost sexually assaulted, raped, or worse? That's pathetic as balls, dude. Do better, ok? Thanks.

Look I just needed a ride home man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You are a very bad poster and should really quit while you're ahead. :monocle:

OK zoomer

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Traxis posted:

When I was a kid I refused to wear a seatbelt once so my dad just slammed the brakes and I headbutted the dashboard. Always wore it after that.

I was driving my siblings around when I was 15 and brake checked it when the twins wouldn't stay in their seats. I launched a 7 year old into the windshield from the second row and it shattered it lol

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for calling my in-laws despicable?

quote:

My wife and I met 2 years ago. We fell head over heels for each other and pregnant shortly after. My wife lost her job and house at pretty much the same time. Her parents were happy to have her back at home while we searched for our own place.

We had trouble finding a place, so the birth happened while she was still living between my unit and her parent's home. We had discussed logistics before the birth with the parents, and they really wanted my wife to stay with them after the birth. This led to us moving all our baby stuff there, including placing our only carseat in their car.

The birth was not routine. Wife was diagnosed with preeclampsia during her 37 week midwife appointment, and was induced on the spot. The birth was crazy from there on in, resulting in an emergency C section 3 days later. The days passed with our newborn, without contact from the parents. We didn't think anything of it, as they had mentioned being busy with work.

On the fourth day my wife reached out, and found there was a huge grudge about not being told about the danger she had been in, and that it was my fault. I had of course kept them updated the whole time, but I unknowingly had been sending messages to their work number. That didn't matter however, so they delivered an ultimatum. I, specifically, wasn't allowed in their house.

They refused to pick us up from the hospital, resulting in us having to purchase a new carseat for the uber back to my house. I had to renegotiate my rental contract to include wife and baby, and my rent increased. They had our daughters clothes, nappies, bottles and cot, so we had to purchase everything again.

I kept out of the feud. It cleaned out our bond money and left us much worse off financially, but we were still comfortable enough on my wage. Eventually their relationship was mended, and all the hardship they inflicted on us was swept under the rug without apologies. We found a rental the next town over, and things were fine.

We're pregnant with our second child now, and the parents offered to mind our 18m/o during the birth as she can't stay with us. We tentatively accepted the help, thinking things would be better this time. Wife double and triple checked that it was okay over the past few months, and they reassured her multiple times they would be there for her. The C section is scheduled for the 20th of December, and we got confirmation last week.

It turns out they have been booking in work for December this whole time, and they are refusing to come for the C section itself. They very coldly told my partner that I could look after our daughter, and she can do this birth entirely alone, and even said they'd been clear about not being able to help. She was devastated.

I snapped and contacted them separately, calling their actions despicable and demanding they apologise to my wife for letting her down again. This has started another feud, and they refuse to admit any wrongdoing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for calling my in-laws despicable?
We had discussed logistics before the birth with the parents, and they really wanted my wife to stay with them after the birth. This led to us moving all our baby stuff there, including placing our only carseat in their car.

Red flags! Get your giant red flags here!

Seriously though, how the hell did either of them agree to the insane demand of breaking up their family right after their kid was born?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for telling my dad’s wife she is not welcome to come to his memorial service?

quote:

Background: My dad passed away less than a month ago. He lived in another state away from me and the rest of his family. My grandparents went down there to cremate his body and take his ashes to his home state, where we all live. We got his wife to agree to having some of his ashes but we wanted the rest to bury them next to where my brother (his son) is buried. My grandparents took all the ashes and were planning on sending her a vile sometime soon. I dislike my dads wife. And I don’t think she deserves anything of my dads, or to be a part of a service remembering his life. I have a few reasons why: -Her and my dad were broken up when he died. They were not living together. They were still married though and not legally separated. -She had abused him physically. -He had major depression, and she would tell him he was worthless and that his family didn’t love him. -She tore up pictures of my dead brother. He was hysterically crying when he told me this. It broke him. -She tried to get with my dad’s brother while my dad was in the hospital, a few days before he died. -She used him their entire relationship. I don’t think she ever loved him. Because of her status as his wife, she got to make a lot of major decisions regarding him and his body. Which angered the f*ck out of me.
I recently found out that my uncle was planning on flying her up so she can join the memorial service. This sent me over the edge and in my anger, I sent her a few messages telling her to stay away, she’s not welcome, and that I don’t want her near me or my family. I said a lot of other hurtful things and made it clear that I don’t ever want her in my space again. I find out that the reason my uncle wanted to fly her up was so that it can be a “bargaining tool”. He’s trying to negotiate us getting all my dads ashes in exchange for her saying goodbye. But I don’t want her in a space meant for healing. I believe only people who loved him unconditionally should be there. She was not one of those people. She doesn’t deserve any of my dads ashes. But I’ve made peace with it. I absolutely never want to see her again and if she was at the service it would be very traumatic for me. AITA for telling her she’s not welcome to come to her husbands memorial service?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA For Ruining a Girl's Sneakers?

quote:

This happened a week or so ago and I can't get it out of my mind, so I've decided to write about it here.

I (20F) was sitting in a busy train in the late evening. It was about 10pm at this time and I was tired, cold, soaked by the rain and hungry, so in no mood to be messed with.

The train is always very busy, but because I get on at its first stop I usually manage to score a seat by the window. This was one of those days. I plop myself into my seat and zone out for the next three hours.

Fast forward to my stop. At this point, a girl has taken the seat next to me, so I wait until the train has slowed down before grabbing my bags and asking her if she could move for a second as this is my stop and I needed to get off. She doesn't respond so I assume she didn't hear me and softly tap her shoulder. She finally looks up and I wait for her to take off her headphones. She doesn't, so I simply repeat my question, “Hey, this is my stop. Could you please move for a second?” I even make a point of pointing at the exit.

To my complete surprise, she just looks down at her phone again and doesn't move out of the way. The train has stopped at this point and people are leaving. I get incredibly anxious because missing my stop would force me to sit in that train for another 40 minutes, and then I'd have to make the travel back to my actual stop. Not really part of my schedule at midnight, and I wasn't even sure if there would be a train to take me back that late.

I tap the girl's shoulder again, and I do admit that I was annoyed at this point, so I probably could've been gentler. She looks up to me and finally takes off her headphones. “What?”

I'm average size and look younger than I am, so I'm not very intimidating at all. I just say, clearly annoyed, “This is my stop” and point at the exit again. She doesn't move.

I've decided I'm done with this, the train is going to continue moving any second now and I really don't want to miss my stop. So I think screw it and just move in-between the girl and the seat in front of her. And in doing so, I plant my muddy boot on her white sneaker. Let me clarify that I didn't do this on purpose, I was just rushing to get out of that situation.

She explodes. I can hear her raise her voice behind me, but I keep walking just to get out of that drat train. At this point I'm just relieved to make it onto the platform before the train drives off.

The girl actually follows me out and onto the platform. The train continues but she doesn't seem to care at all. She's just pointing at her shoe and how I ‘ruined’ it, telling me they were expensive and blabla. She demands to have my number so I can refund it later and honestly, I just give it to her. I just want to go home.

I blocked her number as soon as she texted me, but I can't let the situation go. I'm sure she had a rough day too and me stepping on her shoes probably didn't make it any better. Should I unblock and apologize?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Stupid validation post.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DemoneeHo posted:

NTA. Bitch had it coming when she blocked the girl on the train.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Neito posted:

NTA. Bitch had it coming when she blocked the girl on the train.

“Bitch had it coming?” Tell us more about what “bitches” you think “have it coming.” Victim blaming is never cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DemoneeHo posted:

It's really weird when people post obviously justified stuff like this as if they have no friends or family to talk to in their lives.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's really weird when people post obviously justified stuff like this as if they have no friends or family to talk to in their lives.

They post on reddit, of course they don't

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

goethe.cx posted:

“Bitch had it coming?” Tell us more about what “bitches” you think “have it coming.” Victim blaming is never cool

What

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Just a troll. Ignore it and it'll starve.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

my boyfriend wants to name the dog after himself

quote:

i'm just going to get right to the point, my bf and i have been talking about getting a dog for months and ever since we started actually going to shelters and looking for one he's been saying that he wants to name it matteo. matteo is my bf's name. i thought he was joking, as he usually is, but now he's saying that he's not joking and he really wants to name it matteo. i don't know what to do because i definitely dont want my dog and bf to have the same name and i dont even know why he would want to name the dog after himself. like wtf

matteo stop pissing on the drat carpet. No, not dog matteo, i mean human matteo

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neito posted:

Just a troll. Ignore it and it'll starve.

Maybe so but quite a few posters in here are giddy to call a woman in a story a bitch whenever there's the slightest excuse. Why is that?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

extremely online posted:

Maybe so but quite a few posters in here are giddy to call a woman in a story a bitch whenever there's the slightest excuse. Why is that?
I see the all men are scum sentiment way more often. Of course, that's pretty much true...

Extremely online

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both of those women were nearly sexually assaulted or worse and it's really gross that you're all downplaying that aspect of the story.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Einstein posted:

I see the all men are scum sentiment way more often. Of course, that's pretty much true...

I haven't seen that. Can you link to some examples?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Streak shut the gently caress up already

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

extremely online posted:

I haven't seen that. Can you link to some examples?

lol

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

henkman posted:

Yeah that made me laugh pretty hard

Huh? This is a really common response to anger, especially with women. I've known a bunch of people who do that. My mom does it, and I used to do it too. One of the only emotional differences I noticed after starting testosterone besides increased anxiety is that I don't cry when frustrated or angry anymore. I still cry at anything emotional that doesn't involve me personally (stereotypical 'cries at hallmark commercials' basically). Not being able to not cry as an emotional response isn't some weird thing or a sign of weakness. It's just a thing some people do.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Wife (27F) threatened to divorce me if I don't get my degree (41M)

quote:

OK, so here's my story I dropped out of my undergrad program in engineering back in the early 2000's and ended up spending years in retail. Sometime in about 2011 on a whim I decided to go to Asia and I stayed for a while. Things were pretty good over there and I made a fair amount of money teaching ESL. Ended up marrying my Asian wife over there and now we are back in the US where she is getting a PhD. My father in law really wants me to get a degree "to save face" and offered to pay for my tuition for me to get a Bachelor's. So right now I'm in a community college trying to get refreshed on things but even this is proving to be a challenge keeping up with some of the younger 18 or 19 year old kids not to mention being very draining to the ego when these kids get it and you don't. So basically I hate it. I think I'm probably pulling a C or D average now and my wife is breathing down my throat about how I'm wasting her family's money and not being serious about our life together. I've noticed that she also spends a lot of time at the lab and has been getting quite friendly with some of the Chinese foreign students there and half suspect she might be cheating despite the fact that she's Korean.

TL;DR = Asian wife and me moved back to America after living in Korea so she could do her PhD. She threatened to divorce me if I can't get a Bachelor's degree.

When asked what he wants to do with his life:

quote:

Honestly I'm not sure. To be honest my wife's family is fairly well off and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about money. Like I could just coast and run a small business or become a youtube or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am become Youtube, Destroyer of Lives.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i vomit kittens posted:

troll but loll

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so many levels of trolling

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

How the hell did he get a decent ESL gig in Korea without a Bachelor's degree? That was the only standard those places had, but it was pretty firm.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I was hoping my young Asian wife's family would just pay for everything and I can just do a YouTube or something I dunno

Almost certainly full of poo poo

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm still mad about the guy who nearly murdered someone's mother with a food allergy.

The OP shouldn't have stopped with a punch, put the old man on the ground and yell at him to get on his feet, stop faking!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
San Luis Obispo Community College is proud to announce our new foreign exchange program with Beijing Polytechnic.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I am become a youtube

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Oh good, there is new prudie this week. I was getting antsy

My Friend and His Girlfriend Plan to Have Her Marry a Rich Guy to Pay Off Her Loans

quote:

Dear Prudence,
A close friend, “Sam,” and his girlfriend, “Emily,” are doing something truly terrible. She has a lot of student debt to pay off, so they have come up with a plan that she will date and marry someone rich, and he will pay off her student loans, and then she will break up with him to be with Sam after a few years. All the while they will be cheating on Mr. Rich together. Sam told me that he is not looking for advice. But he still wants to talk to me about this plan and how it is affecting him a lot. I do not want to talk about this. I think it is despicable to trick someone into marrying you and cheat on them. I don’t think the plan will work, and if it does work, I am not sure I want to continue being friends with this person. But he is still my friend, and I feel I should listen to his woes and try to support him because clearly something is wrong with his judgment right now.

Prudie, I just don’t want to talk about this, and I feel like soon I will explode and share my opinion on this in a nasty way. What should I do? I don’t want to throw away a close friendship of many, many years, but I do not want to know the details of this arrangement or meet the poor soul they are tricking. She is currently dating multiple people, and they said they have two prospects who are very interested in marriage!
—This Is Wrong, Right?

quote:

Ditch Sam. He’s a bad person now. I’m very sorry. You can try to have a talk with him where you do “explode and share [your] opinion on this in a nasty way.” That’s fine. He might even listen. If he doesn’t, he knows why you are not friends anymore. These people are disgusting.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

i vomit kittens posted:

I hate to call out posts in this thread, but this is so transparently fake. None of it makes sense from how he says "he went to Asia", not South Korea, to teach ESL without a bachelor's degree which is impossible without immense credentials and/or very rare connections. Plus the end of the story with thinly veiled casual racism where he says his Korean wife is cheating on him with Chinese students. :rolleyes:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My Husband Has to Inspect the House Every Day

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My husband has this habit of inspecting the house when he gets home. After a quick hug hello, he walks through the house and points out anything out of place: lights being on in an unused room, my shoes in the wrong spot, dishes unwashed. He says he’s unable to relax after work until everything is tidy. He does the vast majority of all household chores, so it’s hard for me to complain about things like putting my shoes in the right spot, but it still feels really patronizing and controlling. I have worked hard to be more tidy (I was a complete slob when we first got together), and he is working to be OK with the house not being spotless, but we still bump heads about this pretty regularly. Advice?
—Taken to Account

quote:

Well, this is nonsense. That’s not appropriate behavior, and he clearly has some issues going on (as do we all). You need to sit down and use your words and say, “This cannot be the tone that gets set for our evening.” I recommend asking him what his top three “this is out of place” things are and saying you will make sure those are handled, but in return he cannot do this ridiculous Downton Abbey butler berating the lesser servants for unironed newspapers bullshit.

You can absolutely compromise here, and it sounds like you’ve already done a fair amount of un-slobbing yourself (kudos!). And I think you would be willing to, you know, turn off lights in exchange for not being treated like a child.

Consult a doctor to help him with his untreated OCD; divorce him if he is still this anal and controlling in the future

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

My Friend and His Girlfriend Plan to Have Her Marry a Rich Guy to Pay Off Her Loans
Yeah, she'll totally leave the rich guy she was loving for the guy that pimped her out. Right?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

seems much easier and faster to just pimp her out the regular way

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I foresee two most likely outcomes.

1) She stays with the rich guy.

2) They jointly discover that, unless you're smoking hot and desirable in other ways to boot, "just go marry a rich guy" is easier said than done, and they give up on the whole thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
3) they discover that getting with a rich guy isn't a magical solution to everything, since 95% of rich guys are sociopaths and 100% of them know about prenups

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

3) they discover that getting with a rich guy isn't a magical solution to everything, since 95% of rich guys are sociopaths and 100% of them know about prenups
Yeah, cause a prenup means her student loans will reappear. Did you read the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
4) the 'rich guy' turns out to be massively in debt himself